Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2010, 17:13   #691
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailmishra View Post
Hey,

I am planning to order Garmin Nuvi device from US. As per my budget I have selected two 285wt & 265t ($100-$130) . Below is the link from Amazon.

I have following queries.

1. Any ownership reviews on above mentioned model?
2. What all standard accesories is part of the box?
3. Can I buy windshield mount and travel charger in India?
4. Any other item that I may need to buy which is not available part of the box?

Bhpians, Please Help
Answers to your queries:
1. Both 2xx and 2x5 series are good. Read up reviews on Amazon as well as other sites.
2. Windshield mount, dashboard disc, car charger, USB cable are included.
3. You do not need to. A normal wall or car charger with a suitable Blackberry port (which is common nowadays) will suffice.
4. None. Maybe a cover and a screen protector at best.

You could also look at Nuvi 7xx or 7x5 series devices. I picked up a Nuvi 750 (no bluetooth since my Punto has it) from Walmart for USD 150 inclusive of shipping and taxes. The 7xx or 7x5 series has built-in FM transmitter which allows you to play your favourite music through the car's music system.
Old 6th April 2010, 11:01   #692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailmishra View Post
Hey,

I am planning to order Garmin Nuvi device from US. As per my budget I have selected two 285wt & 265t ($100-$130) . Below is the link from Amazon.

285wt
Link:
Amazon.com: Garmin nüvi 285W/285WT 4.3-Inch Widescreen Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator with Traffic: Electronics
Pros :
Its wide screen
Its exactly same as 265wt + MSN Traffic update (No use of it in India)
Its $40 cheap as compare to 265wt

Cons :
Discontinued by Garmin (Do you see any issues with this?)

265t (Its not wide screen, as the wide screen model is out of my budget)
Link:
Amazon.com: Garmin nüvi 265/265T 3.5-Inch Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator with Traffic: Electronics

Pros:
Not a discontinued model
Cons:
Its not a wide screen model.

I am inclined towards 285wt as its wide screen and relatively cheaper as compared to 265wt just because its discontinued now. Also with the fact that I am buying from US, I guess there is hardly any worth of talking about any warranty/support as it will be wiser to buy a new device rather than shipping it to & fro to US for repairs.

I have following queries.

1. Any ownership reviews on above mentioned model?
2. What all standard accesories is part of the box?
3. Can I buy windshield mount and travel charger in India?
4. Any other item that I may need to buy which is not available part of the box?

Bhpians, Please Help

Its advisable to stay away from the discontinued model as you never know why this model was discontinued.

Anyways, warranty is void in India and does make sense to purchase the 285WT despite it being discontinued.

Do look at 205W which is as good as 285/265 but without bluetooth. This cost around USD 111.

Add satnav for Rs. 990 and its VFM !
Old 11th April 2010, 17:30   #693
BHPian

Hi, does anyone on the forum used a Micromax W900 mobile which comes preloaded with Mapmyindia maps and voice guided navigation. Are the maps and voice guided navigation features on the phone are totally free or will we have to pay for the navigation. Anyone having proper information may please guide cos if the maps and navigation are free then the device will be very useful for navigation and can also be used as a standalone navigator. Does any other mobile phone come with proper maps and voice guided navigation feature for India. Please help.
Old 11th April 2010, 17:42   #694
Distinguished - BHPian

If you buy MapMyIndia hardware, it comes with their maps; if you want their maps to load on another device, you have to buy them. Not free!

Their website has all details.
Old 11th April 2010, 19:39   #695
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil View Post
Are the maps and voice guided navigation features on the phone are totally free or will we have to pay for the navigation.
If it is pre loaded as mentioned in the various fora, then the usage would be free. Not sure which version it would be. Upgrade could be charged.

No idea about the Micromax, but I have it in a HTC phone.

If at all you decide to buy, invest in a car charger as the battery could run out fast, though Micromax does mention a 1500mA battery.
Old 12th April 2010, 07:24   #696
BHPian

Folks,

One quick question. Am a newbie to this GPS stuff, but am almost on the verge of purchasing the Garmin nuvi 1300 device (which retails for 109USD in the US). This is a slimmer and supposedly sleeker device but this comes at a slight cost. This does not support SD cards, but instead supports micro-SD cards.

Am planning to purchase the SatNAV maps for Garmin, which is really a steal at the current price (INR 999).

So does this involve a simple copy of the contents of a SatNAV provided SD card into a micro-SD card and then use it in the device or is it something over and above this?
Old 12th April 2010, 10:03   #697
BHPian

Hi!
So I'm trying to decide between SatGuide and MMI for a HTC HD2. I had a look on the MMI site, they have a feature like google maps online. I found that the route it gave me was an extremely long one.
Satguide doesn't have any such feature though.
Could anyone tell me which map provider routes more like google maps. I've been using google maps on GPRS and it's quite accurate about the route to take.
I need it mainly for city driving in Bangalore.
Old 12th April 2010, 12:30   #698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Folks,

One quick question. Am a newbie to this GPS stuff, but am almost on the verge of purchasing the Garmin nuvi 1300 device (which retails for 109USD in the US). This is a slimmer and supposedly sleeker device but this comes at a slight cost. This does not support SD cards, but instead supports micro-SD cards.

Am planning to purchase the SatNAV maps for Garmin, which is really a steal at the current price (INR 999).

So does this involve a simple copy of the contents of a SatNAV provided SD card into a micro-SD card and then use it in the device or is it something over and above this?
I dont think it will be that easy i.e. copy from a SD to a micro sd as their softwarer is locked. I believe (I might be wrong though) that you can request the maps on a micro-sd card itself from SatNav. Reach out to their customer service team and they should be able to help you on the same.
Old 12th April 2010, 15:47   #699
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
I dont think it will be that easy i.e. copy from a SD to a micro sd as their softwarer is locked. I believe (I might be wrong though) that you can request the maps on a micro-sd card itself from SatNav. Reach out to their customer service team and they should be able to help you on the same.
You will need to tell them the exact card on which you will need the map. Else its a problem.
Old 12th April 2010, 22:59   #700
Senior - BHPian

Satnav sends you a link for the map over email. You need to then download it to your desired location. Then they send an activation key of sorts and you are good to go.
Old 13th April 2010, 06:54   #701
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Satnav sends you a link for the map over email. You need to then download it to your desired location. Then they send an activation key of sorts and you are good to go.
This they do for an upgrade. For a new map, when you purchase for the first time they will send you an SD card or a micro SD card.
Old 13th April 2010, 11:34   #702
Senior - BHPian

Trouble using Google Maps (on BlackBerry) with GPS device

Guys,

I have Google Maps installed on my BlackBerry but it fails to recognize GPS signals transmitted by a Holux GPSlim receiver over Bluetooth. If I install MGMaps on my BlackBerry and try to use the same reciever with it (using Yahoo Maps), it works and I am able to track my location accurately. Any clues why Google Maps fails to work with the GPS receiver?
Old 13th April 2010, 11:44   #703
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Any clues why Google Maps fails to work with the GPS receiver?
Since it does work with another software, it has to be some setting issue.

A Blackberry 8320 and a bluetooth GPS receiver (not Holux though) does show accurately show location in Google Maps.
Old 13th April 2010, 12:32   #704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Since it does work with another software, it has to be some setting issue.
Trrk - I thought so too but Google Maps help says that 'My Location' (the blue dot on the map) is updated by default using WiFi (mobile towers) but as soon as you hook on to a GPS reveiver, it should use the same to determine your location, which does not seem to happen in my case. Neither do I see any setting in the Google Maps menu that would enable me to turn GPS on. BTW, I am using BlackBerry 8703e, which is an old model. Which version of Google Maps do you have? Is there anything specific that you need to do to GPS-enable Google Maps?
Old 14th April 2010, 01:50   #705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
This they do for an upgrade. For a new map, when you purchase for the first time they will send you an SD card or a micro SD card.
At the time of purchase, do you have an option to select an SD card or a micro SD card?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks