Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2021, 09:46   #13966
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
The comment (and comparison) in that response was about the two Android options. Apple are in a different league altogether w.r.t. updates, no comparison.

To my point earlier, Samsung used to lag by months during their previous heavy UI iterations (Samsung Experience and TouchWiz). With OneUI, they're nimbler (OneUI 4 based on Android 12 is already out on public beta on the flagships). OnePlus, on the other hand, are still struggling to stabilize/troubleshoot Android 11 on most devices, and some of the older eligible devices only recently got their first stable build release, far from their heydays when OxygenOS was the quickest behind the Pixels with updates. A company that's truly lost its way, unfortunately.
My bad. I jumped the gun. I wish if the Android makers did not put their skin on top and left it as it is especially with the Android 12 which looks pretty slick but then I guess differentiation is hard in the Android world so they have to.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 22nd September 2021 at 09:56. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 22nd September 2021, 10:06   #13967
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, any suggestion for iphone with small form factor ? This is for someone who has a Nokia 6.1 plus which is compact and fits perfectly in hand. Do not want the big 6 inch plus screens. I am a noob in iPhone world . Thanks

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 22nd September 2021 at 10:08.
Old 22nd September 2021, 10:09   #13968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Guys, any suggestion for iphone with small form factor ? This is for someone who has a Nokia 6.1 plus which is compact and fits perfectly in hand. Do not want the big 6 inch plus screens. I am a noob in iPhone world . Thanks
iPhone 12 mini or upcoming 13 mini are the compact ones from Apple.
amvj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 10:17   #13969
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Apart from the mini series already suggested which have a 5.4" screen, do check out the iPhone 11, 12 or 13 which are only slightly bigger. Since the iphones are wider than Android phones, the length is less than an average Android phone.

If you need something even smaller, then iPhone SE is 4.7".
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 10:30   #13970
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
iPhone 12 mini or upcoming 13 mini are the compact ones from Apple.
I think the 12 mini is perfectly sized. Will check further

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Apart from the mini series already suggested which have a 5.4" screen, do check out the iPhone 11, 12 or 13 which are only slightly bigger. Since the iphones are wider than Android phones, the length is less than an average Android phone.

If you need something even smaller, then iPhone SE is 4.7".
Thanks will check the 11,12 and 13 as well.

iPhone SE looks pretty old with those thick bezels at top and bottom.
Old 22nd September 2021, 14:43   #13971
BHPian

I am also looking b/w 12 & 13 as an upgrade from my 11 (64GB).

The expected price of iPhone 12 in Flipkart sale is going to be around 60k. This is for the 64 GB variant. For the 128 GB, it may be around 65k.

However the iPhone 13 with 128 GB is 80k. With the ongoing HDFC bank offer of 6k off, the price comes down to 74k.

64 GB is nowhere enough with even the basic apps going close to GB levels. 128 will also be just sufficient by 2-3 years useage.

With only ~10k difference, it might make more sense to go for iPhone 13.
car_addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 17:46   #13972
BHPian

Quote:
In my suggestion you should skip iphone 11 and SE. Both use LCD screen and now almost every manufacturer gives AMOLED screen across the price range. I am using the iphone 11. It has big bezels all around. The quality of LCD is very good but it can not match AMOLED. I would suggest you go for iphone 12 or 13. Initial investment will be definitely higher but iphones last longer compared to android.
PS: I may switch to android this year or next because of lack of live truecaller and missing "call recording" feature in iphone.
sagpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 17:49   #13973
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
In my suggestion you should skip iphone 11 and SE. Both use LCD screen and now almost every manufacturer gives AMOLED screen across the price range.
There have been a few instances of people suffering from PWM caused by the OLED screens so just a point to consider.

My wife has to replace her phone and although I've been considering the 12/12 Mini, I might for 11 just because of this issue - knowing it is two generations old already.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 19:05   #13974
BHPian

If I were to buy an iPhone now, I wouldn't even look at anything before the 12. Well, if you have issues with PWM you don't have a lot of options, do you?

The 11 and the XR are the worst phones to buy at the moment because of its thick side bezels and the heft, but PWM sufferers are out of luck here.

If you want a compact screen and don't have the money to spend on a 12 mini, only then even consider the SE. Honestly speaking the SE screen is too small for today's content.

I think the 12's prices would go down during the diwali sales and the 12 (regular) would be the one to get notwithstanding it's small battery and larger notch.
Old 22nd September 2021, 20:32   #13975
BHPian

After iOS 15 update, there seems to an issue with Google Maps when screened via Apple Carplay. In my case, it shows only direction arrows and no path.
P.S. Google Map application on my phone is up to date.

Name:  A654DEDDC06A4A759CEE823560F2B948.png
Views: 218
Size:  101.2 KB

Name:  8039F4BA052E48A290D65A08C866DD04.png
Views: 210
Size:  101.9 KB
Old 22nd September 2021, 20:55   #13976
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
The quality of LCD is very good but it can not match AMOLED.
My experience with OLED screens was back in 2014-15 where I was using a Nokia 735. This was before switching to iPhone SE. There were several reported issues with OLED screens including violet tinting, dead pixels, etc. Basically they weren't very long lasting. I never had this issue, and the screen still looks gorgeous.

Is AMOLED very different from the OLED screens? and are the old issues solved?
Old 22nd September 2021, 21:07   #13977
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Look at the regular one. You will be comfortable. I tried both last year and returned back the mini ( In Canada ) If you can save a bit, go with the latest - 13.
Old 22nd September 2021, 23:33   #13978
BHPian

Next year's iphone is said to get rid of the notch. So I'd want to hold on to my 6S for another year, if am able to resist the temptation of diwali sales. 6S is quite old and small, but then my primary phone is a Moto edge 20.
Old 23rd September 2021, 06:16   #13979
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

will check the 11,12 and 13 as well.
As Turbnator mentioned above, go with the latest (13) if budget permits. The camera updates, and more importantly the battery will be the key differentiators. I am on iPhone mini, and the battery is the only bit I felt as slightly inadequate. It sails through a normal day but on days with longer screen-time a quick shot of charge is required around 3pm.

The 11 really is not worth the money in 2021.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Look at the regular one. You will be comfortable. I tried both last year and returned back the mini ( In Canada )
I love the form-factor of the mini. My girl is on the regular 12 and I moved to 12 mini from an 11 pro. I hope Apple keep the mini range for the next iteration as well; if a mini pro happens that will be brilliant
Old 23rd September 2021, 07:11   #13980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Next year's iphone is said to get rid of the notch. So I'd want to hold on to my 6S for another year, if am able to resist the temptation of diwali sales. 6S is quite old and small, but then my primary phone is a Moto edge 20.
I dont think they will be able to get rid of the notch even next year because there's just so much technology in there. Apple is reportedly working on an under screen touch id technology which will replace face id and unlike other's the whole half of the display would be a fingerprint sensor.

Speaking for myself, I dont mind the notch one bit given the convenience of just looking at the phone for bio metric authentication. I also love how the notifications expand out once you look at the phone. A wonderful feature if you dont want people to be able to read your notifications on the lock screen. I will be getting my pre-order 13 pro max tomorrow. Can't wait!
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks