Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2013, 13:30   #7126
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

My friend is looking for a LCD projector for his home theater. Any experiences/reviews on Dell 1210s?
Old 3rd December 2013, 15:16   #7127
BHPian

Purchased a Samsung UA32F5500ARLXL(32 in LED Smart TV) last week for bedroom and enjoying it a lot. No STB connection yet, so using it for the movies in my HDD and smart features. The in-built player played whatever movie format i throwed at it. TV speakers are better than what i expected in a flat screen tv. All share cast from my SGS3 works well and comes in handy to quickly mirror my phones screen. Have had good experience with all my Samsung products(3 AC's, 1 TV, 2 Smart Phones, 1 Fridge, 1 Washing machine :-)) till now and hope it continues.

Planning to buy wireless headsets for the TV so that kids dont get disturbed during sleep. Any suggestions? Does two headsets come in single package(1 transmitter + 2 headsets)? Coz most of them i saw in websites comes with 1 headset only.
Old 3rd December 2013, 19:11   #7128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
My friend is looking for a LCD projector for his home theater. Any experiences/reviews on Dell 1210s?
There is a thread for this
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...projector.html
Old 3rd December 2013, 20:14   #7129
BHPian

Guys,

A few months back on this very thread, I was very happy to announce that I had laid my hands on a 51 incher Samsung Plasma TV, model PS51E8000GR.

I had bought this TV in november 2012 and to my horror, just when the warranty got over(2 weeks out of warranty) I saw a few vertical lines on the right side of the screen, running from top to bottom. I promptly called up the customer care and informed them about the issue. A technician visit followed in a couple days and I was informed it would cost me 30k INR to get the TV back in original condition. Culprit was the Plasma Panel itself(the screen) and once the part is changed, samsung would give me a mere 2 months warranty on the changed part.

Now I started googling about the issue and found thousands of complaints about the same part failing in samsung plasma TV's pretty frequently, most of them failing within the first couple years only. Samsung Global covered the part considering it a manufacturing defect even though it was out of warranty in some countries like the US and UK, but we live in India.

My point is, when I spend INR 95k on something and it fails within almost a year(a couple weeks out of warranty), it is really disappointing. Consider you put faith in a company, buy a car worth 10-15L and its engine fails after its couple year warranty gets over and this is a common fault in their cars. The company then asks you to pay the cost of the whole engine which is almost 1/3 the original cost !! isn't it ridiculous ?

If there would have been a minor fault, I wouldn't have brought this up as an issue at all and probably would have got it replaced at my own cost. Plasma panel failing, which is one of major parts in this product, means this is a manufacturing defect and there are thousands of complaints all over the internet about the same part in Samsung TV's to support my claim. This really means that Samsung is not building this product perfectly.

Samsung is fully aware of the problem with their product and hence they do not offer any extended warranty on their Plasma TV's while they do the same for their LCD/LED TV's and almost every other product. Here's the link :

http://www.samsung.com/in/smartwarra...uctRange1.html

Does it make sense for a part as critical as the plasma panel in a plasma TV to fail so frequently ? I have 2 TV's from LG(a CRT and an LCD) back at my parent's place, which were bought 14 and 6 years old respectively and have never ever made us call the LG customer care. Only issue is we've changed the remote twice, which were crushed by the kids. It was me who wanted to give samsung a try, gambled and learnt a lesson really well - never ever gamble, it might seem like a really good idea but will surely harm you. LG - highly recommended !!

So it all sums out that I should be ready with around 30k in hand every year to see my TV running. After having spent a bomb(INR 95k) on a product which generally lasts for years, I am expected to shell out such a huge amount without any further guarantee within a year and month. Samsung has denied to cover this part under warranty when I asked them for it and hence I am planning to live with the product as long as it lasts, probably dump it later in a corner, forget about it as a bad memory and invest in an LG product. Investing another 30k in samsung again will not insure me from further harm and it seems like falling into a trap again.

Through my post here I just wanted to make you guys aware of what you could end up buying if you invest in a samsung product and believe me, it is really a huge amount when it actually falls on you, moreover for products like a TV which generally last for years. You never know when it'll ask for amounts like 15k/30k.

Please take this into consideration when you shortlist a samsung product, specially a plasma tv.

Happy Shopping !!
Old 3rd December 2013, 22:13   #7130
BHPian

@Fiest@DuraTec Try calling your cable operator and get a reference for a local TV mechanic and check his suggestion. It should not be as high as 30k quite you got from the company.

I fixed my LG LCD display for a fraction of cost compared to the quote I got from LG.
Old 3rd December 2013, 23:12   #7131
BHPian

Has anybody here used Toshiba TV's ?

I'm planning to buy a 40" LED (non-smart) with a budget of around 40-55k and upon inquiring at various shops, found Toshiba's latest range extremely VFM and feature rich and the standard 3 year warranty.

I'm planning to buy the 39L3300 which has been launched recently.
So far, Snapdeal has the best offer at 39.5k with an additional 1k discount till 5th dec.
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/tosh...996084?pos=0;8

The best retail price I could get was around 41k from Bajaj Electronics Madhapur however the sales guy said there's a free DVD player that is being given along with the tv and costs around 6k. Any feedback about Toshiba TV's is appreciated. Is it worth taking the risk of buying from Snapdeal ? The local service center manager mentioned that it'd be a better idea to buy it directly from the store instead of buying it online only because of better accountability on the part of dealer and immediate replacement if the TV is damaged in transit as against when ordered online since once has to go through the whole process of informing the online seller, they sending somebody to validate and pick up and then send in a new piece. If the same order was available on Flipkart or Myntra or Amazon, I would've placed an order right away.

Last edited by kaka46 : 3rd December 2013 at 23:14.
Old 4th December 2013, 10:59   #7132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
@Fiest@DuraTec Try calling your cable operator and get a reference for a local TV mechanic and check his suggestion. It should not be as high as 30k quite you got from the company.

I fixed my LG LCD display for a fraction of cost compared to the quote I got from LG.
Yes I am planning to do the same, but LCD and plasma's are totally different and during my research(a lot of it actually) I found that in case of plasma's the only way is to change the panel itself. Ain't it coming hard on me

I am just furious over how a company like samsung could be so irresponsible while making products which cost close 1L INR and they know they do have a fault in one of the parts. Had they not been aware, they would've surely offered an extended warranty like they did for LCD and LED. As far as I understand the indian market, even though we've advanced a lot, 1L for a TV is still too much and it fails in such a short span.

I really can't describe my frustration here. It is a fantastic product when it runs, I won't take that away from samsung, but the fact is you never know when it will stop running.

Last edited by Fiest@DuraTec : 4th December 2013 at 11:12.
Old 4th December 2013, 11:17   #7133
BHPian

Why dont you call the engineer directly strike a deal with him. You get an AMC / Extended warranty for the TV and log a complaint for the issue after a month so that it can be replaced under AMC.
Old 4th December 2013, 12:00   #7134
Senior - BHPian

Same thing happened to a friend of mine. He did some research on the net and then started correspondence; with all details of global failure; initially with Samsung India and later with their Korean head quarters. Ultimately after three months Samsung replaced the panl free of cost. So perseverance is the name of the game.
Old 4th December 2013, 12:22   #7135
BHPian

Thanks guys !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinukm View Post
Why dont you call the engineer directly strike a deal with him. You get an AMC / Extended warranty for the TV and log a complaint for the issue after a month so that it can be replaced under AMC.
I din get you !! I mentioned this in my post that Samsung does not offer any kind of extended warranty on their plasma tv's(while they do for LED/LCD) and you must have surely guessed the reason for it by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Same thing happened to a friend of mine. He did some research on the net and then started correspondence; with all details of global failure; initially with Samsung India and later with their Korean head quarters. Ultimately after three months Samsung replaced the panl free of cost. So perseverance is the name of the game.
I am pursuing the same and pushing them hard. Also take a look at what I found :

http://www.samsung.com/us/dlptvsettlement/index.html

This is indeed a manufacturing defect which was proved in the US and Samsung agreed to pay for it. We better get some strong consumer rights here in India. I am not going to leave these people so easily, I worked hard for that money.
Old 4th December 2013, 12:39   #7136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiest@DuraTec View Post
Thanks guys !!

I din get you !! I mentioned this in my post that Samsung does not offer any kind of extended warranty on their plasma tv's(while they do for LED/LCD) and you must have surely guessed the reason for it by now.

Sorry Missed it. I understand why they dont offer Warranty.

Between I have a LG Plasma TV and they offered me 3 year additional warranty for 19K which was almost 40% of the TV cost at the time of purchase. Though I felt it expensive I went for it. But the TV has been working absolutely fine without any issue for 5 years now.
Old 4th December 2013, 12:43   #7137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinukm View Post
Sorry Missed it. I understand why they dont offer Warranty.

Between I have a LG Plasma TV and they offered me 3 year additional warranty for 19K which was almost 40% of the TV cost at the time of purchase. Though I felt it expensive I went for it. But the TV has been working absolutely fine without any issue for 5 years now.
Right atleast you had a peace of mind after spending that kind of money. We also have a 14 yr old CRT and 6 yr old LCD, both from LG. We never had to call the customer care yet !!
Old 4th December 2013, 12:54   #7138
Senior - BHPian

A BIG thanks for starting this thread, I used to follow it closely when I needed to get a TV last August,

(Btw, for 50grand, I'd got:
42" Panasonic Plasma 3D (42XT50D)
Panasonic Music System (1000W rms output - XH170)
Tata Sky HD (With 3 months HD Subscription)
3 - Active 3D glasses)

So guys, whenever I play movies in .mkv format, the Video pauses ALOT whilst the audio continues. I guess maybe the processor(?) cannot cope up. Couldn't find a way to un-install the apps too.

Any idea what I can do?
Old 4th December 2013, 17:22   #7139
BHPian

Planning to buy a 32" TV, primarily for watching Netflix (and some cable). Can anyone of you please suggest a good model? In future I plan to connect PS3 as well. I am confused by the wide array of choices available. Any stock answers?
Old 4th December 2013, 17:49   #7140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiest@DuraTec View Post
Right atleast you had a peace of mind after spending that kind of money. We also have a 14 yr old CRT and 6 yr old LCD, both from LG. We never had to call the customer care yet !!
I think bigger TV's are more prone to failure. But please persist in getting the panel replaced from Samsung. Write to their CEO, put it on FB, Twitter etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
So guys, whenever I play movies in .mkv format, the Video pauses ALOT whilst the audio continues. I guess maybe the processor(?) cannot cope up. Couldn't find a way to un-install the apps too.
Are you playing from pen drive? Try changing to a newer pendrive or a hard disk if possible.
There is a concept of profiles and I think the TV may not support beyond a certain profile.
http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3...KV-profile-4-1

Try to convert the movie to a lower profile on your computer and try again to see if that helps.

Your best option is to buy a media player or Raspberry Pi (if you have some time to tinker around).
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks