Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2019, 17:56   #7006
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

I have a tube light over my car. Although I only buy LED now, I think this one might be fluorescent. It is fine for dusting and washing down, but would not be anything like good enough for polishing, let alone detailing.

I also have another floodlight in that area, but it points at the front of the car, so coverage is not even, and it is harder on the eyes than the tube. All my floodlights are no-name Chinese, from a local shop.

If I wanted to work on the car, I'd have to seriously consider coverage and shadows, as well as simply lighting the sides as well as the top. I think: minimum of two tube lights, towards the sides. That would work for cleaning. For the engine, the bonnet would block. And if I used the floodlight, my own shadow would probably block. OK for a quick levels check, but not for anything else.

I'm sure that other guys here have effective answers to these problems. I'd suspect that those who do engine work, inside or at night, probably use a lot of portable lighting.
Old 14th January 2019, 07:46   #7007
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
... As a result, inevitably I find the next morning that I should have cleaned and/or dried better on certain parts of the car, but could not make the same out at night.

Any recommendations on a pair of LED lights? Budget total of 4k max! And white light or yellow s.
White always - for me. The trick is getting the position right, so that light from the source plus diffused light, plus reflections from walls, if any, light up the car well and do not cause dark spots.

A single point source, like a bulb may not be the best here.

I suggest 22w LED tubes, aka batten. Should not cost more than Rs. 500 -750, including installationg swiches and wiring.

Start with the wall where the meter is. This will help lighting up the meters etc on the wall too. Put it such that there are no shadows in side the boot / bonnet (hood) when they are open. This way, you may get some diffused light reflected wall too. Usually this ought to suffice. Get other lights after checking how this works.

If you don't have reflective surfaces on the ceiling, think of 4 8 W LEDs on 4 corners.

For a 3 side closed garage, I would have recommended light at the entrance. Avoiding shadows on the part of the body which curves inwards like running board, below wheel-hub level, Lowe parts of bumpers, etc will be difficult unless you can use diffused and reflected light.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 14th January 2019 at 07:50.
Old 14th January 2019, 10:41   #7008
BHPian

The following rant is about the Bosch ASS.

My one year old dishwasher which is under warranty is acting up. It is not working intermittently. Lodged a complaint one month back and it is still unresolved. The technician visited a few times but they are unable to diagnose the fault. The matter has been escalated to their Factory level and there is simply no reply from them for last 10 days. A request for a standby machine is also not honoured so far.

The approach to the diagnosis is something that is something that I do not expect from Bosch. They are randomly changing parts without any logic. They have changed 3 parts already without any resolution. Although there is no problem with water pressure which was confirmed through manual measurement by their technician the factory team is insisting on installing a water pressure booster pump. The water pressure booster pump has been installed by Bosch at their cost and as expected the problem persists.

This is my first so called "German" appliance and facing so much of an issue. Earlier all my appliances were LG or Samsung and never faced a problem with service.

Feeling quite frustrated.

Last edited by archat68 : 14th January 2019 at 10:45.
Old 14th January 2019, 13:17   #7009
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking to floodlight my covered (but 3 sides open) garage to help in washing my Octavia after dusk. I typically park the car jutting out more than usual so that the rear wall (with electric meter box etc) stays dry. As a result, inevitably I find the next morning that I should have cleaned and/or dried better on certain parts of the car, but could not make the same out at night.
Forget Flood lights for this job. Floodlights are for illuminating vast expanse of land. They are like your headlights. The harsh glare they produce won't allow you to see details. You would be better off with a Highbay light to see details. But this would require sufficient ceiling height.

A simple set up would be a set of LED 9 W bulbs fitted in cheap luminaire which diffuse the light evenly. Choose the same color temperature for all the bulbs. And don't go for Philips brand. I have had lots of failure with Philips LEDs than the cheap Chinese no-name brands.
Old 14th January 2019, 13:49   #7010
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
And don't go for Philips brand. I have had lots of failure with Philips LEDs than the cheap Chinese no-name brands.
I agree. My Philips 9W LED bulb conked off within 8 months. I got a replacement under warranty & that also conked off after another 6 months. I have 2 Chinese 6W LEDs which are going strong for more than a year now.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 17th March 2019 at 14:38. Reason: spacing for better readability
Old 14th January 2019, 14:54   #7011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I agree. My Philips 9W LED bulb conked off within 8 months. I got a replacement under warranty & that also conked off after another 6 months. I have 2 Chinese 6W LEDs which are going strong for more than a year now.
Same with Eveready too. Purchased a lot from Paytm. Now three got conked off within a year, nowhere to get warranty
Old 14th January 2019, 15:51   #7012

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Same with Eveready too. Purchased a lot from Paytm. Now three got conked off within a year, nowhere to get warranty
Not sure about other brand, but Eveready has warranty of 2 years IIRC. I got a dozen sometime back. 6 of them conked off in 18 months and I got them replaced from their office in central Delhi. No questions asked.
Old 14th January 2019, 17:54   #7013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bumping up your post. I am looking to floodlight my covered (but 3 sides open) garage to help in washing my Octavia after dusk. I typically park the car jutting out more than usual so that the rear wall (with electric meter box etc) stays dry. As a result, inevitably I find the next morning that I should have cleaned and/or dried better on certain parts of the car, but could not make the same out at night.

Any recommendations on a pair of LED lights? Budget total of 4k max! And white light or yellow preferred for this particular use-case? Amazon selling a huge range of brands starting from no-names to brands like Oreva, Eveready and of course the Philips Smartbright series.
I bought 2 x 10W water proof flood light and they do a fair job in my backyard. You may need 4 of these to get a wider coverage.
https://www.amazon.in/Prop-Up-Waterp...ed+flood+light

but there are more options
https://www.amazon.in/Ultra-Flood-ou...ed+flood+light

https://www.amazon.in/Soy-Impulse-Fl...ed+flood+light
Old 14th January 2019, 22:52   #7014
Distinguished - BHPian

The 10w floodlight outside our front door is aimed up at the White ceiling over the sit out area. It casts a gentle and even light. It can be pointed down for spotlight effect
Old 15th January 2019, 10:19   #7015
BHPian

Looking to change my existing Samsung 7KG fully automatic washing machine with a new one as the one we have has started giving problems.

Any suggestions on which 7-8KG fully automatic machine I should buy? I am confused between IFB, Bosch and Samsung.

Regards,
Vijay

Last edited by vijay_k : 15th January 2019 at 10:21.
Old 15th January 2019, 10:43   #7016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay_k View Post
Looking to change my existing Samsung 7KG fully automatic washing machine with a new one as the one we have has started giving problems.

Any suggestions on which 7-8KG fully automatic machine I should buy? I am confused between IFB, Bosch and Samsung.

Regards,
Vijay
I'm a very satisfied LG user and would recommend that. Just read my rant about the BOSCH ASS (that too in a metro city) a few post above.
Old 15th January 2019, 11:04   #7017
Senior - BHPian

I tend to agree with you. The first washing machine, a fully-auto which LG launched back then, was lapped up by us. Mind you, LG was a rank newcomer. It went on and on for 12 years without a whimper. Never needed service. So when the motor finally gave up, we picked a Godrej (Don't know why we did not pick up another LG, maybe anti-incumbency feelings had something to do with it ) which did not last a month since our usage is very heavy . Disposed of it - took a loss on that one - and we picked up a pricey Samsung, which is their top-of-the-line fully automatic. Happy with the product.

Quote:
I'm a very satisfied LG user

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th January 2019 at 14:54. Reason: Please insert smileys using the smiley panel, and not by embedding a link in an IMG tag - as that causes issues on Mobile
Old 15th January 2019, 11:24   #7018
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I tend to agree with you. The first washing machine, a fully-auto which LG launched back then, was lapped up by us. Mind you, LG was a rank newcomer. It went on and on for 12 years without a whimper. Never needed service.
In my case even when a service is required (not anything major though) they are very prompt. The services are usually attended the same day or maximum next day. Charges are reasonable, parts availability is not an issue so far. I'll gladly buy another LG when the current conks off.
Old 15th January 2019, 11:55   #7019
BHPian

Quote:
I'm a very satisfied LG user and would recommend that. Just read my rant about the BOSCH ASS (that too in a metro city) a few post above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I tend to agree with you. The first washing machine, a fully-auto which LG launched back then, was lapped up by us. Mind you, LG was a rank newcomer. It went on and on for 12 years without a whimper. Never needed service. So when the motor finally gave up, we picked a Godrej (Don't know why we did not pick up another LG, maybe anti-incumbency feelings had something to do with it ) which did not last a month since our usage is very heavy . Disposed of it - took a loss on that one - and we picked up a pricey Samsung, which is their top-of-the-line fully automatic. Happy with the product.
Quote:
In my case even when a service is required (not anything major though) they are very prompt. The services are usually attended the same day or maximum next day. Charges are reasonable, parts availability is not an issue so far. I'll gladly buy another LG when the current conks off.
Thank you for your responses.

Is LG better that IFB? Heard a lot of good reviews about IFB, also Samsung and LG gives 10 years warranty on the motor but IFB gives only 4 years.
Old 15th January 2019, 13:26   #7020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay_k View Post
Thank you for your responses.

Is LG better that IFB? Heard a lot of good reviews about IFB, also Samsung and LG gives 10 years warranty on the motor but IFB gives only 4 years.
I've heard very bad reviews about IFB ASS. It is there in this thread itself.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks