Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2011, 19:36   #16
BHPian

Re: ICE for my VW Vento?

While DVD touch screens are great to look at and have a lot of features, they really aren't amazing when it comes to music quality.
Secondly, if you want crisp vocals and decent mids, components and an amp are pretty much a must.
In your case, a huge chunk of your budget is being allocated to the HU, which is pretty much a dampner.

IMHO, do your ICE setup in installments.

1. Get your HU (IMHO, forget the OE looks, but choose reputed brands; I've used JVC in the past and was really happy with it, till the rest of my audio far outgrew the HU and I opted for an Eclipse) right now

2. Get a decent 4-channel amp and components for the front. Run the components off the amp. You can even bridge the amp to only power your fronts. This will give additional power to the front speakers and make a BIG difference in sound quality

3. Retain stock rears, or buy co-axials of the same brand as the components. This will help maintain timbre. Run these off the HU

That's it for now.

Later as and when budget allows, add a monoblock and a 12" sub woofer
Additionally, you can also get damping done.
If possible right now, damp the front 2 doors.
Maybe later you can consider damping the boot as well. Damping the rear doors won't really be necessary.
That should complete a really nice sounding audio setup.
We can talk at length about this when we meet up on Friday. You'll also have very valuable inputs from Amey and Kiran (Moralfibre) then
vikram18 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th May 2011, 13:04   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

I listen to all kinds of stuff but mostly blues rock, classic/hard rock, heavy metal. I like pronounced highs, low mids and reasonably heavy- though not boomy- bass. In all honesty though I am a music lover I don't keep the volume on very loud in the car. The missus prefers 80s pop/rock and Bollywood hits and FM.
The first thing I can think of with your needs would be components (front) and rear coaxials(6*9) setup on a AMP . Just a humble suggestion why dont you start it the other way . Get hold of a pair of components / Coaxials and an AMP (JBL-i-fying) . This for sure would provide you what you want from your system .

The 2 DIN HU can be done later as this is going to cost you a big chunk of money . IMHO , its always better to writing off a few CD's with MP3's instead of investing a big cheque being signed for the HU itself until and unless you have surplus Vitamin ' M ' that you want to play with .

The same kind of setup runs on my Safari and you can witness the clarity / crispiness of the setup when we meet on Friday .

On secondary thoughts , after seeing the usage of the 2 DIN on a friends Ritz (runs Pioneer 4250) , I have a feeling its more to do with just the flashy(tashan) looks rather than being a decent utility . Just that the navigation gets a bit simpler , nothing apart from that . The DVD feature is hardly ever used in the last 4-5 months with video . Was wondering if its only for the simpler browsing , why not use Ipod / MP4 players which can be customised to personal likings .

Just my 2 cents
Old 26th May 2011, 13:11   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you both. You guys are making me think this through, which is always good. Let's talk more on Friday.

I agree with Pankaj- it's the tashan factor that is tilting me in favour of the Caska. I am suffering, unfortunately, from "Just look how prettttty..." syndrome!

Despite its flaws the OE system that VW has provided look and feels just great. Burning a couple of dozen MP3 CDs that will take care of my entire collection is a rather tempting option, must confess! Let's see...
Old 30th May 2011, 15:17   #19
Senior - BHPian

How good is OE HU when it is connected to 4-Channel AMP/SUB/COMPS?
Just in case to replace only the HU alone and go for a high-end unit namely PIO/JVC
Old 30th May 2011, 16:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you both. You guys are making me think this through, which is always good. Let's talk more on Friday.

I agree with Pankaj- it's the tashan factor that is tilting me in favour of the Caska. I am suffering, unfortunately, from "Just look how prettttty..." syndrome!

Despite its flaws the OE system that VW has provided look and feels just great. Burning a couple of dozen MP3 CDs that will take care of my entire collection is a rather tempting option, must confess! Let's see...
How much difference is sound quality is provided by 'just' the head unit? I mean, why not go for the head unit (Caska/Motevo/Witson)for the look, feel and features that it provides. BTW, to me, they look the same (I am sure they are same , quality wise), so why not go for the cheapest one? Is Caska any better than the ones already on the forum (Motevo/Witson?)

For everything else, go standard and buy 'quality' stuff (read JBL, Pioneer, Polk etc.).

Advice seeked: Just in case I go for Vento, I will get the HU replaced right out of showroom. I already have the following (In Swift, which will get ported over to Vento):

1. 4 JBL Speakers. Two front doors+ Two rear co-axial.
2. Alpine Amp.
3. Blaupunkt Base Tube.
4. Pioneer Speakers.

So, I just need the HU. One one my additional motives is to make my car (if I buy one) look more upmarket. This will be accompanied by Stanley leather to complete the look.

PS: If I were you, I'd not go with a JBL/JVC/Pioneer HU. They function great but look 'out of place' in the car central console and spoil the 'look' of the car. It will spoil an already plain looking (but good quality) central console/dashboard. Also, I hate the 'dhinchak' lighting (electric blue/fluorescent green/funny red-orange). The Chinese stuff discussed here looks classy (did I say that , Chinese and Classy? )

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 30th May 2011 at 17:03.
Old 30th May 2011, 17:21   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
How much difference is sound quality is provided by 'just' the head unit? .............
I have replaced my stock MP3 player with a Pioneer 3250BT - has the regular bells and whistles and added two tweeters. Kept the VW provided speakers as is and have not changed that.
Have added a reverse camera as well.
Works really well

Cheers!!
Old 30th May 2011, 17:59   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Abhi. Believe me, there is nothing wrong with Chinese these days- after all everyone is manufacturing even OE stuff in China! Agree that the look and feel of the Vento should not be disturbed too much. Wifey's strict orders - she hates what I did to the Swift (replaced a fully functional OE Kenwood MP3 CD player with one that supports USB and Aux in- her grouse is that the red backlighting on the knobs doesn't go with the overall car )

@polopm- jesal has installed a 3200- I suppose yours is a similar HU with Bluetooth as well- if so that is exactly what I am looking for Can you tell me where you sourced it and how much it cost? You may PM me if you don't want this info made public. Thanks!
Old 30th May 2011, 19:30   #23
Senior - BHPian

For a Budget of 35-45K. I would split it as below.
HU - 15K-20K
Front Component Speakers - 7K
Damping of front doors - 3K
4 Channel Amp - 8K -10K
Sub - 6K
Sub Enclosure - 3K

You can add rear co-axial speakers if required at say 3-4K.
Old 8th June 2011, 19:11   #24
Senior - BHPian

How would JVC KW-AVX840 work for Vento? Does it support GPS navigation & Rear view camera?
You can find all the specs. below
JVC Mobile Entertainment \ Double-DIN Multimedia Receiver - KW-AVX840 \ Introduction
Old 9th June 2011, 10:12   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
How much difference is sound quality is provided by 'just' the head unit?
I have nothing against anything made in China but....

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. So a HU which is designed to produce good audio is preffered by many.

However if OEM looks and system integration is essential the Caska/Moetvo HUs do provide this. Persoanlly I have not been happy with the 2 HUs from these manufacturers I have seen and used (in friend's cars). Current models might perform better.
Old 9th June 2011, 10:29   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

navin, thanks for stopping by! Am honoured

OK- here's the update: thought long and hard especially after what vikram18 and jealousdiamond said, and have decided not to be hasty in going in for a Caska/Motevo right now. Frankly for Chinese brands, I think they are overpriced, though one can't deny they are loaded with features.

These days I am focusing more on the SQ and, from my limited knowledge on these matters, the stock HU on the Vento delivers decent enough sound at the back but the front speakers are somewhat insipid. Suggestions for a set of components up front welcome. AnkitParashar has Rainbow SLX 265 Deluxe edition front components mounted, which I think look gorgeous (not demoed yet). Check out here.

I took JD's advice and burnt 3 MP3 CDs: hard rock, grunge and alternative and will probably add a couple more: slow rock and Hindi/Indipop for the missus & kiddo . Cost: INR 50/-

Another reason I am hesitating to take the plunge is that despite all its lack of features, the stock HU looks gorgeous, especially at night. And the OE buttons have a touch and feel that is sheer joy.

Will keep my eyes peeled for the right HU when it comes along. Meanwhile please don't hesitate to offer advice freely and without fear of censure- after all that's what T-BHP is for!
Old 9th June 2011, 10:58   #27
Senior - BHPian

^^ Good move Noop. Its always better to wait and watch instead of jumping the gun and regretting later. Your requirement is pretty basic, from what I understand and as of now, this should suffice.
Keeping looking, shall advice if I come across something interesting!
Old 9th June 2011, 14:35   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Suggestions for a set of components up front welcome. I took JD's advice and burnt 3 MP3 CDs: hard rock, grunge and alternative and will probably add a couple more: slow rock and Hindi/Indipop for the missus & kiddo . Cost: INR 50/-
Well Anoop .. You can for for JBL 608 C or some components from Illusion (though higher on the pricing front ) . Both of them sound good .

The CD way . So should I expect a party for saving you some grands .
Old 9th June 2011, 14:54   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wifey's strict orders - she hates what I did to the Swift (replaced a fully functional OE Kenwood MP3 CD player with one that supports USB and Aux in- her grouse is that the red backlighting on the knobs doesn't go with the overall car )
Sorry if this is a bit basic, but can you not change the backlight colour? If possible, it will earn you some brownie points you could use elsewhere. Worth a try I guess!

Quote:
I took JD's advice and burnt 3 MP3 CDs: hard rock, grunge and alternative and will probably add a couple more: slow rock and Hindi/Indipop for the missus & kiddo . Cost: INR 50/-
My inherent laziness in sorting etc. makes me want to ask you for a copy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jealousdiamond View Post
Well Anoop .. You can for for JBL 608 C or some components from Illusion (though higher on the pricing front ) . Both of them sound good
Ekdum moonh ki baat cheen li bhai. One of my friends got the JBL 608 C; I was about to recommend it here, it is awesome. I will go in for it too when I break my next piggybank
Old 9th June 2011, 15:47   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
My inherent laziness in sorting etc. makes me want to ask you for a copy
Make that two copies Anoop! Lazy me, cant get myself to burn CD's for the love of life!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks