Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2014, 12:27   #7276
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Has anyone used the forwarding service like Borderlinx to order an iphone 6 directly from the Apple site in USA? Just wanted to know whether it's a feasible option or not. Any views would be helpful. Thanks
Old 13th October 2014, 12:29   #7277
Distinguished - BHPian

@abs182 You would be charged duty on it and would nullify the money saved advantage.
Old 13th October 2014, 12:59   #7278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ911 View Post
I read online that 4G won't work for US imported phones in India due to unsupported band 40 (frequency band used in India for 4G) in those imported handsets, but models from Hong Kong or Singapore support that band. Any of you heard this?
This has really thrown off my plan to get 6+ from US. Now, I'll have to shell 16k more to get it from India.
This was the case with iPhone 5. They've included 11 bands in iPhone 5S and now 16 bands for iPhone 6. I guess, even 5C is also compatible with Airtel 4G Lte bandwidth.
Old 13th October 2014, 14:12   #7279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
US prices are so much cheaper. I ordered online from the US apple store the iPhone 6 plus 128gb. My CC was charged 62k for it. Indian prices are 80500. A cousin will carry it down for me end of november.
Quote:
@abs182 You would be charged duty on it and would nullify the money saved advantage.
Even if he escapes duty by carrying the phone on his person, the phone is not eligible for any warranty / repair in India at any Apple authorized center. This is the main issue with buying phones outside.
Old 13th October 2014, 14:25   #7280
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Even if he escapes duty by carrying the phone on his person, the phone is not eligible for any warranty / repair in India at any Apple authorized center. This is the main issue with buying phones outside.
As of January this year, Apple warrantee and APP is now global - this what i believe to be implemented.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 13th October 2014 at 14:27.
Old 13th October 2014, 14:29   #7281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs182 View Post
Has anyone used the forwarding service like Borderlinx to order an iphone 6 directly from the Apple site in USA? Just wanted to know whether it's a feasible option or not. Any views would be helpful. Thanks
Aramex Shop n Ship is an option I use regularly . They would charge around 7-10% as duty , along with some shipping charges which come to around 25 USD in total

I ordered my phone through Infibeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
From the 5S onwards , all apple devices come with international warranty . Phones bought outside India will qualify for warranty related requirements
Old 13th October 2014, 16:27   #7282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
This was the case with iPhone 5. They've included 11 bands in iPhone 5S and now 16 bands for iPhone 6. I guess, even 5C is also compatible with Airtel 4G Lte bandwidth.

Just checked online and apparently T mobile unlocked version doesn't support 2300 MHz which is the band 40 for airtel's 4G. So I am not sure whether these phones will support 4G here.
Old 13th October 2014, 17:23   #7283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ911 View Post
Just checked online and apparently T mobile unlocked version doesn't support 2300 MHz which is the band 40 for airtel's 4G. So I am not sure whether these phones will support 4G here.
Why do you want to buy an Unlocked Version from T Mobile ? Unless, you want to JB it. Yes, it can be customized for a particular carrier. Apple has done it for China. Well, If you're buying an Unlocked version, it should work fine in India. No idea about JB Phones.
Old 13th October 2014, 18:55   #7284
BHPian

Quote:
Why do you want to buy an Unlocked Version from T Mobile ? Unless, you want to JB it. Yes, it can be customized for a particular carrier. Apple has done it for China. Well, If you're buying an Unlocked version, it should work fine in India. No idea about JB Phones.
Right now, apple just has a contract free (T mobile) phone on its US website, which is its unlocked version. That version doesn't support Band 40 (2300 Mhz) or TDD LTE. Airtel in India is currently only offering 4G LTE on band 40, but they have also invested in FD LTE (1800 Mhz and used widely across the world) along with Vodafone, Idea and Reliance, who have also invested in this band as well. So, not sure what the future of 4G LTE will be in India, but currently only the unsupported Band 40 is used. Maybe in future, when 1800 MHz is used for 4G, the US versions might support it. And I have decided that I'd take my chances with the US model. 16.5 K is way too much difference for me.
Old 13th October 2014, 20:13   #7285
BANNED

Quote:
Why do you want to buy an Unlocked Version from T Mobile ? Unless, you want to JB it.
Unlocking and Jailbreaking are 2 totally different, unrelated things.
A smartphone has 2 parts
1. A Computer
2. A Phone

Jailbreaking is related to the Computer in your smartphone - it's also called rooting.

Unlocking is related to the Phone in your smartphone.
Old 13th October 2014, 20:35   #7286
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This was the case with iPhone 5. They've included 11 bands in iPhone 5S and now 16 bands for iPhone 6. I guess, even 5C is also compatible with Airtel 4G Lte bandwidth
Last Generation were not compatible ( my personal experience with 5S ) so I bought one locally as we get coverage in Chandigarh & some parts of Punjab , will check on Iphone 6 ( US one ) tomorrow and update .
Old 13th October 2014, 21:48   #7287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Unlocking and Jailbreaking are 2 totally different, unrelated things.
A smartphone has 2 parts
1. A Computer
2. A Phone

Jailbreaking is related to the Computer in your smartphone - it's also called rooting.

Unlocking is related to the Phone in your smartphone.
JB-ing is freeing your phone iOS and unlocking is freeing your phone's modem or baseband I.e. wireless carrier. Generally software unlock involves JB-ing the phone first whereas hardware unlock can be done without JB-ing the phone!
Old 14th October 2014, 10:27   #7288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I got both Gold & Space Grey at launch , though colours are matter of personal choice , I think Gold really outshines everything else in this model . Will suggest you to see Gold in person before picking space grey .
Completely agree.

The space gray in 6 is not that good as it is in 5s. In my opinion, Gold is the best of the colors for iPhone 6.
Old 14th October 2014, 12:39   #7289
BHPian

Quote:
As of January this year, Apple warrantee and APP is now global - this what i believe to be implemented.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post

From the 5S onwards , all apple devices come with international warranty . Phones bought outside India will qualify for warranty related requirements
This is still a grey area, I did checked with Apple customer support after iPhone 6 official launch at US and heard the same reply that you need to ship the phone back to the country of purchase on your expense to claim warranty.
Will be happy to hear if other wise, hence can you share some solid evidence / or a communication from apple for the benefit of our members?
Cheers!
Old 14th October 2014, 18:02   #7290
BANNED

How often do we need service in warranty - almost never so why bother.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks