Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2009, 15:55   #181
Senior - BHPian

Hi Vijay. My 'fix' is a 3 monthly one, not a 6 monthly one ;-)

And the Morels cost me Rs. 8500.
Whereas the JBL Amp cost me Rs. 5500
and the RCA cost Rs. 450
and the Head Unit from Pioneer cost Rs. 5500
and the Shaldan perfumes for Rs. 200 each.
Old 26th November 2009, 16:01   #182
Senior - BHPian

Franky, thanks for calling me to update about your upgrades ! So nice of you.

I was infact refreshing your page every 10 mts to see whats coming up ! Anyway the first thing I noticed was the Morel, you cant go wrong with it for sure as I was strongly advised to go for them in my upgrade, but I chose to keep rears pending for a while. Overall its a fantastic addition to the existing set-up. Let us also know how you find the My Shaldon Squash, may be I should get that when my Lemon gets over.

Waiting to hear more about the installation and the final tuning part !
Old 26th November 2009, 16:10   #183
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Shaju. I was pretty sold on rear fills ever since my parents were cribbing, saying that we spent XXXX amount on the audio system and all they can feel is just the Bass in the rear seats. Needed something competent enough to match the finesse of the fronts and something that wouldn't kill the soundstage by sounding too bright or too loud. Morel Tempos are good speakers, but I am yet to hear a co axial from Morel.

Let's see how it gels with the setup. One sad thing is that the 'ports' for the sub will shut again, by the rears. Let's see how it goes!
Old 26th November 2009, 16:13   #184
Senior - BHPian

OT: Is it just me or does that 'lemon' in that perfume box look more like an Orange? Do lemons in Mumbai look like that? lol
Old 26th November 2009, 16:23   #185
Senior - BHPian

Lets see your review on how the morels fight it out with the jbl monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
Guys, Gigy, this may sound OT but I guess even Frank would identify with my problem- I have my subwoofer in a sealed box in the boot of my Santro (hatch), and on top of......
why do you want to keep that tray anyways now. you may need the subwoofer/amplifier checked at any of our audio guru's place for proper matching

Last edited by gigy : 26th November 2009 at 16:30.
Old 26th November 2009, 16:25   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Thank you Shaju. I was pretty sold on rear fills ever since my parents were cribbing, saying that we spent XXXX amount on the audio system and all they can feel is just the Bass in the rear seats. Needed something competent enough to match the finesse of the fronts and something that wouldn't kill the soundstage by sounding too bright or too loud. Morel Tempos are good speakers, but I am yet to hear a co axial from Morel.

Let's see how it gels with the setup. One sad thing is that the 'ports' for the sub will shut again, by the rears. Let's see how it goes!
Good Choice of equipment there Frank. Good to see you joining the morel Club partly
The Tempo series from morels are good and worth the price, it's just that the midbass is more subtle and smooth and not to heavy. I have the Morel Pulse coax on my rear doors. And can tell you one thing the high and vocals are nice and clean, laidback, smooth, not bright.. whatever you wanna term it as.
With bridged output they will really shine. But I am afraid they might over power against your front setup, as they have a higher sensitivity compared to the front comps that you have. Solution you know it set the gains accordingly.
Lets hear what you have to say about them once you install it.

Cheers!
Old 26th November 2009, 16:30   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One sad thing is that the 'ports' for the sub will shut again, by the rears. Let's see how it goes!
I forgot to type that part when I posted earlier. That was the first thing flashed through my mind when you told me about rear speakers. Could that result in boot vibration as you are suppressing the air-power into a tight space ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
OT: Is it just me or does that 'lemon' in that perfume box look more like an Orange? Do lemons in Mumbai look like that? lol
I think its sweet lemon, because My Shaldan has another product named Lime. That has the actual small lemon picture on the tin.
Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-myshaldan.jpg

Last edited by shajufx : 26th November 2009 at 16:36.
Old 26th November 2009, 16:39   #188
Senior - BHPian

Shaju - so another topic coming up on 'Lemon''? -Joking
Unni might be driving now-towards his hometown?
Old 26th November 2009, 16:52   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
why do you want to keep that tray anyways now. you may need the subwoofer/amplifier checked at any of our audio guru's place for proper matching
I don't want/need the tray, but I need to hide my sub and amp (on the backwall of the backseat) from thieves, have had two HUs stolen and am a little paranoid about car security these days. The wireframe is just to provide a firm foundation to keep the black cloth- so that people won't see what's inside the boot from rear window or side C-pillar window.

Regarding matching, I'm feeding some 280-300 wrms (JBL 1004 rear 2 ch bridged) to a 400wrms sub (GZ TW30T). I don't think the sub is badly underpowered, or am I wrong here? The gains have been set up personally by me after many weeks of trial and dissatisfaction, right now they are at 55-57 minute mark (just before 12 o'clock mark) and go a little higher than gains for my front comps. Of course, this is a sealed enclosure we are talking about.

@Frank, are you happy with your sub's sound now, mate? I remember you also having some issues with muffled bass some time back...

Last edited by greenh0rn : 26th November 2009 at 17:04.
Old 26th November 2009, 16:55   #190
Senior - BHPian

Nairsab, I think Lemon is part of our daily life specially for men (not only the SX4 gang!). We like to have a lemon in the car, one on the dining table and few after sun-set.
Old 26th November 2009, 17:10   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post

Regarding matching, I'm feeding some 280-300 wrms (JBL 1004 rear 2 ch bridged) to a 400wrms sub (GZ TW30T). I don't think the sub is badly underpowered, or am I wrong here? The gains have been set up personally by me after many weeks of trial and dissatisfaction, right now they are at 55-57 minute mark (just before 12 o'clock mark) and go a little higher than gains for my front comps. Of course, this is a sealed enclosure we are talking about.
What happened about the enclosure Rishi, I suppose you wanted to build a new enclosure for the same ?
Old 26th November 2009, 20:38   #192
Senior - BHPian

My system sounds as good as it should. muffled bass was never a problem. I am still trying to find out why 1200 odd W of raw RMS power is not showing. No drama, no boom, just plain old sub bass. LOL.
I am going to try out a new enclosure soon, maybe, to see how much difference the position of the subwoofer and a new house for it can make to the overall soundstage. I am very happy with it, but that little bit of something missing was always felt. I am now awaiting the install of the rears.

I am going to have them installed tomorrow or on Saturday. Knowing the no. of projects M/s Sounds Good is doing right now, this might be delayed further (with prior notice though ;-)
Old 26th November 2009, 22:06   #193
BHPian

You definitely have gone and done it once again! The Morel's a wonderful choice. I had an opportunity to eavesdrop on an install happening with a complete Morel speaker set-up in Coimbatore a few months ago and they sounded great. Congrats!
Old 27th November 2009, 08:46   #194
Senior - BHPian

Actually I asked Ajay for his advice this time. The Morels are rated @ 140 RMS each, which I feel is massive. I would be providing them with 200w on each side. They shall be hpfed mostly. But slightly lower down @ 63 hertz. Sub bass was never a problem. But getting these to blend with the fronts and the mad kicking sub will be a challenge. Anyhow Ajay is going to be doing it, so I am not worried. Just in case he decides to NOT bridge 2 channels each for the rears, I will have 2 channels extra. Which will never be put into use because ill have exhausted the no. Of speakers in the car. I had thought about that before picking this amp, but picked it over the 2 channel for want of more power (70 watts per channel vis a vis 45 watts per channel in the 422 model) and more flexibility.

Awaiting the install. Excited like a child to hear how the Morels sound. I know I won't experience them much myself while driving. But it might give more body to the entire soundstage and beef up the midbass.
Will update everyone with a report and some pictures once I have an idea as to what is happening.
Old 27th November 2009, 12:30   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually I asked Ajay for his advice this time. The Morels are rated @ 140 RMS each, which I feel is massive. I would be providing them with 200w on each side. They shall be hpfed mostly. But slightly lower down @ 63 hertz. Sub bass was never a problem. But getting these to blend with the fronts and the mad kicking sub will be a challenge. Anyhow Ajay is going to be doing it, so I am not worried. Just in case he decides to NOT bridge 2 channels each for the rears, I will have 2 channels extra. Which will never be put into use because ill have exhausted the no. Of speakers in the car. I had thought about that before picking this amp, but picked it over the 2 channel for want of more power (70 watts per channel vis a vis 45 watts per channel in the 422 model) and more flexibility.

Awaiting the install. Excited like a child to hear how the Morels sound. I know I won't experience them much myself while driving. But it might give more body to the entire soundstage and beef up the midbass.
Will update everyone with a report and some pictures once I have an idea as to what is happening.
You probably not feeling the 1200RMS could be coz of the Differential Drive System working efficiently which sends out low distortion, cleaner bass, more transparent.

More power to the Morels is always good. But how to blend them is the difficult part, but once you use the TA and bandlimit them they should add to your front stage. But if you simply running them for the rear passenger and would later switch them of for your use, than I suppose no need to run under bridge mode. But be careful with xover point on them. In my case I have bandlimited them and it add some more open mid range to my front stage, and if I have some one at the rear for long drive and complaining I have the flexibility of running them full range, you can say I have a processed rear setup
Anyways Let's catch up Franky, get some time out..it's been long due.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks