Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2018, 13:35   #1306
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Inverter Batteries

Thanks Aim120 for the insight.

@Thad: What gets me concerned is that when I enter my home after the same has been locked up with windows closed for a while, then at times I get a hint of acidic smell. That is only sometimes, but still enough to create a doubt in mind.

Thanks!
Old 30th October 2018, 14:17   #1307
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

They do not release acid vapors, but in the event of a thermal runaway which is possible in GEL batteries, due to heat it can release dangerous gas + hydrogen.
APC white papers say that if the GEL batteries operate at room temperature of 33°C the life of the battery is halved.

When water/acid spill over due to excess filling of flooded batteries or improper charge condition, one could smell them when the water/acid in contact with air and other impurities outside the battery.

A simple PVC pipe with a computer 12v DC fan to route it outside or towards the window is enough for the light Hydrogen gas to escape, remember it only releases gas during the charging state.
Old 30th October 2018, 14:26   #1308
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
When water/acid spill over due to excess filling of flooded batteries or improper charge condition, one could smell them when the water/acid in contact with air and other impurities outside the battery.

A simple PVC pipe with a computer 12v DC fan to route it outside or towards the window is enough for the light Hydrogen gas to escape, remember it only releases gas during the charging state.
Thanks again. Unfortunately due to the physical limitations of the set up, routing an exhaust pipe is very difficult. Though I thought of it several times.
But I will be more particular about the overfill.

Regards,
Saket.
Old 30th October 2018, 15:40   #1309
Distinguished - BHPian

I am not very keen on breathing sulphuric acid fumes, even though I used to have a jewellery workbench in a bedroom corner, and thus slept with the stuff!

I am very concerned about the idea of using fans to vent hydrogen. Really, what would worry me most about having a lead-acid battery in an occupied part of the house is the fire risk. Can it be guaranteed that there is absolutely no chance of even the tiniest spark in a fan? Even a 12v fan? I would not take that risk!
Old 30th October 2018, 15:55   #1310
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I am very concerned about the idea of using fans to vent hydrogen. Really, what would worry me most about having a lead-acid battery in an occupied part of the house is the fire risk. Can it be guaranteed that there is absolutely no chance of even the tiniest spark in a fan? Even a 12v fan? I would not take that risk!
Agree with the risk of sparks, but maybe it can be mitigated by using the fan in push mode, instead of pull? i.e. Fan -> Battery -> Atmosphere, instead of the more efficient Battery -> Fan -> Atmosphere, which puts the fan in line with the battery exhaust gases.
Old 30th October 2018, 16:45   #1311
Distinguished - BHPian

Hydrogen, as has been remarked, rises. Just make a hole in the ceiling. No fan needed!

At first sight, this might see, like a flippant comment, but I'm sure it can be the basis for something practical. I wonder how rooms containing large banks of such batteries are ventilated?

(Actually, had a huge, completely OTT UPS in my work place computer room at one time. Of course, most of the space was batteries. There was no special ventilation to that room. The UPS, by the way, was thrown out when management refused to pay the rather large cost of a new set of batteries!)
Old 30th October 2018, 21:08   #1312
Senior - BHPian

Our APC is going strong for 4 years now, and I expect the battery to conk off in the 5th year. Exide InvaGo caught my eye, being on castors and all. Anybody got any experience with this?

b.The trolley holding the battery breaks every 6 months. So is there a really strong Battery trolley my parents can invest in?

Is there anything reliable in metal (Bangalore, please)?

Kindly give your suggestions.
Attached Images

Old 30th October 2018, 23:08   #1313
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Hydrogen, as has been remarked, rises. Just make a hole in the ceiling. No fan needed!

At first sight, this might see, like a flippant comment, but I'm sure it can be the basis for something practical. I wonder how rooms containing large banks of such batteries are ventilated?

(Actually, had a huge, completely OTT UPS in my work place computer room at one time. Of course, most of the space was batteries. There was no special ventilation to that room. The UPS, by the way, was thrown out when management refused to pay the rather large cost of a new set of batteries!)

APC server battery systems use fans, the volume of air mixed with the released hydrogen is harmless for ignition. The 12v computer fans are brushless, no chance of spark, not going to happen. The only type of fan that creates spark are Brushed type.

If the room has a ventilation hole a silent fan will remove any remaining hydrogen. You could even install a timer switch to the fan (some even have shutters which open when they are switched On) so that it freshens the room every hour for 5 min entirely up to the user setting.

Last edited by aim120 : 30th October 2018 at 23:10.
Old 31st October 2018, 01:42   #1314
Distinguished - BHPian

OK, aim120, I'll stop worrying!

Thanks for the further technical details about the fans
Old 31st October 2018, 02:00   #1315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I just wanted to explore this possibility to save myself from a wiring headache.
You can do a simpler install by connecting your full house or specific rooms from your distribution board without wiring individual points. This is how I have done it. If your inverter overloads, you can turn off devices and reset the inverter.
Old 31st October 2018, 09:34   #1316
BANNED

@diyguy; Exactly what I have done. My old inverter had a MCB so it was easy, now on the Sukam I have to change the fuse. A little more effort.
Old 22nd February 2019, 16:34   #1317
BHPian

Having a peculiar problem with one of my home inverter battery.

The Positive Terminal of the battery is always hot and the cell closest to it loses electrolyte sooner than the rest. One battery already conked 3 months ago and had to move to a newer battery Amaron. With the new Amaron, the electrolyte issue is partially solved, but the terminal is displaying the heat issue.

To avoid corrosion I had dabbed dielectric grease on both terminals. But the positive side has grease melted away from terminal and is now forming a glacier on the surface of the battery. The negative terminal looks great with no issue.

We don't have many powercuts in our location (touch wood), but the issue remains.

What might be the problem ?

Last edited by prithm : 22nd February 2019 at 16:35.
Old 23rd February 2019, 18:24   #1318
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Having a peculiar problem with one of my home inverter battery. The Positive Terminal of the battery is always hot and the cell closest to it loses electrolyte sooner than the rest. We don't have many powercuts in our location (touch wood), but the issue remains. What might be the problem ?
Either a dead cell or overcharging by the inverter. The latter is most likely which may have damaged the cell plates over time. Check charging voltage it is normally 13.7 V for a single battery or 27.4 for a dual battery setup. Check this ASAP because it can get worse. If it is a dead cell then you need a new battery.
Old 24th February 2019, 01:16   #1319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Check this ASAP because it can get worse. If it is a dead cell then you need a new battery.
Thank you R2D2-san. If I'm right, I should dismantle the inverter, take it to nearest batterywala, get it checked for output.

Currently it's managing only one 150 mAh Amaron battery. Very low usage too (Router, 2 fans, 2 tubes) with ~2-4 hours of discharge every 15 days.

One unique thing about this inverter is that, when I fill water every 2-3 months, I fully dismantle & reassemble it. When reassembling, I connect the positive terminal wire first then the negative. The positive wire always sparks, even when the inverter trip switch is off & mains plug disconnected. Is this normal ?

BTW, inverter too is Tribal (Amaron), if this detail is of any use.
Old 24th February 2019, 01:25   #1320
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Thank you R2D2-san. If I'm right, I should dismantle the inverter, take it to nearest batterywala, get it checked for output. Currently it's managing only one 150 mAh Amaron battery. Very low usage too (Router, 2 fans, 2 tubes) with ~2-4 hours of discharge every 15 days.
No need to disconnect - use a digital multimeter to measure the voltage.

Quote:
One unique thing about this inverter is that, when I fill water every 2-3 months, I fully dismantle & reassemble it. When reassembling, I connect the positive terminal wire first then the negative. The positive wire always sparks, even when the inverter trip switch is off & mains plug disconnected. Is this normal ?
No need to disassemble. Fill in the DW even whilst the batteries are connected. It prevents sparks due to removal of cables and attendant risk of explosions if the vent caps are open.

Some sparking is normal. It is the battery flowing back into the inverter charging circuit. Just ensure that you minimise sparking of any kind around wet batteries.

Quote:
BTW, inverter too is Tribal (Amaron), if this detail is of any use.
Amaron I recognise but not Tribal. Brand doesn't matter actually.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks