Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2020, 01:37   #166
BHPian

Re: Computer monitor recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
I'm currently in the process of narrowing down on a 1440p 144Hz+ monitor myself, and these are all in my list of options.
I ended up buying the Dell S2721DGF, and I am very happy with it!

Tim's review made the choice very easy for me, since I liked this monitor the best anyway.

Here's a picture of it in my setup.
Computer monitor recommendations?-img_2183.jpg

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 00:42   #167
BHPian

Is anyone using usb type-c monitors? Any recommendations?

OR
Any recommendations on usb type-c to hdmi connectors (like these https://www.amazon.in/s?k=usb+c+to+h...nb_sb_noss_2)?

I already use a 22 inch monitor over HDMI with laptop (Dell latitude 7400) which has a usb type c port and am thinking of adding another one using either of the above.

Last edited by alto99 : 18th November 2020 at 00:43.
Old 18th November 2020, 10:39   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
A programmer here. I had been wanting to add a monitor to my office laptop that comes with a 14 inch HD TN panel. One, I hate TN panels for its vertical viewing angles. 2, HD feels too claustrophobic for me. I really have a problem with small rooms and closed spaces. And then I hate having to scroll up and down when writing code. In the VS code IDE, when the console is up, I could see only a few lines of code and frequently I have to resize the panels to view either panels.

So what I need is words of wisdom from seasoned programmers and tech enthusiasts out here. I know I have erred in my quest, but have I gone too far with my sojourn that I need to turn back?
I have done a fair amount of coding in the past 30+ years. Here is my experience with the displays

1. As code lines scarcely need more than 100 characters/line get a monitor which can be used in Portrait Mode (my 10 year old LG 24" is capable of that). That way with HD resolution you can read 100+ lines on the screen, more ith higher resolution monitors
https://www.benq.com/en-us/knowledge...evelopers.html
https://www.benq.com/en-us/monitor/d...r/pd2500q.html
https://www.amazon.in/BenQ-PD2500Q-C...s%2C316&sr=8-1

2. Set up dual/triple monitors desktop. Ten you have one monitor (in portrait mode) displaying code, one displaying the tools etc and third one (if you have it) will be used for other tasks.

How to?

. With desktops it is easy get a card that supports 2/3/4 monitors.
. With Laptops you have at least one HDMI - fine for two monitors setup. If you have thunderbolt port then you can have a few more monitors connected.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 15:56   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
Is anyone using usb type-c monitors? Any recommendations?
OR
Any recommendations on usb type-c to hdmi connectors
Monitor (Dell P2419HC)

Cable
Old 23rd November 2020, 14:01   #170
BHPian

My teenage Son has been asking for a monitor upgrade, and looking at the desk space available, I feel 27" is the right size

So, here are the requirements:
- 27", 2560x1440
- Gaming is probably the reason that he is asking for upgrade, so 144Hz.
- Support VRR (also called AMD AdaptiveSync, I think)
- Willing to tradeoff a bit of contrast for good quality color and viewing angles. So, I guess that points towards an IPS panel.
- Budget of around 30k
- Last, but not the least, very strongly prefer stuff that is not made in China or by a Chinese corp. Or, is a monitor one of those things that is difficult to source from anywhere else? Since this isn't exactly a basic-necessity of life, it leads to an interesting dilemma if there are no other options. I saw news about Samsung shifting their monitor production lines to Vietnam and can wait.

For those who have an urge to lecture me on the futility of trying to avoid Chinese stuff, please don't waste your energy. Think of it as my personal preference and leave it there.

Quote:
I ended up buying the Dell S2721DGF, and I am very happy with it!
Thanks for sharing! Can you please share the approximate price, and also the country of origin?
Su-47 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 17:42   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
So, here are the requirements:
- 27", 2560x1440
- Gaming is probably the reason that he is asking for upgrade, so 144Hz.
- Support VRR (also called AMD AdaptiveSync, I think)
- Willing to tradeoff a bit of contrast for good quality color and viewing angles. So, I guess that points towards an IPS panel.
- Budget of around 30k
- Last, but not the least, very strongly prefer stuff that is not made in China
Consider the following models shared a few posts ago:-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
Choose between these two:-
Acer Nitro XV272U
BenQ EX2780Q
Monitors that are better than these, like the Dell S2721DGF and LG 27GL850 mentioned in recent posts are going to be in the ~40k or more range. The ASUS VG27AQ can also be mentioned in the same company. That should cover everything currently worth buying.

Going from 1080 to 1440p represents a big jump in processing power required to drive the extra pixels. Important for the hardware to be upto the task for a worthwhile experience.

Last edited by Amien : 23rd November 2020 at 17:58. Reason: added option
Amien is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 18:19   #172
BHPian

Quote:
My teenage Son has been asking for a monitor upgrade, and looking at the desk space available, I feel 27" is the right size.
I think that it's important to note that increasing the screen's resolution also needs more graphical horsepower, but this is also dependent on the kind of games he's playing. May I ask which GPU your son is using; and maybe what games does he play?

Quote:
Thanks for sharing! Can you please share the approximate price, and also the country of origin?
Well, I live in Belgium, and the cost of the monitor here is around 450 EUR which is about 39K INR. However, this monitor is not available in India yet, and I suspect it will be priced higher there if/when released there. It uses the exact same panel as the LG 27GL850 which Amien already mentioned, just tuned differently by Dell. The monitor is manufactured in China, and I believe that all of LG's monitors are as well.

The suggestions provided by Amien are the considerable options there, and I should reaffirm that the Dell S2721DGF & LG 27GL850 are the best 27" 1440p 144Hz+ IPS panel monitors around - you won't get better than that.

However, some people do take time to get used to them. I experienced this first-hand with my monitor. I had severe headaches for the first 2-3 days, accompanied by eye strain. The headaches went away, but the eye strain remained for about 10 days. This doesn't happen to everyone, but I do feel like people should be cautioned about the possibility - I wish someone had cautioned me about it, haha.

Quote:
Monitors that are better than these, like the Dell S2721DGF and LG 27GL850
Found the LG 27GL850 elsewhere at a lower price than what Amazon has it listed for here. A close friend in Hyderabad got an excellent deal on the LG during the Amazon sale and picked it up for 33k.
He experienced the same thing I did in terms of headaches and eye strain.

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 19:53   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Going from 1080 to 1440p represents a big jump in processing power required to drive the extra pixels. Important for the hardware to be upto the task for a worthwhile experience.
Quote:
May I ask which GPU your son is using; and maybe what games does he play?
He mostly plays Valorant/Apex-legends - he would have liked to play more games, but sadly (for him), there is 2.5 hr/week limit on game-time. HW is 8700k+RTX-2060, and he says he has done enough research to confirm that frame rates on QHD will be fine.

Quote:
However, some people do take time to get used to them. I experienced this first-hand with my monitor. I had severe headaches for the first 2-3 days, accompanied by eye strain. The headaches went away, but the eye strain remained for about 10 days. This doesn't happen to everyone, but I do feel like people should be cautioned about the possibility - I wish someone had cautioned me about it, haha.
I also take a bit of time in adjusting to a new monitor and spend a significant amount of energy in adjusting sharpness, contrast, color-temperature etc., but never had a headache. And, given that your friend experienced the same, doesn't sound like a one off case either. Thanks for the warning!

Looks like my "non-china" requirement is going to make my search a lot more difficult. Let's see how it goes.
Su-47 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 20:04   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I have done a fair amount of coding in the past 30+ years. Here is my experience with the displays

1. As code lines scarcely need more than 100 characters/line get a monitor which can be used in Portrait Mode (my 10 year old LG 24" is capable of that). That way with HD resolution you can read 100+ lines on the screen, more ith higher resolution monitors

2. Set up dual/triple monitors desktop. Ten you have one monitor (in portrait mode) displaying code, one displaying the tools etc and third one (if you have it) will be used for other tasks.
Its been about three weeks with my new Acer 32 inch, and I am very happy with it. The only gripe I have is that I have to strain my neck a bit to see the top part. I can adjust the chair to a higher position, but then the armrests fowls with the keyboard tray.

Speaking about multiple monitors, this 32 incher feels like three vertical 18 inch HD monitors.

Computer monitor recommendations?-mon.jpg
dragonfire is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 02:25   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
my new Acer 32 inch, and I am very happy with it.
What's the model no. and cost?
Old 24th November 2020, 12:32   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
What's the model no. and cost?
This is the one: https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B077BSWLTL

Model no EB321HQU, price was 16.5K but cost me 15K after a 1500 rupee card discount.
dragonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 15:03   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Model no EB321HQU, price was 16.5K but cost me 15K after a 1500 rupee card discount.
OMG! The current price is 22,900

What about the viewing experience of FHD videos in 2560 x 1440 WQHD resolution?

Cheers!
Old 24th November 2020, 15:07   #178
BHPian

Can someone suggest me a 27inch monitor. I mainly going to be watching movies/videos on it and surfing internet so I am guessing a Full HD unit will do?

Apologies but I have not studied the market but simply looking to upgrade my 5 year old 22 inch monitor.
Old 24th November 2020, 16:47   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
Can someone suggest me a 27inch monitor. I mainly going to be watching movies/videos on it ...
Go for LG 27UL850-W. Pick the latest model and not the old model.

For about 39K, you get a 4K monitor (also works at 2K) with USB-C (for single cable connection), 2 x USB ports (for webcam, Keyboard/mouse dongle), and 2x5W speakers (for movies), and more (HDR, Freesync, audio out, etc).

If you can wait for the Christmas sale in Dec or the Republic sales in Jan, you can save a couple of thousands through the prevailing offer.
UPS_Guru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 16:53   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
OMG! The current price is 22,900

What about the viewing experience of FHD videos in 2560 x 1440 WQHD resolution?

Cheers!
The difference is the seller. It was being sold by Appario during the sale, while now it is being sold by some non-descript seller. This is the same model with tilt/rotate stand: https://www.amazon.in/Acer-EB321HQUD...dp/B084MKK9DX/.

I watched the latest of Fargo and This is Us on the monitor and they look decent. The colors are vibrant and is especially apparent when viewed side by side with the laptop screen. But panning shots have the jerks which I guess is to be expected in such cheap monitors. But my primary use case is coding, so I do not care much.

I tried some 4K videos too but my eyes were never able to tell between a FHD and 4K even on a 4K TV.
dragonfire is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks