Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2022, 12:15   #271
BANNED

Re: Computer monitor recommendations?

Need suggestions on a monitor for my WFH setup. Currently, my profile requires me to review a lot of yesteryear codes with typical Unix based monochrome editors with hundreds of lines of alien signs. To make it worst, the work laptop' 14" screen is not helping.
I don't need a fancy one, certainly not a miniature TV . The requirement is just to project to a bigger screen.
  • I guess a 24" would be a nice selection that would not be too oversized for my desk.
  • Preferably thunderbolt enabled port which will save me some more wiring that would fight for survival over limited space on my desk.
  • At-least a regular USB port to fix a BT keyboard / mouse.
  • Height adjustable stand will be welcome feature, but not mandatory.
  • The monitor would probably never see any gaming / media consumption for its far future.
  • And most notably should be able to fit into a 6-AMP socket (why on heaven all monitors with USB - C on Amazon need a 16-AMP?).
Can I get something with my requirement in a strict budget? Or I am asking for too much.
Any help would be highly appreciated.
Old 20th June 2022, 10:21   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Need suggestions on a monitor for my WFH setup. Currently, my profile requires me to review a lot of yesteryear codes with typical Unix based monochrome editors with hundreds of lines of alien signs. To make it worst, the work laptop' 14" screen is not helping.
I don't need a fancy one, certainly not a miniature TV . The requirement is just to project to a bigger screen.
  • I guess a 24" would be a nice selection that would not be too oversized for my desk.
  • Preferably thunderbolt enabled port which will save me some more wiring that would fight for survival over limited space on my desk.
  • The monitor would probably never see any gaming / media consumption for its far future.
  • And most notably should be able to fit into a 6-AMP socket (why on heaven all monitors with USB - C on Amazon need a 16-AMP?).
Can I get something with my requirement in a strict budget? Or I am asking for too much.
Though I have stopped coding, I have been at it even before PC's came - on those green and white monitors that had 80 character width all the way upto 3 HD monitor setup that I have now.

Coding is best reviewed in "Portrait Mode". As the width of code lines is generally 80 characters or less, you do not get any benefits in the "Landscape Mode".

There are two options.

1. Use a monitor that has a Portrait mode, that is you can rotate the monitor. Both my 10+ year old LG 24" monitors support physical rotation.

2. Use an Utrawide 4K monitors (at least 27", preferably 30") so that you get two columns of code side by side.

Otherwise use multiple normal 20"/24" HD monitors which can be as low as 10K for good LG monitors.

Some monitors

https://www.benq.com/en-ap/knowledge...evelopers.html

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/best/vertical

Last edited by Aroy : 20th June 2022 at 10:24.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 11:11   #273
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Though I have stopped coding, I have been at it even before PC's came - on those green and white monitors that had 80 character width all the way upto 3 HD monitor setup that I have now.
Though I started coding in PC era, but yes I surely started working on those 80 character editors. Though, the current editors have evolved out of 80 character limitation, thankfully.
Quote:
Coding is best reviewed in "Portrait Mode". As the width of code lines is generally 80 characters or less, you do not get any benefits in the "Landscape Mode".
Yes, swiveling would be a good idea, thank you for the suggestion.

Quote:
1. Use a monitor that has a Portrait mode, that is you can rotate the monitor. Both my 10+ year old LG 24" monitors support physical rotation.
Will stick to these as I have space constraint on my desk.

Quote:
Some monitors
I see, majority of current gen monitors (LG / Dell / Lenovo) are coming with 15 AMP socket, though I am not sure of the reason. If may I ask , you have faced the same issue and how did you manage the same? As per my current WFH set up, I don't have access to any 15 AMP socket.
Old 20th June 2022, 13:54   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Coding is best reviewed in "Portrait Mode"
Landscape mode is actually very useful in coding, because most of the time it is not only the editor that we use.

A typical setup I find very convenient is to have the editor snapped to the left, and 2 terminals vertically stacked and snapped to the right (one to run the exec, another to tail logs). That zone can also have a browser to refer documentation/ stackoverflow etc. if required.

This gives much flexibility and offers more content (useful screen estate) in our natural field of view, compared to portrait mode.

Most Linux desktop environments have options to snap windows (best might be Pop OS with keyboard shortcuts), and Windows 11 too now offers the same.

A corollary of the above is that a 32" 1440p monitor is not just for gaming, but very useful for programming too, especially if it is the only monitor.
Old 20th June 2022, 14:28   #275
BHPian

Quote:
My office has provided me with a 24inch Dell Monitor https://www.dell.com/en-in/work/shop...or-accessories

I'm really impressed with it. If you have right set of cables, monitor pretty much works as docking station [provides enough USB ports and 65Watts charging as well if I'm not wrong - has an option to turn this off in menu]. I'm sure there will be consumer variant of this monitor at a cheaper price. Monitor stand is really easy to set up and use - monitor can be tilted up/down, left/right, rotated on it's axis by 180 degrees - provides great flexibility.

Only con - as you mentioned it comes with 16Amp plug - but is easy to mange with a 16 to 5 AMP converter.
Old 21st June 2022, 10:24   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Though I started coding in PC era, but yes I surely started working on those 80 character editors. Though, the current editors have evolved out of 80 character limitation, thankfully.

I see, majority of current gen monitors (LG / Dell / Lenovo) are coming with 15 AMP socket, though I am not sure of the reason. If may I ask , you have faced the same issue and how did you manage the same? As per my current WFH set up, I don't have access to any 15 AMP socket.
None of the monitors that I have seen, including 4K TV consume more than 200W, so 15A plug is an over kill.

None of my monitors come with 15A plug. It is either a normal 3 pin cable which plugs in the monitors (old ones) or a thin cable with an adapter with 3/2 pin normal plug. Even my son's 4K monitor is normal pin.

So if your monitor did come with 15A socket, just replace it with a normal 2/3 pin one.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 16:20   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somspaple View Post
Only con - as you mentioned it comes with 16Amp plug - but is easy to mange with a 16 to 5 AMP converter.
I recently bought the same monitor (Dell P2422HE) from Amazon and it came with 5 amp plug.

Quote:
Need suggestions on a monitor for my WFH setup. .
Found Dell P2422HE is very good for the WHF setup but average for multi media. The "Levona Q-Series 23.8" (60.5cm) 2K QHD IPS Monitor" has slightly better specs (response time, refresh rate, power delivery) but has only 2 USB port in the hub. I am in the need of 4 USB ports (for Microphone, Speaker, WebCam, Wireless Mouse + Keyboard) and so went with Dell.
r_devakumar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 10:02   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
Found Dell P2422HE is very good for the WHF setup but average for multi media. The "Levona Q-Series 23.8" (60.5cm) 2K QHD IPS Monitor" has slightly better specs (response time, refresh rate, power delivery) but has only 2 USB port in the hub. I am in the need of 4 USB ports (for Microphone, Speaker, WebCam, Wireless Mouse + Keyboard) and so went with Dell.
Buying a monitor just because it has more USB hubs is not a very wise decision. You van always buy a stand alone hub.
https://www.amazon.in/Anker-4-Port-U.../dp/B07L32B9C2
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 10:22   #279
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As long as the max power consumption of the monitor is less than 1000W, you are good with a 5A socket. Just get a 15A->5A converter sockets and you will be good to go
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 14:49   #280
Senior - BHPian

Any suggestions for a 1440p 144hz monitor? I’m planning to buy one.
Old 4th July 2022, 13:08   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
1440p 144hz monitor?
Check out these models from LG (both are 32"):

https://www.amazon.in/LG-Ultragear-C...5SH?th=1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.in/LG-2560-1440-D...7063284031_1_5

Latter is IPS panel, hence a bit more pricey than the VA one. I use the non-HDR version of the VA panel and so far have no complaints.

In general I have had very good experience with LG monitors. My older 27" monitor is going to complete 10 years very soon
mayukh42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 13:30   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been using the Benq EX2780Q for about an year now and absolutely no issues at all. It has a great display and an amazing sound for a monitor.

I have used it for work during the weekdays and also used it for multimedia during the weekends and it handles both workloads with ease.

Link Here: Amazon Link
vsrivatsa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 13:37   #283
BHPian

Quote:
I'm guessing you're looking for a gaming monitor based on the requirement for 144 Hz? Do you have a strict budget in mind?

Here are some 1440p gaming monitor suggestions from a very renowned hardware review YT channel.

Cheers

Last edited by Joxster : 4th July 2022 at 13:40.
Old 13th July 2022, 10:25   #284
BHPian

Anyone got suggestion for a monitor arm? I recently bought a Samsung 24" monitor

I need to buy one more of the same but desk space is limited. So thinking of keeping one monitor using an arm. Any suggestions much appreciated.
Old 13th December 2022, 12:05   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romins View Post
Anyone got suggestion for a monitor arm? I recently bought a Samsung 24" monitor

I need to buy one more of the same but desk space is limited. So thinking of keeping one monitor using an arm. Any suggestions much appreciated.
I am finding myself in a similar position so thought of checking what solution did you apply. Even i am planning to mount the monitor on the wall but there are so many options so thought of checking the forum and found your post. Would appreciate if you can share some pictures and some reviews how is your setup holding up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks