Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2020, 05:06   #9646
BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Any pointers to a reputed TV repair facility in Secunderabad?

My parents old LG led TV died and needs to be fixed. They're in no mood to buy new.
Old 25th October 2020, 11:05   #9647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
My parents old LG led TV died and needs to be fixed. They're in no mood to buy new.
Call Lg support, they will come home and do it. My lg tv had to have the main board replaced and did it through them 4 years back and going strong so far.
Old 25th October 2020, 12:18   #9648
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Visiting this thread for the first time! Has anyone bought a 20 or 24 inch TV recently? If so, can anyone recommend a particular brand or model, from what I can see most of the better ones start from 32 inches. Viewing distance is just about 6 feet. We currently have a 20yr LG CRT tv which we bought from Dubai 20yrs ago. Its been repaired twice in the last 18 months. Now its stopped working again. My parents seem to prefer repairing it than buying these new LED tv's. I assume in the sizes mentioned I probably won't get a smart tv.
Old 25th October 2020, 15:34   #9649
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Visiting this thread for the first time! Has anyone bought a 20 or 24 inch TV recently? If so, can anyone recommend a particular brand or model, from what I can see most of the better ones start from 32 inches. Viewing distance is just about 6 feet. We currently have a 20yr LG CRT tv which we bought from Dubai 20yrs ago. Its been repaired twice in the last 18 months. Now its stopped working again. My parents seem to prefer repairing it than buying these new LED tv's. I assume in the sizes mentioned I probably won't get a smart tv.
I was also looking out recently. Looks like no good options below 32 inches. I finally bought the below LG 32 inch model. After cashback etc during the sale, got it for just 13,000, a HD ready smart TV. Guess lower sizes no longer make sense for the main manufacturers.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08DPLCM6T/..._9QgJFbF2GJF4X
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 16:58   #9650
BHPian

India's first 8k QLED TV from TCL is out. Check below

https://www.tcl.com/in/en/products/x915/x915-75.html
Old 25th October 2020, 18:10   #9651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Call Lg support, they will come home and do it. My lg tv had to have the main board replaced and did it through them 4 years back and going strong so far.
Interesting!

What was your issue and how much did you end up paying, if you don't mind telling?
Old 25th October 2020, 18:18   #9652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
InterestingWhat was your issue and how much did you end up paying, if you don't mind telling?
My tv wouldn't turn on, it would show a red light like when your power it off with the remote. I paid 8k for the board including the service visit charges.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 18:28   #9653
BHPian

Quote:
Visiting this thread for the first time! Has anyone bought a 20 or 24 inch TV recently? If so, can anyone recommend a particular brand or model,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I was also looking out recently. Looks like no good options below 32 inches.
Instead of a TV, I would recommend buying a monitor for this size range.

I use dual screen BenQ GW2480 24-inch (60.5 cm) Eye Care Monitor for my Desktop, and it's an excellent multi-purpose equipment.

Just hook up an Android Box or a Chromecast / FireTV Stick, and you're all set.

This solution is practically viable till 32", after which it gets expensive.
Old 25th October 2020, 23:49   #9654
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I finally bought the below LG 32 inch model. After cashback etc during the sale, got it for just 13,000, a HD ready smart TV.
Thats a brilliant deal for 13k. It would be an overkill for my family due to the viewing distance. Finally our tv mechanic replaced the part (power supply issue+something else) for 1.5k & now the CRT is rolling again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Instead of a TV, I would recommend buying a monitor for this size range.
My parents primarily view cable channels. Does it work on a cable connection?
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 00:34   #9655
BHPian

Quote:
My parents primarily view cable channels. Does it work on a cable connection?
You can feed any source that has HDMI or Display port, and it would work.

HD set top box, Android box, Chromecast, FireTV stick - all have HDMI inputs.

From personal experience - such monitors are prone to less failures compared to pure televisions (non CRT)

Last edited by Safety is Param : 26th October 2020 at 00:37.
Safety is Param is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 04:42   #9656
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2001 View Post
India's first 8k QLED TV from TCL is out. Check below

https://www.tcl.com/in/en/products/x915/x915-75.html
Lulz, who will spend 3 lakhs on a TCL?
Oxy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 12:15   #9657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
First of all a 20" CRT has an aspect ratio of 3:4, while modern LCD TV is 9:16. So for the same height (12" for 20" diagonal) you will need a TV with longer diagonal ~ 24" to match 20" CRT and 30" to match 24" CRT for height. Hence a 32" HD screen is the best option.

That said, it will be better to get a 4K Android TV, which are slightly bigger (43") but have all apps built in, so streaming is much easier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_size

Last edited by Aroy : 26th October 2020 at 12:17.
Old 26th October 2020, 21:21   #9658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibedk View Post
Consider getting a 4K TV. Amazon, Netflix have enough content. Most new movies & series are being shot on 4 K. Youtube has tons of 4K content. The landscape will change drastically. Don't holdback for 6-8 K.

Even we upgraded our TV recently to a 4K OLED TV. Don't regret it even one bit every time I see 4K in all its glory. Nothing less than a theatre experience.

Unless there are financial constraints go for a 4K TV. Full HD of today is like HD ready of yesteryears.
Thanks nibedk picked up a LG43 UN7300 model, yes you are right about 4k, starting to enjoy watching.
Old 27th October 2020, 19:33   #9659
Team-BHP Support

My Samsung 40" LCD (model LA40C630, S-PVA panel) crossed 10 years this October. Zero complaints to this day! It has seen 2 generations of consoles - X360, PS3 and the PS4, several titles, movies and almost no DTH (had a Tata Sky connection temporarily when parents visited). I tried checking the usage hours by going into the service menu but couldn't find the option. The thick bezel/frame is the only downer in today's frameless TV era. It was never plugged to a voltage stabiliser/UPS; direct to the mains. Guess I've been lucky!

I almost bit a deal on a 55" 4K display sometime back during an Amazon sale, better sense prevailed (Amazon's buyback price was a joke!) and I cancelled the order. And this was one of those new entrants to the market - I forget the manufacturer's name now. I decided to get a new display only after this unit fails and would most likely be another Samsung.
Old 28th October 2020, 21:20   #9660
BHPian

I ended up buying LG 65 in UN7300 LED 4K TV yesterday. However the key issues that I am facing include - No Zee 5 and Voot Apps in latest webOS 5.0, even though they are listed online on LG's content store
Zee5 confirmed on Twitter that they are working on the issue and no updates from Voot. The sad part is that LG is strangely quiet.
LG sent a txt that Netflix will be available for 3 months free; however, I am still trying to reach out to the engineer who installed the tv to help me take advantage of this deal ... Not sure why it cannot be Self service with a coupon code ...
LG really needs to get its act together here ...
The UI is quite a pain and does not lend itself to a lot of customization. Clunky is how I would describe it.
Will wait a while before I call out my review on the TV itsef
So far the picture quality and magic remote has been quite good and nothing to complain
INNOVATOR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks