Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2020, 04:46   #151
BHPian

Re: Computer monitor recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfox11 View Post

Ok adding a product link for opinions -

LG32QN600
This looks like a good choice considering there aren't many 32-inch options in this range. It is much closer to its actual price on Amazon as compared to the LG website so a good idea to check there.

Also take a look at these options shared previously if you feel like trading screen size for a few extra features:-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
Choose between these two:-
Acer Nitro XV272U
BenQ EX2780Q
+ a Top-notch panel:- LG Ultragear 27GL850

That should cover everything that's worth buying. Whatever you pick, test thoroughly during the replacement window for things like dead pixels, artifacts or other issues .

Last edited by Amien : 13th October 2020 at 05:05.
Amien is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 00:59   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Games in particular have some really bad scaling issues. I think they are mostly a ploy by manufacturers to sell you less diagonal viewing space for more.
I will have to disagree here. On the Hardware Unboxed Discord server that I am part of, there are many people using Ultrawide monitors, and they are very happy with them. No scaling issues as of such reported. That might have been the case with older games. Do you have any recent examples?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfox11 View Post
27” or above sounds good keeping light multimedia/gaming usage in mind for which I don’t need to be glued to the table. I will keep my eyes open during the upcoming sale.
Getting a good Ultrawide is not cheap, but if there are some really good ones out there. I'm personally not a fan of them, and don't like curved monitors either, but many others do.

Here's a detailed review of a good one that's not extravagantly expensive, and comparable in performance to the 27GL850 suggested earlier.

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 05:29   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
I will have to disagree here. On the Hardware Unboxed Discord server that I am part of, there are many people using Ultrawide monitors, and they are very happy with them. No scaling issues as of such reported. That might have been the case with older games. Do you have any recent examples?
It's true that many new games scale well with ultrawide and most of the ones I found issues with were older ones. I just think that monitors should be a bit more general-purpose. I don't like black bars when watching 16:9 (still the vast majority of) content full-screen and like you, I don't enjoy reading text on curved monitors (these are also not great for creative work). While many people do seem to enjoy them, they are a small minority and I think someone considering them should definitely try one out before taking the plunge. After all its not like one buys a monitor every day, they're often constant across multiple hardware upgrades. Given their price, I would personally choose a larger display over wider every time.

I'm interested in your experience; What did you feel was the best and worst thing about them? Would you ever daily-drive one?

Last edited by Amien : 17th October 2020 at 05:58. Reason: added text
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 00:30   #154
BHPian

Quote:
I don't like black bars when watching 16:9 (still the vast majority of) content full-screen and like you, I don't enjoy reading text on curved monitors (these are also not great for creative work). While many people do seem to enjoy them, they are a small minority and I think someone considering them should definitely try one out before taking the plunge.
Ultrawide monitors are really good for gaming, content creation and even for work (for the people that like them). The experience while gaming is very immersive, and the extra screen real estate is really good for content creators or even people working with Excel spreadsheets etc. However, they are not great for general entertainment like watching movies.

Curved monitors do use the science of the curve of a human's eyeball to make the edges work with your peripheral vision, which apparently works very well while gaming - lots of people like that. For anyone who wants to read up on the explanation of curved versus flat screen monitors, you can read a simple summary here.

Quote:
I would personally choose a larger display over wider every time.
So would I. But, I would even go a step further and say regardless of the price, I would choose a larger display over a wider one due to the disproportionate dimensions - I just don't like it personally.

Quote:
I'm interested in your experience; What did you feel was the best and worst thing about them? Would you ever daily-drive one?
The best thing and worst thing in my opinion
  • Best thing: more immersive experience
  • Worst thing: disproportionate dimensions and aspect ratio

I wouldn't ever get one due to the reasons mentioned already.

Cheers

Last edited by Joxster : 18th October 2020 at 00:55.
Joxster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 07:48   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
Ultrawide monitors are really good for gaming, content creation and even for work (for the people that like them). The experience while gaming is very immersive, and the extra screen real estate is really good for content creators or even people working with Excel spreadsheets etc. However, they are not great for general entertainment like watching movies...
They're actually not good for content creation if you need any sort of consistent control over your composition. Leaving aside scaling for games(and some genres that are either better or worse on one), you've more or less confirmed the reasons why I recommend against them unless one knows exactly what they're getting.

I've also mentioned the immersion aspect as well as their utility for general productivity in previous posts. Hopefully we can agree that they are, at best, a cautious recommendation for a niche audience.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th October 2020 at 11:58. Reason: Trimmed quote
Old 20th October 2020, 16:55   #156
BHPian

Hi Guys, can I get some help regarding choosing the right monitor.

My usage is mostly office work and browsing web. I went through the posts in this thread and I can sum up that I need a IPS panel. I am on a budget of 10-12K max. Please guide me regarding the size of the screen and the other key points to look for. And can I buy from Amazon, just to be sure that the product is new & genuine. If yes, any suggestions from the ongoing sale.
Old 20th October 2020, 18:35   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by distiller View Post
Hi Guys, can I get some help regarding choosing the right monitor. My usage is mostly office work and browsing web. I went through the posts in this thread and I can sum up that I need a IPS panel. I am on a budget of 10-12K max.
This is the monitor I would choose in your budget. Meets all of your parameters, and is good for work usage. You can either have the fixed height version of the monitor or the adjustable height version which costs a bit more, but is a convenient feature to have in a monitor. Happy shopping

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 05:36   #158
BHPian

A programmer here. I had been wanting to add a monitor to my office laptop that comes with a 14 inch HD TN panel. One, I hate TN panels for its vertical viewing angles. 2, HD feels too claustrophobic for me. I really have a problem with small rooms and closed spaces. And then I hate having to scroll up and down when writing code. In the VS code IDE, when the console is up, I could see only a few lines of code and frequently I have to resize the panels to view either panels.

I don't want to spend a lot, as am looking forward to a change in scenery about 6 months down the line. Hence looking for something cheap. So I started my search with a few 22 inchers priced below 7k and some 24s at about 8k, but then I quickly realised that 27 is where the sweet spot is. This was until I saw a deal for a 32 incher from LG priced at 14k. The deal hunter in me could not turn my back to it although I was not convinced about its size or the FHD resolution. I came to terms with the size eventually, but the low ppi bothers me as I would hate to see the pixels. Then I stumbled on this thread and saw the recommendation for a 32 inch WQHD from acer, again at a killer price of 16k. Now, this gets rid of the ppi issue and the deal hunter in me is happy. I placed the order, but it won't ship until 28th.

I am happy with my selection but two days later I am taking a reality check. I started off with a 22 inch on a 7k budget and ended up ordering a 32 incher at 16k. As a programmer do, I really need a 32 incher? Maybe a movie or two once a week, and absolutely no gaming. In the 32s favour, it has WQHD, and the extra lines of code in view would be welcome. Maybe a 27 inch WQHD would have been sufficient, but I don't see any 27 inchers at this price point.

So what I need is words of wisdom from seasoned programmers and tech enthusiasts out here. I know I have erred in my quest, but have I gone too far with my sojourn that I need to turn back?
Old 23rd October 2020, 11:40   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
As a programmer do, I really need a 32 incher? Maybe a movie or two once a week, and absolutely no gaming. In the 32s favour, it has WQHD, and the extra lines of code in view would be welcome. Maybe a 27 inch WQHD would have been sufficient, but I don't see any 27 inchers at this price point.

So what I need is words of wisdom from seasoned programmers and tech enthusiasts out here. I know I have erred in my quest, but have I gone too far with my sojourn that I need to turn back?
Absolutely the right choice. I had the Acer 32" WQHD and it was a massive upgrade for productivity. 1080p is just completely unacceptable above 24" (let alone 32") and you will appreciate the extra pixels every minute that you use the monitor.
There are probably diminishing returns above that point, but I still got a 43" 4K monitor from Acer when Covid hit. You can never have too many pixels

Think about a monitor upgrade as investing in your productivity - even if it goes up by just 5%, it'll have paid for itself many times over in a short period of time.

Last edited by d3mon : 23rd October 2020 at 11:43.
d3mon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 11:46   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
I would consider this 29 inch widescreen model over a 32 inch screen (which is too big IMO) - https://www.amazon.in/LG-inch-73-66-Ultrawide-Built/dp/B00VX8GU34/ One of my friend uses this for his day to day work, and is quite happy with it as it serves the purpose of 2 screens with just one monitor (unlike me who uses a laptop screen + a 24inch monitor = odd sizes to switch across continuously). It was on sale for 17k last week.
Old 23rd October 2020, 16:12   #161
BHPian

If you are looking for a 29-inch ultrawide monitor (WFHD), I feel you can blindly go for the LG 29WN600-W recently listed on Amazon for about 19K. It checks all the boxes except for USB Type-C.

Has anybody come across anything better than this in ultrawide monitors?
Old 23rd October 2020, 18:06   #162
BHPian

Is there a cheap USB Powered monitor available? I was chasing one from Zebronics with model# AU16FHD but it is nowhere else available. That was under 5K.
Is there any other cheap one available anywhere?
Old 23rd October 2020, 22:38   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Is there a cheap USB Powered monitor available? I was chasing one from Zebronics with model# AU16FHD but it is nowhere else available. That was under 5K.
Is there any other cheap one available anywhere?
Something like this + a converter/adapter? Do you need video over USB or just power? What's your use-case?
Old 24th October 2020, 08:08   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Something like this + a converter/adapter? Do you need video over USB or just power? What's your use-case?
This is the exact monitor but it also used to come as USB powered. Basically I want to power monitor only using usb port of laptop. No connecting to wall Power. That was model number AU16FHD (the U in model number denotes USB powered).
Old 25th October 2020, 12:32   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Think about a monitor upgrade as investing in your productivity - even if it goes up by just 5%, it'll have paid for itself many times over in a short period of time.
This is exactly I am looking forward to. More info in view will boost my productivity, I hope. I spend more time switching windows and scrolling up and down than writing actual code. Switch, scroll and I forget what I looked at a second ago. Memory problems - I know - but I can't increase my brain's cache.
Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh_blr View Post
I would consider this 29 inch widescreen model over a 32 inch screen (which is too big IMO) - https://www.amazon.in/LG-inch-73-66-Ultrawide-Built/dp/B00VX8GU34/ One of my friend uses this for his day to day work, and is quite happy with it as it serves the purpose of 2 screens with just one monitor (unlike me who uses a laptop screen + a 24inch monitor = odd sizes to switch across continuously). It was on sale for 17k last week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPS_Guru View Post
If you are looking for a 29-inch ultrawide monitor (WFHD), I feel you can blindly go for the LG 29WN600-W recently listed on Amazon for about 19K. It checks all the boxes except for USB Type-C.

Has anybody come across anything better than this in ultrawide monitors?
The wide ones looks beautiful, but that solution will not work for me. Widthwise, the 29" wide monitor is about as wide as the 32" WQHD Acer. But it has only 1080 pixels vertically, and hence shows the same number of lines of code as a 1080p monitor. The QHD would show about 33% more.

Essentially the 29" wide monitor is nothing but a 32" WQHD with the top 4 inches chopped off.
dragonfire is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed