Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2012, 13:39   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Speaker upgrade for VW Vento (Co-axials)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
.. If so, rotate each tweeter in such a way the the right one is pointed at the left front seat headrest, and the left one at the right front seat headrest.

Also, check if you can lift the rear of the tweeter up a bit so that the front plane of the tweeter is vertical. Looks like it is firing at the ceiling right now, and that could be one reason why you are able to detect separation from the mid-base.
I went to get it adjusted and the installer did something similar to what you mentioned. The tweeter pod was lowered and pointed left towards the opp headrest and sound seems fine now.
Old 23rd February 2012, 19:10   #92
BHPian

VW touchscreen media player - reverse camera support

Help requested.

I have an offer from VW for the Breeze Edition Touchscreen Multimedia Player for my VW Vento TDI HL for a cost of Rs. 38K.

However, I am not sure if this unit will take input from a reverse camera with automatic switching.

If it does not, I will need to go for something like a Caska HU with reverse camera.

The camera is an absolute requirement, as I will be using this car is some very tight spaces.

The VW player comes with Bluetooth, A/V, Navigation, etc and is a touchscreen device.

It looks very much like the player from the Jetta/Passat.

Any information will be greatly appreciated as I need to take a decision on this by tomorrow morning.
Old 27th February 2012, 23:36   #93
Senior - BHPian

re: ICE upgrade : VW Vento

Hey folks,
I'm getting delivery of my rapid tdi ambition next week and i plan to fit in a simple audio system. Since the ambition variant does not come with any audio setup and has provision for a single din audio. Can a 2din HU be fitted in this slot?
My requirement is to have a simple no nonsense 2 din system with USB slot and bluetooth connectivity if possible, though not a must. I also plan to fit reverse parking sensors from autocopxs. Is there a 2 din system which can act as a screen for reverse parking camera as well? I read somewhere in the forum that JVC 646 does this job. But I guess this is way off my budget. I'm looking at something under 20k for HU + Speakers. Any suggestions?
Old 27th February 2012, 23:56   #94
Senior - BHPian

^ I got a scosche dash trim for vw which accomodates one or two din HU's you may need that if the VW stock facia is not flexible

Paid 1.2k
Old 28th February 2012, 19:39   #95
Senior - BHPian

You can fit a 2 DIN system with the facia adpator. JVC 646 is quite a competent system (I have it on my vento) and bought it for around 16.5k around 3 months back. If you arent too keen on touchscreen and DVD playback lot of options are there in pioneer, kenwood and JVC.

Only if you opt for an reverse camera, the screen size and compatibility with the HU matters and I dont think the non dvd ones provide you this functionality. If you are planning only for the audio sensors, then this shouldnt be an issue for you.

I paid 2.2k for the double din facia adaptor for my vento.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Hey folks,
I'm getting delivery of my rapid tdi ambition next week and i plan to fit in a simple audio system. Since the ambition variant does not come with any audio setup and has provision for a single din audio. Can a 2din HU be fitted in this slot?
My requirement is to have a simple no nonsense 2 din system with USB slot and bluetooth connectivity if possible, though not a must. I also plan to fit reverse parking sensors from autocopxs. Is there a 2 din system which can act as a screen for reverse parking camera as well? I read somewhere in the forum that JVC 646 does this job. But I guess this is way off my budget. I'm looking at something under 20k for HU + Speakers. Any suggestions?
Old 8th March 2012, 14:11   #96
BHPian

Vw Vento Stock Stereo

Hi

Having kept a VW POLO and VW VENTO, I have one grouse on the sound system front. The stock system doesn't play anything other than a CD or FM. secondly it does not list the track details too, except track and folder number.

Need help in addressing these 2 issues of which the latter is more important . The budget is limited and I do not want to tamper with the VW warranty too. So expensive replacements are out of question.

Awaiting valuable inputs.

Have enclosed a pic from my Polo which was available. Shall add a fuller pic later. I am based out of Gurgaon, so solutions requiring me to get the car need to be limited to surrounding Delhi NCR only.

Regards
Attached Images

Old 8th March 2012, 16:48   #97
Senior - BHPian

@Alisiddiqui - Are you asking for suggestions to replace the stock HU or you are asking for only displaying the track details? There is no way you can get the track details to get displayed with this one , the RCD 310 HU(post-refresh) has this capability. This stone age unit doesnt even have a aux-in for facilitating external connections.

You can use a FM transmitter to play through an USB with the same HU, however the SQ wouldnt be worth talking about.

Till the time this HU was there on my car, I was actually using a Sony mp3 player to listen to music when I was driving
Old 8th March 2012, 16:58   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Bala-you mean like this?

ICE upgrade : VW Vento-img00147.jpg

I borrowed the FM transmitter from @dot when he upgraded his Civic ICE. It is slightly better than stock ICE since (a). I can finally play from USB drives and AUX in; (b). I can at least see the name of the file playing. And it's a very cheap solution too!

Sound quality is so-so at best. I have been agonising over upgrading but everyone's advising me to wait till 2013 so I guess I will!

Currently mulling a 1DIN JVC HU with full Focal setup: compos in front, coax in rear doors, 4ch amp to drive these and a monoblock/sub in custom enclosure in the boot. Cost: DON'T ASK!
Old 8th March 2012, 17:07   #99
Senior - BHPian

@Noopster - Spot on, I was wondering where I had seen this in the vento and your reply clarifies! It is a cheap solution, but the SQ will not be anything to talk about.

You've decided to do something good - Why postpone it till 2013? You never know what is going to happen in dec 2012, right?

By the way - Good choice of equipment. Focals are worth the asking price, get a solid 4 amp too and you will be all set. I have heard very good reviews about this amp. If you are going for co-axials in the rear doors, you may not need a seperate monoblock amp to drive the sub. If you still feel the need, you can add it at a later stage. Though I was used to a monoblock in my earlier car, I dont feel the need for it with the current setup in the vento. So, settled for only a 4 channel amp which drives the sub in bridged mode.

Last edited by bala80 : 8th March 2012 at 17:12.
Old 8th March 2012, 20:10   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80
@Noopster - Spot on, I was wondering where I had seen this in the vento and your reply clarifies! It is a cheap solution, but the SQ will not be anything to talk about.

You've decided to do something good - Why postpone it till 2013? You never know what is going to happen in dec 2012, right?

By the way - Good choice of equipment. Focals are worth the asking price, get a solid 4 amp too and you will be all set. I have heard very good reviews about this amp. If you are going for co-axials in the rear doors, you may not need a seperate monoblock amp to drive the sub. If you still feel the need, you can add it at a later stage. Though I was used to a monoblock in my earlier car, I dont feel the need for it with the current setup in the vento. So, settled for only a 4 channel amp which drives the sub in bridged mode.
Thanks Bala and Noop. What are my options then? Is replacement the only one. If so, I need something which is not very expensive and looks OE too. Suggestions pl. read a few threads shared by noopster, Witson appears to be the favoured one here costing about 20k. Anything lesser in mind?
Old 17th March 2012, 01:39   #101
RVD
BHPian

Hello all,

I just purchased a WITSON 9240V for my Fabia assuming that both Polo and Fabia have the same HU with different branding. When I went to get the HU installed, it just would not turn on. The installer just could not figure it out. Request inputs from all the gurus here. The different possibilities that I could think of are :
1) The connector used is not compatable to the one in the Fabia.

2). The software could be a mismatch.

3). The unit itself could have gotten damaged during shipping.

I am a total noob in the matter and do not know where to start. Any help would be very useful.

Ps : Even though after connecting the HU the screen was blank, but upon depressing the reset button, the screen light up (no logo,just blank) and the backlights came on.Not sure if that helps.

Thanks in advance

Rahul
RVD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2012, 02:45   #102
BHPian

I just got the Kenwood DDX4038BT fitted from Jerry's in Trivandrum. I am staying with the OE speakers for now.

The HU looks pretty good, almost as though it were an OE unit, with just a little mismatch in the facia plate.
Old 17th March 2012, 20:20   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post
... assuming that both Polo and Fabia have the same HU with different branding. ...
Both of them come from the same engineering background. 'Same HU, different branding' is not the issue - one has to look at the connector pin diagram of an HU to know whether an existing harness-side connector can be connected directly. Wire colors mentioned on the HU connector pin-out diagram usually gives the clue whether it will match or not.

Quote:
... but upon depressing the reset button, the screen light up (no logo,just blank) and the backlights came on.Not sure if that helps. ...
A Witson, Caska or similar unit is basically a 'computer', so one has to diagnose it like one would a PC or a laptop.

In your case, it may be internal damage, or perhaps if you are lucky an internal loose contact, or at worst a connector mismatch. The installer / you should consult the Witson manual for connector pin-out and wire color correspondence. Temporarily connecting 12V to the BAT & IGN (the Witson should stay silent if IGN is not connected) and Ground to GND will enable him/you to check whether the HU boots or not. If it doesn't, time to contact Witson service.
Old 17th March 2012, 21:05   #104
RVD
BHPian

@ DerAlte : Thanks for your reply. I read on blackdiesel's thread (link here ) that even his systems connector did not match the one on his car and that he had to change the the connector. Now the one that I was given was of an i10. Not sure if this is the correct one. Also, where can I get the connector pin diagram ? Will it not be in the system service manual and if so, will the manufacturer be ready to share the same. I have looked through the package and the only thing that comes with it is the owner's manual which does not give any details.BTW just noticed on the pic posted on blackdiesels thread and his system does not seem to have the BUS BOX that I got with the HU.

Ps : Any help regarding a competent installer would be of great help. Usually most installers are not competent enough to understand software related issues and the guy that I went to install the system wanted to know if he could cut the wires to the BUS BOX ( not sure what it is called exactly) and try and bypass it. I asked him to just hand over the system back.

Thanks

Rahul

Last edited by RVD : 17th March 2012 at 21:08. Reason: Added some content
Old 18th March 2012, 13:05   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... where can I get the connector pin diagram ? .... I have looked through the package and the only thing that comes with it is the owner's manual which does not give any details.

... most installers are not competent enough to understand software related issues ...
What is a BUS BOX that you are referring to? In case you are not getting the right term, it will help us figure out if you can post a pic of the BUS BOX.

The connector diagram can be in one of two places:
* In a (good) user manual
* On the unit itself

Try searching the 'net - perhaps you may find it. If you write to Witson service, I am sure they will be able to help out.

You can always get a Vento-specific harness adapter in the market. Yes, even the best installers are not that knowledgeable when it comes to fitting carputers like Witson into cars - till you tell them that they should treat it just like any other 2 DIN HU like Pio, JVC, etc. Of course, you should be around to figure out the UI, which will be quite unlike dedicated HUs. Just don't get into the thinking mode that there is a software issue - most likely it itsn't, and thinking like that will detract you from actually finding out the problem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks