Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2009, 19:48   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Very soon. The next upgrade is your's from the Sony amplifier to a DLS!
Yay So you gifting me the DLS

hehe well yes the Sony is long overdue for upgrade but amp upgrade may prompt for other upgrades(3 way etc) so trying to keep away as long as I can
Old 27th September 2009, 02:45   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
Frank, your mono amplifier, it seems, will be a common item in team bhp soon. many here have ordered it for the kind of price its available now. i think its time to upgrade.
+1. The amp would be delivered to me in 15 days
Old 27th September 2009, 10:46   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
the shelf isn't rattling, but I see it move up and down (in the rear view mirror), as though there is a human in the boot kicking it. LOL.
Methinks the air lock building up in the boot (and the opposition to the standing waves) from the parcel shelf is causing some stray waves of bass, causing a slightly (unprecise) muffled bass sensation. I will not be making a hole there. Just removing the stock speakers, hence creating a 'vent' for the bass to enter the cabin.
No harm trying it out - if removing one stock speaker works,then you can patent this "anti-vibration" technology
Old 27th September 2009, 13:49   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Yay So you gifting me the DLS

hehe well yes the Sony is long overdue for upgrade but amp upgrade may prompt for other upgrades(3 way etc) so trying to keep away as long as I can
Take my car itself
Umm, a 3 way shouldn't be your priority right now. Just upgrade to larger midbasses and you are sorted out. You could also go active and HAVE a 3 way with the speakers in the dash, crossed over to be Mid ranges, but that would entail 4 more channels of amplification and you would need 8 channels of amplification in all. Plus a new sub.
Big expense. Usse accha, just get a good amplifier, and upgrade your woofers and your sub woofer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush_Vroom View Post
+1. The amp would be delivered to me in 15 days
Congrats man. Fizz or KMD? I got a good price from KMD for it but FIzz matched it for me. As of now, Fizz has shut down this operation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
No harm trying it out - if removing one stock speaker works,then you can patent this "anti-vibration" technology
LOL. I wish. It's not tried and trusted though. But I hope it works. Something at the back of my mind tells me that the bass is just not emanating in the right manner. Hoping for a quick solution soon!
Old 28th September 2009, 12:02   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
LOL. I wish. It's not tried and trusted though. But I hope it works. Something at the back of my mind tells me that the bass is just not emanating in the right manner. Hoping for a quick solution soon!
Frank, I have tried something similar (as explained in my install thread). In my case there was no stock speaker, instead cardboard "grills" with not so thick carpet stuck over it. Like you "something at the back of my mind" told me that it must be impeding air flow between boot and cabin and therefore I should cut those cardboard grills (leaving the carpet intact, otherwise it would have looked yuck and things kept on parcel tray would have had free falls into boot!). Me too thought that the sub was not sounding the way it should have. May be this is what is known as typical difference in bass in sedan as opposed to hatchback. My original intention behind the change was to see if it help reducing apparent dip in 60-100Hz range (quantity), but it actually did not make much difference to it. Instead, it did make noticeable difference to the quality of overall bass (not just 60-100Hz). It changed muffled bass to cleaner, so to say, so I guess it is more like hatch now! It also reduced parcel tray vibrations (as seen directly, not as seen in the mirror)

That said, in your case stock speakers would act like so called passive radiators! My guesswork suggest that it won't make as much difference as in my case. But you should definitely give it a try in my opinion!!
Old 28th September 2009, 14:13   #81
Senior - BHPian

Frank, may be this is a stupid question or I might have missed something through the pages. You have an Alpine HU, front compos with Amp and a sub in the boot with the second Amp. Am I right ? How about the rear coaxs ? Is it removed or connected directly to the HU ? Please clarify. I found out my neighbour (a floor above me) is the quality controller of one of the importers of JL Audio, DLS, Soundstream and Ultimate. He can get things for a 50% discount specially for me. Is it not a happy news ?? !!!

Last edited by shajufx : 28th September 2009 at 14:15.
Old 28th September 2009, 14:33   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I found out my neighbour (a floor above me) is the quality controller of one of the importers of JL Audio, DLS, Soundstream and Ultimate. He can get things for a 50% discount specially for me. Is it not a happy news ?? !!!
It is indeed a very happy news. Thanks for letting us all know what margin the SSPL people are working on.
Old 28th September 2009, 15:01   #83
Senior - BHPian

Ha Ha, please dont put me into trouble, its nothing to do with the local MRP, but an employee price which is applicable to almost every brand or name. Eventually I might get some good brands for the price of a SONY !
Old 28th September 2009, 15:30   #84
Senior - BHPian

Whether it is MRP or employee price, Frank rightly said- magnet industry is like an ATM. Recently while I talked to a few installers, one of them sadly told me that his business was badly affected by global meltdown (mainly IT). I was reluctant to accept, asked for quantification of the problem. He told me that just a few months ago he used to install minimum of 10 cars a day. Given his installation charge itself is 2K, forget about MRP margins and all and calculate how much he earned monthly. No wonder, his wife drives an Accord. (while IIT profs, govt doctors and pilots being lesser human beings are begging for some salary hike, and in some cases just cancellation of salary cuts!)
Old 28th September 2009, 16:27   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
It is indeed a very happy news. Thanks for letting us all know what margin the SSPL people are working on.
Sir, its usually 100% without calculating the other golmaal the importers do.
By my calculation, they do nowhere close to the volume they can.
Old 28th September 2009, 20:22   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
Frank, I have tried something similar (as explained in my install thread). In my case there was no stock speaker, instead cardboard "grills" with not so thick carpet stuck over it. Like you "something at the back of my mind" told me that it must be impeding air flow between boot and cabin and therefore I should cut those cardboard grills (leaving the carpet intact, otherwise it would have looked yuck and things kept on parcel tray would have had free falls into boot!). Me too thought that the sub was not sounding the way it should have. May be this is what is known as typical difference in bass in sedan as opposed to hatchback. My original intention behind the change was to see if it help reducing apparent dip in 60-100Hz range (quantity), but it actually did not make much difference to it. Instead, it did make noticeable difference to the quality of overall bass (not just 60-100Hz). It changed muffled bass to cleaner, so to say, so I guess it is more like hatch now! It also reduced parcel tray vibrations (as seen directly, not as seen in the mirror)

That said, in your case stock speakers would act like so called passive radiators! My guesswork suggest that it won't make as much difference as in my case. But you should definitely give it a try in my opinion!!
thank you. I meant exactly this. I don't care much about quantity. The quality will surely improve on giving it a vent.

I wouldn't think that the stock speakers would act as passive radiators though!

Quote:
Frank, may be this is a stupid question or I might have missed something through the pages. You have an Alpine HU, front compos with Amp and a sub in the boot with the second Amp. Am I right ? How about the rear coaxs ? Is it removed or connected directly to the HU ? Please clarify. I found out my neighbour (a floor above me) is the quality controller of one of the importers of JL Audio, DLS, Soundstream and Ultimate. He can get things for a 50% discount specially for me. Is it not a happy news ?? !!!
I have an Eclipse HU and Alpine Components in front. NO rear co axials. My head unit is a DEADHEAD, which means there is NO internal amplfication. Hence I can't use it to power my rears. Anyways, powering stock coaxials with HU power in this setup makes no sense. They are crappy paper cone speakers. I will make use of them in the Zen. As of now I am running on a set of components and a subwoofer. No rears. And no plans to buy another amp and a set of rears. No rear passengers as such.

I would say maybe, a DLS amp or a JL Audio subwoofer would be a good idea. BUT, seeing the MRPs, they would STILL be expensive at half the price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
50% is a joke. I would bet on more. Considering their customs duty evasions and what not ;-)

Quote:
Ha Ha, please dont put me into trouble, its nothing to do with the local MRP, but an employee price which is applicable to almost every brand or name. Eventually I might get some good brands for the price of a SONY !
I would suggest you find out prices for stuff and ask how much it will cost you eventually. Post them here and people will advice you on whether it's cost effective or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
Whether it is MRP or employee price, Frank rightly said- magnet industry is like an ATM. Recently while I talked to a few installers, one of them sadly told me that his business was badly affected by global meltdown (mainly IT). I was reluctant to accept, asked for quantification of the problem. He told me that just a few months ago he used to install minimum of 10 cars a day. Given his installation charge itself is 2K, forget about MRP margins and all and calculate how much he earned monthly. No wonder, his wife drives an Accord. (while IIT profs, govt doctors and pilots being lesser human beings are begging for some salary hike, and in some cases just cancellation of salary cuts!)
you forgot us poor dentists. We drive esteems and zens. Yeh fiesta to chori ki hai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Sir, its usually 100% without calculating the other golmaal the importers do.
By my calculation, they do nowhere close to the volume they can.
I would say even more than even 100%. LOL.
Old 28th September 2009, 21:34   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As of now I am running on a set of components and a subwoofer. No rears. ....
May be I could do the same thing, avoiding the rear completely.

Quote:
I would say maybe, a DLS amp or a JL Audio subwoofer would be a good idea. BUT, seeing the MRPs, they would STILL be expensive at half the price
Got your point, I will check all possible areas before even committing to a brand or model. I am still trying to find some possibilities of keeping the stock HU and improving the sound quality (got inspired through this link JL Audio CleanSweep - OEM Interface Car Audio.) But most of the searches and enquiries have given very few chances of preserving it. So if HU gives no choices, I will have to consider (strictly a 2 DIN unit) Pioneer AVH P4150 DVD or similar stuff with JL Audio Compos and a Sub with 4 channel Amp. Its just the start of my homework, whole of October might be enough to finalise the stuff .
Old 28th September 2009, 21:37   #88
Senior - BHPian

Shaju. I LIKE what you are talking about! Does this mean that another Fiesta Bhpian is sacrificed to the ICE Gods??????? Was I at all instrumental in this? <tauba tauba>
Old 28th September 2009, 21:58   #89
Senior - BHPian

Partially YES, but I am very reserved in my budget. I think everyone is that way when they start thinking about ICE ! I just want clean, crisp, powerful (not high volume) and lively music in the car, so trying to get that without compromising on quality at the lowest budget possible. Very sad part is, I cant find a single bhpian here to get a proper auditioning of some set up already done. I am not that kind who might trace some DINCHAK on road and ask for technical details.

Last edited by shajufx : 28th September 2009 at 22:01.
Old 28th September 2009, 22:03   #90
Senior - BHPian

to flashback about a year back. I needed the same. My budget was 5k then. Do the math.
iski to gayee!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks