Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2012, 11:12   #106
RVD
BHPian

re: ICE upgrade : VW Vento

@DerAlte : Thank you for your reply. The term that I was looking for was CAN BUS. Attaching a few pictures.Sorry for the poor picture quality as the photos are taken from a mobile camera.Also, just realized after going through your post that the connection diagram is on the system itself. Posting a picture of that as well. The other question that I have is when you say, "VENTO SPECIFIC" adapter, will any other adapter that fits not work ?What I am trying to ask is, will a fit indicate compatibility or not ? Now, I guess you are right about "one" being around with the installer to figure out the UI.I guess I should have done that. Can you share any contacts of competent installers in Bangalore that I could approach as the one that I went to was not very confidence inspiring.

Thanks

Rahul
Attached Thumbnails
ICE upgrade : VW Vento-can-bus.jpg  

ICE upgrade : VW Vento-can-bus-1.jpg  

ICE upgrade : VW Vento-can-bus-3.jpg  

Old 19th March 2012, 17:29   #107
Senior - BHPian

@RVD - Why not take a look at t-bhp member directory for your city? I see your location as Bangalore and finding a competent installer should not be a problem at all. You also have detailed reviews by the members who have got their installs done from them which will help you take a informed decision, please check.
Old 20th March 2012, 18:14   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post
... The term that I was looking for was CAN BUS. ...
Ah, CAN Bus. The unit expects to send / receive car info like cabin temperature, etc. - whatever the OE display unit displays!!!

Quote:
... Also, just realized after going through your post that the connection diagram is on the system itself. Posting a picture of that as well. ...
Both the connector pinout and the wiring color codes are there on the unit. After connecting the harness connector, you only have to verify whether each pin on the unit is connected to the wire of the right color. If not, there is a problem.

Quote:
... The other question that I have is when you say, "VENTO SPECIFIC" adapter, will any other adapter that fits not work ?What I am trying to ask is, will a fit indicate compatibility or not ? ...
Err... it is quite obvious that with 12 pins to connect, the possibility of the wrong wire being connected to a pin, DESPITE the connector polarization, is rather quite high. So the connector fitting cannot be any indication of compatibility. It only shows that the connector is mechanically compatible, not that the HU will be correctly connected.

Quote:
... Now, I guess you are right about "one" being around with the installer to figure out the UI.I guess I should have done that. Can you share any contacts of competent installers in Bangalore that I could approach as the one that I went to was not very confidence inspiring. ...
One of the installers with the most common sense that I know is Thouqeer of Auto Fusion. This shop is in a by-lane near the Koramangala Club - somewhere near the "Coast 2 Coast" seafood restaurant. Should be in the Installers' directory under Bangalore
Old 22nd March 2012, 16:47   #109
BHPian

Hey guys,

Am a total noob at ICE, infact this is my first after-market install.

I wanted to get a HU from Canada as my friend lives there and is about to come to India; I have the following questions:

1. wanted to get the AVH - P8400BH or the P4400BH from there but my friend has informed that I would get the Canadian/US maps preinstalled and it would be better to get a Indian HU, is it possible to get the Indian maps some-how installed? DVD Receivers | Pioneer of Canada - English

2. How is the Indian-Kenwood for HU's? was looking at
(i) DDX8036BT DDX8036BT | Visual & Navigation Systems | Car Electroics | Kenwood
(ii) DDX7036BT DDX7036BT | Visual & Navigation Systems | Car Electroics | Kenwood
(iii) DNX7380BT DNX7380BT | Visual & Navigation Systems | Car Electroics | Kenwood
Though I am inclined towards the DNX only because it is under the Navigation section, and I do need GPS device. Any advise which of these would be good, and what would be the costs?

3. Also looking at Indian-JVC:
(i) KW AVX846 - 2-DIN AV Receiver KW-AVX846 | AV Receiver | Car Audio | JVC India
(ii) KW AVX746 - 2-DIN AV Receiver KW-AVX746 | AV Receiver | Car Audio | JVC India
How would be the sound Quality comapared to Kenwood and Pioneer? What are screen resolutions.

4. Indian-Pioneer :
(i) AVH P4390DVD - Car Entertainment Systems

Am so confused with all these options, basically I need a good all-rounder with BT, GPS, DVD, and Sound Quality.

Along with this I plan to get some Comps for the front (Morel Maxximos or Polk-audio?) and rear coaxials, later on I might install an amp with a sub-woofer.

So please help guys.
Old 24th March 2012, 12:04   #110
BHPian

Hey guys

Finally got my ICE upgraded last weekend.

1st the criteria:
1. I wanted song display and browse through list
2. Speakers were not very clear and just had to turn volume up for clarity but of no use
3. Restricted input mode to CD / FM only
4. Budget of 30k

2nd the hardware:
HU- Alpine IXAW404E Alpine Electronics of America, Inc. used for 4 months sourced from fellow bhpian and friend who wanted Alpine 117 with time alignment which is greek to me. 32k system for 18k, a value deal for me in end
Front speakers- Digital Design CS6.5 - 8k DD Audio: Mobile Audio | Components | Coax | CS 6.5 | DD Audio
Rear speakers- Digital Design coaxials CXS6.5 - 5.4k
Wiring, connectors, face plate, etc - 3k DD Audio: Mobile Audio | Components | Coax | CXS 6.5 | DD Audio

3rd my decisions:
HU- Decided on Alpine due to past experience and quality of product. Wanted 305s but since it costs 20k , is single din and I had option of 404 from a friend, went for 404 due to looks
Speakers- We heard atleast 4-5 options, Gladen comps, Coaxials in front too, a few others too (Dont recall names now). DD fit my budget and and I spaced the tweeters in the door only since they dint sound too great on the pillar. The Gladens were ever better , but would have got a single set for the cost of 2 I got now.

Final outcome- The stereo sounds great and has been approved by wifey too. Feel its worth every penny spent. I am enclosing some pics too.
Attached Thumbnails
ICE upgrade : VW Vento-img2012031800333.jpg  

ICE upgrade : VW Vento-img2012031800339.jpg  

ICE upgrade : VW Vento-img2012031800340.jpg  

ICE upgrade : VW Vento-img2012031800341.jpg  

ICE upgrade : VW Vento-img2012031800342.jpg  

ICE upgrade : VW Vento-img2012031900346.jpg  

ICE upgrade : VW Vento-img2012031900347.jpg  

ICE upgrade : VW Vento-img2012031800332.jpg  

ICE upgrade : VW Vento-img2012031800334.jpg  

ICE upgrade : VW Vento-img2012031800336.jpg  

ICE upgrade : VW Vento-img2012031800337.jpg  

ICE upgrade : VW Vento-img2012031800338.jpg  

ICE upgrade : VW Vento-img2012031900348.jpg  

Alisiddiqui is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 17:16   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeshock View Post
Hey guys,

Am a total noob at ICE, infact this is my first after-market install.

I wanted to get a HU from Canada as my friend lives there and is about to come to India; I have the following questions:

1. wanted to get the AVH - P8400BH or the P4400BH from there but my friend has informed that I would get the Canadian/US maps preinstalled and it would be better to get a Indian HU, is it possible to get the Indian maps some-how installed? DVD Receivers | Pioneer of Canada - English

2. How is the Indian-Kenwood for HU's? was looking at
(i) DDX8036BT DDX8036BT | Visual & Navigation Systems | Car Electroics | Kenwood
(ii) DDX7036BT DDX7036BT | Visual & Navigation Systems | Car Electroics | Kenwood
(iii) DNX7380BT DNX7380BT | Visual & Navigation Systems | Car Electroics | Kenwood
Though I am inclined towards the DNX only because it is under the Navigation section, and I do need GPS device. Any advise which of these would be good, and what would be the costs?

3. Also looking at Indian-JVC:
(i) KW AVX846 - 2-DIN AV Receiver KW-AVX846 | AV Receiver | Car Audio | JVC India
(ii) KW AVX746 - 2-DIN AV Receiver KW-AVX746 | AV Receiver | Car Audio | JVC India
How would be the sound Quality comapared to Kenwood and Pioneer? What are screen resolutions.

4. Indian-Pioneer :
(i) AVH P4390DVD - Car Entertainment Systems

Am so confused with all these options, basically I need a good all-rounder with BT, GPS, DVD, and Sound Quality.

Along with this I plan to get some Comps for the front (Morel Maxximos or Polk-audio?) and rear coaxials, later on I might install an amp with a sub-woofer.

So please help guys.
Have got a quote from Prevlidge Moto Mall and he has suggested me the following:

1. Head Unit: JVC KWAV70BT - 30,000/-
2. GPS Map My India - 19,990/- is it this high?
3. Front comps: Hertz Energy - 10,750/- too expensive?
4. Rear Co-axials Hertz Energy - 5,950/- too expensive?
5. Antenna/pin/coupler - 500/-
6. Video Parking System: 1 camera + 4 sensors + Voice assist - 6750/- too expensive?

Kindly suggest if the above rates are Ok and if the equipment suggested by him is good.

He suggested Hertz energy because later on if I do want to install an amp and sub-woofer these speakers will handle it.

Also can I get a HU from Canada and get the GPS Map My India installed from here?
Old 26th March 2012, 21:19   #112
Senior - BHPian

I dont want to comment on the rates as I'm not sure about it, but I just responded to your post on the other thread regarding a good installer in chennai. Please speak to them, express your listening intrests, audition the equipments and then take a final decision.

Any decent set of speakers can handle the addition of amplifier/ sub-woofers at a later stage. Just for the sake of reference, you can find my ICE install details and price break-up in my ownership thread.

Quote:
Kindly suggest if the above rates are Ok and if the equipment suggested by him is good.

He suggested Hertz energy because later on if I do want to install an amp and sub-woofer these speakers will handle it.
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 21:28   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisiddiqui View Post
Hey guys

Finally got my ICE upgraded last weekend.
How is the sound with the tweeters mounted on the doorpads like that? I have the tweeters mounted on the dash facing me and find the sound too in your face and bright. Contemplating moving to doors but worried that I might lose some detail and imaging.

Quote:
Have got a quote from Prevlidge Moto Mall and he has suggested me the following:
Not sure about the rates but the prices there are usually a bit on the high side. Do check out different retailers like PowerZone and someone recommended another isntaller called Kannan. Talk to different people before you decide.

PowerZone has some new brand called PHD which few people have given favourable reviews. I am not sure if it some flavour of the month but he has a demo car with them installed so you can check if you like it before you decide.
bottle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 23:40   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle

How is the sound with the tweeters mounted on the doorpads like that? I have the tweeters mounted on the dash facing me and find the sound too in your face and bright. Contemplating moving to doors but worried that I might lose some detail and imaging.
That was my worry too especially with a previous install. We moved the tweeters around before installing them and they sounded great in the doors. I dint like the sound on the pillars. However, it varies per set too, tested Gladen and found them perfect on the pillars but not the DDs i put finally. Go for it. I remember reading also that tweeters should not be faced more than 2inch from speakers. Guess, worked for me

Last edited by noopster : 27th March 2012 at 07:22.
Alisiddiqui is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 00:22   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
I am no expert on this, but I tried various positions of the tweeter before arriving at this -- Move the tweeters to the A-pillar if you can. Also point both of them to the imaginary center between the front two seats (above the armrest).

IMO, that position gives the best imagery for the overall sound and lifts it to above the door level. Also it does not put high frequency sounds directly on your ear.

Last edited by nileshch : 27th March 2012 at 00:23.
nileshch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 13:52   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
... point both of them to the imaginary center between the front two seats (above the armrest). ...
The recommended target is the opposite headrest, especially for tweeters which are bright. A-pillar is sometimes tricky both for mounting and imaging. Safest is the sail panel (inside the ORVM mount) wherever possible.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2012, 11:46   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The recommended target is the opposite headrest, especially for tweeters which are bright. A-pillar is sometimes tricky both for mounting and imaging. Safest is the sail panel (inside the ORVM mount) wherever possible.
Wouldn't that be painful for the person sitting in the passenger seat? I agree the inner side of the ORVM panel is best for mounting the tweeter.
Old 28th March 2012, 14:28   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Wouldn't that be painful for the person sitting in the passenger seat? ...
No, for both the passenger and the driver, the nearest tweeter is off-axis, i.e. pointed at the other seat. The far tweeter is anyway, well, far - even though it is pointed directly at the ear!
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2012, 04:19   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
No, for both the passenger and the driver, the nearest tweeter is off-axis, i.e. pointed at the other seat. The far tweeter is anyway, well, far - even though it is pointed directly at the ear!
Thanks for excellent advice, specially the logic.
I am sorry to ask a newbie question here as I don't think starting a new thread for similar question would be appropriate.

Can a tweeter be added without a Crossover directly to HU front speaker output ?
What would be the cost of decent sounding yet affordable tweeter ?
Old 12th April 2012, 19:46   #120
BHPian

Quote:

1. Head Unit: JVC KWAV70BT - 30,000/-
2. GPS Map My India - 19,990/- is it this high?
3. Front comps: Hertz Energy - 10,750/- too expensive?
4. Rear Co-axials Hertz Energy - 5,950/- too expensive?
5. Antenna/pin/coupler - 500/-
6. Video Parking System: 1 camera + 4 sensors + Voice assist - 6750/- too expensive?

Also can I get a HU from Canada and get the GPS Map My India installed from here?
UPDATE:

As suggested by other bhpians I have visited Chandru Autu and PowerZone, this what I have learnt:

1. HU: Pioneer was suggested by PZ and JVC by Chandru (Talk about adding to the confusion). I want to finalize on AVH-P8490BT Car Entertainment Systems
It has a feature Advanced App mode in that I can use google maps from the phone, do I have to buy the MMI box still? Pus, what is the difference between this and AVH-P4490BT Car Entertainment Systems,

2. Speakers: I was suggested Focal Polyglass by both for the front comps and Focal Axial Coaxials for the rear, how are morrel maximos compared to this?
Any other options??

3. What damping would you guys suggest, is it needed?

Kindly help guys am in a fix.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks