Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2021, 04:38   #13951
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Just 60 gigs of photos. So since I had back-up, deleted it all.
I highly doubt it. I am assuming yours is a 128gb and so 60gb isnt enough for a warning. I have a 256gb iPhone 12 Pro Max and only 40gb of it is free and I have never gotten any warning what so ever.

It might be an icloud warning of some sort? As for slowdown, I dont even remember the last time my phone dropped a frame in an animation let alone slow down. My wife's XS is running as good as it was on day 1 one as well.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 05:42   #13952
BHPian

It's good to see the iphone vs android debate during the new iphone launch period. I was using an iPhone 12 till last month and switched to s21 ultra. The main reason I switched was, I dropped the iphone twice and back is shattered. There is no repair option even in authorised service centres. Also I live in a tier 2 city, Hosur. The nearest service centre for me is Bangalore. It's an 1.5 hrs trip one way. The iphone if at all I dropped for repairs , I won't get it in a day or two. On the other hand, I saw samsung service centre doing display replacement in 6 hours and handing the phone back in the same day. Service centre is 15 mins away from my home. This was the main reason I switched. On the argument for updates, I would say Samsung is there almost. My mom's 2 yrs old M30 is still getting updates and working fine. My s21u got September update already. Unless apple fixes the service centre scenario here, I won't be switching back to apple.
sairamboko is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 12:01   #13953
BHPian

I’ll agree that Apple authorised 3rd party resellers and service centres are patchy at best in their service and support. The store in Gurgaon flat out refused to order my 12 pro max saying 512gb doesn’t have any demand and he won’t be getting any stock, this despite me offering an advance. The other store told me they’ll order it but there’s no guarantee when it’ll come (this was a month after launch) saying it can take upto 3-4 weeks and he wanted some 50k in advance payment. I ended up ordering it online directly from Apple, smooth experience.

When I went to buy the 12 mini for my mum, they don’t even greet you properly at the store, no smile, nobody walks up to ask what you’re looking for, nothing and the store was completely empty with 3 bored employees just standing there. Even after I bought it the cashier just threw it at me, no bag, again no smile. This isn’t how you treat customers, if you want them to come back. In company owned Apple stores, the service is absolutely stellar with very well trained employees who are a joy to deal with. Hopefully Apple will start direct offline sales in India just like they’ve done online.
AJ56 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 14:09   #13954
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys. Can you suggest a good wireless charger for my iPhone 12 mini? I’m not too inclined to go for Apple mag charger. I find it a bit too expensive. Any alternate reliable wireless chargers you think would fit my 12?
Old 19th September 2021, 14:35   #13955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Hi Guys. Can you suggest a good wireless charger for my iPhone 12 mini? I’m not too inclined to go for Apple mag charger. I find it a bit too expensive. Any alternate reliable wireless chargers you think would fit my 12?
I am using a Choetech Magsafe wireless charger which I got cheap - abount $10 AUD. Its pretty good quality and even triggers the same charging animation as the original Apple Magsafe charger.

https://choetech.com/collections/all...32352498319415
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 19:01   #13956
Senior - BHPian

Another iPhone release followed by same old discussion on how overpriced they are without any substantial upgrades but still we end up seeing people queuing up to grab one year after year. Mind blowing to see how desirable the brand is among general public.

Anyways among all this I was interested to see the price cut for 12 now. I see on flipkart, 12(64GB) can be had for INR60.8k & 12 mini for INR54k(with Flipkart axis bank credit card discount). Is it a good price or should I wait for some sale during upcoming festive season? Am in no hurry and can wait for a month or two. TIA
SoumenD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 11:27   #13957
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Another iPhone release followed by same old discussion on how overpriced they are without any substantial upgrades but still we end up seeing people queuing up to grab one year after year. Mind blowing to see how desirable the brand is among general public.

Anyways among all this I was interested to see the price cut for 12 now. I see on flipkart, 12(64GB) can be had for INR60.8k & 12 mini for INR54k(with Flipkart axis bank credit card discount). Is it a good price or should I wait for some sale during upcoming festive season? Am in no hurry and can wait for a month or two. TIA
Am not sure if this helps you, but I placed order for iPhone 13 256GB on flipkart, got 9k for iPhone 7, 6k instant discount on HDFC credit card and 3K discount on EMI. Effective price is 72k. Which I felt is great deal on the newest phone in the market.
Old 21st September 2021, 12:51   #13958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
On the argument for updates, I would say Samsung is there almost. My mom's 2 yrs old M30 is still getting updates and working fine. My s21u got September update already.
Yesterday at 10:30PM, my iPhone 6S which is a 6 generations old device got iOS 15 along with my wife's iPhone 12 mini bought some 6 months ago. No hiccups, no stutters its works as good as before.

When I was using the Oneplus 7, it got Android 10 a month after Google released it, got Android 11 after more than 6 months with a truck load of bugs. And Oneplus supposedly are ahead of the pack in the Android updates scene.

Quote:
I think it is worth waiting for the Big Billion days sale. Usually Flipkart gives good discounts on iPhones. Just make sure you grab em on the first day itself as they reduce the discounts as days go by.

Last edited by civic-sense : 21st September 2021 at 12:55.
civic-sense is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 12:54   #13959
BHPian

Quote:
Anyways among all this I was interested to see the price cut for 12 now. I see on flipkart, 12(64GB) can be had for INR60.8k & 12 mini for INR54k(with Flipkart axis bank credit card discount).
Just one suggestion. 64GB is way too less provided you use this a spare phone for calls only. Otherwise it is insufficient.
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 13:19   #13960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Yesterday at 10:30PM, my iPhone 6S which is a 6 generations old device got iOS 15 along with my wife's iPhone 12 mini bought some 6 months ago. No hiccups, no stutters its works as good as before.
Likewise updated my iPhone SE to iOS 15. No issues. Everything working well. So decided to put off upgrading my phone for another year.
Old 21st September 2021, 14:17   #13961
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...Oneplus supposedly are ahead of the pack in the Android updates scene...
'Were'. Samsung have caught up majorly in the last couple years. Not Pixel quick (nobody will be) but not much behind. OnePlus have gone completely backwards.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 21st September 2021 at 14:23.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 15:44   #13962
BHPian

Quote:
I’d say wait for the sale offers to start during the Diwali period, also would highly recommend you get the 13 over the 12 (assuming you’re talking about non pro’s), as it has a faster chip, a larger battery, better camera’s and most importantly has 800 nits of screen brightness over the 12’s 600 nits. The difference is massive (my 12 pro max has the same 800 nits and my mums 12 mini is at 600 nits), specially during daytime.
Old 22nd September 2021, 08:08   #13963
BHPian

Quote:

When I was using the Oneplus 7, it got Android 10 a month after Google released it, got Android 11 after more than 6 months with a truck load of bugs. And Oneplus supposedly are ahead of the pack in the Android updates scene.
I totally agree on this 100%! Updates are seamless and at the same time all over the world. My office's iphone XR has got the updates on time. Like I said, once apple has a better support in place for repairs, I will jump back to iphone again. I was using iphones for the past 2 years and no complaints.

A question to all on dual sim handling. In my S21 Ultra, the messages and calls are sorted neatly and displays whether the message came to Sim 1 or 2. When i used dual sim briefly in ios, it was too confusing for me. Messages were mixed up and didnt know whether it was from sim 1 or 2. Similarly for calls. Any suggestions to fix this or this is how its designed?
Old 22nd September 2021, 08:42   #13964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
'Were'. Samsung have caught up majorly in the last couple years. Not Pixel quick (nobody will be) but not much behind. OnePlus have gone completely backwards.
I am not sure what you mean by catch up. The day 1 updates are only for google Pixel's. Samung's are often few months further. The other is the quantum of updates - you may get two major Android updates or 3 if you are lucky which is not even close to what Apple offers with the iPhone.

One thing I like about Android updates is that often times you can update the core app even though you cannot update the OS itself and one thing I really hate about iPhone updates are how some of the new features are disabled in older devices sometimes, by the looks of it, without rhyme or reason.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 22nd September 2021 at 08:47.
Old 22nd September 2021, 09:04   #13965
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I am not sure what you mean by catch up. The day 1 updates are only for google Pixel's. Samung's are often few months further. The other is the quantum of updates - you may get two major Android updates or 3 if you are lucky which is not even close to what Apple offers with the iPhone..
The comment (and comparison) in that response was about the two Android options. Apple are in a different league altogether w.r.t. updates, no comparison.

To my point earlier, Samsung used to lag by months during their previous heavy UI iterations (Samsung Experience and TouchWiz). With OneUI, they're nimbler (OneUI 4 based on Android 12 is already out on public beta on the flagships). OnePlus, on the other hand, are still struggling to stabilize/troubleshoot Android 11 on most devices, and some of the older eligible devices only recently got their first stable build release, far from their heydays when OxygenOS was the quickest behind the Pixels with updates. A company that's truly lost its way, unfortunately.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 22nd September 2021 at 09:56. Reason: Typo
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks