Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2019, 09:27   #7456
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Hi, I am using a Panasonic Inverter fridge in the UAE for 4 years now. There are zero power cuts so it works like regular fridge, no issues. Power bill is definitely lower!. I have read that for the inverter to work efficiently there needs to be no power cuts so is it suitable for India?. Not even for UPS transition. So do think it over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Guys, Has anyone here got/used/has experience with an Inverter fridge? Any issues with the same?I am planning to buy a Samsung 415L 4 star Frost Free Inverter fridge but am a bit concerned about the durability of the same.
With Inverter A.C's there is a lot of talk about the main Inverter PCB failing
Old 14th December 2019, 09:58   #7457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Your post has me confused. Are you expecting a fridge with an inverter built in? Or one that is compatible with inverters?
AFAIK, the word "inverter" when used context of refrigerators and a/c (washing .machines too) refers to some kind of motor or compressor technology that reduces power consumption.

If you have power failures, and if finances allow, go for an off-grid /hybrid solar power system. "Inverter technology" appliances wont save power supply issues.
If your query is regarding reliability of that model of fridge, I haven't answered your query.

Is this the model:-

Samsung 415 L 4 Star Inverter Frost Free Double Door Refrigerator(RT42M553ES8/TL, Elegant Inox, Convertible) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B06XDKJFXN/..._hsf9DbQB2EJE0
Hi "BackSeat Driver".

Guess I should have been more specific. Apologies for that.

I was referring to a fridge which could run on an Inverter i.e. when the power supply fails and my Inverter (already fitted) cuts in. So, basically a fridge that is compatible with Inverter's. I am not bothered about the power saving issue. My bill for 35 days with just the fridge running is only Rs. 300 so that is not a concern. I just want a fridge which is "On" all the time.

Confirm the model number is the same as you listed above.

"Ithaca" and "Sebring" - Thanks for your inputs.
Seeing as how you both have bought an Inverter fridge when you both live in areas which do not suffer from power failures, I guess you bought it to save on your power bills?

Regards,
SS
Old 14th December 2019, 11:28   #7458
BANNED

For running g a fridge on an inverter, ease look at the specifications of the inverter. It should give sine wave output. Most current inverters do. And look at detailed specifications of the fridge, to check if it wi survive on a "modified square wave" power.
The dividing line between a UPS and an Inverter used to be the output wave form, (plus changeover time - faster in UPS) and that is blurring.

A "digital inverter" fridge / air con / washing machine does not mean that it is compatible with inverters.

What is to be looked at here is peak / surge / instantaneous power drawn by the appliance (usually at power on and every time the motor starts) and ind if the inverter is capable of supplying it.

I have two Samsung fridges, both have this inverter stickers. Both are in 215 or 235 L capacity range. One is at home, and is on a solar power supply. This 8 years or so old. Other at the apartment, is around 6 years old, and has no backup.

What I recall is that the "inverter motor" does not switch off, it just slows down. Now, dont ask me what is being inverted or how a motor which runs continuously consumes less power than a conventional motor which shuts down when instructed by the2 thermostat.
Old 14th December 2019, 12:15   #7459
BHPian

Theoretically the inverter fridge should be able to run on DC. Somewhere in the power supply the AC from the mains is converted to DC and back again to a modified AC (with appropriate characteristics such as frequency etc, different from the mains AC) to run the motor at varying speeds.

The problem now would be to get the manufacturer to provide the input point for the DC power and provide the specifications for the DC power.

Sometimes I wish we had absorption refrigerators running on heat, unfortunately India and its problems do not concern the big multinationals.
Old 14th December 2019, 14:39   #7460
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
The problem now would be to get the manufacturer to provide the input point for the DC power and provide the specifications for the DC power.
I think such fridges are available, and able to run from a solar panel. I don't know if that is run on full power, or just as a backup to increase the power-cut cool time.

I think I remember Samsung as a supplier? But when I was fridge shopping, it seemed to be just a footnote without much explanation as to actual use.
Old 14th December 2019, 15:15   #7461
BHPian

Quote:
I was referring to a fridge which could run on an Inverter i.e. when the power supply fails and my Inverter (already fitted) cuts in. So, basically a fridge that is compatible with Inverter's.
Before you connect your inverter line to your fridge, please check the VA rating of your UPS ( Inveter). AFAIK, Fridge , AC are all excluded from the UPS wiring. At least that's how its done in mine. It is still possible to connect the fridge to the UPS however it should be a "large" enough UPS. Approx power consumption of the compressor is around 3 KWh / day (3units).

Last edited by srini1785 : 14th December 2019 at 15:17.
Old 14th December 2019, 15:58   #7462
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't think my inverter has DC output (except to batteries of course). Anyway it would be fairly major to run a cable for that.

Fridges keep their cool during sorry power cuts anyway. Try to make sure they are kept full. If not, full up with bottles of water or something.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 14th December 2019 at 16:00.
Old 14th December 2019, 17:59   #7463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
It is still possible to connect the fridge to the UPS however it should be a "large" enough UPS. Approx power consumption of the compressor is around 3 KWh / day (3units).
What is important is the power / current the fridge draws while running, not per day consumption. If not an inverter fridge, then starting current is important to know. It is difficult to find power drawn in the tech specs these days. If we assume 300 (?) watt for an inverter fridge. Then 800 VA inverter should be sufficient, depending on other power consuming appliances. Now how long it can run on this inverter depends on the capacity of the battery connected to the inverter. 300 Ah should be a good starting point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I don't think my inverter has DC output (except to batteries of course). Anyway it would be fairly major to run a cable for that.
It converts DC current of battery to AC. That's inverter for you and me.
Old 14th December 2019, 23:52   #7464
Distinguished - BHPian

The question, as I understood it, was about a fridge with a DC input, not a fridge that could run off converted dc-ac.

As I mentioned, I think I have heard of such fridges. I have also heard of inverters with a DC output thus avoiding having to convert the dc back to ac. It might be, though, that they were solar inverters, which have a dc input.
Old 15th December 2019, 12:06   #7465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The question, as I understood it, was about a fridge with a DC input, not a fridge that could run off converted dc-ac.

As I mentioned, I think I have heard of such fridges. I have also heard of inverters with a DC output thus avoiding having to convert the dc back to ac. It might be, though, that they were solar inverters, which have a dc input.
Unless the output voltage is that of the batteries, the inverter will have to convert DC (battery) to AC, step it up and then convert it to DC. This is how DC-DC converters work.

I hope that soon we may have "Inverter" appliances that will have an input for DC, but the voltage will be the crucial factor. If it requires say, 48V then you have 4 batteries in series. Direct DC input will improve the efficiency of the appliance by reducing one step of AC-DC conversion.
Old 16th December 2019, 16:55   #7466

Is anyone using Mi air purifiers 3 or 2c? I primarily need one for indoor cigarette smoke and pet hair. Any reviews/feedback based on effectiveness, availability of filters, running cost would be very helpful.

-Souvik
Old 17th December 2019, 12:52   #7467
BHPian

Quote:
Hi "BackSeat Driver".

Guess I should have been more specific. Apologies for that.

I was referring to a fridge which could run on an Inverter i.e. when the power supply fails and my Inverter (already fitted) cuts in. So, basically a fridge that is compatible with Inverter's. I am not bothered about the power saving issue. My bill for 35 days with just the fridge running is only Rs. 300 so that is not a concern. I just want a fridge which is "On" all the time.

Confirm the model number is the same as you listed above.

"Ithaca" and "Sebring" - Thanks for your inputs.
Seeing as how you both have bought an Inverter fridge when you both live in areas which do not suffer from power failures, I guess you bought it to save on your power bills?

Regards,
SS
Hi Guys,

Looks like I did not make myself clear in my original post so, here goes...

1. I have a 1.2Kva Inverter with 4 batteries already set up in my home in Goa. The output from the Inverter is 220V.

2. Due to frequent power cuts, we are forced to keep the fridge door shut as much as possible to keep the cooling inside.

3. I would now like to buy an Inverter fridge which can run off the above mentioned Inverter during power cuts so we don't have to worry about defrosting and food going bad. A friend of mine in Goa is doing this with an LG fridge. I plan to buy a Samsung. The sticker on the door of the fridge I plan to buy is attached.

4. Can anyone advise if this plan is feasible.

Many Thanks & Regards,
SS
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-fridge-sticker.jpg  

Old 17th December 2019, 13:38   #7468
BANNED

Quote:
I would now like to buy an Inverter fridge which can run off the above mentioned Inverter during power cuts
You don't need a special fridge. You just need an inverter which can take the load of the fridge starting up. Long back, when I was buying an inverter, I had discussed this with the Inverter guy who had come to my home to size my inverter needs. As per him, once a fridge is already running, it will run quite well off any inverter which takes the rest of the home load. The only problem is the starting up of the fridge when there is a rather high load. He had calculated and told me what inverter I have to buy in order to handle that also. However, at that time, I had decided to go just with a lower sizing inverter because I used to have power cuts only for an hour or two.
Old 17th December 2019, 13:42   #7469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suavesouvik View Post
Is anyone using Mi air purifiers 3 or 2c? I primarily need one for indoor cigarette smoke and pet hair. Any reviews/feedback based on effectiveness, availability of filters, running cost would be very helpful.

-Souvik
I was recently looking into one for parents.

My candidates were Mi and Smart Air Squair. The Squair is around 7800 rupees.

Both of them will basically do the job, but the Squair is ultra-simple. You turn it on and it filters, and you turn it off and it stops filtering.

1. The Mi 2S (now Mi 3) will tell you the AQI and you can watch the AQI improving. Would not recommend Mi 2C as it is cheap/has QC issues.

2. 2S/3 have all the smart gizmo features - pairing with app, auto shutoff etc.

3. There were some issues with the older 2S's AQI sensors. Reliable AQI sensors are expensive, and the Mi ones are not all that accurate. Previously there was an issue with the sensors forcing a cutoff even when the air was not sufficiently clean, but this is a third order concern, and I believe that the sensor has been somewhat improved, and there are modes that don't force a cutoff.

4. Mi 2S/3 have an activated carbon filter in addition to HEPA. This is not a requirement for most people, as activated carbon mostly filters in fumes/smells if you have any. But it's still a good to have feature.

5. The filters on 2S/3 are proprietary, and occasionally out of stock. They're also more expensive at 2500, available for 2100, as opposed to Squair's 1500.

6. The Mi purifier also comes with an RFID chip that prevents you from using equivalent third-party filters, I think. But there may be ways around that.

7. The Squair filter is a standard rectangular HEPA filter. If you can find a replacement filter of similar dimensions, it'll work just fine.

Ultimately I went with the Squair because of the simplicity and ease of use (especially with parents), and because Mi replacement parts were out of stock, but YMMV.
Old 17th December 2019, 15:23   #7470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Looks like I did not make myself clear in my original post so, here goes...

1. I have a 1.2Kva Inverter with 4 batteries already set up in my home in Goa. The output from the Inverter is 220V.

2. Due to frequent power cuts, we are forced to keep the fridge door shut as much as possible to keep the cooling inside.

3. I would now like to buy an Inverter fridge which can run off the above mentioned Inverter during power cuts so we don't have to worry about defrosting and food going bad. A friend of mine in Goa is doing this with an LG fridge. I plan to buy a Samsung. The sticker on the door of the fridge I plan to buy is attached.

4. Can anyone advise if this plan is feasible.

Many Thanks & Regards,
SS
I have measured the starting current of my Inverter 2T AC, and I think a refrigerator will follow the same pattern.

The AC starts with less than 2 amps and slowly over next ten minutes increases the current till it reaches a maximum of 10 amps. I the refrigerator is rated at 3 amps.
Here is a copy paste from LG T432FPZU (437L) refrigerator

Inverter-On feature (Optional)/
Minimum Requirement: UPS / Inverter should
be in ON condition having minimum 600 VA
capacity along with minimum 120Ah capacity
battery connected with the refrigerator’s power
supply socket.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks