Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2010, 13:11   #271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Your installer will be better off keeping the battery connected to a battery charger in low charge mode. It is incorrect to expect 30F capacitor to be doing the job of a battery. Even if he is getting it for free!
Then what do you do when there is a need for low bass or bass beats which require that spurt of additional power?
Old 18th August 2010, 13:41   #272
naughty001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Then what do you do when there is a need for low bass or bass beats which require that spurt of additional power?
if an amplifier is designed properly it will have plenty of capacitors in it to provide for this particular task

if you look inside most amplifier guts you will find that a majority of well designed amplifiers already have banks of small capacitors for this very purpose and these are smaller but therefore have a lower ESL (Equivalent series inductance) and ESR (Equivalent series resistance) hence they work far quicker for the purpose of power bursts required for transients

a capacitor does not store power - it merely recharges and discharges - so at every transient it will discharge and then because it is emptied it will recharge ...... so it has to recharge from somewhere and this is the battery - so it places a higher load on the battery which is already stressed when a car is switched off and a system is playing

then to top it off - if it discharges during a transient and is unable to recharge on time then the additional power that is required for transient bursts will definitely have to come from elsewhere and this elsewhere is the battery which causes it to drop voltage even quicker as well as placing a higher stress on it whilst it is operating but the battery is not only providing power to the system but it also has to recharge that slow capacitor too hence the load is even higher thus draining the battery even quicker ...... when the car is switched on the cap will do the same to the alternator .....more specifically the regulator ie it will increase the load that is required hence why you are better off instead of installing a cap to install a high output alternator and a better battery which will do far better than any cap even though its more expensive - thats the cure instead of the band-aid - hence cheap capacitors cause more harm than good and a good stiffening capacitor will only be one with a low ESR and ESL (these are expensive but its not guaranteed that an expensive Cap would have this feature built-in into it)

so in conclusion Caps can have an important role to play if they are the correct caps but if you have good amplifiers then you dont need them because the good amplifiers already have a bunch of smaller caps internally to handle this function - maybe only the cheapest (or most poorly designed) amplifiers will skimp on that part BUT you are definitely better off with the correct charging system modifications required ie : better alternator and battery and in instances of high SPL systems additional batteries for amps with huge demands on the charging system

Last edited by naughty001 : 18th August 2010 at 13:51.

Old 18th August 2010, 15:01   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughty001 View Post
if an amplifier is designed properly it will have plenty of capacitors in it to provide for this particular task
Good info. Thank you. That car is currently running an Optidrive 2000D. He was previously using a JL Audio 1000/1, but it was dumped because of a manufacturing defect.
Old 1st September 2010, 16:51   #274
Senior - BHPian

I am Back

Phew, this Sept gonna be hectic with lots of updates from my side.

For Starters, i just booked a new car.

Yes, Solely for the purpose of installing my ICE
Old 1st September 2010, 17:03   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post

If you include the car price in the ICE budget, this must be the most expensive install in TBHP history.
Old 1st September 2010, 19:21   #276
Senior - BHPian

@ Mi10, I am going to be hooked to this thread. All the best!

Which car did you book and when is it getting delivered?
Old 1st September 2010, 19:32   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
@ Mi10, I am going to be hooked to this thread. All the best!

Which car did you book and when is it getting delivered?
Anachronix, here you go....

Quote:
Make: Ford
Model: Fiesta
Variant: 1.6 S
Fuel: Petrol
Booking Date: 1st Sep 2010
Color: Paparika Red
Expected Delivery Date: Sept Last week - Oct First Week
Dealer & City: MPL Ford, Chennai
Freebies: additional EMI's
Price after Discount: 7.96 L OTR

Before any questions on why Fiesta ? I wanted to buy a car that suit my ICE needs. Qualities were; Strong build, Good Interior Quality and Ease of Installation. Budget was not more than 9L. This one fit in snugly in between my needs and budget.
Old 1st September 2010, 22:05   #278
Senior - BHPian

Woo Hoo (In the Intel ad tone)

I never thought the S was coming. I am sure thats going to be the best looking & the best sounding S ever!

All the best again!
Old 2nd September 2010, 14:46   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Woo Hoo (In the Intel ad tone)

I never thought the S was coming. I am sure thats going to be the best looking & the best sounding S ever!

All the best again!
Man, dont tell me. I ve been drooling all over this forum w.r.t the S

Thanks buddy, Hope the ICE lives upto the expectations.
Old 2nd September 2010, 18:43   #280
BHPian

Quote:

Bhagwan, Frank, Bakiya and now you - the rare breed of t-bhp members who first upgrade their ICE and then hunt for a car to find a home for all that equipment is increasing. Congrats on your new ride, that S is a brilliant home for all your ice cravings.

Waiting in line for your next updates
Old 17th September 2010, 08:16   #281
Senior - BHPian

one more addition to my AMp Inventory

So, behind all the talks and posts of designing a passive crossover for my Mid and Tweetes, i quitely got hold of a Amp that supports Biamping, has dual variable frequency ranges and is also quite compact.

Presenting you my,

Kenwood Reference sereis Amp - the KAC - X4D, alias the XR-4S as its known in few other parts of the world. This is from UK, however.

Key Specs:

Rated power output (4Ω, 14,4V) 120W x 4 (20Hz ~ 20000Hz, 1%THD)
Rated power output (4Ω, 14,4V) 300W x 2 (1000Hz, 1%THD)
Low-pass Filter 50~200Hz & 2,5~10kHz (-12dB/oct)
High-pass Fliter 50~200Hz & 2,5~10kHz (-12dB/oct)
Signal to Noise Ratio 105dB

Pics from the manual will give you an idea of how i ll be using this for my Mid range and tweeters.

The Pics,;
Attached Thumbnails
"In Pursuit of Happiness" - The Journey of a True Audiophile-17092010343.jpg  

"In Pursuit of Happiness" - The Journey of a True Audiophile-17092010345.jpg  

"In Pursuit of Happiness" - The Journey of a True Audiophile-17092010347.jpg  

"In Pursuit of Happiness" - The Journey of a True Audiophile-17092010344.jpg  

"In Pursuit of Happiness" - The Journey of a True Audiophile-17092010353.jpg  

"In Pursuit of Happiness" - The Journey of a True Audiophile-17092010355.jpg  

"In Pursuit of Happiness" - The Journey of a True Audiophile-17092010357.jpg  

Old 17th September 2010, 08:25   #282
Senior - BHPian

A Visual comparison of my Compact Amps;

My Compact Amps;

Rockford Fosgate Punch P300-2 (2 Ch)
Rockford Fosgate Power T400-2 (2 Ch)
Alpine PDX M12 (Mono)
Kenwood KAC-4D / XR-4S (4 Ch)

RF P300-2: The Most compact of the lot; least heaviest too. Gives out 75W RMS x 2 @ 4 ohms. Extremely well built, looks solid and seems long lasting.

RF T400-2: It is actually quite compact, but the Cooling fins around make it look much bigger than its counterparts here. But dont get fooled by the size. Its the heavist of the lot. Even heavier than the Alpine here. Gives out 120W RMS x 2 @ 4 ohms. Same build quality as the P300-2. However in both Amps, Gain setting, Xover controls are very difficult to adjust. They seem to be tailor made to make the user toil hard for adjustments.

Alpine PDX M12 - A Beast of a mono, alteast in paper (I have'nt powered her yet) gives soild 1200W RMS @ both 4 and 2 ohms. Very classy. Good Finish, All controls neatly hidden under a face plate. Second Heaviest of the Amps here. Compact, as its a Class D Amp. (The RF's are Class AB though).

Kenwood KAC-4D / XR-4S - Kenwood calls its 'reference fit'. Very diminutive for a 4 Ch AMp, shiny sober gray color adds to its understated looks. Boasts of dual variable range crossover controls. One side for Power and cables and the other side for X over controls. The Other two sides have nice aluminum finish mesh (think its for the heat sinks)
Attached Thumbnails
"In Pursuit of Happiness" - The Journey of a True Audiophile-17092010349.jpg  

"In Pursuit of Happiness" - The Journey of a True Audiophile-17092010350.jpg  

"In Pursuit of Happiness" - The Journey of a True Audiophile-17092010351.jpg  

"In Pursuit of Happiness" - The Journey of a True Audiophile-17092010352.jpg  

Last edited by Mi10 : 17th September 2010 at 08:44.
Old 17th September 2010, 08:35   #283
Senior - BHPian

The shopping is not over yet!?

When are you getting your car and where is the installation planned?
Old 17th September 2010, 09:04   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The shopping is not over yet!?

When are you getting your car and where is the installation planned?
Not yet, infact few more coming up in Oct

Thanks to Kishore, we did manage to pull a few strings and got the dealer to promise the delivery date. Its will be in first week of Oct. (Hopefully in first 4 days of Oct itself)

Install plan is surely only after Oct third week. As my last set of equipments are landing by Oct 15th
Old 17th September 2010, 12:10   #285
BHPian

Hey Praveen, congrat on your new car. I just hopped on to this thread after a long time, expecting a new ICE but, oh man i did not expect a new car for setting up ICE.

Now is the i10 is still going to be around? What are the plans? (Sorry i didn' check the earlier posts/pages)

Congrats on the 'S' ....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks