Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2011, 19:22   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

ICE upgrade : VW Vento

OK- I am a total ICE noob so bear with me for appearing

I have recently acquired a VW Vento and the stock system is absolute junk. It only plays MP3 CDs and has no inputs for USB or AUX. Enough has been said about it on the other Vento threads, so let me not take too much time bashing it.

Anyway, I was given a price list by the VW accessories people that listed a Kenwood system AUX/USB/BT with FR speakers for 18K odd. And there was another listed as "Integrated music system with AUX/USB/SD/BT and 4 speakers listed at 22K odd. When I asked for details, the accessories guys at VW got a little antsy and finally confessed they didn't have much info and urged me not to upgrade the stock system. That scared me a little, and I readily backed off.

Problem is that the stock system is truly sucky and now am scared to go back to those guys, so checked with my friendly neighbourhood acessories guy, who's suggesting either of 2 options:
  1. The Caska that's reviewed in this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...hu-my-crv.html It may be slightly different, but pretty much the same features.
  2. The JVC AVX 836
The JVC at 34K is marginally more expensive than the Caska and lacks the GPS nav feature. I had almost decided on the JVC but wifey and I talked it over and thought it was a bit much.

I have a few specific doubts that I tried searching the forums for answers to and even PMed a couple of guys, but no response. So posting them here:
  1. Is in-dash DVD banned in Maharashra?
  2. Is there a double DIN touchscreen/remote controlled unit available for cheaper, say 15-20K?
  3. The quote I got (for both) includes 4K for a "frame" that requires to be fitted into my Vento to ensure that the fit is perfect.Will this spoil the look and feel? I am unable to visualise this at all.
  4. Will warranty be voided? My car accs guy insists there is no wire cutting so no, but VW seems a little rigid and with A.S.S. untested I don't want to take undue risks.
Gurus pls advise. If answered already apologies and please move this to the right section. Thanks!

Last edited by noopster : 14th March 2011 at 19:23.
Old 14th March 2011, 19:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: ICE for my VW Vento?

Dude best you get a Pioneer 4250 DVD

1.I doubt so.
2.Yup they are avaible but better you stick to well known brands like Pioneer.
3.If you use harness's I doubt wires will be cut.But VW can be fussy.
Old 15th March 2011, 14:07   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Is in-dash DVD banned in Maharashra?
Playing movies isn't permitted in a moving car, atleast not when the screen is in front of the driver.

Quote:
Is there a double DIN touchscreen/remote controlled unit available for cheaper, say 15-20K?
The Pio 4250. I use it and am very happy. Only downer : iPod read rate is slow (say, when loading playlists). There's a second or two of delay.

Quote:
The quote I got (for both) includes 4K for a "frame" that requires to be fitted into my Vento to ensure that the fit is perfect.Will this spoil the look and feel? I am unable to visualise this at all.
It's called a dash kit. Look up my Civic ICE thread for pictures. More info here.

Quote:
Will warranty be voided?
Technically, any alteration can lead to your warranty going null. However, dealerships are generally reasonable. I've never had a rejected warranty claim due to the ICE, alloys, tyres or autocop system.
Old 15th March 2011, 14:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

Pioneer 4250 as mentioned is great and good vfm.
Also you could check out Sony which has the XAV 60 and 70.
forget the law, you shouldnt have a movie on while driving.
maybe get a demo of these models, before you zero in on one.
Old 17th March 2011, 23:08   #5
BHPian

hi friends, can somebody tell me whether the Pio4250 has a detatchable double din mouth like the JVC 814. Thanks in advance.
Old 18th March 2011, 00:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Nope the faceplate is not detachable in the 4250.
Old 18th March 2011, 10:29   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The JVC at 34K is marginally more expensive than the Caska
[*]The quote I got (for both) includes 4K for a "frame" that requires to be fitted into my Vento to ensure that the fit is perfect.Will this spoil the look and feel? I am unable to visualise this at all.
1. The Pio 4250 has an elementary time allignment feature. It is not as comprehensive as say Alpine's Imprint but something is better than nothing na>?

2. The JVC has a detachable front panel which the Pio does not. Question is what you going to do with the front panel after you detach it? I find that if I take the front panel home I forget it at home while running for the car.
Old 18th March 2011, 12:25   #8
BHPian

The detachable panel can be kept in the safety of your home at night since these touchscreen double din systems are quite expensive & presumably a hit with the burglars. Atleast i do the same as i learnt this lesson the hard way.
Old 18th March 2011, 12:30   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyush78 View Post
The detachable panel can be kept in the safety of your home at night since these touchscreen double din systems are quite expensive & presumably a hit with the burglars. Atleast i do the same as i learnt this lesson the hard way.

That is I presume what we think. But a couple of years back I had done the same by removing the front panel at night.
But to my surprise the next morning, the base unit without panel was stolen, and I presume would land up as spares in the gray market.

Cheers!
Old 7th April 2011, 14:37   #10

noopster, have you done with ICE for your vento? I am interested to see how the finish is with the frame. Can you please post some picture of the same? Also please let me know the details of the frame that was used and where can I get those. I am also planning one such modification for mine.
Old 24th May 2011, 17:22   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

@Giri.R- am making slow but steady progress. 2 brands have now launched for Indian market: Caska (MRP 48K) and Motevo (lesser known fellow Chinese brand, around 43K MRP). Dealers will of course discount accordingly.

@subodh has got the Motevo unit installed- check his thread here.

It looks good, pretty OEM and I am going to check it out and get it installed if I like how it looks. Keep you posted!
Old 25th May 2011, 14:32   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

The dilemma continues, but to structure this whole debate, scouted a few threads on the forums and came up with this list. Hope it's helpful:

List of Vento/Polo owners and after-market ICE setups:
  1. @jesal- Vento AT- Pioneer 3200- sourced from US. USD 300.
    http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2217336
  2. @AnkitParashar- Polo 1.6- Witson W2 D-723V- bought online and delivered by DHL- INR 16K base price plus reverse camera plus customs duty (4.5K) = 24K total. Similar in specs to Caska HU being sold for 40K+.
    http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2108008
  3. @ventoman- Vento Tdi- Witson W2 D-723V, same setup as AnkitParashar- bought locally in China for USD 350 and delivered by a friend
    http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2181187
  4. @chet1376- Vento TDI- Xenos 7" monitor with Bluetooth- SR700BT and reverse camera- no more details shared
    http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2149611
  5. @blackdiesel- Vento Tdi- in process- choosing between Kenwood DNX7380BT and JVC AVX746- JVC price is around 32K with GPS
    http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2360382
  6. @subodh- Vento AT- Motevo, OE-fit for Vento, paid approx 30K without GPS. MRP for this unit (including GPS) is 43K.
    http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...ustom-ice.html
Other options:
  • Caska OE-fit for Vento, looks almost exactly like subodh's Motevo but slightly better look and feel and has GPS. MRP is 48K in INdia- fairly new launch.
  • Pioneer 4250-@GTO's recommendation, post #3 of this thread
  • Sony XAV 60/70- @mdsaab, post#4
noopster is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2011, 15:47   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Is in-dash DVD banned in Maharashra?
  1. Is there a double DIN touchscreen/remote controlled unit available for cheaper, say 15-20K?
  2. The quote I got (for both) includes 4K for a "frame" that requires to be fitted into my Vento to ensure that the fit is perfect.Will this spoil the look and feel? I am unable to visualise this at all.
  3. Will warranty be voided? My car accs guy insists there is no wire cutting so no, but VW seems a little rigid and with A.S.S. untested I don't want to take undue risks.
Gurus pls advise. If answered already apologies and please move this to the right section. Thanks!
1) Yes many in the range of 22-28 K likes of Pioneer / Sony
2) You should get that frame with the Kit , alternatively that can be procured from the accesory guy for cheap . Would be a perfect fit if the installer has neat hands (I can provide you with one such guy , in case you need one )
3) No good installer cuts wires , its just a strip that is done , All warranty intact

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Pioneer 4250 as mentioned is great and good vfm.
Also you could check out Sony which has the XAV 60 and 70.
forget the law, you shouldnt have a movie on while driving.
maybe get a demo of these models, before you zero in on one.
The XAV 60 is a great console . The video thing in Pioneer (you might need to install a switch to get the display - some switch that is attached to the handbrakes to make the display (video) work only with parking brakes on )

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyush78 View Post
hi friends, can somebody tell me whether the Pio4250 has a detatchable double din mouth like the JVC 814. Thanks in advance.
AS suggested very less 2 DIN systems would come with a detachable faceplate .

Quote:

@subodh has got the Motevo unit installed- check his thread here.

It looks good, pretty OEM and I am going to check it out and get it installed if I like how it looks. Keep you posted!
I have seen Subodh's setup that appeared as good as factory fitments though he had some video display issues if I remeber correctly

Last edited by jealousdiamond : 25th May 2011 at 15:51.
Old 25th May 2011, 15:51   #14
BHPian

It would be easier to suggest choices if you could mention your budget and musical taste i.e. basically what you want from your ICE; clear detailed notes, lots of bass, etc.
Old 25th May 2011, 18:57   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

@vikram18- That's a great suggestion.

My primary need to upgrade is because the ICE on the Vento is so rudimentary that it plays only MP3 CDs. It lacks features like USB, ipod and AUX connectivity, which even the 5k 1DIN Kenwood I installed on my Swift has. I carry about my music these days on flash drives or SD cards. So these are a must-have.

Bluetooth interface for hands free operation is another must-have. I don't answer the phone when I drive and I hate NOT answering my phone

Integrated reverse camera is another must-have.

Vento doesn't have steering mounted controls so an intuitive user-friendly touchscreen is required. Also a remote.

What else? Oh yeah the music : I listen to all kinds of stuff but mostly blues rock, classic/hard rock, heavy metal. I like pronounced highs, low mids and reasonably heavy- though not boomy- bass. In all honesty though I am a music lover I don't keep the volume on very loud in the car. The missus prefers 80s pop/rock and Bollywood hits and FM.

I don't want to risk any extensive wiring and stuff, so was planning to retain the stock speakers in the Vento- am afraid I don't know the specs though. Maybe in a year or two, will go for some good ones.

I know the Pio 4250 DVD is a fvourite with enthusiasts but for some reason it left me cold- the screen is too small and it doesn't at all go with the 2-knob OE look that I have currently.

The JVC AVX746 is also an option that I had earlier liked but it lacks GPS (not a deal breaker). However this needs a dash kit to fit it into the Vento and I am worried what that will do to the look and feel.

XAV 60 and 70 look OK in pictures- have not actually seen them demoed though. Sony as a general rule is expensive too.

The Caska HU (along with the Motevo and Witson which are all almost identical) are the ones which meet all the requirements above, plus match the OE look of the car. Twin knobs on each side matching the AC ones too. Plus a 7inch touchscreen, GPS, Bluetooth and integrated rear cam.

I started out thinking it would cost about 25K to upgrade, but the budget seems to be getting stretched and for any of the choices above would have to shell between 35 and 45K.

Can you help please?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks