Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2009, 14:22   #151
Senior - BHPian

What an acoustic pleasure this has turned out to be! I was really amazed after hearing the setup. Not that I had low expectations (since it was Dr. Frank+Hermit at work), but nonetheless, the install, the choice of equipment and the tuning surpassed everything.

Kudos to Frank for his research on selecting the Alpines! I thought he was one guy who will never deviate from Illusions. The components are most definitely the beauty of this install. I have not heard sharper, crisper, more balanced and so natural sounding components.

Although I must add that I was a tad bit disappointed with the JBL sub. The enclosure seems to be bottoming out and was not showing off the complete potential of the sub.

Now waiting for a drive+audition on the E-way in this car!
Old 28th October 2009, 15:24   #152
BHPian

beautifull!!franky in car that is probably the BEST location to mount the tweeters.trust me this is the set up i would love to audition.great job
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
There is no such thumb rule. If the DRIVER wants the most fun, then he can have both angled towards him.
sorry to say but that is not the way it should be.in car both the tweeters should NEVER face the listeners.thay should be mounted at equal angle and heights.
Old 28th October 2009, 16:44   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
What an acoustic pleasure this has turned out to be! I was really amazed after hearing the setup. Not that I had low expectations (since it was Dr. Frank+Hermit at work), but nonetheless, the install, the choice of equipment and the tuning surpassed everything.

Kudos to Frank for his research on selecting the Alpines! I thought he was one guy who will never deviate from Illusions. The components are most definitely the beauty of this install. I have not heard sharper, crisper, more balanced and so natural sounding components.

Although I must add that I was a tad bit disappointed with the JBL sub. The enclosure seems to be bottoming out and was not showing off the complete potential of the sub.

Now waiting for a drive+audition on the E-way in this car!
Thank you Nishant. I think you heard the system before the rear speakers were removed.
Listen to it now, and tell me whether the sub still disappoints.
The enclosure is not the problem. The rear speakers were. They are out now and it sounds way better now. Sea-change, if you were to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zucchero View Post
beautifull!!franky in car that is probably the BEST location to mount the tweeters.trust me this is the set up i would love to audition.great job
sorry to say but that is not the way it should be.in car both the tweeters should NEVER face the listeners.thay should be mounted at equal angle and heights.

Thank you sir.
In my car, the driver's side tweeter faces the passenger and the passenger's side tweeter faces the driver.
Though it's not the case here, why do you say that both tweeters should never face a single listener?
Old 28th October 2009, 17:02   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post

Thank you sir.
In my car, the driver's side tweeter faces the passenger and the passenger's side tweeter faces the driver.
Though it's not the case here, why do you say that both tweeters should never face a single listener?
I guess this has to do with the imaging. You wouldn't want the sweet spot to be right at your nos or inside your body
Old 28th October 2009, 17:03   #155
Senior - BHPian

Time alignment allows one to 'move' the sweet spot anyways. I don't know why both shouldn't face one listener.
Old 28th October 2009, 17:13   #156
Senior - BHPian

As I see it, if both tweeters are pointing towards your ears, then right tweeter which is closer will sound much louder than the other, unless you adjust relative gains of left/right channels. TA will not compensate for loudness, obviously.
Old 28th October 2009, 19:24   #157
Senior - BHPian

The TA in my headunit (CD7200MKII) has the option to raise/lower the levels for each speaker
Old 28th October 2009, 20:29   #158
Senior - BHPian

You meant to say gain settings are placed under TA menu? Logically it should be a separate menu, as in Clarion 785.

BTW, very common "balance" control itself should be good for the job, provided it has fine enough resolution.
Old 28th October 2009, 21:17   #159
Senior - BHPian

Gain settings are better placed with TA, since they go hand in hand. let's not get into that.

Balance control for what job?
Old 28th October 2009, 21:41   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
You meant to say gain settings are placed under TA menu? Logically it should be a separate menu, as in Clarion 785.
It's not "gain". It's a channel trim feature. You can do it in incremental steps of -1dB for every channel independently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
BTW, very common "balance" control itself should be good for the job, provided it has fine enough resolution.
If you use balance, you will imbalance the subwoofer.
Old 28th October 2009, 23:53   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
I guess this has to do with the imaging. You wouldn't want the sweet spot to be right at your nos or inside your body
Abhi it will not cause the above. The instalation done in Frank car is 100 % correct. I am also using the same method in my car. And the singer is dead in the center on the dash.

Santosh the right tweeter is facing the left person so due to off-axis the output will be less when compared to the left tweeter which is on-axis with the right person.

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 28th October 2009 at 23:54.
Old 29th October 2009, 03:27   #162
Senior - BHPian

Paaji , i'm not saying its wrong.
He is saying that they are facing opposite listeners.

Frank was asking why can't they be aiming at the same listener.
Old 29th October 2009, 14:00   #163
Senior - BHPian

Even I would like to know this funda. LOL. This is by far the most flummoxing aspect of ICE. Positioning of speakers.
Old 29th October 2009, 14:57   #164
BHPian

This is beautiful installation Frank! Quite unfortunately, I missed out on meeting you and hearing your car! Anyway- always next time!

Talking of your components, one reason I feel why they deserve still more respect than they already get is because of their incredible crossover and the phaselink technology. IMHO getting the phase right is a critical component of getting the sound perfectly right from the components. Your Alpines with phaselink jumpers make this whole task incredibly easy!
Old 29th October 2009, 15:02   #165
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Rishi. You are right. There is so much flexibility that one can actually have a lot of options. Which needs a lot of time. Frankly, I can't dedicate so much time now.

Talking about the Crossovers, LOL. I lost the key (allen key arrangment) and I badly need to switch the modules. Reminds me to go and get a new one matching with the screws in the crossover.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks