Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2012, 18:29   #76
BHPian

Re: ICE for my VW Vento?

Could anyone throw some light on the quality of the highline system. Would some good speakers with the stock ICE, be sufficient or do i need to change the entire system. ( i must admit the lack of BT does make the new system option quite attractive)
Old 25th January 2012, 20:25   #77
Senior - BHPian

Re: ICE for my VW Vento?

It all depends on your requirements and expection from the stock system.
You can start with just a speaker upgrade and progress in steps till you are happy with your configuration.

Upgrading to a better quality speakers would be the first logical step towards an upgrade, please note that the stock HU doesnt have any pre-out's so there is only so much you can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhatiagagan View Post
Could anyone throw some light on the quality of the highline system. Would some good speakers with the stock ICE, be sufficient or do i need to change the entire system. ( i must admit the lack of BT does make the new system option quite attractive)
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 20:38   #78
Senior - BHPian

Speaker upgrade for VW Vento (Co-axials)

Well. Enough is enough!

It has been a long time I am bored with the sound quality of from the stock speakers of Vento. And thus have finally decided to get it upgraded. The clarity is just not there. High frequency - NIL. Base- NIL. So what is there? Mid & Lower mid - lots of it.

I dont plan on changing the HU or adding an amp. I know VW is always on the prowl to void the warranty at every single opportunity. And due to the recent fire incident, well I am extra cautious. As a consolation, these days FM is quite good. However the truth is, my dad, who uses the car, barely listens CDs. And about MP3, Auxin, BT - he does not need any.

So any way the only thing left to be changed are the speakers. I am a complete noob in this department and help will be appreciated. I thing the optimum size is 6.5" right?

I have the following in mind. Please suggest
Infinity REF6532i - 60W RMS, 2 way (5.5K)
JBL GT6-S366 - 65W RMS, 3 way (4K)
Pioneer TS-A1684R - 50W RMS, 4 way (6K?)
Alpine S610 - 80W RMS, 2 way (5K?)
  • Or is there anything else better. Within (7-8)K / pair. Total budget around 10K.
  • Is it necessary to change the rear speakers too. How much more benefit can be expected.
  • The speakers can be procured from outside (India) as well.
Old 19th February 2012, 00:28   #79
Senior - BHPian

Re: Speaker upgrade for VW Vento (Co-axials)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
  • Or is there anything else better. Within (7-8)K / pair. Total budget around 10K.
  • Is it necessary to change the rear speakers too. How much more benefit can be expected.
  • The speakers can be procured from outside (India) as well.
I'm no ICE guru, but recently had done ICE on my dads Fiesta. Well I would suggest you to go with component speakers in the front and that would be Morel Maximo 6.5 Link. The MRP is Rs. 6,999. For the rear I would say go with JBL GT6-S366 - 65W RMS, 3 way Rs. 4,000.
Components spks are any day better than the coaxial 3 way & 4 way spks. In 2 way components there will be a tweeter which can be mounted on the dash or on the A-pillar by making a hole of the size of tweeter and a woofer which gets placed where your stock spks are in front. The total stands at Rs. 11,000 and this setup would sound way better than going with coaxial in front and you would start loving the components more than the coaxial. I have a Vento TDi and a Fiesta at disposal so I know the difference in audio quality of both.
The Ice gurus Navin, Bass&Trouble, DelArte, Ramie2400 would be able to suggest you even better.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2012, 00:37   #80
BHPian

Quote:
I dont plan on changing the HU or adding an amp.
I had the same opinion. Also have not yet found a satisfactory HU for my needs. So I got just my speakers upgraded.

Quote:
I thing the optimum size is 6.5" right?
Yes, just about right size for the door speakers. Replace the OEM ones perfectly.

Quote:
Or is there anything else better. Within (7-8)K / pair. Total budget around 10K.
I've been a fan of Hertz speakers so I got these fitted:

Front: Hertz Deici DSK 165 (120W)
Rear: Hertz Energy ECX 165 (140W)

Cost me 9.5k with wooden spacers and fitting charges included.

Quote:
Is it necessary to change the rear speakers too. How much more benefit can be expected.
You bet. Makes a big difference. The OEM speakers are junk -- front or rear.

You can read about my replacement here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2613006
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2012, 13:41   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have the following in mind. Please suggest
Infinity REF6532i
Alpine S610
  • The speakers can be procured from outside (India) as well
I assume you mean SPS 610. Choose between the SPS 610 and Infinity 6532/6032.

If you can add a pair of 6x9 rear speakers in the rear deck you will improve the bass in the car.

Speakers can be procured from abroad. Keep in mind that speakers are fragile and their voicel coils only have a gap of a few mm in which to operate so if dropped and manhandled they can get damaged.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2012, 18:44   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
I'm no ICE guru, but recently had done ICE on my dads Fiesta. Well I would suggest you to go with component speakers in the front and that would be Morel Maximo 6.5 Link.
Components spks are any day better than the coaxial 3 way & 4 way spks. In 2 way components there will be a tweeter which can be mounted on the dash or on the A-pillar by making a hole of the size of tweeter and a woofer which gets placed where your stock spks are in front.
I don't want to make any kind of hole in the Dash or A pillar and that is probably the main reason I want to stick to co-axials. I know components sound a lot better but well...
  • where do you have the crossover?
  • Can the tweeters be mounted on the main speaker. If yes then it is worth a look.
  • And I dont think you need an amp. Isnt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Yes, just about right size for the door speakers. Replace the OEM ones perfectly.

You bet. Makes a big difference. The OEM speakers are junk -- front or rear.
Right. then it is 2 pairs for replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I assume you mean SPS 610. Choose between the SPS 610 and Infinity 6532/6032.

If you can add a pair of 6x9 rear speakers in the rear deck you will improve the bass in the car.

Speakers can be procured from abroad. Keep in mind that speakers are fragile and their voicel coils only have a gap of a few mm in which to operate so if dropped and manhandled they can get damaged.
Yes 6X9 will definitely improve the bass, but that involves cutting the parcel tray. Not something I would really want to do. I want to keep the changes invisible to VW.

Lets see if components will be feasible with my requirements. Or else 2 new pairs of co-axials. Will 2 different pairs make more sense. I somehow think it might.

Last edited by oxyzen : 19th February 2012 at 18:46.
Old 19th February 2012, 20:00   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
  • where do you have the crossover?.
Its somewhere inside the dash and not visible. While the installation of components was done I had gone out for some lunch, so missed that part. But it can be very well be hidden.

Quote:
  • Can the tweeters be mounted on the main speaker. If yes then it is worth a look.
Well IIRC there are some components spks which have the provision to install the tweeter on the sub woofer cone because of space restriction. Will need to Google up to find them.
How about such type of installation (Link). Even if you don't like it just go through the thread, you would be drooling over it (Link).

Quote:
ICE is something like a DSLR the more you put in the better it gets. If you drive the spks via amp it would sound even better because it is receiving more power. But anyway until you want something very HiFi, no need for an amp. Choice rests with you.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 19:56   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... that involves cutting the parcel tray. Not something I would really want to do. I want to keep the changes invisible to VW. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
... But anyway until you want something very HiFi, no need for an amp ...
1. The whole point of mounting the tweeters at ear level (as close to that level as possible, instead of mounted coaxially with the mid-bass at the bottom of the door - that is what 'coaxials' are) is the *image* of the sound - which is what makes a good ICE different from the one that plays in Indica taxis. The only way you will be convinced is when you listen to some systems in cars that have components in front. Get together with TBHPians near you who have good ICE, and audition their rides

2. There is no point in cutting the OE parcel shelf and mounting the 6x9s. OE parcel shelves are too flimsy to take that weight and will invariably buckle. Usually one replaces it with a aftermarket shelf made of thick MDF covered with felt cloth matching the car's interior (or OE shelf). The difference in bass with 6x9 (if one doesn't use a subwoofer) is very apparent and it competes the musical picture. VW, or for that matter any other car company, does not mind that replacement of the parcel shelf as it is not a functional part under warranty

3. An amp enhances the listening experience manifold. If you start with components in front and 6x9s at back, and you listen to good ICE in others' rides, it will be inevitable that your listening preferences will change and demand an amp one day for sure
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 21:52   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
1. The whole point of mounting the tweeters at ear level (as close to that level as possible, instead of mounted coaxially with the mid-bass at the bottom of the door - that is what 'coaxials' are) is the *image* of the sound - which is what makes a good ICE different from the one that plays in Indica taxis. The only way you will be convinced is when you listen to some systems in cars that have components in front. Get together with TBHPians near you who have good ICE, and audition their rides
I have a question which may be useful to the OP so posting it here. I have a set of components with the tweeters on the dash pointing at me , I find the imaging and vocals great but some of the highs are too much and the sound being very *in your face*

So in this case would moving it to the door pads or to the ORVM area lessen the impact and would it be a trade off with imaging ? Also I can make out some sort of seperation between the highs and the mids with the tweeter and woofer so far apart. Like you can make out certain sounds coming from the floor and some from the front

Last edited by bottle : 20th February 2012 at 21:55.
Old 21st February 2012, 10:47   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
... So in this case would moving it to the door pads or to the ORVM area lessen the impact and would it be a trade off with imaging ? ...
Might, might not. Can you post pics of your current arrangement?

What components do you have?
Old 21st February 2012, 11:10   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Might, might not. Can you post pics of your current arrangement?

What components do you have?
Its a Morel Tempo running unamped at the moment hooked into a Kenwood HU.

ICE upgrade : VW Vento-pubvl.jpg
Old 21st February 2012, 22:15   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only way you will be convinced is when you listen to some systems in cars that have components in front.
Well in that case I will just have to postpone it till further research.

As of now almost finalized on Pioneer TS-A1684R (4 way co-axial). Mainly because of discounted prices. ~2.5K/pair.
TS-A1684R - 6½" 4-Way Speaker (6¾" compatible) | Pioneer Electronics USA

Should be OK for now. Components in front... I'll think about it. Might install one after sometime.

Thanks for all your contributions.

Old 22nd February 2012, 09:11   #89
Senior - BHPian

re: ICE upgrade : VW Vento

@oxygen. Components are way better. Even with the stock HU, it sounds great. You can stick the tweeters without drilling any holes. I have fixed them to the ORVM cover with holes to hold the screws. On FM radio, I do hear some noise due to fading sometimes which the earlier speakers weren't able to reproduce
Old 22nd February 2012, 12:20   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Its a Morel Tempo running unamped at the moment hooked into a Kenwood HU. ...
I am assuming that the tweeters are just placed there, or stuck with double-sided tape, instead of being rigidly mounted. If so, rotate each tweeter in such a way the the right one is pointed at the left front seat headrest, and the left one at the right front seat headrest.

Also, check if you can lift the rear of the tweeter up a bit so that the front plane of the tweeter is vertical. Looks like it is firing at the ceiling right now, and that could be one reason why you are able to detect separation from the mid-base.

If the components are bright, it will definitely help if mounted on the ORVM pod, since you will be sitting more off-axis with the tweeter is in that position.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks