Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2021, 10:44   #586
BHPian

Re: The Fitness Band / Smartwatch Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Quick question: Do the music apps on smartwatches work as a standalone app or only as a companion to the phone?
Standalone. Spotify on garmin lets you download your entire music library at once and keep it synced.

In fact that's the best way to listen to music on garmin atleast. It is very cumbersome to browse for music on the go.
anandhsub is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 22:38   #587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
I am thinking about getting the Samsung Watch 4 and have a few questions. Please note that this will be my first smartwatch:

1. Based on most reviews, the battery might need charging every night. Assuming daily charging, will the watch battery last at least a couple of years? Also, do they replace batteries at the service center?

2. I know that some features such as ECG monitoring are not available in India. Is there any way to unlock these features?

I took a leap of faith and booked the Samsung Watch 4. Adding some more questions:
  • I'm thinking of replacing the strap with a metal strap since I'm used to watches with metal straps. Any problems with that? Also, any recommendations for for comfortable and good looking metal strap would be appreciated.
  • Is any screen protector needed for daily use? That is, how susceptible is the glass to scratches?
KL01toKA03 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 15:28   #588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I took a leap of faith and booked the Samsung Watch 4. Adding some more questions:
  • I'm thinking of replacing the strap with a metal strap since I'm used to watches with metal straps. Any problems with that? Also, any recommendations for for comfortable and good looking metal strap would be appreciated.
  • Is any screen protector needed for daily use? That is, how susceptible is the glass to scratches?
Did you get the LTE or Bluetooth version ? I'm going to the store today to try the watch and book one if I'm happy with it. I'd advise getting a proper screenguard which doesn't hamper the touch functionality even though the watch has gorilla glass.

From the reviews any 20mm strap should fit but not sure if you get metal straps which are 20mm. However, with a metal strap it may be uncomfortable to wear at night if you intend on using the sleep tracking feature.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 09:41   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Did you get the LTE or Bluetooth version ?I'd advise getting a proper screenguard which doesn't hamper the touch functionality even though the watch has gorilla glass.

From the reviews any 20mm strap should fit but not sure if you get metal straps which are 20mm. However, with a metal strap it may be uncomfortable to wear at night if you intend on using the sleep tracking feature.
I booked the Bluetooth version. I think I'll use the bundled strap for some time and see if it is comfortable. Thank you for the point about sleep tracking.

It would be nice if some protective shell case was available in India for the Watch4 classic. There are some cases available on amazon.com, but it cannot be shipped to India.
Old 6th September 2021, 15:29   #590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It would be nice if some protective shell case was available in India for the Watch4 classic. There are some cases available on amazon.com, but it cannot be shipped to India.
So yours is expected Sept 10 ? I got a Sept 30 delivery date but went ahead and booked it anyway with the hope they will try and ship it earlier. 25 day wait is simply too long.

The cases should be available here in a month or two perhaps.
Old 6th September 2021, 22:19   #591
BHPian

I suggest that people who have a Samsung watch or planning to buy one, buy a protective case as well.

My Galaxy Active 2 watch which is 10months old started have problems with the heart rate sensor and the step counter. Service center is denying me a warranty claiming that there is a scratch on the back cover of the watch which is causing issues with the sensor and its a physical damage. I vaguely remember that the scratch happened long back and the watch worked without any problem for few months if not more. They said warranty can be denied if there any scratches etc.

I am in discussions with Samsung customer care, but so far it has been a futile exercise and I may have to shell out 3-5k for the repairs.
nagarjun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 07:31   #592
Senior - BHPian

Folks, I am looking to buy a fitness band for my mom which comes with ECG. I came across this one by GOQii brand but have never heard of it and not sure how the product is. Any users here?

Open to other suggestions as well.
Old 7th September 2021, 08:13   #593
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Folks, I am looking to buy a fitness band for my mom which comes with ECG. I came across this one by GOQii brand but have never heard of it and not sure how the product is. Any users here?

Open to other suggestions as well.
Goqii used to have this issue that after a period, you had to purchase the app license. Essentially, rendering all the tracking of additional functions logging etc useless. Do check if the device comes with the credo "one year free access" type thing.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 19:53   #594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
So yours is expected Sept 10 ? I got a Sept 30 delivery date but went ahead and booked it anyway with the hope they will try and ship it earlier. 25 day wait is simply too long.

The cases should be available here in a month or two perhaps.
Mine is expected on Sep 10th.
Old 10th September 2021, 13:52   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Mine is expected on Sep 10th.
Got the watch today. The 42 mm dial is perfect for my small wrist. The bundled straps seem comfortable. So, I am planning to use it till the white color becomes faded/dusty.
Old 11th September 2021, 11:08   #596
Senior - BHPian

Looking to buy the Samsung Watch 4 44mm BT model.

On the Samsung shop app, i get Rs.1,000 discount, will the 3k cashback be applicable as well?

Last edited by deathwalkr : 11th September 2021 at 11:35.
Old 14th September 2021, 16:39   #597
Senior - BHPian

Got the 44mm BT model today. That was impressive shipping by Samsung. Shipped on 11th from Noida and delivered way down south in Trivandrum in 3 days.

Setting up the watch and looks ok for now. Just figuring out it's features for now. Installed google fit on it and now to set up a music streaming service on it.

Might get this when it launches so that i don't miss my G-Shocks all that much

https://www.spigen.com/collections/g...40031940935727
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 21:31   #598
BHPian

Can a patron pl post some links to good fitness watch buying guides? I am looking for one to replace my four yeas old Fitbit Surge and do not know where to start.

P.S - One thing I loved about my Surge was its understated kindle-like screen. Can I get a similar watch now?
Old 14th September 2021, 21:51   #599
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Looking to buy the Samsung Watch 4 44mm BT model.

On the Samsung shop app, i get Rs.1,000 discount, will the 3k cashback be applicable as well?
Yes it will be, should have pre ordered though you missed out on getting couple of straps at 500 rupees or galaxy buds pro at 5999
Old 14th September 2021, 22:23   #600
BHPian

Suggestion for a good smart watch for wife to be gifted on her birthday. She uses Note 10 so a Samsung should be no brainer. But wanted to explore other options as well if they provide better tracking if specially sleep tracking or provide a better smartwatch experiecne (don't think there be many options here as a Samsung watch works best within the ecosystem). Not having a Google assistant is a big miss in my opinion. Nothing comes close to Google assistant. Have tried Alexa and Bixby as well but none performed better.
Anything else to consider. Other options considered

Oppo - Looks like a Apple watch and looks premium as well
Mi - Doesn't look feminine
Fitbit - Versa and Sense - somehow round dial of Samsung looks more feminine than Fitbit's squarish face. Will miss some features as well. But overall better watch for health tracking.
Garmin's - The best trackers. Period but don't think are polished smart watches. May not be very feminine for daily use.
Honor and Huawei V6 - Both seem to pack a lot for under 7 K. Are they worth it? Any feedback. If the Mi watch is anything to go by these should be absolute VFM. Somehow I am liking the rectangular face. Not sure of it will look good on thinner wrists.
Fossil/Tic watch/One Plus/Amazfit and host of other such watches - Not sure if the overall experience is polished enough

Any other options. The only concern I have is if these watches especially the costlier one will last more than 3 years. Any feedback here would be great. I use a Mi Band 4 which cost me less than 2 K and have satisficed my needs of basic tracking without a fuss . Even if I have to throw it away now it wont hurt at all. Wife used a Samsung Gear fit and utility wise its somewhere in between a smart watch and a tracker. It was neither a good tracker nor a provided a full fledged smart watch experiecne. Screen cracked within a year and even though it works it sitting in the cupboard now a days. Cost me 9K and I thing I could have bought great trackers at that budget.

So the need is a watch which provides a premium experiecne, is good at tracking (if not the best) and provides a fulsome smart watch experiecne without any exceptions. In case there are no such Android watch I am ok to get the best tracker as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks