Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2018, 10:40   #11506
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
Hi All, I am planning to get iphone xs max from dubai. I can see there is a significant difference in cost when i am buying from outside vs apple store in dubai. Is there a significant advantage of buying it from apple store?
Whats the price difference you are getting? Even I am in Dubai next month,and the itch to replace my iPhone 7 has started.
Old 16th November 2018, 10:53   #11507
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
If you are getting from any of the large electronic store, ask them for the international version, which is a non AE version. It will have Facetime.
Unless it is imported (grey type) piece there is no international version. Grey piece is fine since apple warranty will not be affected.
Old 16th November 2018, 18:16   #11508
bhp
BHPian

Guys.

Need inputs and suggestions with regarding my Iphone X.

My phones under warranty and since a few months the WiFi on the phone wouldn't work.

I submitted the phone to the apple service center here in Mumbai and they detected a problem and decided to send the device to bangalore for repairs/replacement.

My phone is in factory condition and never ever had any problem earlier.

Now Apple has so far refused to repair or replace the phone under warranty stating that i have done modifications to their hardware which has caused non working of the WiFi issue.

When asked to send me a report of the findings and its purpose, they are unable to do so.

The phone was bought and now given for repairs to the same apple store. I doubt they have played some mischief. Either when i have given them the phone or was sold a tampered phone.

I have never ever handed the phone for any kind of repairs earlier so this is coming as a strange surprise to me now. When given the phone to the service center, they would have checked everything and accepted the phone. Since all seals and Screws were intact on the phone.

They are trying to put wrong allegations and deny repairs/replacement which is very disappointing. Its been around 18 days already with no positive outcome. The phone is travelling to and forth the service center in Mumbai and Bangalore.

Have escalated the matter at Apple support and waiting for their positive response.

Please suggest if anyone has faced such a issue earlier and a likely resolution for the same.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by bhp : 16th November 2018 at 18:19.
Old 16th November 2018, 19:25   #11509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
Hi All, I am planning to get iphone xs max from dubai. I can see there is a significant difference in cost when i am buying from outside vs apple store in dubai. Is there a significant advantage of buying it from apple store?
If you buy from the airport duty free you will get the international version with FaceTime. Just ensure you pay them on arrival for collection on return as that version is only available in outbound duty free, and availability there is always an issue. Hence suggest booking and paying at inbound for collection on return.

Else but online like most of us do - Souq.com or noon.com
Old 16th November 2018, 22:48   #11510
Distinguished - BHPian

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/new...0?via=whatsapp

The above link is a report of an iPhoneX that went up in flames in Washington...

...and below is a troll (already!!)

The iPhone Thread-screenshot_20181116224620_whatsapp.jpg
Old 17th November 2018, 07:01   #11511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
Whats the price difference you are getting?
About 400 AED plus accessories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
If you buy from the airport duty free you will get the international version with FaceTime. Just ensure you pay them on arrival for collection on return as that version is only available in outbound duty free, and availability there is always an issue. Hence suggest booking and paying at inbound for collection on return.

Else but online like most of us do - Souq.com or noon.com
Duty free option sounds confusing. Need to explore online options.
Old 17th November 2018, 07:10   #11512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp View Post
Have escalated the matter at Apple support and waiting for their positive response.
Thanks in advance.
Try to get a call back from Apple. I had an issue of 3D touch not working on my Apple watch. This happened on the very last day of warranty The next day when I went to the Apple service center for repair, as expected they told me that the warranty is over. However, I opened up a case through Apple support website and got a call back from a senior Apple person in Singapore. I explained my situation to him and he helped me get a replacement from Apple India.
Old 17th November 2018, 10:52   #11513
BHPian

Quote:
Please suggest if anyone has faced such a issue earlier and a likely resolution for the same.
I had Apple care from US and had an issue with audio sound quality. Went to exchange the phone but was denied because their systems wrongly showed my serial number as to be in their stores as a returned device. It was a data entry error and due to which my return was denied. I tried multiple times in the US in California, Illinois and India too. I spoke to their support from Singapore and they admitted it was a data entry mistake. They were also denying that there was an audio issue. I told them people can't hear me but they wouldn't agree. I threatened to break the phone in their store so I can get replacement for accidental breakage and then they agreed to give me a replacement. Asked me to wait a week for a replacement but I was heading to India. Came back, sold the phone and am never going back to Apple again. Inspite of paying 1150$ for a top of the line phone (then) with Apple care, I was denied and this turned me away from their platform, after 9 years of owning their products.
Old 17th November 2018, 12:18   #11514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
. I threatened to break the phone in their store so I can get replacement for accidental breakage and then they agreed to give me a replacement.
I got a replacement with no questions asked when I complained of audio quality - they simply verified whether the device was under warranty, did a hardware test on the spot at the store and said my phone is showing registration in 73 networks (I travel a bit) so maybe resetting network settings will work. Tried that and told them I still wasn’t happy and they replaced it on the spot.

It mostly depends on how you approach them - they tend to get defensive with aggressive customers. Am not implying that you were, but replacement at Apple stores is the most trouble-free of experiences - most often you only have to say you’re not happy with the device. I later swapped that brand new X for an XS and got full value in exchange.

A bit of chatting up and giving them the impression of a pleasant customer with a genuine issue generally helps. Dramatic complaints tend to throw them off balance - I don’t think they are trained to handle emotions. I was in the queue at Union Square and watched another Indian gentleman shouting loudly about his hard earned money and how he was being taken for a ride etc. When my turn came up, I saw in the advisors eyes a slight panic and an involuntary defensive posture, so I chatted the guy up a bit and made him feel at ease before I broached my problem. I didn’t even have an appointment - I walked in because I saw the store while wandering around SFO.

Last edited by Steeroid : 17th November 2018 at 12:25.
Old 17th November 2018, 13:06   #11515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Facetime call and video would be disabled, apart from this, no cons. Now that international warranty is valid in India also. As long as it is genuine no cons from buying outside also, just ensure they are not carrier locked sets.
Facetime would be disabled even if an iphone XS/XS max or for that matter any iphone bought from USA and being used in India?(I am talking about phones bought from carriers like Tmobile/ATT).
Or its just that UAE does not have facetime available hence an iphone bought from UAE will not have facetime?
Old 17th November 2018, 13:27   #11516
BHPian

Quote:
Guys.

Need inputs and suggestions with regarding my Iphone X.

This is unusual for Apple Service. I have been having an excellent experience with Nyasa, earlier at Sion now at Prabhadevi, from my iPhone 5 days. " Altered hardware" should have been pointed out at the first instance, when the service centre took it in their folds.They do open and check if any water damage or visible alterations have been done and then only accept it.
If they still insist on taking this stand, claim that they have altered it once it was submitted, else the job sheet should have mentioned it. Take it up with Apple India/US, stating that inspite of having a clear/clean job sheet, back end is falsely giving false information to reject claim. Go on the offensive at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
Or its just that UAE does not have facetime available hence an iphone bought from UAE will not have facetime?

Only phone made for UAE are facetime disabled ( with no scope of enabling them later).
Even phone with Facetime active, don't work if you are visiting UAE. It works once you are out of their.
Old 17th November 2018, 14:52   #11517
bhp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
This is unusual for Apple Service. I have been having an excellent experience with Nyasa, earlier at Sion now at Prabhadevi, from my iPhone 5 days. " Altered hardware" should have been pointed out at the first instance, when the service centre took it in their folds.They do open and check if any water damage or visible alterations have been done and then only accept it.
If they still insist on taking this stand, claim that they have altered it once it was submitted, else the job sheet should have mentioned it. Take it up with Apple India/US, stating that inspite of having a clear/clean job sheet, back end is falsely giving false information to reject claim. Go on the offensive at this point.
I have had good experience with Unicorn Andheri west in the past since iPhone5 times. They have replaced phones multiple times when something wasn't right. But this time something is not right.

I have informed of all you have mentioned to the Apple customer support and they have promised to reply on the same by Tuesday.

The job sheet doesn't have any comments of hardware damage and neither any water damage.

Just hoping for a positive result soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I had Apple care from US and had an issue with audio sound quality. Went to exchange the phone but was denied because their systems wrongly showed my serial number as to be in their stores as a returned device. It was a data entry error and due to which my return was denied. I tried multiple times in the US in California, Illinois and India too. I spoke to their support from Singapore and they admitted it was a data entry mistake. They were also denying that there was an audio issue. I told them people can't hear me but they wouldn't agree. I threatened to break the phone in their store so I can get replacement for accidental breakage and then they agreed to give me a replacement. Asked me to wait a week for a replacement but I was heading to India. Came back, sold the phone and am never going back to Apple again. Inspite of paying 1150$ for a top of the line phone (then) with Apple care, I was denied and this turned me away from their platform, after 9 years of owning their products.
That is a very unfortunate incident.

Have heard from many other sources, apple service isn't as good as earlier days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Try to get a call back from Apple. I had an issue of 3D touch not working on my Apple watch. This happened on the very last day of warranty The next day when I went to the Apple service center for repair, as expected they told me that the warranty is over. However, I opened up a case through Apple support website and got a call back from a senior Apple person in Singapore. I explained my situation to him and he helped me get a replacement from Apple India.

I am in touch with a senior executive from Apple support in Singapore who will reply by Tuesday. Hoping a positive solution.
Old 20th November 2018, 11:34   #11518
BHPian

Has anyone gone in for a voluntary battery change under Apple's current lower battery prices schemes?

My 2 year old iPhone 7 battery capacity now stands at 85% with "Normal Peak Performance" supported. However, as the price of the battery will increase at the end of this year, I plan to change the battery now (I plan to use the phone for a year and then hand it over to my father). This change of battery should add a couple of years to the life of this phone which is in great shape in terms of performance at this moment.
Old 20th November 2018, 11:38   #11519
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by feluda86 View Post
Has anyone gone in for a voluntary battery change under Apple's current lower battery prices schemes?
I did a few months back; the Battery Health indicator showed the same on my phone (85%).

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Got the battery replacement done yesterday for my 6. Luckily the battery was in stock so gave my phone at 1 and got it back at 4. Cost: 2k.

I've been contemplating a new phone for a while now; considering my phone is 3.5 years old. However, some recent discussion prompted me to keep this phone until 5G phones are out. Hence, the decision to get the battery replaced.

With a new battery and a hard reset, the phone is as good as new.
Old 20th November 2018, 11:46   #11520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I did a few months back; the Battery Health indicator showed the same on my phone (85%).
Great! Were you asked to flash your phone/take a back up before you went in for the change?

I have a lot of data (100+ GB of it) on the phone. Getting all of them back from a backup will take a significant amount of time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks