Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2020, 13:33   #7561
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

So it's a quirk of the way the motor works? I always thought it was designed in.

Thanks for the correction
Old 15th February 2020, 18:19   #7562
BHPian

Re: Does your microwave turntable dance both ways?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I haven't noticed with my current LG oven, but I have seen this in the past, and would not be surprised. I think you can consider it normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
As long the switch between CW and CCW for the turntable rotation does not happen within a given run cycle, this is totally acceptable. Not very uncommon. The relative AC phase in some motors can do that.

The CW and CCW rotations can occur in independent start/stop cycles.

I have seen momentary pauses too. If the pauses are consistent across the complete rotation, should be no cause to worry....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Even our new LG high end oven behaves the same way. It has a mind of its own on when it will turn the table CW or CCW. And that mild steppy movement is also present.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
It depends on where the motor stopped in the previous cycle. An AC synchronous motor can rotate any side given the one which has stronger magnetic induction and this is dictated by the position at which the last cycle stopped....

Thanks guys. Now I'm reassured that I don't need to call service.

Thanks Saket, for the technical explanation.

Quote:
.... Would you want to predict it?

Actually I did, when I was wondering how to show the behaviour to the service guy, -- until it occured to me that I could shoot videos with this handy wondergadget that I have (that, for some reason, is called a "phone")! :-)

The predictability could possibly also help someone stuck with a wrong-Vaastu kitchen, in turning out kosher dishes by rotating the cooking food just the right way! :-).

Quote:
.... I would like to have a microwave without a turntable. I think Panasonic make one, but I can't find it available. They spray the microwaves around instead of turning the food. (Or something like that!)

I suspect they use some kind of mode-stirrer in that model, like I had in my 30-year-old GE MWO. As I'd mentioned in my original post, the GE produced uniform cooking, with no hot spots, -- something my modern Samsung "Smart Oven" doesn't seem to achieve with its fancy-dancing turntable!

Last edited by meerkat : 15th February 2020 at 18:22.
Old 15th February 2020, 19:06   #7563
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
With new LGs, I no longer trust them. I had a LG top washing machine for 12 years which was always in my bathroom & it worked just fine. Then I got a new LG top loader. Now the new one apparently isn't designed to work in humid conditions. I get a small shock when I touch parts of the plastic (like the soap tray) - it's brain dead design to make a washing machine which isn't 100% water proof. And LG knows how to make one - my previous washing machine is proof of that. Just that they chose not to make one. When I had to replace my Sharp Microwave a few months back, I chose a Samsung (my usual first preference used to be LG before for all home appliances).
It might be because of a loose or broken ground contact inside the machine. If it is under warranty then ask the LG technician to check earthing connection inside the machine.
Old 15th February 2020, 21:37   #7564
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
Actually I did, when I was wondering how to show the behaviour to the service guy, -- until it occured to me that I could shoot videos with this handy wondergadget that I have (that, for some reason, is called a "phone")! :-)
The thing I do least with my pocket computer is... make phone calls.
Quote:
The predictability could possibly also help someone stuck with a wrong-Vaastu kitchen, in turning out kosher dishes by rotating the cooking food just the right way! :-).
Kosher food from a vaastu kitchen? Keeping your bases covered there!
Quote:
I suspect they use some kind of mode-stirrer in that model
What's a mode stirrer? I nearly asked before.
Old 15th February 2020, 23:50   #7565
BHPian

Quote:

Kosher food from a vaastu kitchen? Keeping your bases covered there!
Sorry, have used a relaxed meaning of "kosher" there -- something 'proper' or 'legitimate' (American colloquial usage?), -- nothing to do with Judaism!

Quote:
What's a mode stirrer? I nearly asked before.
Mode stirrers are devices that change the boundary conditions on the microwave modes excited in a microwave cavity in order to achieve better homogeneity in the field distribution. This affords more uniform heating of the food. Technically speaking, modern MWOs should have both mode stirrers as well as turntables. But economics may dictate something else! That probably explains why my modern Samsung seems to be inferior to my 30-year-old GE in terms of cooking performance!
Old 20th February 2020, 16:27   #7566
BHPian

Hi,
I have a borewell(3 phase) of 800 feet depth. Need to add a auto controller for borewell switch-board on/off based on water available in sump. Any directions or if anybody has fitted such auto controller for borewell please let me know the manufacturer or details.

Thanks,
Ramki
Old 20th February 2020, 20:29   #7567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please post the photos! I'm confused!

Burners should be designed to give proper gas/air mixture and correct flame shape. Whatever is holding the pots should hold it them at the right height to be at the hot point (give or take for knob level) of the flame.

I would certainly not adapt the burner. It could be dangerous.
Hey Thad. I'd posted up some pics. Missed quoting you in my reply when adding pics.

GutsyGibbon had suggested aftermarket grills - am on the lookout for some of these.
Old 20th February 2020, 21:08   #7568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
if anybody has fitted such auto controller for borewell please let me know the manufacturer or details.
I have been using the auto level controller from this guy for past 10+ years without issues. Once in couple of years call them for servicing the sensors dipped in 'Sump' and 'Overhead' tanks and that's about it.

https://www.justdial.com/Bangalore/S...410-G1V2_BZDET
Old 3rd March 2020, 00:58   #7569
Senior - BHPian

All,

Any recommendations for a wet and dry vac, general-purpose, like a shop-vac? I just want to mop up spills and clean around the house. Preferably, should not have subscription-like renewables like bags and filters (or can run fine without them)
Old 8th March 2020, 09:08   #7570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
So, I ordered Mi Vaccum Cleaner at Sharesave app. This is a Mi owned app. .
... while I have placed ordered around Christmas, it is not yet shipped..
This purchase turned out to be a Skoda-ish ordeal. They kept providing new shipping dates till January end and 'initiated' a refund on February 5. Which didn't arrive!

After waiting for 10 days (as per their timeline), I inquired. But they stopped responding on emails until repeated emails and were non-committal on when the issue would be resolved.

They didn't respond on social media, nor did anyone from Xiaomi while I tagged their CEO as well. Ultimately, one Youtube Reviewer Ashwin @C4ETech retweeted my tweet. After this started getting traction, they woke and issued the refund, after 8 more days. It's almost a full one month from the original 'refund'.

There are many more people like me who neither got the product nor a smooth refund. The play store is filled with negative reviews for the app.

In one word, avoid Mi in general and ShareSave in particular. Their Indian ShareSave partner seems to be a rogue one like Skoda dealers with the Xiaomi India chooses to look the other way. Like Skoda, products are great and VFM but God forbids if anything goes south.
Old 11th March 2020, 12:31   #7571
KPR
BANNED

Can I have suggestion for a new Refrigerator that I'm planning to buy for my home? We've a LG 235L single door Direct cool model. I purchased this refrigerator and one LG split AC in 2012. In simple words I'm fed up with LG. Almost every year I'm calling service center guys for one work or the other in any of these products. Today morning there was no cooling effect and took a decision to ditch this and buy a new one. Requirements are two door type ranging under price of 40k. Strict NO to LG brand. It doesn't work for me. I'm inclined towards Bosch yet I have no idea on their current new product's performances.

Last edited by KPR : 11th March 2020 at 12:32.
Old 11th March 2020, 13:45   #7572
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Hi,
I have a borewell(3 phase) of 800 feet depth. Need to add a auto controller for borewell switch-board on/off based on water available in sump. Any directions or if anybody has fitted such auto controller for borewell please let me know the manufacturer or details.

Thanks,
Ramki
We and 3 neighbors are using the water level controller from RV technologies and all of us are pretty satisfied with the unit

https://www.justdial.com/Bangalore/R...415-Q5S1_BZDET
Old 11th March 2020, 18:12   #7573
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Strict NO to LG brand. It doesn't work for me. I'm inclined towards Bosch yet I have no idea on their current new product's performances.
Sorry to hear about your experience with LG. They are trying to be a premium brand, and are at serious pains to maintain that image. What exactly were the problems with the refrigerator?

I have 2 Samsungs. Both are ordinary run of mill 2 door ones. The one at parents' was purchased in 2011 or 12 along with a LED TV. Both are going strong. The one at the rented apartment is 6 years old and has seen 3 shifting so far. The TV was replaced due to kids throwing toys at it, and of course, got a Samsung smart TV. In case you follow the Android thread, you probably know that there are 3 Samsungs with me. Ah. I almost forgot the washing .machines- front loader at home, (2012) and top loader in the apartment - 2018 (this replaced a 5 year old machine of another brand).

So, guess which brand I'll recommend.

Being vegetarians, we needed larger vegetable trays and smaller freezers. Samsung had comparatively larger veggie trays army price point. YMMV.
Old 11th March 2020, 18:16   #7574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
All,

Any recommendations for a wet and dry vac, general-purpose, like a shop-vac? I just want to mop up spills and clean around the house. Preferably, should not have subscription-like renewables like bags and filters (or can run fine without them)
Go to your nearest tool market and get the polycarbonate models that car wash people use. Rugged and does the job in harsh conditions.
Old 11th March 2020, 20:51   #7575
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Today morning there was no cooling effect and took a decision to ditch this and buy a new one.
Just in case:

Our brand new 2-door fridge had stopped cooling. The problem was - we had packed the keep-fresh section to such an extent that the cool air duct from the freezer had got blocked with ice. Once the de-frosting was done, we ensured lesser items in that part, all was back to normal.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks