Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2011, 20:31   #1576
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayk View Post
I have been doing my research to buy a 1.5T 3-Star Split for home. I have been offered Daikin FTE50 for Rs27,990 (inclusive of stabilizer and installation).

Samsung 183UGC(1.5T 3-Star) for Rs 27,500 (Incl of Installation + 10ft copper wiring). This is a built in stabilizer model.

I need advise from you folks on which to choose. I am aware Daikin is far superior than samsung. My usage is only during summer and not more than 8 hrs per day.
You are really getting at a good price. I just inquired with a local shop here and was quoted 29500/- no discounts. Installation charges and stabilizer money would be extra. The model is FTE50KV

Do let us know how is the performance, no doubt its a Daikin but still would be great to have a feedback from you. Do post some pictures too
Old 22nd March 2011, 21:59   #1577
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
What does the Test Run button on the AC remote do? The manual says not to use it except for after the installation. What does it test?
As far as I know this bypasses the controls incl. thermostat, and is used to test the system. However, it can also be used in many cases of malfunction to run the unit.
Old 23rd March 2011, 01:07   #1578
Senior - BHPian

Bought the 1.5ton whirlpool royale today.
Initial impression-
Cooling is very good..
Features yet to be tested.
The only negative is that fan noise is too much. Even my 5 year old LG use to have atleast 50% less noise in comparison.
Old 24th March 2011, 22:40   #1579
BHPian

There is an advertisement in today's newspaper about an Onida AC that can be started by sending an SMS. Details are vague. Does anyone know how it works? Just curious, I have no intention of buying it.
Old 24th March 2011, 22:45   #1580
BHPian

Metro selling 1 ton 3 star rated TCL aircons for 13k here in Bangalore. I guess there is a free stabilizer as well along with it (from the brochure).

Any feedback on these TCL models?
Old 25th March 2011, 00:16   #1581
Senior - BHPian

Last I heard TCL had pulled out of India. They did return but I think Ac's are yet to be on the list.
Old 25th March 2011, 03:28   #1582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
There is an advertisement in today's newspaper about an Onida AC that can be started by sending an SMS. Details are vague. Does anyone know how it works? Just curious, I have no intention of buying it.
I think I came across the brochure in a showroom for this model. It talks about a cell phone that comes along with it that sends the signals received from you via sms to it to the AC to turn it ON/OFF.

Since was not keen on buying Onida didnt really pay much attention.

Any feedback on Onida as an AC brand people ?
Old 25th March 2011, 22:05   #1583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
Wow, 14.5k is a good price, but make sure it is the model with remote, as the model without remote cost 1k cheaper at 15.5k in Hyd (including installation).

It does NOT have "Kaimin" feature, but it does turn off the cooling (only fan running) when the preset temperature is reached. I usually set the room temp to around 25/26 C (outside temp is 34+) and I find after 10-15 mins or so, the outside unit fan stops and the cooling is off, because the whole room has reached the set temp. This makes me "not feel chilly" when I wake up in the mornings!

Didn't use the AC significantly during last month's billing cycle, so waiting for this months bill to update about the bill shock.
Hey Neil,

What are your views on the Cube after using it for a couple of weeks now? I have got the go ahead for a Split from the Landlord. Really loved the cube and might pick it up this weekend. Just want to know your views on performance, noise, any irritants, etc.

MaSh
Old 25th March 2011, 22:49   #1584
BHPian

Any idea about factory seconds? I got a Whirlpool Crome 1.7 T 3* for 15 k including installation. The only minus I could see is there is a deep scratch on one side of the indoor unit which is not easily visible. its an instant chiller for my 140 sft room.

Last edited by sajjt : 25th March 2011 at 22:50.
Old 26th March 2011, 23:51   #1585
BHPian

Installed Panasonic inverter silver 1 ton for a frequently used room and a Panasonic Ivory 1ton for a sparingly used room.
But the inverter AC is not working!
When it is put on, it blows air for about 10-15mins and then shuts down by itself with the timer indicator on the IDU blinking orange light. Complex electronics causing problems.
I have informed the dealer and the technician will come on Monday. Machines were bought from the Panasonic brandshop and installed by their own technicians.
The only silver lining is I have not yet paid them for the AC.

The Ivory unit is working fine.

Both the outdoor and indoor units for both ACs are manufactured by Panasonic Malaysia.

Last edited by Deep Blue : 26th March 2011 at 23:53.
Old 27th March 2011, 20:35   #1586
BHPian

In the 1990s, I hardly used ceiling fans but over the decade ACs seem to be more of a necessity (at least to me) than a luxury in Mysore.

I need a split AC to cool two people in approximately 10 x 10 x 10 cubic feet room with East and North (where the AC would be installed) facing walls. There will be no electronics or other heat generating appliances in the room. Therefore, a 1 ton AC was best suited for my purpose.

I was looking for a value for money solution that would also reduce my total cost of ownership. Therefore, the AC had to be one from the new inverter series or the tried and tested 5 star rated series to reduce electricity bill.

In terms of features, noise level, odour removal and airflow direction control (manual or automatic: from top to bottom and left to right) was very important to me.

After researching for one whole month, I shortlisted two models from Panasonic brand:

1. econ Inverter Chrome CS-S12MKY - Rs. 38,000
The inverter model does not have any star ratings but is considered better than or equal to 5 star rated ACs. Inverter models do not switch on and off the compressor but work continuously to control cooling and also consume minimum electric power possible for the required cooling. They also use the new generation of R-410A refrigerant which is better for the environment. This particular model also has a lot of sensors for some nifty features (Check out the ad featuring Katrina Kaif. You cannot play indoor hide-and-seek game with this AC installed )

2. econ Sapphire CS-KC12MKY - Rs. 26,000
The 5 star rated model is considered the basic model, has no fancy features and uses the R-22 refrigerant which is likely to be phased out by January 2013. However, AC professionals are confident that it is not going to affect refilling of R-22 till 2020.

Comparing select technical specifications between model 1. & 2.:
Btu/h: 11900 vs 11800
kW (cooling): 3.50 vs 3.46
EER (Btu/hW): 11.2 vs 10.8
COP (w/w): 3.30 vs 3.17
Running Current (A): 4.8 vs 4.9
Power Input (W): 1060 vs 1090
Air Circulation (cu ft/min): 385 vs 395
Noise Level [High, Low] (dB-A): 38, 26 vs 41, 29

I do not find any significant difference between the two models as far as my requirements were concerned. Further, the price difference of Rs. 12,000 between the two models is primarily due to unnecessary sensors (at least for me), new refrigerant and finally the inverter hype. Therefore, I am opting for the econ Sapphire CS-KC12MKY 1ton 5 star rated split AC.

The price given above is for Mysore and is exclusive of installation (approximately Rs. 1,000) and electrical work (approximately Rs. 1,500 in my case).
Old 28th March 2011, 22:10   #1587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
You are really getting at a good price. I just inquired with a local shop here and was quoted 29500/- no discounts. Installation charges and stabilizer money would be extra. The model is FTE50KV

Do let us know how is the performance, no doubt its a Daikin but still would be great to have a feedback from you. Do post some pictures too
Installation of the split AC was done on Thursday(24/03). I found the outdoor unit to be bulky. I was asked to shell out extra bucks for wiring from the indoor to outdoor unit. Got to know that all the imported ones have their power drawn from the outdoor unit. I leave it to the experts to clarify.

@Tush, Best part of this is the silence. I can only imagine how silent the inverter models would be. As of now i am happy that i got the best for 27,900. I will advise folks from Hyderabad, on the lookout for an AC to consider Daikin. Bajaj Electronics was the one to offer this at such a low price, but the latest i heard is that most of the dealers are offering at the same price.
Old 28th March 2011, 23:00   #1588
BHPian

What are the current recommended ac split models/manufacturers, I require 2 one for my hall and the other for a customer of mine, the customer lives abroad and will have minimal useage, the one for me will require minimal cooling, as being in a coastal area we don't require more than 15 degree's of cooling, but should be reliable and energy efficient (for both). Currently I have a Videocon and an Electrolux (same company anyway) and am fairly happy with the performance, efficiency is not so great (not star rated, AFAIK)

Please advise,

cheers,

Stefan
Old 29th March 2011, 01:07   #1589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPS_Guru View Post
1. econ Inverter Chrome CS-S12MKY - Rs. 38,000
The inverter model does not have any star ratings but is considered better than or equal to 5 star rated ACs. Inverter models do not switch on and off the compressor but work continuously to control cooling and also consume minimum electric power possible for the required cooling. They also use the new generation of R-410A refrigerant which is better for the environment. This particular model also has a lot of sensors for some nifty features (Check out the ad featuring Katrina Kaif. You cannot play indoor hide-and-seek game with this AC installed )
With Kat around why would anyone want to hide, I would change the game to seek & seek
The motion detecting nifty feature is just another variation of the sensor found on auto switch on switch off lights. Also there are inverters still available with the old gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPS_Guru View Post
2 Further, the price difference of Rs. 12,000 between the two models is primarily due to unnecessary sensors (at least for me), new refrigerant and finally the inverter hype. Therefore, I am opting for the econ Sapphire CS-KC12MKY 1ton 5 star rated split AC.
The additional cost is not because of sensors alone. The 410 system operates on a higher pressure compared to the R22. This means a more robust compressor, better gauge of pipes and capillaries in other words better components all around. Also the gas does cost more and then there is the better thermister and then there are the sensors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayk View Post
Installation of the split AC was done on Thursday(24/03). I found the outdoor unit to be bulky. I was asked to shell out extra bucks for wiring from the indoor to outdoor unit. Got to know that all the imported ones have their power drawn from the outdoor unit. I leave it to the experts to clarify.
Hey sanjayk, the power circuit path is the same for all machines impoted or otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanm View Post
What are the current recommended ac split models/manufacturers, I require 2 one for my hall and the other for a customer of mine, the customer lives abroad and will have minimal useage, the one for me will require minimal cooling, as being in a coastal area we don't require more than 15 degree's of cooling, but should be reliable and energy efficient (for both). Currently I have a Videocon and an Electrolux (same company anyway) and am fairly happy with the performance, efficiency is not so great (not star rated, AFAIK)

Please advise,

cheers,

Stefan
Hey Stefanm,

Though you will find the answers to most of your queries in the preceding pages, however for specific recommendations one would need the room sizes, whether the roof is open to sky or has construction above, exposure of wall(s) to sunlight etc to arrive at an educated guesstimate. Also it was not clear as to what do you mean by 15 degrees of cooling. Do you want the machine to achieve an indoor temp 15 degree below the given outdoor ambient temp?? do clarify.

Finally your old machines could be just as efficient if not more than quite a few of the current machines. It is just that this star rating business was introduced only last season, so the old ones came without any stars etc.
Old 29th March 2011, 01:25   #1590
BHPian

Finally after months of visiting malls, going through spec sheets of almost every model, we bought the Panasonic Cube 1.25 ton (CS-ZC15MKY-1 (With Remote) | CUBE | Single Split Air Conditioner | Air Conditioner | Home Appliances | Products | Panasonic)

Cost: Rs. 18,000/-. This includes Transportation, Installation, Stabilizer and a 2 year full machine service and warranty.
Attached Thumbnails
The home / office air-conditioner thread-ac.jpg  

Most Viewed