Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2009, 20:07   #166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
It's not "gain". It's a channel trim feature. You can do it in incremental steps of -1dB for every channel independently.
If it is in steps of -1dB, then theoretically it must be called gain. If it is to be called trim or attenuation then steps must be expressed in terms of +1dB instead!

Quote:
If you use balance, you will imbalance the subwoofer.
You meant to say "stereo" subs? If it is mono sub, then I think it can be balanced again, no?
(I assume you are not talking about mid-woofers of front speakers themselves)

LBM, as Abhinav pointed out, it all started with both tweeters facing towards a single listener. So, it is not dead horse, probably a newborn yearling.
Old 29th October 2009, 21:48   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
If it is in steps of -1dB, then theoretically it must be called gain. If it is to be called trim or attenuation then steps must be expressed in terms of +1dB instead!
Didn't get you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
You meant to say "stereo" subs? If it is mono sub, then I think it can be balanced again, no?
(I assume you are not talking about mid-woofers of front speakers themselves)
Even if there is one subwoofer (whether fed mixed mono or stereo, it is irrelevant), if you shift balance the subwoofer level will reduce.
Old 29th October 2009, 23:34   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Didn't get you.
I meant whether to call it gain or trim is a trivial matter. +1dB = -1dB trim, similarly +1dB trim = -1dB gain.

Quote:
Even if there is one subwoofer (whether fed mixed mono or stereo, it is irrelevant), if you shift balance the subwoofer level will reduce.
Yes, mono sub level will reduce. but you should be able to easily correct it by using say mono amp's gain. That's what I meant by "it can be balanced again".
Old 3rd November 2009, 15:52   #169
Senior - BHPian

Frank: That's a lovely setup of the pods. Workmen ship is awesome.
There is a CIVIC with pods in the front quarter glass in our forum. That is also a awesome mod.
Old 6th November 2009, 14:22   #170
Senior - BHPian

Frank, i suppose you are not using rear speaker as of now. how about using one of its area for a tuned bass port for your subwoofer in box in box design?
Old 7th November 2009, 00:31   #171
BHPian

@ Frank Mehta

Sirji, may we now know the price of those tweeter pods.
Old 18th November 2009, 21:25   #172
BHPian

What an amazing job, Congrats Frank.
If you dont mind me asking, what was the price for the whole thing including the Hardware and Installation??
Old 18th November 2009, 23:37   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Frank: That's a lovely setup of the pods. Workmen ship is awesome.
There is a CIVIC with pods in the front quarter glass in our forum. That is also a awesome mod.
thanks! i believe that's M4uGr8's Civic you're talking about. It's pretty amazing too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
Frank, i suppose you are not using rear speaker as of now. how about using one of its area for a tuned bass port for your subwoofer in box in box design?
You got me interested! Please elaborate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
@ Frank Mehta

Sirji, may we now know the price of those tweeter pods.
I STILL havent got the bill from Ajay Kamath. Looks like A2ZAudio is doing charity nowadays

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyMan View Post
What an amazing job, Congrats Frank.
If you dont mind me asking, what was the price for the whole thing including the Hardware and Installation??
I have decided to keep the amount of the equipment under wraps for personal reasons, but yes, it was pretty astronomical. Totally worth it though, and the fact that I no longer wish to upgrade, says it all

The installation was in the higher 20's alongwith damping, and there is still the bill for the tweeter pods to be settled.
Old 19th November 2009, 12:22   #174
BHPian

Frank, My sincerest apologies if I asked too much. Honestly I loved your setup so much that i thought i would get the identical thing in the near future. I mean one of the best cars around with such a nice setup, You have one Collector Item in your Garage.
However could you let me know some person in Delhi who could do such stuff?? I am from Ludhiana and over here I dont think anyone can do what you have got done.
Old 19th November 2009, 20:34   #175
Senior - BHPian

no hassles bro. I am not hurt or something. LOL.
Thank you so much for the compliments man. Anyway you should try going to LBM (Faridabad) or Gyro (Motinagar, Delhi) for installation.
Old 25th November 2009, 23:56   #176
Senior - BHPian

A small addition is about to happen tomorrow.
Will update this space with pics.

PS: it is not a guessing game. Just a minor bolstering of equipment.
Old 26th November 2009, 14:47   #177
Senior - BHPian

How is your car's rear tray arrangement now? have you put in a new mdf board or have you put in grills in place of rear speakers?
Old 26th November 2009, 15:14   #178
BHPian

Guys, Gigy, this may sound OT but I guess even Frank would identify with my problem- I have my subwoofer in a sealed box in the boot of my Santro (hatch), and on top of that lies a very heavy MDF tray - the ones that are pre-fabricated for a pair of 6x9 and an IB sub (don't ask me why I got it in the first place). This tray still has 6x9 speakers on it (no sub), they are disconnected though.

Now for the problem- I feel that bass is muffled, muddled, or doing both in various songs sometimes. To address the issue, I pulled out the 12" lid that was latched to the hole to "try and get more bass in the car", I think this has helped a bit, but I still feel bass is muddled. On some bass heavy songs (try Moby's Bodyrock), I being on driver's seat get a feeling that I am sitting in a different cabin, and bass is coming from a different room!

Why is this happening? Are my 6x9 speakers mounted on the MDF tray acting as very poor passive radiators? Is the heaviness of tray the culprit? I thought of a solution- to get a MDF wireframe made that fits the contours of my parcel tray, but instead of any wood or solid material in the center, to use black cloth as a wireframe-wrapper. Do you think this would solve my problem? Or is there any other suggestion? I just want the damn low frequencies to move around my seat more freely
Old 26th November 2009, 15:36   #179
Senior - BHPian

Hi all!!

I have gone and done it ONCE again :-(
Here's an idea of what I did today while shopping.

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-26112009013.jpg

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-26112009003.jpgFord Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-26112009004.jpgFord Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-26112009006.jpg

1. Morel Tempo 6*9 CoAxials
for the rear shelf (finally: here's the surprise. Rear Fills. See? I told you it was not a major jump in terms of equipment!)

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-26112009007.jpg
2. JBL GT5-S644 4 Channel Amplifier for the rears. Someone will ask. Why a 4 channel amplifier for the rears? My answer is simple. The rears are rated @ 140 W RMS continuous. The new JBL GT5-S644 gives a super 70*4. I will be bridging both channels and powering the Morels. That will thus be able to provide more mid bass and bolster the highs. (this was what I meant by the 'bolstering' part all along)

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-26112009015.jpg
3. MX 10 Feet RCA Cable for the Morels

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-26112009012.jpg
4. My Shaldan Perfumes for both cars

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-26112009009.jpg

5. Pioneer DEH-2190UB for the Zen (which is getting a slightly better audio system than already was)

STILL TO BE PROCURED.
6. Illusion Electra 5.1 for the Zen.

Wallet Empty. Period.

Last edited by frankmehta : 26th November 2009 at 15:38.
Old 26th November 2009, 15:49   #180
Senior - BHPian

Congrats dude! I think you need a 'fix' every 6 months or so, right?

Aren't the Fiesta rears 5x7? Planning to use spacers? How much are the Morels if you dont mind me asking.
Gilead is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks