Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2015, 15:18   #7531
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Thanks a lot! I have very few pictures edited using the in-built features. How can I roll-back the changes?
go to that picture in your iDevice > Edit > Revert > Revert to Original

ta da!

Last edited by IronH4WK : 2nd February 2015 at 15:29.
Old 3rd February 2015, 20:14   #7532
BHPian

If anyone has purchased a case and screen guard for the iphone 6 plus, kindly do share the link and feedback. I was thinking I should get a flip case to protect the screen from falls on sharp objects or put in some kind of gorilla screen guard that will prevent shatter or cracks.
Old 3rd February 2015, 21:18   #7533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
If anyone has purchased a case and screen guard for the iphone 6 plus, kindly do share the link and feedback. I was thinking I should get a flip case to protect the screen from falls on sharp objects or put in some kind of gorilla screen guard that will prevent shatter or cracks.

I ordered by case from here They do ship to India http://www.senacases.com/

On screen guard , you can opt for the tempered glass screenguard sold at Apple stores. Costs around 1.7K INR but worth it. I dropped my phone a couple of times and it's only the guard that got a crack unlike my 4S which had a shattered front screen on the first fall it had from the same height
Old 3rd February 2015, 22:37   #7534
Senior - BHPian

I never used a smart phone till date but now feel the need for it. I use a basic Nokia Asha. Where else to turn to but here for advice :-) This will also be my first time with a touch screen. Is 5C from Amazon available at 23k a good choice? I use an iMac. I believe this bluetooth keyboard is compatible. Is it true? Does the phone come preloaded with Hipstamatic or do I have to buy it?
Old 4th February 2015, 15:26   #7535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
I never used a smart phone till date but now feel the need for it. I use a basic Nokia Asha. Where else to turn to but here for advice :-) This will also be my first time with a touch screen. Is 5C from Amazon available at 23k a good choice? I use an iMac. I believe this bluetooth keyboard is compatible. Is it true? Does the phone come preloaded with Hipstamatic or do I have to buy it?
Err... iMac as in? The one with CRT and colored transparent back? Which version of Mac OS, Preview app and iTunes app are you running?

My wife was in the same situation - I just moved her to an iPhone 4 32GB (my old phone; I moved to an iPhone 6 in December).

* The 5C offer is not really worth it since it has 8GB memory, which you are likely to fill up in no time, and there is no external memory. Memory gets filled with pics and videos before one realizes, though you could make it a habit of transferring them to your iMac periodically

* See if you can get a 4S instead - should cost you ~17-18K. Or an iPhone 5 32GB at around 20K+ (the 5c is the same as the 5, but with a colored back cover). 5S is still more than 37K - hasn't really become cheaper

* Hipstamatic doesn't come preloaded - it is an app that one can buy/download from the App Store
Old 4th February 2015, 16:15   #7536
Senior - BHPian

I have two iMacs actually :-) One is about eight years old and believe it or not it still works though without upgrade support for the OS for a long time now. The other is about a year old with Yosemite - I just did the latest update a couple of days ago. I have no idea what version of Preview and iTunes I have there (I am responding from the office Dell and can't check right away). But they must be the latest. My hardware doesn't have a transparent back but it is white. I have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse.
I had read in other places too that 8GB is not enough because out of that effectively you get only 5GB. But 37K for a phone is still not even within the realm of fantasy for me. I was not looking at 4S because I believe they cannot run the latest iOS (please correct me on this if I am wrong). And being the owner of an older generation iMac I know how painful it is to have a machine that cannot run the latest software.
I believe if I do go for the 5C I would have to live with storage in the hard drive of the computer. Since I am in the Mac environment that might be easier for me also. I do understand that videos take up lot of memories.
But I am more worried about the transition from Qwerty keyboard to touchscreen. Do you think that's a big deal? I believe I have to - today or tomorrow. Just wanted to understand how tough it is.
Old 4th February 2015, 16:33   #7537
BHPian

Quote:
I believe if I do go for the 5C I would have to live with storage in the hard drive of the computer. Since I am in the Mac environment that might be easier for me also. I do understand that videos take up lot of memories.
But I am more worried about the transition from Qwerty keyboard to touchscreen. Do you think that's a big deal? I believe I have to - today or tomorrow. Just wanted to understand how tough it is.
I used to have a BB till about a year back, and was a BB user for solid 9 years. Am on Iphone 5S since then. It's not too difficult to change over, and overall you will appreciate the larger screen and better graphics. But you will miss the touch keys for some time and the Iphone predictive text can be quite irritating when you start using it. Sometimes it is easier to get accustomed to the typing if you do it in landscape mode, so that the letters are spaced out.
Old 4th February 2015, 16:54   #7538
BHPian

Quote:
I have two iMacs actually :-)
I had read in other places too that 8GB is not enough because out of that effectively you get only 5GB. But 37K for a phone is still not even within the realm of fantasy for me. I was not looking at 4S because I believe they cannot run the latest iOS (please correct me on this if I am wrong). And being the owner of an older generation iMac I know how painful it is to have a machine that cannot run the latest software.
I believe if I do go for the 5C I would have to live with storage in the hard drive of the computer. Since I am in the Mac environment that might be easier for me also..
4s supports ios8 but with a lot of exclusions.
Opt for the 5S atleast and with a 32 GB capacity,since the phone would be upgradeable for the next 3 years.

If you are comfortable with the EMi option, go for it. Vodafone has EMI options for 5S/6/6 Plus. Don't look at the final cost. All high end smartphones are expensive.
Old 4th February 2015, 18:00   #7539
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
......I am more worried about the transition from Qwerty keyboard to touchscreen. Do you think that's a big deal? I believe I have to - today or tomorrow. Just wanted to understand how tough it is.
I'd recommend you try out typing on a touchscreen phone before you spend serious money. I'm a QWERTY aficionado myself, and I'm still not totally comfortable with my S3 (after nearly 2 years). No auto-correct (however smart) will ever match actual tactile typing, esp. if you type a lot (emails, texts, IM etc.). I'm moving back to a hardware QWERTY when I change phones next.

On that note, if you aren't averse to Blackberry, try out the Q5. Decent specs, has a QWERTY in addition to the touchscreen and has a mid-range price tag (~14k on Flipkart last I checked). The OS has made a huge leap with BB 10 and has also removed the dependency on expensive BB Internet plans, I believe. Any decent data plan works well with BB now.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 4th February 2015 at 18:02.
Old 4th February 2015, 18:14   #7540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I'd recommend you try out typing on a touchscreen phone before you spend serious money. I'm a QWERTY aficionado myself, and I'm still not totally comfortable with my S3 (after nearly 2 years). No auto-correct (however smart) will ever match actual tactile typing, esp. if you type a lot (emails, texts, IM etc.). I'm moving back to a hardware QWERTY when I change phones next.

On that note, if you aren't averse to Blackberry, try out the Q5. Decent specs, has a QWERTY in addition to the touchscreen and has a mid-range price tag (~14k on Flipkart last I checked). The OS has made a huge leap with BB 10 and has also removed the dependency on expensive BB Internet plans, I believe. Any decent data plan works well with BB now.
I too support this view. If you are a phone user with keys, don't jump into latest smartphone ,untill you go through a keyboard + touch option phone.

I've seen my parents and many aged people struggle to make a call on emergency situations or answer call in latest gizmos, as 90% of their life they were used to the keyboard based telephones (be it landline or mobile).

For us it may be a 10 minute learning period, but for them it takes lots of patience and time.

Unless you are an addict to social network,very high MP camera,browsing and other stuff, a simple and easy to use phone is far far better.

Last edited by mykal shoemaker : 4th February 2015 at 18:19.
Old 4th February 2015, 20:07   #7541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
a simple and easy to use phone is far far better.
I have always believed in this and have steadfastly resisted to go the smartphone way so far in life. But now I find that basic phones are really bad phones. They don't make good quality basic phones any more, it seems. Or perhaps we have become more demanding. A high end BB is not a bad idea but being an Apple fan since the iPod launch days, I thought I would rather go the iPhone way than BB - whose future as a technology leader is under cloud, if not its very existence. Remember Palm ?!?

Also I think the convergence of various gadgets into one has reached a certain stable level. A National Geographic has just come out with its first ever cover photograph taken with an iPhone. So, I am wondering whether it is time to jump into the bandwagon.

Thanks for all your inputs friends. I couldn't thank everyone individually but I do appreciate all the thoughts.
Old 9th February 2015, 06:19   #7542
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also I think the convergence of various gadgets into one has reached a certain stable level. A National Geographic has just come out with its first ever cover photograph taken with an iPhone. So, I am wondering whether it is time to jump into the bandwagon.
I agree with the viewpoints you have expressed. Atleast for me, the iPhone camera has to an extent negated the need to carry around a digicam. In fact, most pics on this thread of mine (Travelogue) were clicked using my iPhone. This is in addition to using the phone for navigation during trips, as well as the regular emails, FB, WhatsApp, apps etc.

And yes, do try to buy a device with atleast 32GBs of storage.
Old 9th February 2015, 16:18   #7543
BHPian

The 5S is available on amazon.in at a good price now: esp. the 32GB one which isn't easy to spot at stores in the city.
Old 9th February 2015, 18:51   #7544
Senior - BHPian

How do I enable data services on my iphone 5. Carrier is bsnl.
Old 9th February 2015, 19:34   #7545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
How do I enable data services on my iphone 5. Carrier is bsnl.
If you are prepaid, you got to purchase the data pack from portal.bsnl.in

If you are postpaid, I am unsure and am guessing you got to speak to a BSNL aunty or visit the customer support centers and get it done.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks