Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2012, 21:37   #2581
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concorde View Post
Panasonic AC range in India isn't that great. It works brilliantly for the first 6 months after which it requires maintenance every 3 months. Has a tendency to get clogged because of which the air throw is affected.
This is the first time I'm hearing about this issue - I have three in my home and none of them have any issue - well past a year and half now.
Old 4th May 2012, 22:33   #2582
Distinguished - BHPian

What gets clogged? The filters, or something else?

If the filters, then I suppose it just means that they are doing a good job. Cleaning AC filters is supposed to be an end-user maintenance task, not something we leave to the engineers --- although I'm lazy about this!
Old 4th May 2012, 23:16   #2583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
This is the first time I'm hearing about this issue - I have three in my home and none of them have any issue - well past a year and half now.

+1

Samsung has the worst filtration, Filters will always be clean but every thing inside is all clogged up.

One advantage with panasonic I have seen is they can remove the blower (talking split A/C) without dismantling the whole indoor unit.

I would go Panasonic next time, for split.
Old 4th May 2012, 23:38   #2584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
What gets clogged? The filters, or something else?

If the filters, then I suppose it just means that they are doing a good job. Cleaning AC filters is supposed to be an end-user maintenance task, not something we leave to the engineers --- although I'm lazy about this!
Agree with you. I'm not very sure of that though the engineer himself admitted that this is a problem with the Panasonic AC range. What I don't know is whether he meant the full range or only the series of the particular model we have. It is a 2 year old model. Don't remember the series number though.
Old 5th May 2012, 20:26   #2585
Senior - BHPian

Have shortlisted two splits 1.5T for my room and below are the best quotes with stabilizer and installation. Please suggest at the earliest since planning to book asap

LG - lsa5r2t - Rs. 29,000

Cooling4690 watt
Power Supply(Volt/Phase/Hz.)230 / Single / 50
Power Input (Watts)1675
Running Current(Amps)7.7
EER/COP (w/w)2.80
Air circulation (In/Out)(CFM)390/1550

Samsung - as182bbf - Rs.30,600

Capacity (W) 5,275
Air Circulation (Max, ㎥/min) 16
EER (Cooling, W/W) 2.82
Capacity (W) 5,275
  1. Please suggest which one to go for with the main use at night times.
  2. Is there any other brand / model which is cheaper for 1.5T and 2 Star.
  3. Should I go for a 2 star or a 3 Star considering a EER differential of 0.2 and cost of 2.5k
Old 5th May 2012, 21:25   #2586
BHPian

Can someone kindly post the current prices of whirlpool's (2*) 1.0 ton and 2 ton AC's?
I am looking to buy a 1 & a 2 ton Ac(2* only) for my bedroom and dinning room.AC's of Samsung ,Lg, Panasonic are sold at almost MRP price. Couldn't get the prices of whirlpool Ac's,the shop had closed!!

Thanks!
Old 5th May 2012, 21:34   #2587
BHPian

I would avoid whirlpool. Just bad experiences. You could also consider Hitachi and OGeneral.
Old 5th May 2012, 21:48   #2588
BHPian

Recently I purchased an Onida split airconditioner @ 22k. 3 star. Early days. But my usage is also limited. The other a/c is widow one LG with no problems. Bought in 2005. Cleaning done by me once in 3 months. leuvre motor is the one which has gone. did not go for replacement.
Old 5th May 2012, 22:36   #2589
Senior - BHPian

@Girish..
You should go for maximum Star Rating, your budget allows since it will save electricity and your money in long term.

@Rambo..
Why do you want to go for 2 Star only? Budget problem or usage is limited?

I purchased 5 star as compared to 3 star one since it will save electricity and hence reduce the bill even though the AC is used mostly during summers. The Cost difference between the 5* and 3* was around Rs.4K.
The initial cost is more for higher star rating but will save you money in long term ownership.

Could someone please post the procedure for cleaning the Cabin Filter for Whirlpool Aviator-V 1.5 Ton (sorry for bumping my own post)?
Old 5th May 2012, 23:34   #2590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
@Girish..
You should go for maximum Star Rating, your budget allows since it will save electricity and your money in long term.

@Rambo..
Why do you want to go for 2 Star only? Budget problem or usage is limited?

I purchased 5 star as compared to 3 star one since it will save electricity and hence reduce the bill even though the AC is used mostly during summers. The Cost difference between the 5* and 3* was around Rs.4K.
The initial cost is more for higher star rating but will save you money in long term ownership.

Could someone please post the procedure for cleaning the Cabin Filter for Whirlpool Aviator-V 1.5 Ton (sorry for bumping my own post)?
why a 2 star?, FREE electricity!( Dads company perk!)
I am only looking at whirlpool because it was recommended by Khoj sir over the Samsung and lg!
Prices in Goa for a two star 1 ton AC( basic Samsung,lg) with installation and stabilizer is around 25500/- and 2 ton is about 37-38k( basic smasung, lg Panasonic) with installation & stabilizer.Are these prices ok?

Since electricity consumption is not important, felt spending extra 10k for extra features(higher models) is not worth it, spare cash can be used to spruce up my ride! Daikin,hitachi, ogeneral are too over my budget!

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 5th May 2012 at 23:41.
Old 6th May 2012, 21:07   #2591
Senior - BHPian

The quotation i got was @32-32.5K (without installation).
I purchased it for @29-29.3K. I went through my maternal uncle who is an Electrical (not AC) Dealer, so got it for less price.
Also at that time, there was Company Offer of Reebok Shoes worth Rs.3500/- free on that AC (though the Reebok Dealer gave me Rs.1200/- Shoes by pasting Rs.3500/- MRP sticker to it. After some days i came to know about this cheat when I checked out Reebok Site. The AC Dealer had given me a Voucher mentioning that I am entitled for Free Reebok Shoes worth Rs. 3500/- which can be redeemed at a Reebok Dealer).

IIRC, we gave @800-1000 for installation (my above uncle sent a person for installation) and no stabilizer has been fitted yet.

Even if you don't have to pay for electricity, just for Sake of the Environment you should think of buying more energy efficient equipments. I cannot force you. The Choice is yours. You are free to buy anything you want as long as you can afford it.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 6th May 2012 at 21:12.
Old 10th May 2012, 00:53   #2592
BHPian

Never ever buy a Hitachi AC....most pathetic customer care I ever came across. Even a chai wala bhai or a sabji wala on the nukkad will give you better feel than these money sucking foreign firms who spent millions on advertisement but outsource all their customer care to cheap agencies. And I must share with you that japanese are known to do planning meticulous to details and planning going into seconds, whereas experience with Hitachi makes you realize that they are worse than anyone. Infact Government office will give better care to you if you ask them for help.

I will share more details later but I own a Hitachi Summer QC 1.5 Ton 5 Star and bought it just one year back. Absolutely no problem with machine except that its remote is pathetic (works as if it is having its own mood changing sensor that does not listen to my commands). Cooling is superb in Gurgaon heat but customer care is so hopeless that I will not suggest it to any friend. You pay more for better services besides a superb machine. And service is horrible in case of Hitachi.

They don't even care to respond back on your email to their customer care id. And they do lie like a thug every single day when you follow up for the commitment made for last day. And that last day literally never ends unless you warn them for a 100,000 mental harassment suit in a District Consumer court. That is what I did when I got fed up with their lies which continued for 2 weeks. If anyone need more details, just let me know and I will explain the details with timeline. Happened in last weeks of April 2012...

Regards,
Dharmesh
Old 10th May 2012, 09:58   #2593
BANNED

@girishglg; Samsung and LG is a matter of Tweedledum or Tweedledee. Check who has the better service and go for that. Here LG are better than Samsung (since they outsourced to some local crook).
Old 11th May 2012, 12:50   #2594
Senior - BHPian

Did a small electricity consumption test on my 1 month old Daikin 2.15 inverter split.

The test was done over 4 hours and the a/c was set at 24 degrees. Apart from the ac, 1 fan, 2 fridges, 1 tv and a few lights were on

1st hour (2130 hrs-2230hrs) - Power consumption =3.3 units
2nd hour(2230 hrs-2330hrs) - Power consumption= 2.7 units
3rd hour (2330 hrs-0030hrs) - Power consumption = 1.8 units
4th hour (0030 hrs-0130hrs) - power consumption = 1.0 unit

Now say I switched off the a/c at 0730 hrs in the morning so from 2130 hrs to 0730 hrs the ac functioned for 10 hrs. Also I believe once the optimum cooling was attained by the room in the 4th hour the rest of the time the power consumption will remain to be around 1 unit/ hour.

So theoretically total unit consumes would be 3.3 + 2.7 + 1.8 + 1 + (1X6hrs)= 14.8 or 15 units in 10 hrs.

Now if we compare it against my previous 2 ton, non-inverter window ac, which most probably would be consuming atleast 3 units/ hour. That is a total of 30 units for 10 hrs. With the inverter type I am saving on 50% of electricity in a day.

Theoretically my electricity bill for the month should reduce to half, but then lets see what happens when the bill arrives.

But inverter type models, though high on initial cost but definitely are a saving in longer run!! Also the best part is that unlike the normal models, there is no cool and warm air cycle as the inverter never cuts off, so the sleep is always pleasant

Regards
Old 11th May 2012, 13:58   #2595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Did a small electricity consumption test on my 1 month old Daikin 2.15 inverter split.

The test was done over 4 hours and the a/c was set at 24 degrees. Apart from the ac, 1 fan, 2 fridges, 1 tv and a few lights were on

1st hour (2130 hrs-2230hrs) - Power consumption =3.3 units
2nd hour(2230 hrs-2330hrs) - Power consumption= 2.7 units
3rd hour (2330 hrs-0030hrs) - Power consumption = 1.8 units
4th hour (0030 hrs-0130hrs) - power consumption = 1.0 unit

Now say I switched off the a/c at 0730 hrs in the morning so from 2130 hrs to 0730 hrs the ac functioned for 10 hrs. Also I believe once the optimum cooling was attained by the room in the 4th hour the rest of the time the power consumption will remain to be around 1 unit/ hour.

So theoretically total unit consumes would be 3.3 + 2.7 + 1.8 + 1 + (1X6hrs)= 14.8 or 15 units in 10 hrs.

Now if we compare it against my previous 2 ton, non-inverter window ac, which most probably would be consuming atleast 3 units/ hour. That is a total of 30 units for 10 hrs. With the inverter type I am saving on 50% of electricity in a day.

Theoretically my electricity bill for the month should reduce to half, but then lets see what happens when the bill arrives.

But inverter type models, though high on initial cost but definitely are a saving in longer run!! Also the best part is that unlike the normal models, there is no cool and warm air cycle as the inverter never cuts off, so the sleep is always pleasant

Regards
Actually your older non inverter unit would have a duty cycle of 50%, so total consumption would be nearer to 10*3*.5=15 units rather than 30 units.

Similarly the Inverter unit may go down to 0.5 unit/h after the temperature has stabilised, hence it would save power. What is more important is that every time a compressor starts it draws at least 3 times the full running current, so that all the electrical switch gear has to be designed for that current. In contrast most of the modern inverter models have a "soft start", that is the current required rises slowly and peks at the full load rate, rather than 3-4 times of normal AC.

Most Viewed