Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2010, 12:11   #2401
BHPian

thank you Tejas,

It working like a charm now
Old 14th October 2010, 13:02   #2402
Team-BHP Support

That mean APN was not entered properly. If you have APN visible under settings>network, usually official unlock phones will have that. Then enter direct and it should work or else what Tejas has suggested.
Old 14th October 2010, 13:48   #2403
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
That mean APN was not entered properly. If you have APN visible under settings>network, usually official unlock phones will have that. Then enter direct and it should work or else what Tejas has suggested.
My 3GS running 4.0.1 JB doesn't allow APN settings/changes although it's factory unlocked. The only work around is use the APN changer from unlockit or APN changer via Cydia on a JB iphone or use an official plan from the service provider.
Old 14th October 2010, 15:20   #2404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Now would be a good time for me to ask you what APN is
Hi,

The GPRS may not work if you had kept 3G toggle on while JB.

If you have the correct APN (access point name) settings eg., BSNL Bangalore is now "bsnlnet", Idea is "internet" and gprs still does not work. Do a JB with 3G switch off.

Please let cydia save your hashes if you have not done already.

Fiddler
Old 14th October 2010, 17:42   #2405

APN setting

Quote:
Jaggu, want to ask you as you got your phone unlocked from Airtel after 1 year. After the unlock were you allowed to see the APN setting. I have got a Airtel lock 16 GB 3GS, jailbreaked nad using Vodafone. It does not have the option of APN enabled under general - setting. After getting the official unlock from Airtel after one year, will I get that option enabled? Currently I got the APN setting done through unlock.nz but it allow only once. I have tried to do it again as I want to use the MTNL 3G card with APN setting for MTNL but it stopped me saying I have one profile already activated. Downloaded the Confrigation utility from Apple site and tried to update the APN but got the same message. I guess unlock.nz followed the same principal. Just curious that when I am eligible for a official unlock from Airtel after 10 months will the APN setting will be enabled under the general - setting option to make the changes realtime. thanks in advance for your help.
Old 14th October 2010, 19:18   #2406
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
My 3GS running 4.0.1 JB doesn't allow APN settings/changes although it's factory unlocked. The only work around is use the APN changer from unlockit or APN changer via Cydia on a JB iphone or use an official plan from the service provider.
If its unlocked and any card other than the OE network card (ie card of service provider from where phone was purchased) is plonked in, it should show the APN page. I dont know what happens after JB coz i haven't done it till date

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachin26 View Post
Jaggu, want to ask you as you got your phone unlocked from Airtel after 1 year. After the unlock were you allowed to see the APN setting. I have got a Airtel lock 16 GB 3GS, jailbreaked nad using Vodafone. It does not have the option of APN enabled under general - setting.
=========
Just curious that when I am eligible for a official unlock from Airtel after 10 months will the APN setting will be enabled under the general - setting option to make the changes realtime. thanks in advance for your help.
As i said if i use any other card apart from Airtel (my OE network), it shows the APN, User Name, Password under General>Network>IIRC Cellular Data.

Oh one small correction i have tried only BSNL card, so since Vodafone is amongst the Apple approved service provider, am not sure if the settings will be taken from i tunes. For this you need to hook up iTunes and click on check for updates. Rest is automatic.
Old 14th October 2010, 20:14   #2407

Quote:
If its unlocked and any card other than the OE network card (ie card of service provider from where phone was purchased) is plonked in, it should show the APN page. I dont know what happens after JB coz i haven't done it till date

As i said if i use any other card apart from Airtel (my OE network), it shows the APN, User Name, Password under General>Network>IIRC Cellular Data.

Oh one small correction i have tried only BSNL card, so since Vodafone is amongst the Apple approved service provider, am not sure if the settings will be taken from i tunes. For this you need to hook up iTunes and click on check for updates. Rest is automatic.
Need to check were you getting the APN option under General>Network>IIRC Cellular Data when your phone was officially locked with Airtel in first year or have you started getting this option only after you got your phone officially unlocked from Airtel. Currently I don't have this option under General - Network - Cellular data. It just have the option of on and off for cellular data. I was curious when I get the offical unlock after 1 year, will it start showing under the General - Network - Cellular data to make the manual chages in APN as per the service provider you want to use.
Old 15th October 2010, 10:32   #2408
Team-BHP Support

^^Only after i got the unlock process completed.
Old 15th October 2010, 10:59   #2409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachin26 View Post
Currently I got the APN setting done through unlock.nz but it allow only once. I have tried to do it again as I want to use the MTNL 3G card with APN setting for MTNL but it stopped me saying I have one profile already activated.
Go to Settings > general > Profile (APN Carrier Settings) > Remove profile.

Only once that is uninstalled, can you put in a new profile from unlockit.
Old 15th October 2010, 12:56   #2410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Go to Settings > general > Profile (APN Carrier Settings) > Remove profile.

Only once that is uninstalled, can you put in a new profile from unlockit.
Tejas, it is not showing any option under Settings > general > Profile (APN Carrier Settings). Thats the reason I am not able to unistall the current profile and create a new profile. Tried doing through Apple confriguation utility as well but it is giving the same message that a profile already exsit and you can't have two profile.
Old 15th October 2010, 13:04   #2411
Team-BHP Support

Can you see the original profile in config utility, if so use the utility tool to delete the same.
Old 15th October 2010, 13:32   #2412
Distinguished - BHPian

Sachin,

Did you have unlockit installed on 3.1.x and then did you upgrade to 4.x.x.? If so, then you will have to reinstall the 4.x.x. and then DO NOT restore from backup but restore as a new phone. Ideal method is to delete unlockit from 3.1.3, back up and then upgrade.
Old 15th October 2010, 13:45   #2413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Whats the problem with iPhone provided maps ? I have used it perfectly, went from Delhi to Amritsar, works everywhere.

I mean, its very good, is mapmyindia any better ?
Tanwar,MMI application is better,as it doesnot need any data connection.it communicates directly with the Satellite,and you can use the maps without SIM too.Also,you get Voice navigation bundled along.
Old 16th October 2010, 10:42   #2414

Quote:
^^Only after i got the unlock process completed.
Thanks, thats means I will also get that Option when I get the official unlock
Old 16th October 2010, 10:45   #2415

Quote:
Can you see the original profile in config utility, if so use the utility tool to delete the same.
No I am not seeing any profile in Config utility

Most Viewed