Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2011, 20:18   #4681
BHPian

Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
As has been said before all 5 cameras listed above can take good images. The 600 and 60 have a tilt and swivel lens and a better suited to video than the other 3 though I have seen very good video shot with the 550 as well.

Also bodies loos value faster than lenses so it make sense to first choose the lenses you need most then choose a body that suits your budget.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipinjoshi View Post
Hi! As suggested by another BHPian, you need to see you use. In case it is for hobby use, any DSLR body should suffice and i would not suggest going beyond the Canon 550D segmant. I would rather suggest you invest in a good lens than a more expensive body unless even faster FPS & even higher (but hardly used) ISO would be used. The prices in the US and India are hardly different, with there being no warranty on US products in India.
Thank you all! After deliberating a long over the choices, compatibility and availability of lenses, I went for Canon EOS 550D EF-S 18-55 IS Kit and got a really very good deal at eBay India (36,499 with a eBay discount coupon for 2k, effectively getting at 34500 and freebies worth Rs 5000 from Zoomin!) Steal, isn't it?
Old 5th July 2011, 20:31   #4682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
Err sorry i was referring to nikon D3100. I compared the D3100 with nikon's 1100D and found the 3100 to be better!

You messed it up again,pal . Canon 1100D. Not Nikon 1100D

EDIT:
Saw your post in DSLR thread, good decision!

Last edited by sachinj12 : 5th July 2011 at 20:33.
sachinj12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2011, 22:51   #4683
BHPian

Wx1

Does anyone know about Sony WX1 here?

It has CMOS, burst shots, 28 mm eq zoom etc. Looks like a fair one.

Also it's available on ebay for around 9500/-.

This sounds like a bargain.

Inputs required please.

Last edited by skdking : 8th July 2011 at 22:52.
Old 9th July 2011, 11:56   #4684
Senior - BHPian

Re: Wx1

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post

Inputs required please.
I guess you are looking at a simple but compact P&S camera with out much manual control. The specs look good and for under 10k, you can go ahead and buy it.

On the other hand, you can have a look at Nikon COOLPIX L23 10.1 M.P 5x optical zoom . It has similar specs but at a much lower price point(under 5k) and just slightly thicker than WX1.

EDIT:
If you consider the Nikon, you can also look at this canon offering:
http://www.smartshoppers.in/product/...-optical-zoom/
This one has a optical viewfinder(for me its a deal maker!!), you can save the battery a lot!!

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 9th July 2011 at 12:00.
kkr2k2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2011, 11:21   #4685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post

Inputs required please.
The quoted model is an older version of the latest offering from Sony (WX7) which is available for Rs.12700/- with 3 years Sony India warranty. The WX1 would be a seller warranty product which could be used or refurbished. Consider the WX7 if you can stretch your budget a little and kindly stay away from the Nikon suggested by another bhpian. The WX1 (or WX7) is not even comparable to the L23/24 as the low light shots and overall detail levels would be drastically superior. The billed products offer 0% EMI schemes which you can check at Sony Centre and maybe go upto the HX7V (GPS, 10x, CMOS, 3d etc.)
Old 10th July 2011, 11:38   #4686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
There is no Canon DSLR called the D3100. You must be referring to the Nikon. It is a great camera for starters but I think the D3000 could be a good choice as well. However, since the Canon 1100D is newer and is within budget, go for it.

Sony DSLRs while interesting might let you down in the long run if you are looking for lenses etc.

P.S. There is a separate thread on DSLRs.
Hey man! I second your opinion of preferring the D3000 over the 3100 and spending on the lens, but i got to correct you on the current scenario. Sony already has lenses available in the market (75-300, 50 mm f1.8, 18-200, 18-250 and a whole array of macro, tele & stuff) which are better priced than Canon & Nikon.

Also, Sigma & Tamron lenses are almost 1/2 to 1/3 times cheaper for Sony as the stabilizer in Sony is in the body. An 18-200 in Tamron (with Macro) or Sigma is around Rs.16000 whereas the IS in & VR in Nikon is between Rs.40-50000.

Unless someone plans to take photography as a career, i feel that the A-33/55 series is a far more sensible choice than the lacklusture and basic D3100s & 1100Ds (even D5100 & 550D for that matter)
Old 10th July 2011, 19:02   #4687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sony already has lenses available in the market (75-300, 50 mm f1.8, 18-200, 18-250 and a whole array of macro, tele & stuff) which are better priced than Canon & Nikon.
Agreed. However I never saw these lenses (or cameras) when I was hunting around.
Old 10th July 2011, 23:18   #4688
BHPian

Quote:
The quoted model is an older version of the latest offering from Sony (WX7) which is available for Rs.12700/- with 3 years Sony India warranty. The WX1 would be a seller warranty product which could be used or refurbished. Consider the WX7 if you can stretch your budget a little and kindly stay away from the Nikon suggested by another bhpian. The WX1 (or WX7) is not even comparable to the L23/24 as the low light shots and overall detail levels would be drastically superior. The billed products offer 0% EMI schemes which you can check at Sony Centre and maybe go upto the HX7V (GPS, 10x, CMOS, 3d etc.)
Hi Vipin

Suggest me a slim P&S as well

I want a good 'auto mode', HD video and fast/less shutter lag P&S. My budget is 10k

I liked Sony T99. Whats your opinion!?

Thanks
Old 11th July 2011, 17:04   #4689
BHPian

Quote:
Agreed. However I never saw these lenses (or cameras) when I was hunting around.
That i agree. Sony India is very choosy about their partners and thus you won't see their SLTs & Lenses etc. at most of the showrooms. Again, there are very few proper retailers who stock the entire range of third party (SIgma, Tamron etc.) lenses for Sony mount, but it is the same for Canon & Nikon mount.

Infact, it is more of a typical mindset we have, that we associate an SLR to be a Canon or Nikon. The right approach to buying any product should be the features, performance and even support, but never the perception of a brand. Sony really needs to make their products visible to the consumers to make sure they get a hands on feel of the same.
Old 11th July 2011, 17:33   #4690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
Hi Vipin

I want a good 'auto mode', HD video and fast/less shutter lag P&S. My budget is 10k

Thanks
Well, i would suggest you go in for a camera with HD Video & Optical Image Stabilizer at the least to avoid blurry pictures during zooming and in low light. In the range of 10k you could look at the following:
  1. Sony W570 - Rs.11K (16MP, 5x, HD Video, Optical Image Stabilizer)
  2. Canon A3300 - Rs.10K (16MP, 5x, HD Video, Optical Image Stabilizer)
  3. Casio Z2000 - Rs.10K (14MP, 5x, HD Video, Optical Image Stabilizer)
These are the best options available in the market with all of the above having some or the other feature extra over the other. The Casio is the one which leads the pack as it has the following features extra:
  • Battery shot capacity of 580 shots as compared to 200-220 shots in other models
  • High speed shooting at 10 photos per second (maximum 20 shots) & 3 consecutive shots with flash in less than a second for capturing motion
  • Multi Recording - One can click photos between video recordings and video will keep recording.
  • The Premium Auto mode is the most advance auto mode which can select a variety of parameters before, during and after shooting a photo to give you an image with exceptional detailing.
Not that the Canon or Sony aren't good, it's just that this model is superior to the rest. The discounts vary from Rs.300-1000 usually, but the Casio is available for around Rs.8000 and it comes with a Casio wrist watch worth Rs.2700
vipinjoshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2011, 18:01   #4691
BHPian

Quote:
Not that the Canon or Sony aren't good, it's just that this model is superior to the rest. The discounts vary from Rs.300-1000 usually, but the Casio is available for around Rs.8000 and it comes with a Casio wrist watch worth Rs.2700
Amazing! Thanks for the suggestions. Would definately look out for the casio. Till now i was looking at options like Nikon 8100, Canon Ixus 220 HS, 3200 IS, Sony TX5 etc (all above budget).

The casio looks like a good option for me.
Old 12th July 2011, 12:40   #4692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
Hi Vipin

Thanks
Sony would be dropping the price of Sony T99 from 13K to 10k tomorrow.
Old 13th July 2011, 19:01   #4693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sony really needs to make their products visible to the consumers to make sure they get a hands on feel of the same.
Forget Sony. Where is Pentax? My order of preference was 1. Pentax 2. Sony 3. Nikon 4. Canon

The first two just got wiped off the list in a matter of two days.
Old 13th July 2011, 21:46   #4694
BHPian

Quote:
Forget Sony. Where is Pentax? My order of preference was 1. Pentax 2. Sony 3. Nikon 4. Canon

The first two just got wiped off the list in a matter of two days.
now that Pentax is sold...hope better branding days for it will come now...
Old 17th July 2011, 14:03   #4695
BHPian

HI Bhpians

Can someone let me know where i can get a adpater for canon sx 30 IS for fitting UV filter . I have serached palika bazar but it was not available there . Can someone please help me out .

Most Viewed