Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2017, 18:14   #5476
PPS
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Any suggestions on a less than 1.0T Window AC unit? Amazon only has 1T and above.
Did you end up buying it?
Seems less than 1 ton AC's are in short supply. Checked with Croma,Vijay Sales, both don't have them! A dealer near my office is willing to take an order for a Voltas 0.8 ton AC for 19k. Can't figure what i should do, whether check out more stores?
Then, browsed through Amazon & came across the below Blue Star window ac. Has anyone here had prior experience of ordering AC from Amazon, if so, how has been your experience?

http://www.amazon.in/Blue-Star-3WAE0...ords=window+ac
Old 12th August 2017, 00:18   #5477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Did you end up buying it?
Seems less than 1 ton AC's are in short supply. Checked with Croma,Vijay Sales, both don't have them! A dealer near my office is willing to take an order for a Voltas 0.8 ton AC for 19k. Can't figure what i should do, whether check out more stores?
Then, browsed through Amazon & came across the below Blue Star window ac. Has anyone here had prior experience of ordering AC from Amazon, if so, how has been your experience?

http://www.amazon.in/Blue-Star-3WAE0...ords=window+ac
Hey,

Nope, took so long to decide that the Summer ended and its been raining. I had a really really old assembled window AC lying unused. Got that serviced and used it for a while. So for now, AC plans postponed to next year

MaSh
Old 13th August 2017, 20:17   #5478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
My 1.5 T Voltas Split AC started throwing hot air from its indoor unit yesterday after some 15-20 minutes of operation.

It was chilling well when started but suddenly I noticed warm air coming from indoor unit. I was surprised as there was no burning smell either.

I switched off immediately and removed the main supply.

Before I call technician over weekend, any pointers on why an AC without heat pump can throw hot air suddenly? Compressor failure ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If you have just started it, it will take the air from above it and blow it, and it is surprisingly hotter up there by the ceiling. Otherwise, I would just call that technician. Compressor failure or gas leak does not make it blow hot air: just room-temperature air, ie it does nothing except blow.

But you might feel it as relatively warm if it had been cooling before.

Our second-hand mix'n'match stopped cooling a few days ago. It failed back in late May, and our guy did a quick-and-dirty just-charge-the-gas. This time, he found a cracked nut, charged us only for call out and gave the gas for free
So I checked the outdoor unit of my AC today. Found the compressor to be running, indoor unit giving chilled air upon starting BUT the outdoor unit fan is not running. Just after few minutes the compressor cuts off, probably due to overheating and I guess the indoor unit is throwing warm air just because of this due to no heat exchange in the out door unit.

Planning to call AC technician next week. I believe this will require replacement of outdoor fan motor or anything else can be culprit?
Old 13th August 2017, 20:31   #5479
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
... or anything else can be culprit?
The cheapest possibility is one capacitor. Good luck!
Old 13th August 2017, 21:25   #5480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The cheapest possibility is one capacitor. Good luck!
I recently got the capacitor for outdoor unit changed. But in that case entire unit was not powering on. But in this case compressor is running.

Is there a separate capacitor for the fan too ?
Old 13th August 2017, 22:37   #5481
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is there a separate capacitor for the fan too
Duh... I'm afraid I exhausted my knowledge in my last post. I don't know <Blush>
Old 14th August 2017, 17:55   #5482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Duh... I'm afraid I exhausted my knowledge in my last post. I don't know <Blush>
So actually the fan motor of the outdoor unit was the culprit.

Got it replaced with an aftermarket new one for Rs. 1700. The fan has to be replaced as well as the old unit was not compatible with new motor.

The new motor/fan combo is noisy though, but the cooling has improved probably because of the airflow improvement with a new multi blade fan in condenser unit.

The home / office air-conditioner thread-20170814_162741.jpg

The home / office air-conditioner thread-20170814_162801.jpg

The home / office air-conditioner thread-20170814_171152.jpg

Last edited by bluevolt : 14th August 2017 at 17:58.
Old 16th August 2017, 17:23   #5483
BANNED

I don't understand the fascination with daikin, o general AC's. When i was in the market for 5 star rated AC's, i did a spec comparison between different AC brands, models and found Daikin, O general to be least efficient. Hitachi, panasonic came out on top when it came to energy efficiency. Panasonic had a disadvantage wherein some of its models were not designed for working in temperatures higher than 46C. Hitachi had none. Daikin, o general i rejected outrightly because of their relatively poor energy efficiency and higher price.
Old 16th August 2017, 19:04   #5484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
I don't understand the fascination with daikin, o general AC's. When i was in the market for 5 star rated AC's, i did a spec comparison between different AC brands, models and found Daikin, O general to be least efficient. Hitachi, panasonic came out on top when it came to energy efficiency. Panasonic had a disadvantage wherein some of its models were not designed for working in temperatures higher than 46C. Hitachi had none. Daikin, o general i rejected outrightly because of their relatively poor energy efficiency and higher price.
Diakin was preferred as it had the quietest Indoor Unit and initially it had the best after sales service.

O General (Fujitsu) is a more rugged machine and has a longer service life compared to others.

Hitachi may have better specs (We have three), but their after sales service is very spotty, and at time spares are expensive.

On the whole buying an AC is similar to buying a luxury car. Toyota may not have the best specs but its ownership cost are amongst the lowest. On the other hand the three Germans have excellent ride and gizmos, but ownership costs are high.

So you have to decide what you want - excellent machine with high maintenance cost or mid level machines with low service costs. Incidentally, baring the compressor a lot of parts in Hitachi are of Chinese origin, and they are what cause most of the problems.
Old 16th August 2017, 19:53   #5485
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't understand the fascination with daikin, o general AC's. ... ... ...
It would be nice if it was easy as comparing specifications. Here we have experience of three brands now: Samsung, Sharp and Daikin. By far the best on paper, and value for money, was Sharp, and everybody knows where that got me

Our recently-bought Daikin, 2nd-hand maybe two years old, maybe three, is a completely different thing to the other makes. It is not bristling with features. I don't know its efficiency, maybe not that good, as it is not bang up-to-date. But the construction quality is in a different league. Open it up to take the filters out: nothing feels like it might fall apart in the hand! It's like comparing my VW with... well, certain other models. May not be packed with extras (may not have any in fact ) but build quality is hard to fault.

If and when I have the luxury of buying new again, I'm still inclined to try Panasonic.

And, notwithstanding the solid quality of the Daikin, I do still really miss having an inverter AC in the bedroom.
Old 17th August 2017, 19:50   #5486
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Had booked 0.75 ton Voltas window ac for 19.5k, when it was unboxed as it turns out the plastic coil/part was broken as can be seen in the below pic! Have asked the dealer to replace it with another unit. Funny thing is, the month & year of manufacturing of this delivered unit is April 2016! Is it something to be worried about? If so, how old should the month/year of manufacturing should ideally be?
The home / office air-conditioner thread-dhb3e1svoaaalnd.jpg
Old 18th August 2017, 19:54   #5487
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Daikin has the most efficient 5 star rated inverter AC on the market in all capacity .75, 1, 1.5, 1.8 ton. Out of those 1 ton, 1.5 ton and 1.8 ton tops the efficiency list in BEE website. While the .75 ton is not listed yet.

Last edited by aim120 : 18th August 2017 at 19:57.
Old 3rd September 2017, 00:35   #5488
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Onida is super cool and never gave any problem.
Was your Onida a window AC & what capacity? From what i've heard , Onida AC's are not good.

Its very difficult to get 0.75 ton window AC in the market as i'm told they've stopped making it. I had ordered a Voltas 0.75 ton AC 2 weeks back, its lying in a box in my room as it has a broken plastic panel, neither the dealer nor company is able to help as both say they they dont have the part available nor do they have any other unit, 2 other units in the warehouse also have the same broken plastic panel.
So now i've decided to go in for an Onida!

Last edited by PPS : 3rd September 2017 at 00:37.
Old 3rd September 2017, 09:24   #5489
Distinguished - BHPian

I usually mean it when I compliment brands that I own, I do not compliment them simply because I happen to own them and when I feel its time to update my views to reflect the change in reality I will do so.

In that same vein, I say NEVER, buy Panasonic.. its been a bad experience simply put. This is the update after my review that I liked it but 1.5 years down the realities have changes, the operation is quite noisy/clumsy.. it simply doesn't feel like a properly functioning unit and it is very slow to respond to remote changes as well (the Bluestar in the office functions superbly in comparison). Filters have been cleaned and tune-ups have been given and while the a.c never failed in its actual job of cooling it simply is too unrefined and overall bad, period.

Want to keep it running for some more time (sees operation of <1hr a day) maybe a year more and then I'll change to Daikin, Carrier or Bluestar. O.G has pathetic sales/service network.
Old 3rd September 2017, 12:51   #5490
BANNED

Quote:
Please be corrected. There is no O General it is General and the perceived O is the logo (of Fujitsu, if I remember). Panasonic is good, but has the 46C handicap. As for Hitachi the ASS leaves a lot to be desired. So as long as you do not have any problems you are fine.

One thing you did not touch upon is the durability, that only about 10 years usage will show up.I am having some issues with my Daikin but not forsaking it yet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks