Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2012, 13:53   #3286
Oxy
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

I am in the market to buy a refrigerator, preferably over 300L capacity. Shortlisted these:

1. http://www.homeshop18.com/hitachi-re...4832/cid:3587/

2. http://www.homeshop18.com/whirlpool-...7783/cid:3587/

3. http://www.flipkart.com/samsung-rt31...GD8C6YUBH5FDPY

The first one (Hitachi) looks nice, but I am finding it hard to locate this in stores. Is it advisable to buy online? How is Hitachi as a brand with respect to refrigerators?

Also, are these not overpriced? Does a 300L fridge cost between 25-30k?

Views/suggestions on this would be a great help.
Old 30th November 2012, 14:07   #3287
BANNED

I will also take a look at the Panasonic Inverter range. These have freezers on the bottom. I think some Sharp ones also so it.
Old 30th November 2012, 15:32   #3288
Team-BHP Support

^^Having the freezer at bottom is very convenient, less strain to access the vegetable tray.
Old 30th November 2012, 16:11   #3289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Btw, was told by the owner that hobs are good only for design purpose but, cooks food slowly thereby increasing the gas consumption compared to normal stoves. Is this true?
All the Hobs I have seen have large burners. If your cooking style is such that you use the gas full blast, then the high capacity Hobs would burn more gas.

Most of the gas burners available today are designed to be more efficient compared to those ten to fifteen years ago. So I doubt that for the same task the Hob will consume more gas or cook slower.

To get optimum performance from a gas burner
. Ensure that the flame does not reach beyond 2/3 of the vessels diameter. If it reaches out beyond the vessel, you are just heating the kitchen, not the food.
. Use the control knob to control the amount of gas. For example when there is curry or rice, then it is pointless having high gas. You only need to adjust it so that it just boils, else you will be using excess gas just to create steam (boil the water away)
. Clean the burners regularly, especially the holes. Holes clogged with food particles will give yellow flame, which indicates that the gas is just burning residue and not delivering heat where needed.
Old 30th November 2012, 18:59   #3290
Distinguished - BHPian

My problem with hobs is bad design: the pan supports are always made to look pretty rather than to support pans. I believe that the pan supports should include the edges, not some sort of star arrangement that allows the pans to fall off if not centred. Almost all the ones I've seen in recent years, including my own Kaaf, fail in this respect.
Old 1st December 2012, 11:02   #3291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy
I am in the market to buy a refrigerator, preferably over 300L capacity. Shortlisted these:

1. http://www.homeshop18.com/hitachi-re...4832/cid:3587/

2. http://www.homeshop18.com/whirlpool-...7783/cid:3587/

3. http://www.flipkart.com/samsung-rt31...GD8C6YUBH5FDPY

The first one (Hitachi) looks nice, but I am finding it hard to locate this in stores. Is it advisable to buy online? How is Hitachi as a brand with respect to refrigerators?

Also, are these not overpriced? Does a 300L fridge cost between 25-30k?

Views/suggestions on this would be a great help.
I think the online prices are inflated. I have had excellent experience with Samsung. We have 2. One is about 15 years old and another about 7. Zero issues and very low maintenance. The older one cost me 30k as the frost free concept was new then and direct import those days. Second one cost me 16k. Bought a third for a cousin last year and I guess it was about 19k for a 320 lit model.
My sis has the Panasonic bottom freezer and it had some issues with the compressor and cooling etc
Old 1st December 2012, 11:15   #3292
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Iam in the market to buy a chimney and stove.

How is Glen as a brand to buy Chimney and Hobs? I know the AP Distributor and getting an awesome deal and may go with this brand most likely

Btw, was told by the owner that hobs are good only for design purpose but, cooks food slowly thereby increasing the gas consumption compared to normal stoves. Is this true?
Look at Siemens if available.

Next option would be Kaff. I have the Kaff at home and found the quality a notch above glen.

Faber is the lowest followed by Gilma in quality.
Old 1st December 2012, 12:25   #3293
BANNED

I have Faber - Chimney, Cooking Range and Hob. Over a dozen years old, still going strong. Now I am planning to change the chimney as its is showing its age.
Old 3rd December 2012, 09:21   #3294
Team-BHP Support

Was looking around for a front loading washing machine after my 5.5KG Samsung front loader got spoilt within 2.5 years. The mode selector knob on the Samsung stopped working and Samsung said they don't have the PCB for the front loading machines. The only way is for a partial refund. After a lot of escalation the refund amount was atleast satisfactory. Their usual policy is to refund the invoice value after 44% depreciation.

After that experience, Samsung was automatically ruled out from the list and we were left with Siemens/Bosch/LG. Took a look at all the LG direct drive models and although the Direct drive technology is nice the machines felt very flimsy. The mode selector knob on the LG's felt even more fragile than the Samsung. That left Siemens/Bosch.

5.5KG was also ruled out since mom found it too small. So looked at Bosch 6.5KG and Siemens 7KG. 7KG was looking like a better option so finalized the 7KG model.

Then looked at Dishwasher's and ended up picking up the Siemen's Dishwasher as well.

Siemens/Bosch both have 2 models each for Dishwasher. One of them has adjustable rack height for the top rack and more washing modes with an LCD display. The other model does not have adjustable rack height and no LCD display.

Between the Siemens and Bosch lower end models the Siemens has one extra wash program and one extra temp. The prices are identical for both. I went for the Siemens since the WM was the same brand as well.
Old 3rd December 2012, 10:03   #3295
BHPian

Guys, suggestions invited for a Vacuum Cleaner. Should cost under 4K. Will be buying during Xmas to loot out the discounts available, either online or directly.

I will primarily be using it to clean the interiors of the car and want something which has enough suction to clean the fabric seats and the interiors well enough. Bought a DC car vacuum cleaner couple of months back and it ended up as a useless thing. That said, i will be using it at house as well.

http://www.flipkart.com/eureka-forbe...d-640b3707c08e - This one seems to be most common one. Whats your take on this ? Anybody using this one? Please share your experiences.

Thanks in advance
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:29   #3296
BANNED

@vid6639; Even more reason to steer clear of Samsung. afaik they are expected to provide spares for ten years!

Siemens and Bosch are the same in India, made at the same factory. So the differences are more in the minor specs if at all.

I have used LG for over a decade (WM, Micro-, Fridges) and have found their service prompt and excellent. Samsung have outsource4 and for all you know it is the agent taking you for a ride.
Old 3rd December 2012, 14:54   #3297
BHPian

@vid6639; Can you please tell me the prices you were quoted for the WM?

My five year old Siemens washing machine started giving problems last week. The service technician asked us to replace the drum. The price of the drum is quoted as 10K.

I am not sure if it is worth replacing the drum. I can't be sure of other problems and expenses in near future and thinking of spending another 15-20K, and replacing the whole WM. Please advise me, whether I should replace the drum or replace the WM.

Regards,
Mohan.
Old 3rd December 2012, 15:15   #3298
BANNED

@umvarma; Five years is a bit too early. While goods once past their eighth birthday should be replaced when they break down. One can safely expect their normal life to be about a decade. So you have to take a call.

Now the direct drives of LG are fantastic in all ways. This is all I will say.
Old 3rd December 2012, 15:25   #3299
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by umvarma View Post

My five year old Siemens washing machine started giving problems last week. The service technician asked us to replace the drum. The price of the drum is quoted as 10K.

I am not sure if it is worth replacing the drum. I can't be sure of other problems and expenses in near future and thinking of spending another 15-20K, and replacing the whole WM. Please advise me, whether I should replace the drum or replace the WM.

Regards,
Mohan.
I don't know the exact break up of prices. It was like a package deal for a few home appliances bought together. I think the WM came to 29-31K in that.
This is the 7KG Siemens model.

Which model do you have and what is wrong with the drum?
Old 3rd December 2012, 15:48   #3300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by umvarma View Post

Regards,
Mohan.
Mohan me to have Siemens WM and its body got rusted after 8 yrs of usage got it replaced by local vendors. Siemens folks advised me to write off. Local vendor do give AMC/service at much cheaper than original manufacture. As your WM is already 5+ better to check local technician. Search for WM repair in Bangalore and you will find many. If you need help PM me

Last edited by aka_iitd : 3rd December 2012 at 15:49.

Most Viewed