Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2022, 13:43   #286
BHPian

Re: Computer monitor recommendations?

Hello Folks,

My organization has given us a free hand to work from office or from home and me being a lazy fellow i opted for the latter.
I have been working on the company provided laptop (Thinkpad T14) since the last 6 months and with the amount of workload increasing it is becoming impossible to work with multiple windows( RDP sessions in specific) on the same screen.
So here I am looking for suggestions for a monitor with a budget of 20k for office use and occasional Youtube or Netfix.
The monitor has to be wall mounted strictly as the workspace I have is limited. Ill attach a pic for the forum to get an idea about the space available.
My laptop doesn't have a lot of ports and all so if the monitor offers them it would be great.
Attached Thumbnails
Computer monitor recommendations?-img_6890.jpg  

Computer monitor recommendations?-img_6891.jpg  

Artyom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 14:03   #287
BHPian

Pick a Dell professional series monitor P2xxxC models, which have a USB C input and can charge your Laptop. These come in variety of sizes [22, 24, 27 and 32 ultra wide]

The 24 starts at around 13-15 depending on offers and the USB C one costs ~3K more. [Price varies but, this is december, so consider some discounts]

These monitors are the best when it comes to productivity. Not suited for video editing or serious gaming though.

And you need to pick a Wall mount kit from Amazon for ~2-3K for wall installation.
Mustang_Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 17:46   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
I am finding myself in a similar position so thought of checking what solution did you apply. Even i am planning to mount the monitor on the wall but there are so many options so thought of checking the forum and found your post. Would appreciate if you can share some pictures and some reviews how is your setup holding up.

I bought a RIFE brand LCD monitor arm for 24" monitor. Here is the product details. You could buy the same thing from Amazon. I have used it for six months and found it sturdy and useful, it clears my desk. Not the best build quality, but the design and finish of the product is good. I didn't buy the one with an arm, because I mount the clamp on the right side of the desk, not at the back.
Romins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 18:43   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romins View Post
I bought a RIFE brand LCD monitor arm for 24" monitor. Here is the product details. You could buy the same thing from Amazon. I have used it for six months and found it sturdy and useful, it clears my desk. Not the best build quality, but the design and finish of the product is good. I didn't buy the one with an arm, because I mount the clamp on the right side of the desk, not at the back.
Appreciate sharing the link. I would have to buy a Wall mount as my desk is not strong enough to take the load for the monitor and the laptop.
So ill take a look at the website and will order the one which is a single arm full wall mount setup.
Old 14th December 2022, 11:02   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Folks,

My organization has given us a free hand to work from office or from home and me being a lazy fellow i opted for the latter.
I have been working on the company provided laptop (Thinkpad T14) since the last 6 months and with the amount of workload increasing it is becoming impossible to work with multiple windows( RDP sessions in specific) on the same screen.
So here I am looking for suggestions for a monitor with a budget of 20k for office use and occasional Youtube or Netfix.
The monitor has to be wall mounted strictly as the workspace I have is limited. Ill attach a pic for the forum to get an idea about the space available.
My laptop doesn't have a lot of ports and all so if the monitor offers them it would be great.
I hope these are the ports in your T14 (taken from Lenovo site)
2 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 (1 always on)
2 x USB-C (1 Thunderbolt™ 3)
MicroSD card reader
Optional: Smart card reader
Headphone / mic combo
HDMI 1.4
RJ45

So you have plenty of ports. Even if there are less, as long as you have USBC port it will work. What I suggest is that you get the following

. USBC hub with HDMI Port

https://www.amazon.in/CableCreation-...zcF9hdGY&psc=1

The hub will enable you to connect an extra (third) HDMI monitor

. 24"/27" M0nitor. The resolution (HD or UHD) depends on your need (want). I have two monitors connected to my E14 - HD and UHD., and a USBC hub
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 13:42   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I hope these are the ports in your T14 (taken from Lenovo site)
2 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 (1 always on)
2 x USB-C (1 Thunderbolt™ 3)
MicroSD card reader
Optional: Smart card reader
Headphone / mic combo
HDMI 1.4
RJ45

So you have plenty of ports. Even if there are less, as long as you have USBC port it will work. What I suggest is that you get the following

. USBC hub with HDMI Port

https://www.amazon.in/CableCreation-...zcF9hdGY&psc=1

The hub will enable you to connect an extra (third) HDMI monitor

. 24"/27" M0nitor. The resolution (HD or UHD) depends on your need (want). I have two monitors connected to my E14 - HD and UHD., and a USBC hub
Thanks for making me aware that my laptop has 2 USB C type ports.
Trust me till date I didn't know that.
I had a Dell "Dell DA 300 USB-C universal Mobile adapter" lying around and I connected it to the Thunderbolt port and now I have the following additional ports available at my disposal :-

USB-A
1 x USB-C
1 x display / video - HDMI
1 x display / video - VGA
1 x display / video - DisplayPort
1 x network - Ethernet 1000 - RJ-45

I believe now I can just buy a monitor which has a USB-C port which will charge my laptop and will occupy 1 USB port on laptop.
The 2nd USB C I can connect to the DELL Dell DA 300 and I am all set.
Old 15th December 2022, 11:06   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for making me aware that my laptop has 2 USB C type ports.
Trust me till date I didn't know that.
I had a Dell "Dell DA 300 USB-C universal Mobile adapter" lying around and I connected it to the Thunderbolt port and now I have the following additional ports available at my disposal :-

USB-A
1 x USB-C
1 x display / video - HDMI
1 x display / video - VGA
1 x display / video - DisplayPort
1 x network - Ethernet 1000 - RJ-45

I believe now I can just buy a monitor which has a USB-C port which will charge my laptop and will occupy 1 USB port on laptop.
The 2nd USB C I can connect to the DELL Dell DA 300 and I am all set.
USB-C monitors may be more expensive than HDMI, so you can just buy a monitor that has HDMI port. I use my 4k-UHDI monitor on an HDMI port and get 4k at 60Hz.

That will leave your USB-C port free for the charger.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 7th March 2023 at 14:55. Reason: Typo
Old 26th December 2022, 14:27   #293
BHPian

Thanks for all the suggestions folks.
Finally I bought the below monitor and Wall Mount Arm and got it installed.
So far its looking good and lets hope its stays that way.

1. Dell 27 Inch UHD Monitor SE2723DS
2. Amazon Basics Monitor Arm
3. Laptop Pad with height Adjustment.
Attached Thumbnails
Computer monitor recommendations?-img_6939.jpg  

Artyom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 14:00   #294
BHPian

Hello All,

This is not a query on which monitor but rather ask for help regarding a specific type of setup.

For my Work from home setup, I have an HP Elitebook which I connect to my Lenovo monitor using an HDMI cable. I use both the displays, the laptop's and the monitor in an 'extend display' setting. Now, I want to buy another monitor and connect both monitors to the laptop, thereby shutting its lid and using my two monitors in extend display setting.

How do I go about it? What connectors/cables do I need? My laptop has 2 USB C and one HDMI outlet.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 7th March 2023 at 14:53. Reason: Typo
Old 7th March 2023, 16:43   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
Hello All,

This is not a query on which monitor but rather ask for help regarding a specific type of setup.

For my Work from home setup, I have an HP Elitebook which I connect to my Lenovo monitor using an HDMI cable. I use both the displays, the laptop's and the monitor in an 'extend display' setting. Now, I want to buy another monitor and connect both monitors to the laptop, thereby shutting its lid and using my two monitors in extend display setting.

How do I go about it? What connectors/cables do I need? My laptop has 2 USB C and one HDMI outlet.
I use two external monitors with my Lenovo E14, Ryzen5.

Connections
. Right monitor on Laptop HDMI display
. Left Monitor connected on the USB-C hub

The Hub has Monitor, USB-C to Laptop, LAN and two USB ports used for external disks

Computer monitor recommendations?-clipboard01.jpg

The laptop display (HD) is in the centre (borders are the widgets on left and 4K on right)
On left is 24" HD display
On right is 27" 4K display

You can configure the three displays in Windows, so that if the lid is closed then the extended display will be confined to the two external monitors.

I dont's see the reason for closing the lid and forgoeing one more monitor.

Last edited by Aroy : 7th March 2023 at 16:45.
Old 4th May 2023, 14:14   #296
Senior - BHPian

Dear All

I am looking for a Monitor that I can connect my laptop with (over HDMI port) for WFH purpose.

However, the Monitor will also function as an entertainment device, so it has to have provision to connect Amazon Firestick for playing OTT content directly, and also a port on which I can connect my Soundbar.

The Soundbar I have has most ports including eARC , optical and Aux, but not sure which one would work best with the Monitor.

Ofcourse the primary usage of the monitor is WFH, so not looking at something fancy or gaming monitor or very large screen (I think 24-27 Inch will be sufficient).

Please suggest.
Old 4th May 2023, 15:06   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
a Monitor that I can connect my laptop with (over HDMI port) for WFH purpose.

However, the Monitor will also function as an entertainment device.
I'd suggest to go with a 32" monitor, and if your laptop is powerful enough for a display over HDMI at 1440p 60/75Hz, you'd have a really great time working with the extended real estate.

Option 1: Acer 32" 1440p 60Hz (A friend uses this and is very satisfied). 17k

Option 2: LG 32" 1440p 144 Hz (I use an older model of this) but this is on the gaming side. 24k

Option 3: Benq 27" 1080p (We have one in my folks' house, connected with Fire TV Cube over HDMI and a Soundbar over AUX). 12k.

All of the above has AUX out for audio, which I think is the only audio out available for monitors. All have 3 yrs warranty.

When choosing a new monitor,
1. Best pixel density is 1080p at 24"-27", 1440p at 27"-32", and 4k at 32"-43". The more resolution, better for office work with multiple windows.

2. 32" monitor really has excellent screen estate at 2ft working distance. Even 4 windows snapped to 4 corners would still give enough space to each. However, 27" will also do just fine if you only want couple of windows at a time.

3. If to be used for entertainment (consoles/ tv box), if is better to have a size that makes for good viewing from a distance like 5-6 ft. It should be at least 27".
mayukh42 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 20:00   #298
BHPian

Quote:
However, the Monitor will also function as an entertainment device
Please suggest.
Why not go for Samsung M5/7 series, they are smart monitors(OTT apps directly built in). Have been using M5 for last 2 years and it's been a good experience overall.
The series have Dex connectivity, USB pass-through, available in HD/UHD, sizes range from 24-43 inches, built in speakers, option for webcam, Bluetooth, even comes with a remote.
Blackwing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 11:34   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwing View Post
Why not go for Samsung M5/7 series, they are smart monitors(OTT apps directly built in). Have been using M5 for last 2 years and it's been a good experience overall.
The series have Dex connectivity, USB pass-through, available in HD/UHD, sizes range from 24-43 inches, built in speakers, option for webcam, Bluetooth, even comes with a remote.
Thank you so much ! Just ordered the M5 FHD 27 inch on FK.

Interestingly it has an ARC port. Hopefully I can get full utilization of my Soundbar with the HDMI ARC port.

Got a good deal @ 15100 with all discounts.

P.S. Some review mention it comes with a non-standard power input plug. Could you describe what exactly is the issue and the fix for it?
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 11:53   #300
BHPian

Quote:
P.S. Some review mention it comes with a non-standard power input plug. Could you describe what exactly is the issue and the fix for it?
Congratulations!

It's a 16A power plug(like geyser), won't fit standard extension boards.
I just ran a cable from my AC power socket and attached a socket box.

https://www.amazon.in/Anchor-Panason...=1&ext_vrnc=hi
Blackwing is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks