Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2011, 17:31   #1891
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
This is fine for "clean rooms" and factories but impractical in domestic environment.
As rightly pointed out, HEPA filters are highly impractical for domestic use. You can only create a closed loop by completing cutting off all outside air by closing windows as otherwise HEPA will get clogged in no time.But it would be too hot inside without a cooling circuit to go along with it. As normal AC's do not have such a high flow rate, so you cannot use HEPA inside an AC. So you will have to combine a Air Purifier with an AC.

Another point to note is HEPA filters are costly and would require periodic replacement after getting clogged with dust.
Old 7th February 2011, 22:39   #1892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearOn View Post
As rightly pointed out, HEPA filters are highly impractical for domestic use. You can only create a closed loop by completing cutting off all outside air by closing windows as otherwise HEPA will get clogged in no time.But it would be too hot inside without a cooling circuit to go along with it. As normal AC's do not have such a high flow rate, so you cannot use HEPA inside an AC. So you will have to combine a Air Purifier with an AC.

Another point to note is HEPA filters are costly and would require periodic replacement after getting clogged with dust.
In a 120-150 sq ft room, with air conditioner used for 8-10 hrs a day and an appropriately rated air-purifier for the room-size 24/7, and the windows/doors being opened for say every 6-8 hrs for 30 mins or so, will the air circulation be adequate?

Alternatively, any solution for such a room where both windows opening towards a busy main road (and hence lot of dust/pollution)?

While on the topic, any idea as to how long it will take for all oxygen to be used up in a closed room of the above size, before one needs to let fresh air in? Or, is the small opening under the doors enough to let air creep in for day-long closed-room usage?
Old 8th February 2011, 00:47   #1893
Senior - BHPian

Had a couple of good experiences from Kenstar.

We had a problem in Mixer/food processes, which we bought 3 years back. Kenstar representative came home and repaired it charging nominal cost of Rs 160 Service and Rs 40 parts.

We had some leaking problem with Kenstar Aircooler, and it was under warranty, Person came and reset the honey comb and everything was fine.

Both the services were made within 24 hrs of talking to customer care. Cannot imagine any other company will send representative to repair a 3 year old mixer which is out of warranty.
Old 8th February 2011, 06:32   #1894
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Both the services were made within 24 hrs of talking to customer care. Cannot imagine any other company will send representative to repair a 3 year old mixer which is out of warranty.
I think most electronic companies do.
6 months back, I had an LG guy come to repair my 5 year old washing machine. 1 year back, I had an Haeir guy come to repair my 4 year old Dryer. LG is almost always with 24 hours. Haier probably took 2 days.
Old 8th February 2011, 10:22   #1895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post

While on the topic, any idea as to how long it will take for all oxygen to be used up in a closed room of the above size, before one needs to let fresh air in? Or, is the small opening under the doors enough to let air creep in for day-long closed-room usage?
The infiltration from under doors and gaps is usually enough for short while. You can use the vent or fresh air function in AC's to get in fresh air in 1-2 hours. Also opening the windows in 6-8 hours for 30 mins. would be a good idea.
Old 8th February 2011, 11:10   #1896
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
In a 120-150 sq ft room, with air conditioner used for 8-10 hrs a day and an appropriately rated air-purifier for the room-size 24/7, and the windows/doors being opened for say every 6-8 hrs for 30 mins or so, will the air circulation be adequate?

Alternatively, any solution for such a room where both windows opening towards a busy main road (and hence lot of dust/pollution)?

First of all you need not open the windows for ventilation, unless you have a split AC. In window Ac you have a "fresh air" lever which mixes outside air with the cold air. It is very effective, as I smoke and once the room gets stuffy I open the vent and the room is fresh within half an hour.

Though it is difficult to determine when the oxygen will need recharging in a room, a fair indicator is the smell. In a room with people and all openings closed, smell will tell you when to ventilate much before the oxygen levels go down.

In fact all closed loop systems (say submarines and clean rooms), incorporate odor scrubbing units along with particulate filters and oxygen recharging system.
Old 8th February 2011, 13:57   #1897
Team-BHP Support

IFB product quality or the lack of it

Time and time again, members on this thread have mentioned about IFBs falling standards in terms of quality. I can only agree, having bought a front loading WM from them a couple of years ago.

Besides the dancing problem which i had mentioned multiple times on this thread, and which others also agreed with, i am now faced with a leakage from the bottom of the machine during its operation.

I complained to customer care and a service guy came and changed some rubber pipe on the bottom, and the issue was resolved. What irked me was that i had clearly taken Extended Warranty on the machine, which meant that i would not be charged for the service. However, i was supposed to have received some certificate confirming the EW, which was not provided to me by the guy who came to issue the EW. All he did was put some sticker from IFB in the service booklet, and mention the date the EW was to end in writing.

It now turns out, this is a fake and the new guy who came refused to honor the EW owing to the absence of the certificate. I gave both him as well as his superior a piece of my mind but still ended up paying a discounted amount for the service rendered.

As a customer how am i supposed to know what documents are issued by the company when EW is issued?!! I am now faced with the situation where i have paid for the EW, but it is not honored by the service guys!

I have decided i will NEVER buy another IFB product again, and will also dissuade any of my friends or relatives from the same.

And to add insult to injury, the damned machine has started leaking once again, last time i checked!

IFB, you are certainly digging your own grave. It was no wonder that when i recently bought a Microwave with grill, IFB was never even considered.
Old 8th February 2011, 15:24   #1898
Senior - BHPian

Re: IFB product quality or the lack of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post

I complained to customer care and a service guy came and changed some rubber pipe on the bottom, and the issue was resolved. What irked me was that i had clearly taken Extended Warranty on the machine, which meant that i would not be charged for the service. However, i was supposed to have received some certificate confirming the EW, which was not provided to me by the guy who came to issue the EW. All he did was put some sticker from IFB in the service booklet, and mention the date the EW was to end in writing.

It now turns out, this is a fake and the new guy who came refused to honor the EW owing to the absence of the certificate. I gave both him as well as his superior a piece of my mind but still ended up paying a discounted amount for the service rendered.
They should have honoured the EW as it is not your mistake.

I have been getting only a receipt for the extended warranty where they clearly mention the period of extended warranty.

I am very happy with IFB washing machine. It is working fine for the last 8 years even though the drum was damaged while shifting house and had to be replaced. Anyway, I will not go for IFB washing machine again as the dancing issue is very troublesome. We are managing now by stuffing clothes inside the drum, if there a little space left it will run all around the utitlity.

Thanks for sharing the experience.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 8th February 2011 at 15:26.
Old 10th February 2011, 14:00   #1899
Senior - BHPian

My 14 year old Whirlpool washing machine gave up the ghost yesterday. The A.S.S. guy who visited says the brake shoe & gear box (!) as well as outlet motor are busted. He says repairs will be possible but expensive ( Rs 5K or more),provided he can source the gear assy. He says it will be better to replace the machine.

Though I was very satisfied with the brand all these years, I am now attracted by Samsung. The machines are very trendy. Does anyone have any experience with their washers? I have two TVs and one AC from them and am happy so far.
Old 10th February 2011, 14:17   #1900
Senior - BHPian

Benny. Good to see that atleast somebody came and repaired it. Mine is a 9 year old IFB WM and has started giving troubles with leaks and unusual noise. Called the support number at least 20 times in the last one week and nobody has even turned up. We ended up having a huge pile of laundry and yesterday I dumped this WM and went and picked up an LG Dryer/Washer combo. God save IFB.
Old 10th February 2011, 14:20   #1901
Team-BHP Support

Vasoo, did you try raising a complaint on this number? Try it.
080 39004321.

That said, i dont think it makes any sense to waste any money on a 9 year old device. Good thing you went in for a new LG.

As for IFB, they are only going to find themselves in the same situation as Nokia find themselves today, thanks to their high-handedness and lack of innovation.
Old 10th February 2011, 14:27   #1902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Vasoo, did you try raising a complaint on this number? Try it.
080 39004321.

That said, i dont think it makes any sense to waste any money on a 9 year old device. Good thing you went in for a new LG.

As for IFB, they are only going to find themselves in the same situation as Nokia find themselves today, thanks to their high-handedness and lack of innovation.
I called the same number. Every time they promised that somebody will be at my door in 24 hours and it went on for the whole week while clothes were piling up. Then I asked for manager/escalation and heard the same crap this week. Decided to dump it and warned all my apt guys to be careful about this company.
Old 10th February 2011, 14:33   #1903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I called the same number. Every time they promised that somebody will be at my door in 24 hours and it went on for the whole week while clothes were piling up. Then I asked for manager/escalation and heard the same crap this week. Decided to dump it and warned all my apt guys to be careful about this company.
That's sad. With our LG microwave and refrigerator, they turn up the next day even if you lodge a complaint at 10pm. You'll have a better time with LG.
Old 10th February 2011, 15:17   #1904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
That's sad. With our LG microwave and refrigerator, they turn up the next day even if you lodge a complaint at 10pm. You'll have a better time with LG.
Even Samsung is not too far behind atleast in ahmedabad. raised 1 service request and 1 complaint online late in the evening and both time, the service guys turned up in the first half of the day.

They even charged less then their quoted house visiting charges as the complaint turned out to be just a loose wire connection in the microwave.
Old 10th February 2011, 17:16   #1905
Senior - BHPian

For my 10+ year old IFB I have an annual contract, and they come immediately. May be they have a good service network in Delhi. Though the AMC is slightly steep ~1.5k, They have been extremely prompt in response and have replaced practically every thing except the body. The last replacement was the main drum. Motor has been done twice.

Two years back I thought of changing the machine, so did not renew the AMC, but after some problem crept up a couple of months ago, I decided to keep it and renewed the AMC. Though I have paid nearly the cost of new machine in AMC, I feel that the expense was worth it, as no one has to run around in case of problems and 10+ years of peace of mind is worth the cost.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks