Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2014, 15:26   #7546
BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Finally got my Samsung F8500 64 inch Plasma yesterday. It's massive for sure but definitely doles out the viewing pleasure I was seeking. Now its time to dwell into the sound system. Can anyone suggest me what home theater systems should I look at. I am not very keen on a massive setup but something simple which does the job. Is looking at a soundbar options worth it?

Thanks in advance for all the suggestions.

Last edited by abs182 : 22nd August 2014 at 15:30.
Old 22nd August 2014, 16:50   #7547
BHPian

Samsung Plasma F5500 service

I have this Samsung F5500, 51 inch plasma TV bought last year. While going through this thread and other online forums, I realized that buying an extended warranty is a must. So before expiry of the original 1 year warranty, I bought 2 years extended warranty for about 6600 rupees. I was hoping I'd not need to use it.

Exactly 15 days after my TV celebrated it's first birthday, a vertical line started showing up on the panel. Tried with different sources but the line stayed. So immediately reported it to Samsung.

The service experience was excellent. Within 2 days an engineer visited to check the TV. He agreed that it is a panel defect and the panel needs to be replaced. He said I made a very good decision by buying the extended warranty. He reported his findings back and in about 4/5 days time, a new panel was delivered to my home which was followed by a visit from service engineer the next day. In spite of it being 15th Aug holiday, he came as I said I am out of town after 15th for next 2/3 days. Replacing the panel was half an hour job. He did it and packed the old panel in carton box that came with the new panel. It was collected by their transport guy after 2 days.

Just wanted to highlight that buying extended warranty is a must with all these new age TVs. And after reading horror stories with Panasonic Plasma replacements, the service from Samsung was a pleasant experience.
Old 22nd August 2014, 17:59   #7548
Senior - BHPian

@Shipnil - what was the original cost of the TV and how much that panel costs if you didn't have the warranty?
Old 22nd August 2014, 18:41   #7549
Senior - BHPian

that particular panel costs approx 40k
Old 22nd August 2014, 19:53   #7550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
@Shipnil - what was the original cost of the TV and how much that panel costs if you didn't have the warranty?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
that particular panel costs approx 40k
No idea about the panel price but original TV cost was 68,000. Other than the panel there was hardly anything inside. May be couple of speakers and one PCB. That's it.
Old 23rd August 2014, 15:21   #7551
BHPian

Hi everyone,

Parents want a new TV, to replace my lovely working 14 year old 29'' Thompson RCA Color Track. This working TV, can still, give a tough fight to new digital ones. In all its life it took one screen and two months back a new Toshiba board only.

Now I only want a Sharp and only 39'' coz cavity width is 35''.

Found one on Snapdeal at 30 K Sharp website says no warranty for products sold via Snapdeal.

Searched Amazon Global eligible, and found one NTSC 110v

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Total at home Price in India for this by Amazon is 552 USD/INR 35,524.58,
(Break up is price 300, Shipping and Handling 122, Import fee deposit is 131)

Want to add a Pyle Sound bar which is global eligible.

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PSBV200BT..._cd_ql_qh_dp_t

Total at home Price for this in India by Amazon is 115/ INR 15,793.78
(Break up is price 115 USD, Shipping and Handling 73 USD, Import fee deposit is 58USD)

Will be using a HD recorder set top preferably VideoconD2H so HDMI will cover NTSC/Pal issue, and we hardly watch movie to use a plug in CD player for any NTSC issue, and CD photos will get transferred to card for reading.

Step down adapters needed, Locally sold big one fuse type I heard are noisy and are so big.
I so badly want this ACUPWR link below as its sleek and come with life long warranty and also no burning issue ever, but not sure of humming noise.

Amazon declines to ship it as not global eligible

http://www.amazon.com/ACUPWR-ADP-100.../dp/B00AQN51UA

Way out is Ship to, but not registered yet, still undecided.

I have not pulled the Trigger as they Amazon is not shipping this ACUPWR, seriously.

I will not get any warranty on above products but Amazon will help if any thing goes wrong.

Advise I need,

1) Is it a good deal.
2)Any thing which I may have left out.
3) For Step down calculation TV will need max watt 55 and 45 watt for Pyle (18 v at 2.5) Total 100 watt and ACUPWR is specific that one does not need to buy 3 times or 4 times the maximum wattage, just equal to maximum wattage.
4) I narrowed the Pyle sound bar as in future I will use it as a Car system using a car inverter (controlling/playing via blue tooth/ USB wifi dongle and phone) Please advise on what wattage Car inverter I will require and ways to procure it inexpensively.

Thanks for your time and sorry for data overload.
Old 24th August 2014, 12:57   #7552
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys,

I got to tell you, 'Vu' tvs might be looked down upon by the videophiles, but it's not a bad option at all. Was out shopping with my brother and was walking by the Vu showroom at Phoenix. Since F1 qualifying was going on, we stepped right in and grabbed a seat .

The picture quality was very good for the price. In fact, it's an absolute steal. 50" for 50K, 55" for 60K only!!! Extended warranty (total coverage for 3 years) costs 10% of the TV"s price. Considering the retail tie-up with Croma (Tata group) and service backup by Zenith computers, it's definitely not a fly-by-night operator.

Of course, the Sony & Panasonic TVs offer about 30% better PQ (to my amateur eyes). They cost a whole lot more though. For maximum bang for the buck, the Vu it is.

For my primary house, I'll stick with Sony or Panasonic (didn't like Samsung LEDs). But for a spare tv in the bedroom or the Deolali holiday home, I won't hesitate before picking up a Vu.
Old 24th August 2014, 16:02   #7553
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
For my primary house, I'll stick with Sony or Panasonic (didn't like Samsung LEDs). But for a spare tv in the bedroom or the Deolali holiday home, I won't hesitate before picking up a Vu.
And this is exactly what I have done too. Panasonic Plasma as primary and VU LED in Bedroom.
I first witnessed VU when my cousin was using it was a monitor for his Jazzy desktop in Rajkot. The quality was indeed exceptional for a brand quite unheard of in India.
Back to Bangalore and I quickly picked one for my Bedroom.
Realised later that Croma sells VUs at almost 20% lesser price than VU by branding it as Croma. When the salesman showed me a Croma, I rejected thinking its another Chinese brand labelled for Croma.

Overall, Thumbs up for VU and the VFM tag that if offers!
Old 24th August 2014, 22:10   #7554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
Hi everyone,

1) Is it a good deal.

2)Any thing which I may have left out.

3) For Step down calculation TV will need max watt 55 and 45 watt for Pyle (18 v at 2.5) Total 100 watt and ACUPWR is specific that one does not need to buy 3 times or 4 times the maximum wattage, just equal to maximum wattage.

4) I narrowed the Pyle sound bar as in future I will use it as a Car system using a car inverter (controlling/playing via blue tooth/ USB wifi dongle and phone) Please advise on what wattage Car inverter I will require and ways to procure it inexpensively.

Thanks for your time and sorry for data overload.

You can get good step down inverters from Shah/Maxine in Chennai. They are good and I get no hum. I have a toroidal 1 kva for a 500w Yamaha receiver but I also have a power conditioner in between that refines the sine wave and stabilizes it.

I probably will try to source a tv in the grey market than take the trouble to global ship. Even if you global ship it may still get stuck at customs, I think, just double check that.

The acupwr may be accurate but it is still wiser to go 20% higher capacity to be safe. These behave differently under lower voltages or high voltages which is common here.

Pyle is not that good a brand and I have a LCD for my car from them. Colors are not that great but in my 8 years since I got it, have used it maybe only 5 times...

If you are global shopping look at the Bose Cinemate Series II. It's great and simple to use. The older model is about 475$ and the newer one is 650$ after taxes. I have the older and got the newer for a friend on a recent trip. Amazing sound and easy to use. Perfect for a family room.

Car inverter didn't work too well for me. I had bought a 200w one for a fax machine that would only work on a 60hz power cycle and to make that work in India I purchased this inverter from the US but it never did work out. Still have the fax sitting in a corner and the inverter too... Purchased them in 1999...
Old 24th August 2014, 22:27   #7555
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Finally got my Samsung F8500 64 inch Plasma yesterday. It's massive for sure but definitely doles out the viewing pleasure I was seeking.
Congrats , Can you share prices and what other options did you checked . I am Panasonic user since years and was looking for ST 60 / 65 but could not find anywhere in Delhi - NCR . Sony 4 K - 65 Inch is 3 ,15 lac which looks little steep . Sales guy was also referring to some new model from Panasonic in 60 inch which will be under 2 Lac - any ideas

Quote:
Now its time to dwell into the sound system. Can anyone suggest me what home theater systems should I look at
If you want to keep simple - nothing beats

CineMate™ GS Series II digital home theatre speaker system from BOSE

https://www.boseindia.com/category/2...atre-systems1/

Last edited by Turbanator : 24th August 2014 at 22:44.
Old 25th August 2014, 03:59   #7556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
You ..

Hi Diyguy,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

First the TV,
I have less scope of grey in my city.
Amazon price includes Import Fees Deposit and if actual import fee is more, Amazon foots it, not the buyer. And if Import Fees Deposit is less than they credit it back to buyer.
Source : http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=201117970

Yes Bose is the best.

Pyle sound box is mainly for Car, agree regarding the brand, all reviews have mentioned it being loud - my priority with no wires and BT/USB.

The sound box has an adapter of 110v 60 hz in and 18 v 2.5a out.

My plan was to buy a similar output laptop adapter one using 220v for home, or an Inverter for car.

One question did your fax machine have an adapter or a direct plug.

Thanks Mate.
Old 25th August 2014, 07:22   #7557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
Hi Diyguy,

One question did your fax machine have an adapter or a direct plug.

Thanks Mate.
It had a direct plug.

Which city are you in? If close to chennai, it maybe worthwhile coming down and buying here...
Old 25th August 2014, 09:30   #7558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
It had a direct plug.

Which city are you in? If close to chennai, it maybe worthwhile coming down and buying here...
Thanks mate, Nashik,
Hera Panna in Mumbai is also an option for grey, little tricky, as never experienced.

I will still prefer Amazon for support,
at least I can get a replacement minus earlier shipping cost.
Old 25th August 2014, 11:03   #7559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Congrats , Can you share prices and what other options did you checked .

CineMate™ GS Series II digital home theatre speaker system from BOSE

https://www.boseindia.com/category/2...atre-systems1/
I finally got the TV for 1.90 lacs. I too am a satisfied Panansonic plasma user but unfortunately the dealer was very forthcoming in explaining to me that the company isn't shipping them any new Plasmas and the one he had for 50 inch was a display piece. He didn't mention any new launch of a 60 inch plasma by panasonic. Apart from that I didn't bother searching once the Samsung dealer confirmed that he'd be able to deliver the TV on a firm order.

Also thanks for the Bose suggestion. I'll surely check it out. Any other option comes to the mind?
Old 25th August 2014, 11:44   #7560
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
He didn't mention any new launch of a 60 inch plasma by panasonic
my bad , dealer here was referring to LED . Panasonic has discontinued Plasma's in most of markets .

Quote:
Any other option comes to the mind?
depends on budget & your listening preferences , there are more options in 5 + channels but for 2 channel I can think only for this model which I use in more than 1 locations and can recommend without any hesitation.

Most Viewed