Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2019, 18:41   #7426
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Btw, I am looking for a full set of the old round bakelite switches and sockets. Had seen some on eBay UK
I think those would date back to 1950s. Maybe 60s. I did live in a house that still had all such original fittings in 1980s. I had a boxful of that stuff: if only you'd you'd asked me 25 years ago!

I don't know if bakelite was replaced by more modern plastics even before UK moved to the current switch/socket standard.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 3rd November 2019 at 18:42.
Old 3rd November 2019, 21:11   #7427
Senior - BHPian

You'll find it in Sunday Flea Market (near KR Market).
Quote:
:( .. nope, pretty much gone. We may get the boxes, but the face-plates are rare now. Btw, I am looking for a full set of the old round bakelite switches and sockets. Had seen some on eBay UK
Old 4th November 2019, 07:50   #7428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
We have some original Panasonic ceiling fans. These are made in japan, Using comfortably for 5 years now. Long, wide blades - so the air throw is just awesome.

I'd be interested in knowing where you sourced them from, thanks. I don't know where the Panasonic fans sold in India are made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
So no more wooden boxes with customised front plates? A whole piece of Indian culture gone!
Quote:
:( .. nope, pretty much gone. We may get the boxes, but the face-plates are rare now.

Actually both such wooden boxes and their face-plates (in some standard sizes too, surprisingly!) are still very much available with small-time suppliers! Only a month-or-so back I had replaced a couple of 16A switches and their fuse boxes along with the face-plate on the existing wooden box underneath (which didn't need to be replaced, but was available if needed). Only the face-plates (2-3 mm thick) are not made of wood any more, but some kind of composite material that need to be custom-cut by machine to accomodate the switches and such. I expect these face-plates to be available as long as the wooden boxes are (it would make no sense otherwise).

Individual 'Anchor' switches to go on such boxes were available, but considering their current quality, I decided to go with some other brand. One of the fuse boxes ('Anchor') I had to replace was put together with rivets on some cheap plastic which broke loose! The old 16A switches (not 'Anchor') were of good quality, and still fine, but their own plastic face-plates broke while taking off the wooden face-plate on the wooden box underneath, and so had to be replaced for no other reason by new switches (likely of inferior quality)!
Old 4th November 2019, 08:11   #7429
Senior - BHPian

I have sourced the fans from Dubai. Regarding Anchor Roma switches, their USP has always been that they're cheap. We got a lot of things replaced recently for a princely sum of 600 bucks, (you can do the work yourself, its so easy - everything just clicks and locks in place) and the spares are available with every electrician. So its more of a 'use-n-throw', as I saw it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
I'd be interested in knowing where you sourced them from, thanks. I don't know where the Panasonic fans sold in India are made.
Old 4th November 2019, 10:12   #7430
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Regarding Anchor Roma switches, their USP has always been that they're cheap.

Check out Alme/Alemac brand - it's very commonly available in Bombay - don't know about other places. Their prices aren't much different from Roma but they last much longer & also they fit into Roma boards. Every time, one of my Roma switch goes bad, I replace it with an Alme/Alemac one.
Old 5th November 2019, 10:37   #7431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post

Disclaimer : This is an unbiased opinion even though I'm the importer for Panasonic Dental products now after they were bought over by the Jap company I work with. They have a very nice and interesting product that none of the other companies in this saturated field do.
Any idea where I can find spare nozzles for the Panasonic water flosser DJ10?

TIA
Old 5th November 2019, 13:37   #7432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Any idea where I can find spare nozzles for the Panasonic water flosser DJ10?

TIA
Hi, sorry I should have clarified. I'm dealing with Panasonic's technical dental lineup. The consumer products such as water flosser are still handled by the normal channels. So depending on where you purchased it you would have to get it through Amazon US for something
Old 12th November 2019, 21:30   #7433
BHPian

The Air Purifier thread

Hello,
In the past month, pollution levels across India have risen to extremely toxic levels, which in turn causes respiratory problems and in general, discomfort. Currently, the only plausible solution we have come up with is to use air purifiers in our homes which have taken the market by storm. With an increasing number of new products coming up, and with the pollution levels on the rise, making an informed choice is essential, hence, I thought air purifiers deserve a separate thread here in which we can discuss about the air purifiers available at various price ranges and BHPians can share their experiences with purifiers if they already own them and help us decide. Currently there are certain purifiers available at mid range prices which are proven to be effective, from brands such as Philips and Honeywell. There are also local startups making purifiers available at a cheaper price, however they have not proved themselves just yet. There is also the high end purifier market which is ruled by Dyson, who started the purifier revolution in the first place, with a few high end products available from Samsung and Philips as well. Please feel free to share your thoughts and experiences!
Old 13th November 2019, 06:14   #7434
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Air Purifier thread

You forget the best of them all, the Sharp Plasmacluster. The first time I used it, I really felt I was breathing mountain air. Yeah life is indeed tough in the metros without it, these days - too much construction dust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus1134 View Post
proven to be effective, from brands such as Philips and Honeywell. There are also local startups making purifiers available at a cheaper price, however they have not proved themselves just yet. There is also the high end purifier market which is ruled by Dyson, who started the purifier revolution in the first place, with a few high end products available from Samsung and Philips as well. Please feel free to share your thoughts and experiences!
Old 13th November 2019, 08:13   #7435
Distinguished - BHPian

One of the door shelves broke on my Samsung side-by-side fridge yesterday. I have repaired it with Kwikfix but doubt it will hold. Contacting Samsung today to check availability but has anyone bought any OEM or aftermarket ones in BLR?

There is a code embossed on the shelf and Google is directing me towards a French shelf manufacturer called Brelect (http://www.brelect.fr/) who are OEM suppliers to a zillion home appliance brands!

Fridge model number: https://www.samsung.com/in/support/m...S21HSTPN1/XTL/
Shelf:
Old 14th November 2019, 15:30   #7436
Senior - BHPian

Folks, need recommendations for an Air Purifier. I shortlisted the following models:

1. Mi Air Purifier 3 : <10 K
2. TruSens Z-2000 Air Purifier : 17K
3. Philips AC2887/20 Air purifier : 16.5K

I also looked at another brand called Dyson which is priced much higher. Is there any other model I need to consider? Please advise which of these would you recommend. (would prefer a model which provides the PM 2.5 reading as well so we know its working)
Old 14th November 2019, 16:22   #7437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Folks, need recommendations for an Air Purifier. I shortlisted the following models:

I also looked at another brand called Dyson which is priced much higher. Is there any other model I need to consider? Please advise which of these would you recommend. (would prefer a model which provides the PM 2.5 reading as well so we know its working)

My bet is on Coway and Truesens.

Spoke with customer care of both brands and Coway people were much confident in dealing with all the queries while for Truesens even though all my queries were answered but they were not handled by a native hindi/english speaker (Not being Languageist if that is a word) and appeared to be relatively newer setup.

Upon further investigation it came to light that Truesens is indeed a newer setup from Acco Brands which owns other brands like Artline, Kensington etc. Truesens is too lucrative to miss specially for the wireless sensor. Only downside of truesens is no certification hence no CADR rating. But then again, these days phone manufacturers like OnePlus shy away from official IP certification to keep the cost down. Trusens has some glowing recommendations specially from tech websites from down under.

Dyson i had kept out due to the exorbitant costs and neither did it have any rave reviews online and abroad.

PS: I have used neither and am myself in the midst of an air purifier hunt. Although one thing which i did conclude was that there is no point in going for indian brands / traditional brands like Philips / Daikin / LG / Sharp etc specially in the price range of 15-20K. I had kept Mi Air Purifier 3 in shortlisting along with coway and truesens for its sheer cost savings and nothing more.

Once you take a dive, do let us know which one you went with and how is the performance.
Old 16th November 2019, 08:53   #7438
BHPian

Quote:

I had considered these options as well before going ahead and getting a Dyson Pure Cool advanced. I can tell you it is definitely worth the higher price as it comes with extra onboard sensors and you can actually feel it working and if I am not wrong the filters of the Dyson last over a year(highest among all the purifiers). It displays live PM2.5,PM10, VOC and NO2 readings as well which accurately monitor the air quality. The other brands purify on the basis of only PM2.5 reading mostly and it is rather inaccurate. This also doubles up as a fan during summer months and has a dedicated diffused mode which just purifies. There is also a basic Dyson purifier called the Pure Cool Link which misses out on some of these features but still does a good job. I am sure the purifiers from other brands would do 90% of the purification this does at a much lower cost, however Dyson is top of the line and you can’t go wrong with one.
Old 16th November 2019, 10:19   #7439
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Folks, need recommendations for an Air Purifier.
I'd done some research earlier but didn't actually make the purchase yet. I think some of the important criteria you should consider is easy availability, cost and (DIY) replacement of filter(s).

Last edited by NPV : 16th November 2019 at 10:36.
Old 16th November 2019, 13:34   #7440
Senior - BHPian

I have been using Sharp Plasmacluster, and highly recommend it over Panasonic, LG and GE (brands that I used). In Dubai, the sand storms really test the Air Purifier to the hilt, so Bangalore was a breeze.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks