Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2021, 18:44   #211
BHPian

Re: Computer monitor recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
I was looking for some good 720p cams and landed upon Logitech C270 HD Webcam. Over to the next sales.
Oh, C270 is the one I have ordered, and it should reach me tomorrow. 1.8K after the card discount just a few mins into the closing time.

I wanted to get a 1080p, but dunno why - webcams are so expensive. I mean, they sell 10K smartphones with 4 cameras on it, but charge north of 10K on a 2MP webcam.
Old 25th January 2021, 19:55   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post

I wanted to get a 1080p, but dunno why - webcams are so expensive.
It was very cheap during pre corona days. The WFH concept made the webcams the new gold Back in June 2020 we trolled through the entire Nehru Place for web cams (for office IT solutions) and there was not a single unit available in any shops. Now a decent 1080p is starting at 8K
Old 20th February 2021, 18:55   #213
BHPian

Re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Any recommendations for monitor with the following requirements?
1. Not into gaming, but mainly for work and watching movies
2. Preferably 4k as its going to be long term purchase.
3. Should be able to use Chromecast or firestick sort of boxes for entertainment.
4. Should have audio, will be using a headphones mostly
Old 20th February 2021, 20:27   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagarjun View Post
Any recommendations for monitor with the following requirements?
1. Not into gaming, but mainly for work and watching movies
2. Preferably 4k as its going to be long term purchase.
3. Should be able to use Chromecast or firestick sort of boxes for entertainment.
4. Should have audio, will be using a headphones mostly
A budget is required before any recommendations can be made.

Optimal resolution is dependent on screen size and viewing distance. There's a lot more to display quality than resolution/x number of pixels.
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 21:44   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
A budget is required before any recommendations can be made.

Optimal resolution is dependent on screen size and viewing distance. There's a lot more to display quality than resolution/x number of pixels.
Sorry for not be specific.
Budget is <20k INR
Primarily this will be used for work, so the distance will close.
Occasionally I want use it for watching some digital content from a Chromecast/firestick sort of devices with Bluetooth headphones.
nagarjun is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 19:12   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Budget is <20k INR
Take a look at the BenQ GW2480T (adjustable stand variant). You can choose the 27-inch one if you want to prioritize screen size over detail but 24-inches is optimal.

Please avoid larger/higher resolution monitors in this price range as they will prove to be worse than useless.
Amien is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 00:36   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Budget is <20k INR
Occasionally I want use it for watching some digital content from a Chromecast/firestick sort of devices with Bluetooth headphones.
I am using Dell U2415 and quite pleased. It has a resolution of 1920 X 1200 compared to the regular 1920 X 1080, which translates into higher vertical real estate and very useful for work.
Jaguar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 07:31   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Budget is <20k INR
With monitors, I always follow the principle - “Bigger the Better”.

Check out the 28 inch ACER monitor that fits all your requirements here — https://www.amazon.in/dp/B079N8BR8G/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_8NF104A4YXY2TNWEQC8D?_encodin g=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Computer monitor recommendations?-81zmmemph1l._sx679_.jpg  

EightSix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 19:45   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I am using Dell U2415 and quite pleased. It has a resolution of 1920 X 1200 compared to the regular 1920 X 1080, which translates into higher vertical real estate and very useful for work.
A good choice if OP doesn't mind black bars when watching (the vast majority of) 16:9 content.
That aside, it's a nice panel and a good way to get a bit of extra real-estate without compromising on detail/quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightSix View Post
With monitors, I always follow the principle - “Bigger the Better”.
This is the best principle to end up with a garbage TN panel like the one linked above. Please avoid at all cost.

If you must have a larger/higher resolution screen, consider this LG 27QN600 instead. Beware of moderate to heavy backlight bleed/IPS glow and panel gaps due to high QC variance that is common among large/high-res displays in this price-range. You might get lucky and end up with a good one though so use your discretion.

Last edited by Amien : 23rd February 2021 at 19:50. Reason: added option
Amien is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 16:23   #220
BHPian

Amien and Joxster - Thank you both for the amazing detail, explained so clearly!

With many people asking for recommendations for media viewing, I am slightly confused on options for my use case - mostly MS Office, Coding but also edit my photos (RAW files from Canon). Decent color accuracy is important in this case (not a professional yet. Other requirements:

1. Height and tilt adjustable
2. VESA mount compatible
3. Has to work with both Windows and Mac (some otherwise excellent monitors seem to have issues with the Mac, when trying to calibrate for a non-Retina screen)

The monitor will primarily be on my desk with ~3 ft distance max. I am considering LG Ultragear 27-inch 27GL850 (Link) and BenQ 31.5 Gaming Monitor - EW3270U (Link)

I am open to suggestions on other brands and models. Budget is ~30K INR.
sridharj77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 16:41   #221
Senior - BHPian

Been thinking of getting a monitor for sometime, and this one's been in the cart for a few days now.

What do you guys think?

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08H1FXFNT/
Old 17th March 2021, 03:06   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharj77 View Post
Amien and Joxster - Thank you both for the amazing detail, explained so clearly!

Quote:
With many people asking for recommendations for media viewing, I am slightly confused on options for my use case - mostly MS Office, Coding but also edit my photos (RAW files from Canon). The monitor will primarily be on my desk with ~3 ft distance max.
I don't think the LG 27GL850 is a great fit for your use-case, and I'm not sure that you'll be comfortable with the BenQ EW3270U - it's quite big at 31.5 inches, and isn't great for color accuracy.

My alternative suggestions would be:
  1. If wanting to strictly stay below 30k then my suggestion would be the Benq PD2700Q 27" IPS 1440p (QHD) 60Hz - recommended this monitor above the EW3270U due to it being a 10-bit panel + better color accuracy, even though the resolution is lower.
  2. If you're ok stretching a bit above 30k then my suggestion would be the ASUS PB287Q 28" IPS 2160p (4K) 60Hz - strongly recommended for your use-case due to the 10-bit panel + higher resolution + better color accuracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Been thinking of getting a monitor for sometime, and this one's been in the cart for a few days now.
I mean, it's not a bad monitor, but it isn't a great one either. I guess it depends on your use-case. It doesn't even have a basic thing like height adjustment. Here's a review on this monitor by TFT Central.

What are your requirements from a monitor?

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 08:00   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
If you're ok stretching a bit above 30k then my suggestion would be the ASUS PB287Q 28" IPS 2160p (4K) 60Hz - strongly recommended for your use-case due to the 10-bit panel + higher resolution + better color accuracy.
Really appreciate you spending time to look through questions and responding! Feels refreshing!

The BenQ monitor that you recommended looks awesome, but this upgrade pick seems to have some issues. Many reviews summarize it as:

"There's severe issue of backlight bleeding and color fade. If you choose a solid color in photoshop, the color changes from centre to edge as if there's gradient applied."

Most of my office work also deals with color (Powerpoint, design tools) apart from the usual MS office and Software dev, so color accuracy is fairly important.
Old 17th March 2021, 10:47   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
I mean, it's not a bad monitor, but it isn't a great one either. I guess it depends on your use-case. It doesn't even have a basic thing like height adjustment. Here's a review on this monitor by TFT Central.

What are your requirements from a monitor?

Cheers
Height adjustment is not a deal breaker for me since i have a monitor stand and not much of a gamer these days. Mostly RPGs and slow paced games only, so i assume the 60hz refresh rate would suffice.

I was looking for a 4k monitor with HDR. Curved would have been awesome but at a price point below 30k that would be crazy.

Some gaming, Movie watching with 4k HDR and i guess that's about it
Old 17th March 2021, 14:47   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Really appreciate you spending time to look through questions and responding! Feels refreshing!
You're welcome!

Quote:
The BenQ monitor that you recommended looks awesome, but the ASUS seems to have some issues.
I mistook the ASUS for being part of their newer ProArt line-up of monitors. Looking this monitor up properly, it is an old model from 2014, and I would not expect it to match up with the superior panels available in the market today. My bad for suggesting it, and it's a good thing that you looked it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
I was looking for a 4k monitor with HDR.
Alright. I think the monitor will work as a budget 4K option. However, this monitor doesn't have HDR, make no mistakes about that. HDR10 is just a marketing gimmick - it's a protocol, not a feature. If the display cannot actually show you HDR (which this one cannot), then having the protocol is of no use.

To quote an article from TFT Central:
Quote:
“HDR input support” or “HDR10 support”
This is one of the most common marketing ploys used by display manufacturers, and reminds us a little of the early days of “HD ready” TV’s – those could accept an HD signal but lacked the necessary resolution to really display it properly! Saying a screen can “support an HDR input” or accept an “HDR10 source” is largely meaningless and something we feel is quite misleading for consumers. Being able to accept an HDR input signal is all very well, but the screen needs to be able to properly produce an HDR output as well. We have seen many displays released and marketed for HDR when they lack the necessary ability to produce higher dynamic ranges or anything approaching HDR. Other attempts to mislead consumers like creating proprietary HDR badges and naming schemes may also be found in the market, but again are offering no real HDR performance from the display. If you see these terms listed for a monitor, be wary, they probably aren’t truly offering any HDR experience unless they also carry a proper certification or provide more details in the specs.
You can read the full article here: Link

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks