Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2018, 12:47   #1141
Senior - BHPian

Re: Difference between tall tubular and normal height tubular battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haste View Post
Hi,

I want to replace my old tubular batteries with new one. After market survey and batterybhai I have a zeroed in on luminous tubular battery. Now these come in 2 flavour with very little price difference.

LUMINOUS RED CHARGE 18000TT: Costs 10500 with exchange for 150Ah capacity, It is a Tall Tubular Battery, so I have to buy new inverter trolley also as existing one will only accept normal battery. It has 36 month warranty (18+18)

LUMINOUS ILST1842: Costs 10200 with exchange for 150Ah capacity. It is also tubular but with normal height. Comes with 42 Months warranty (24+18).

Both of have similar specs mentioned like HADI casting and 1250 rated discharge cycles.

Is there any significant advantage of going for tall tubular battery over normal height tubular one ?
Normal one has extra warranty, is cheaper and will save me only trolley cost also (1~2k)
Cant find 1842 in their website (https://www.luminouseshop.com/produc...ubular-battery) but they have 18042.
Old 11th January 2018, 12:52   #1142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any significant advantage of going for tall tubular battery over normal height tubular one ? Normal one has extra warranty, is cheaper and will save me only trolley cost also (1~2k)
Tall tubular batteries have more electrolyte in them and operational conditions being equal the tall batteries run cooler and require fewer top ups. My first choice is always a TT battery followed by normal tubular.
Old 11th January 2018, 13:58   #1143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Cant find 1842 in their website (https://www.luminouseshop.com/produc...ubular-battery) but they have 18042.
I think they have area specific models and prices. I can see below models for Pune.

http://www.batterybhai.com/inverter-...472/4/2/150/14

http://www.batterybhai.com/inverter-...850/4/2/150/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Tall tubular batteries have more electrolyte in them and operational conditions being equal the tall batteries run cooler and require fewer top ups. My first choice is always a TT battery followed by normal tubular.
Thanks, that's nice piece of info. I'll put that in consideration.
Old 12th January 2018, 11:02   #1144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think they have area specific models and prices. I can see below models for Pune.

http://www.batterybhai.com/inverter-...472/4/2/150/14

http://www.batterybhai.com/inverter-...850/4/2/150/14

Thanks, that's nice piece of info. I'll put that in consideration.
I know bhai has the links but why not the manufacturer? I would not buy one that they dont have in their list.
Old 14th February 2018, 12:31   #1145
BHPian

Re: Inverter Batteries

Have a peculiar situation.
The house I am living in has a fixed cupboard with 2 shelves (fixed). The Inverter power point is kept in the lower shelf. My battery is a Tubular one and hence the cupboard doors cannot be closed. I am thinking of extending the battery +/- cable so it can be kept to the side of the cupboard. Enquired one of the dealer and he suggested not to tamper the existing cable which will increase the charging time.

I am thinking of drilling a hole to the side of cupboard and route rhe cable through it.

Any other suggestions?
Old 14th February 2018, 14:40   #1146
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The dealer may be right, depending on the charge current and thickness of the copper wire it may lead to increase in charge time but it will be negligible, since most inverter charge at around 15A to 20A max, a 6sq mm to 10sqmm cable should offer very low resistance.
Old 14th February 2018, 16:04   #1147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
The dealer may be right, depending on the charge current and thickness of the copper wire it may lead to increase in charge time but it will be negligible, since most inverter charge at around 15A to 20A max, a 6sq mm to 10sqmm cable should offer very low resistance.
So should I or shouldn't I get the cable extended? Dealer also noted that it wouldn't be readily available since the standard is 1 mtr. So ideally I need to get another 1 meter and get the 2 joined. Recommended?
Old 14th February 2018, 16:51   #1148
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The problem with joining is that you need to make sure that they are absolutely insulated well to prevent a short. I would use a single longer cable of the same thickess as existing one one or increase it to the next available size for lower resistance
Old 14th February 2018, 17:22   #1149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
So should I or shouldn't I get the cable extended? Dealer also noted that it wouldn't be readily available since the standard is 1 mtr. So ideally I need to get another 1 meter and get the 2 joined. Recommended?
Your inverter probably came with 8-10 sq mm wire. Please check the dimensions of the conductor core not the insulator.

Although I would not not recommend extending the current cable, you could have an electrician (or even the manufacturer's after sales technician) replace it with a 2 metre length of the same size.

One end goes to the circuit board in the inverter and the other end should be fitted with the correct size ring terminals using a **ratcheting crimping plier or a hydraulic crimper**. Yes, these are the tools used in the factories making electrical gear.

Do not use standard pliers. Using a standard plier will result in the terminal not making a good connection with the conductor strands.

For e.g. see here:

A similar process is followed for inverter cables which use slightly thinner cable than what is used in automobiles.

To cap it off:

a) Do this only if you must
b) Use the correct gauge wire & terminals, buy shrink insulator tubing
d) Make sure you have correct tool(s) including a heat gun
e) Have this done by an experienced electrician if possible
f) If you must attempt a DIY buy the correct tools/parts and practice a few times before heading off to do the real thing.

PS - Consider relocating the battery/batteries and inverter and extend the inverter output wires to achieve the same thing. It's easier.

Last edited by R2D2 : 14th February 2018 at 17:27.
Old 14th February 2018, 17:26   #1150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
The problem with joining is that you need to make sure that they are absolutely insulated well to prevent a short. I would use a single longer cable of the same thickess as existing one one or increase it to the next available size for lower resistance
Quote:
Although I would not not recommend extending the current cable, you could have an electrician (or even the manufacturer's after sales technician) replace it with a 2 metre length of the same size.
I have nil knowledge when it comes to Electricity and hence will go through the authorized technician. Inverter is of Microtek and battery is Exide. Which technician should I call?
Old 14th February 2018, 17:34   #1151
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have nil knowledge when it comes to Electricity and hence will go through the authorized technician. Inverter is of Microtek and battery is Exide. Which technician should I call?
You need to call the inverter technician. He'll probably advise you against it just as your dealer and I have but then do take a chance and request him to help you out. You may need to call the call centre and book a visit.

Make sure he has the tools otherwise he'll use a standard plier to crimp terminals on the wire ends. And that's not good.

As for the wire, you need a wire should be at least the same size as factory cable if not 1 size up. This is not as straight forward as one believes it to be. It's not like attaching an extension cord to your mains socket and connecting a remote appliance.

As I said in my 'PS' section in the last response it is easier to relocate the battery inverter combination and extend the output wire.

If the skills, tools & parts are not available I would strongly advise against messing with the factory cabling.
Old 14th February 2018, 17:41   #1152
BHPian

Quote:
You need to call the inverter technician.

Make sure he has the tools otherwise he'll use a standard plier to crimp terminals on the wire ends. And that's not good.

If the skills, tools & parts are not available I would strongly advise against messing with the factory cabling.
I am pretty sure the technician is not going to carry any of the crimping tools except for the normal pliers. Will give a call and check.
IMHO, rather than fiddling with the factory set it is better to drill holes on the wooden cupboard side wall. Peace of mind.
Old 14th February 2018, 17:43   #1153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am pretty sure the technician is not going to carry any of the crimping tools except for the normal pliers. Will give a call and check. IMHO, rather than fiddling with the factory set it is better to drill holes on the wooden cupboard side wall. Peace of mind.
If he doesn't have the right tools then don't touch the cables please. You'll create problems for yourself down the line.

Drilling a hole through your cupboard side wall would be a walk in the park compared to the process of extending cables. I'd do just this if I were you.
Old 14th February 2018, 17:51   #1154
BHPian

Quote:
If he doesn't have the right tools then don't touch the cables please. You'll create problems for yourself down the line.

Drilling a hole through your cupboard side wall would be a walk in the park compared to the process of extending cables. I'd do just this if I were you.
Thanks, that sums it up. I do not want to mess the factory set which is working as good as perfect . Will drill a hole and safeguard my inverter and battery.

One more query - what logic is this distilled water to be only filled in Tubulars? Is it good to use RO water?

Last edited by dre@ms : 14th February 2018 at 17:53.
Old 14th February 2018, 18:01   #1155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One more query - what logic is this distilled water to be only filled in Tubulars? Is it good to use RO water?
Only DW should be used in any wet battery including tubulars.

RO and plain tap or well water contain chemicals and minerals that will interfere with the chemical reactions occurring in the battery (battery has dilute sulphuric acid) and some minerals could damage the plates.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks