Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2020, 02:55   #106
BHPian

Re: Computer monitor recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
So, my son scratched my Samsung monitor with a safety pin and i am looking to upgrade in sometime...
Bad luck! What is your use case? Also, what's most important to you in a monitor? Size? Resolution? I ask because I remember from helping you with your PC build that you are not into gaming, and that AOC monitor is really for gaming.

Edit: I would also like to share a very good video on the different types of monitor panels. I didn't know the differences before watching this video about a year ago, so thought of sharing it for the benefit of others who might also not know. Quite an important factor to consider while buying a monitor IMHO.

Cheers

Last edited by Joxster : 2nd July 2020 at 03:14.
Old 2nd July 2020, 12:37   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
Bad luck! What is your use case? Also, what's most important to you in a monitor? Size? Resolution? I ask because I remember from helping you with your PC build that you are not into gaming, and that AOC monitor is really for gaming.
Hey joxster, The AOC caught my eye [it is eye catching], because i might get a good deal for it. Something like 21k odd. Main purpose would be movies and tv series, with some occasional gaming.

Having height adjustment is a good bonus for me.
Old 2nd July 2020, 14:56   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Hey joxster, The AOC caught my eye [it is eye catching], because i might get a good deal for it. Something like 21k odd. Main purpose would be movies and tv series, with some occasional gaming.

Having height adjustment is a good bonus for me.
I absolutely agree that it's a good looking monitor. I recently bought an AOC 24G2 for a friend, and he's very happy with it - pity that they don't sell this model in India, because that would be my recommendation being an IPS panel.

However, in your case, I would actually recommend the AOC 24G1. A 24 inch screen is really the maximum size for good clarity at 1080p (Full HD as they call it). A 27 inch screen for a 1080p resolution is not ideal, and the clarity will not be as good as it can be. If going for a 27 inch screen, the recommendation is 1440p instead. Of course this all comes down to what you want at the end of the day, but this is what I've been recommended by a professional who evaluates monitors for a living.

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 16:21   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A 24 inch screen is really the maximum size for good clarity at 1080p (Full HD as they call it). A 27 inch screen for a 1080p resolution is not ideal, and the clarity will not be as good as it can be. If going for a 27 inch screen, the recommendation is 1440p instead. Of course this all comes down to what you want at the end of the day, but this is what I've been recommended by a professional who evaluates monitors for a living.

Cheers

I agree . For a monitor to render best in HD the max size is 24 inch. We have a few monitors at work which are HD and 32 inch. They are ungainly to look at for long duration.
Old 2nd July 2020, 17:45   #110
Senior - BHPian

I recently got a 32 inch Acer monitor with 1440 resolution and 60Hz refresh rate.

https://store.acer.com/en-in/display...peaekers-black

As this is for home office where I never play games, 60Hz was perfectly fine.

I thought 32 inch would be too be to sit in front of, I am really loving the size. I use it in a three way setup, one left hand vertical screen and two horizontal screens piled up on right. The vertical screen is really helpful in writing Word documents or Excel, even programming. It is basically a tablet like screen. The two horizontal screens on left can have any other programs open for quick access.

For less than 20k, I think this 32 inch is a must for a home office. The attached speakers are a welcome addition, as I don't have to sacrifice any more desk space.
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 19:28   #111
Senior - BHPian

How would 1080p movies look on a 2160p monitor?
Old 2nd July 2020, 20:55   #112
BHPian

Quote:
How would 1080p movies look on a 2160p monitor?
1080p movies on a 4K screen would still look good. Kind of like watching 720p videos/movies on a 1080p screen, but maybe not as bad. I know TVs and monitors use different technology, but just as a similar comparison, I watch movies in 1080p on my 4K TV quite often, and the quality is definitely still good.

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 13:35   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A 27 inch screen for a 1080p resolution is not ideal, and the clarity will not be as good as it can be. If going for a 27 inch screen, the recommendation is 1440p instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I agree . For a monitor to render best in HD the max size is 24 inch. We have a few monitors at work which are HD and 32 inch. They are ungainly to look at for long duration.
I just got myself a 27 inch FHD Inch Screen after returning a 24 inch FHD one and understand what you mean. Its about OK for text. But a 24 inch felt small to me and did not want to stretch the budget for a QHD 27 inch. The text on Browsers, PDFs on Acrobat Reader and other icons etc render fine but a pure Word Document and reading text on the Word documents is a not a good experience on 27 inch FHD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I recently got a 32 inch Acer monitor with 1440 resolution and 60Hz refresh rate.

For less than 20k, I think this 32 inch is a must for a home office.
Looks interesting - where did you buy from and what was the price?

On another note, a nicely written Blog that covers all aspects one should know before going for a Monitor Purchase: (and Updated as of June 2020)

Best Large Monitors: URL

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 3rd July 2020 at 13:40.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 21:35   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quick question: Is there any Windows based tool that will check and give information on the Maximum Resolution supported by a Laptop/Display Adaptor?
Or do we need to refer the Manual from the manufacturer?
Old 3rd August 2020, 21:58   #115
Senior - BHPian

Re: Working from home? Show us your home office

I am looking for a monitor for my home office set up. Budget is 15k, can you help shortlist?

HP EliteDisplay E233 - It is around 16k.
HP 24es Display - T3M79AA is around 13k.
My colleague suggested BenQ GW2480 - 10k

Any feedback on above models?
Old 5th August 2020, 00:49   #116
BHPian

May not be the correct thread for posting but I'm looking for a Monitor Arm for my recently acquired Acer Nitro 27 inch LED Monitor. Major reason is to free up space from the table and looking for table mounted Monitor Arms only.

Any suggestions ?
Highh5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 21:32   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
My colleague suggested BenQ GW2480 - 10k

Any feedback on above models?
I placed order for this Benq model today. Prime day sale + Hdfc card discount brought the price down to ~8600.
Old 9th August 2020, 09:47   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I placed order for this Benq model today. Prime day sale + Hdfc card discount brought the price down to ~8600.
Looks like I am delayed in responding. But if possible check if you can switch to the Benq EW 2480 Model here: URL
Note: If the item has not shipped/delivered yet you should be able to cancel the order and place an order again. And the Freedom Sale is still running so you can get a similar discount with SBI Credit Card.

BENQ Product Video:

YouTube Review for the same:

While I will write a detailed review later but this one offers more features (at the cost of NOT having a Display Port) for the price difference paid such as the Eye Reminder, HDRi and excellent sound by Trevolo (you won't need additional speakers at all) . This is also an 8-bit Panel - GW series is a 6-bit Panel + NRC.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 9th August 2020 at 10:09.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 10:52   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

I am facing a bizarre problem with my monitors. Our office brought home one of my monitors at work due to the continued WFH and I opted for the one similar to what I have at home. After installing this, I see that both monitors have a different hue. While the one I have personally is having a neutral and pleasant color balance, the one I got from office is having a slightly reddish hue. This is totally annoying for me especially if I see two white windows on either monitor. Both the monitors are Dell U2412 ultra sharp which come with a color calibration certificate. Both run off the same graphics card, and Nvidia GTX 1060, one connected to DVI and another to Displayport. I reset both monitors and use the same settings on both. My graphics card and display settings dont change colours and everything is default. Still, if I see both monitors, the color difference is noticeable.

What could be the problem? I will try to set custom color settings in the monitor but I am startled to know how can two exactly similar monitors which are supposedly color calibrated display different hues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
May not be the correct thread for posting but I'm looking for a Monitor Arm for my recently acquired Acer Nitro 27 inch LED Monitor. Major reason is to free up space from the table and looking for table mounted Monitor Arms only.

Any suggestions ?
I suggest Amazonbasics. Especially if you are not looking at wall mount. It is pretty well built and rigid. Just ensure that the base of the table where you will anchor the mount is quite solid and not some thin or fragile material. Else given the weight of the stand and the reach of the arm, it will end up in breaking the base. I have mounted it on 20mm thick plywood and it is working well from the past year.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 15:36   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post

Any suggestions ?
Audioholic has suggested the stand and I have the same with a 22 inch monitor. The stand below the monitor is the monitor riser from Amazon basics. Just to give you an idea of the installation, the monitor can me lifted another 2 inches.

Computer monitor recommendations?-img20200525wa0019.jpg
avira_tk is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks