Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2009, 11:01   #1471
BHPian

Eicher has done a good job by modifying the front face of its models in LCV & ICV segments. The vehicles now look better when compared with its earlier looks.

But Ashok Leyland seems to have gone far ahead...take a look at the new look ECOMET trucks. Don't understand how their R&D turns out such ugly & outdated designs. Comparing the earlier version, changes have been made in the front grill, headlight/indicators (back to iveco type), positioning of logo, front wheel arch profile & colour etc. It would have been better to place the logo on the gril. The very asthetic appeal of the truck itself is poor.
Attached Thumbnails
Commercial Vehicle Thread-new-002.jpg  

Commercial Vehicle Thread-new-005.jpg  

Commercial Vehicle Thread-ecomet9123-small.jpg  

Old 16th September 2009, 20:56   #1472
nbr
BHPian

ECOMET looks okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transsenger View Post
Eicher has done a good job by modifying the front face of its models in LCV & ICV segments. The vehicles now look better when compared with its earlier looks.

But Ashok Leyland seems to have gone far ahead...take a look at the new look ECOMET trucks. Don't understand how their R&D turns out such ugly & outdated designs. Comparing the earlier version, changes have been made in the front grill, headlight/indicators (back to iveco type), positioning of logo, front wheel arch profile & colour etc. It would have been better to place the logo on the gril. The very asthetic appeal of the truck itself is poor.

Transsenger - i find the Ecomet better then the previous one. It looks simple and neat then previously overstyled grill. Now the company name and logo gets prominence then the grill
Old 17th September 2009, 00:17   #1473
BHPian

Quote:

And this passes for R&D at Ashok Leyland? Yikes. Why not engage some bright souls from NID or some European design house to get some aesthetic appeal?
Old 17th September 2009, 00:36   #1474
Senior - BHPian

why AL...why?? just look at the rear wheel arches. yuck!!
the older version was sooo good.
Commercial Vehicle Thread-1.jpg

source-wikipedia

Last edited by amit V8 : 17th September 2009 at 00:38.
Old 17th September 2009, 12:12   #1475
BANNED

Guys, let us be realsitic. No body buys trucks for looks. Trucks are purchased for low initial costs, lower maintenance, and higher loadable area & weight (for same Gross vehicle weight).

May be, AL has goofed up on cosmetics of their new range. So? I doubt any prospective buyer will hesitate on those grounds.

Aside - I suspect the white truck posted above (from Wikipedia) does not conform to MV rules - the trucks are supposed to have side impact guards. See the pics in earlier posts.
Old 17th September 2009, 13:56   #1476
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
No body buys trucks for looks.
One of the very small number of reasons i don't like India. No one here buys trucks for their looks :(

Quote:
Aside - I suspect the white truck posted above (from Wikipedia)
I don't think its in India. Maybe an export doing duty in Afghanistan. And in such places the RTO wont really bother them about MV Acts.
Old 17th September 2009, 20:20   #1477
Senior - BHPian

a big hello to all commercial vehicles gurus:

I am in a purchase dilemma & i hope you guys can help me out. We are planning to buy 2 buses for operations within city limits. now, i do like the buses by tata (globus & starbus) with the completely built bodies.

now my requirements are:
1) bus should be low on maintainence & have good FE.
2) bus should have pleasing looks & good interiors.
3) bus should be atleast a 45 seater.

we plan to buy one bus with AC & one without AC. i think the starbus does not come with AC & globus comes with AC. till now, atleast considering the looks, i like the globus & starbus.

a few queries-
1) how are these tata buses? are they reliable? what about maintainence?
2) what do these buses cost, on-road? i mean the globus with AC, globus without AC (if available), starbus without AC & starbus with AC (if available).
3) any other company which makes good buses? please dont say volvo or benz as we are not looking for inter city operations.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 17th September 2009 at 20:22.
Old 17th September 2009, 20:48   #1478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Guys, let us be realsitic. No body buys trucks for looks. Trucks are purchased for low initial costs, lower maintenance, and higher loadable area & weight (for same Gross vehicle weight).

May be, AL has goofed up on cosmetics of their new range. So? I doubt any prospective buyer will hesitate on those grounds.

Aside - I suspect the white truck posted above (from Wikipedia) does not conform to MV rules - the trucks are supposed to have side impact guards. See the pics in earlier posts.
True, to an extend! But consider the following...we are talking about a product in the Indian LCV market. Most of the LCV trucks are owned by individuals or small fleet operators. AL Ecomet competes with Eicher & Tata who are leaders in this segment. Both Eicher & Tata products are well ascepted and proven in the market for their mileage, low maintenance and low cost. The GVW (gross vehicle weight) are almost similar for same category trucks. Now what AL Ecomet offers is only a Higher power engine (Hino 120HP) and moreover AL products are higher priced than competing models. Finally when it comes to marketing, Asthetics has a significant role.
When you get a truck of low operating cost, better mileage, driver ergonomics and large service support across nation from Tata or Eicher @ low cost, why should you opt for a higher priced poor looking truck? So when it comes to marketing trucks Asthetics does have its say.

Moreover asthetics decides the way your products are perceived by the public to an extend. Most of the operators are not good at the techanical aspects of the trucks. They only look for better offers from the dealers. And sure, there may be exceptions.
AL had launched Ecomet series after discontinuing Iveco Cargo range. But even now Eicher & Tata leads with larger share of the market.
So when AL has tough competitors, its always the products that say about themselves.

And the white colour Ecomet912 truck shown above is one among the 3200 trucks supplied to Iraq Govt. by AL.
Old 17th September 2009, 21:28   #1479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
a big hello to all commercial vehicles gurus:

I am in a purchase dilemma & i hope you guys can help me out. We are planning to buy 2 buses for operations within city limits. now, i do like the buses by tata (globus & starbus) with the completely built bodies.

now my requirements are:
1) bus should be low on maintainence & have good FE.
2) bus should have pleasing looks & good interiors.
3) bus should be atleast a 45 seater.

we plan to buy one bus with AC & one without AC. i think the starbus does not come with AC & globus comes with AC. till now, atleast considering the looks, i like the globus & starbus.

a few queries-
1) how are these tata buses? are they reliable? what about maintainence?
2) what do these buses cost, on-road? i mean the globus with AC, globus without AC (if available), starbus without AC & starbus with AC (if available).
3) any other company which makes good buses? please dont say volvo or benz as we are not looking for inter city operations.

Hello, let me put some informations which may help you.

Before that, you have not mentioned the purpose?...like school operations or contract carriage or stage carriage etc.

Tata and Ashok Leyland buses are both good.
Considering your requirements, it depens on what you give preference, like:
1. Low Cost - then Tata
2. Mileage - Tata (in city operations)
Ashok Leyland (for highway)
3. Reliability & Resale - Ashok Leyland
4. Low maintenance - Ashok Leyland
5. Vehicle Uptime - Ashok Leyland

AC Bus:
The Tata Globus are bases on LPO1616 platform fitted with cummins engine. These buses are good performers. In long run body maintenance is costly. And unfortunately Leyland does not have any fully built a/c bus.

My suggestion: Go for a Leyland 12M chassis fitter with rear air suspension, electromagnetic retarder(optional) and 177/145Hp Hino engine. Get the body built by reputed builder preferable like Prakash, Veera, Azad, MG-alma etc. or go for TataLPO1618 chassis.

Non A/c:
Assuming 45 standard seats, Starbus 52 is a good option.
My suggestion :
1. Leyland Viking222WB chassis, whose BS2 version has inline FIP(long life & trouble free).
2. or Tata LPO1512 Cummins
3. Tata LPO1613 Supermilo

Fullybuilt big buses are offered by Tata and ACGL only.Tata buses with cummins engines are better preferred for good reasons.
OE Optional Fitments: Radial Tyres, air suspension, weveller suspension(Leyland) etc.

more???...
Old 17th September 2009, 23:24   #1480
Senior - BHPian

WOW, thanks for the quick reply buddy.

My queries in bold-

Quote:
Before that, you have not mentioned the purpose?...like school operations or contract carriage or stage carriage etc.

sorry about that, it will be contract carriage.

Tata and Ashok Leyland buses are both good.
Considering your requirements, it depens on what you give preference, like:
1. Low Cost - then Tata
2. Mileage - Tata (in city operations)

good to hear that!

3. Reliability & Resale - Ashok Leyland
4. Low maintenance - Ashok Leyland
5. Vehicle Uptime - Ashok Leyland

since AL scores well on the above points, but i dint find any good buses with build bodies from the factory.

AC Bus:
The Tata Globus are bases on LPO1616 platform fitted with cummins engine. These buses are good performers. In long run body maintenance is costly. And unfortunately Leyland does not have any fully built a/c bus.

body maintainence such as? rattling issues?

My suggestion: Go for a Leyland 12M chassis fitter with rear air suspension, electromagnetic retarder(optional) and 177/145Hp Hino engine. Get the body built by reputed builder preferable like Prakash, Veera, Azad, MG-alma etc. or go for TataLPO1618 chassis.

you are saying- buy the chassis & get the body built from outside? any specific reasons for this?
if i get an aftermarket AC fitted, will the fit & finish look good?
secondly, is air suspension available as an option at the tata/AL dealer itself?
lastly, what us an electromagnetic retarder?

Non A/c:
Assuming 45 standard seats, Starbus 52 is a good option.
My suggestion :
1. Leyland Viking222WB chassis, whose BS2 version has inline FIP(long life & trouble free).
2. or Tata LPO1512 Cummins
3. Tata LPO1613 Supermilo

wont the starbus have the advantage of a completely built body from the factory? i guess it will have better looks & fit-finish than aftermarket built bodies.

Fullybuilt big buses are offered by Tata and ACGL only.Tata buses with cummins engines are better preferred for good reasons.

is ACGL a new company? pardon my ignorance please. you said the globus has a cummins engine... so its good right?

does the starbus have a cummins engine?

OE Optional Fitments: Radial Tyres, air suspension, weveller suspension(Leyland) etc.

1) radial tyres - of course.

2) air suspension - standard with globus, isnt it?
with starbus, is it necessary? is air suspension a desired feature in a non-ac bus?

3) weveller suspension - what is this? what are the advantages?

more???...

thanks.
Old 17th September 2009, 23:56   #1481
Senior - BHPian

@ Raj,

For your application there is only one best solution TATA.
proof for it is Pune city. come to pune and see, almost all IT companies as well as Mfg. units ply their employees in TATA fully built buses.

1. Tata buses are silent.
2. Fully built vehicles have very good finish and quality.
3. Tata buses will keep your operational cost low.
4. Better torque curve for city driving. Ashleys have jerky torque. Ask PMT drivers.
5. Quick smooth pick up and good braking too. Exhaust braking (retarder) available.
Old 18th September 2009, 00:40   #1482
Senior - BHPian

sorry the server got hanged and i could not utilize the edit button.

starbus standard 54 seater is a good option. you can also ask for AC.
if school transport is the application then there is a new option called starbus skul which complies with 19 features that are mandate by government.

all these come with 18 months and 1,50,000 kms warranty, including the chassis as well as body with paint blistering and damage warranty too.
Old 18th September 2009, 06:28   #1483
BHPian

The volvo 9700

Spotted a Volvo 9700 twice (yesterday and today) around 4.30 AM on the NH bypass heading towards vytilla from edappally. The bus has two rear axles and that was why I noticed her.

Today morning tried following her to take a snap, but had to end my pursuit as I had to take a deviation and the beast was speeding above 90 kmph. An Ashok Leyland chassis tried pushing her to the side. Right when the volvo driver got a chance to overtake the chassis, he pushed the chassis out of the road and blocked him for a few seconds. This time I got a chance to click a snap, but still I didn't get it clear.

I think the beast is from SRM Travels and it should be in service between Trivandrum and Bangalore or Trivandrum and Chennai.
Attached Thumbnails
Commercial Vehicle Thread-180920091643.jpg  

Old 18th September 2009, 08:19   #1484
BHPian

Volvo buses at the hands of a good driver are hard to catch up. Im absolutely amazed as to how small their turning radius is.
Old 18th September 2009, 08:55   #1485
Senior - BHPian

thanks amit for the help.

is the starbus available with air suspension? if the starbus is available with air suspension & AC, it seems to be a better option than the globus, isnt it?

for my usage, air suspension is a priority over AC!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks