Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2013, 14:17   #2836

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Hi friends,

I have a query and hope I find an answer.

My living room is attached to the kitchen which has the dinning table and there is no door in between. I am looking forward to install a split AC and have narrowed down to Sharp and General split one's with inverter technology and 1.5T. But, the dilemma I have is, my living room is constantly facing the sun, right from 0900hrs to almost 1600hrs. Will there be efficient cooling taking into consideration that the ODU will be in the sun for major part of the day and also since the kitchen is not isolated there is surely going to be heat transfer all the time. My total usage would be around 3~4 hrs on weekdays and 7~8 hrs on weekends. Will the two mentioned factors create a deep hole in my pockets and is the 1.5T capacity sufficient enough?

Thanks.
Old 6th March 2013, 13:30   #2837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross11 View Post
Hi friends,

Thanks.
It would have better to answer your query if you had mentioned the room area also. But looking at the other factors, i do suggest to go for a 2 T. Now 2 T will cost you more initially as well as on power bills. Also, its hard to find 4 star or 5 star rated 2T with reasonable prices. Power bill expense between 1.5T and 2T are debatable, since when using 2T in a room of sufficient size of 1.5T, you tend to run 2T AC for lesser no. of hours due to more cooling in less time.
So a trade off has to be made by you, select a 2 T and enjoy better cooling as well as efficient (sunlight + kitchen heat + 3-4 hrs usage, more cooling in less time) or for the sake of economics and a little less cooling you get an advanced 1.5T.
I opted for BlueStar 2T Window AC 2 Star rated last year for my drawing room, since it's to be used too less, only when guest come and that too for 2 or 3 hours max. I am totally satisfied with my decision. It super cools our big drawing room in no time. Earlier it was that guests come and go till the time 1.5T reaches the optimum cooling levels.

Last edited by superbhikari : 6th March 2013 at 13:32. Reason: typo
Old 6th March 2013, 14:46   #2838
BANNED

One must remember than 1.5TR is the industry standard with the best deals. You can go for a 1.7-2.2 Inverter.
Old 6th March 2013, 15:54   #2839
BHPian

Quote:
Hi friends,

My living room is attached to the kitchen which has the dinning table and there is no door in between. . Will the two mentioned factors create a deep hole in my pockets and is the 1.5T capacity sufficient enough?
Thanks.
Inverter tech works best when the cooling area is optimum and the room is kind of airtight so the temp is maintained .this way the ac motor works at lower capacity. If the ac is used in living area with kitchen oven/microwave/refrigerator/ more exposure to sunlight/more people /opening and closing doors, inverter tech won't be as effective. You can check out the micro hybrid tech ac from Mitsubishi heavy industries that uses an expansion valve to regulate the compressor. they offer it as alternative to places like hospitals/ marriage palaces where inverter tech makes no sense.Also the ODU and condenser is very impressive.

All said and done even a powerful unit without any special tech makes sense as you probably will use the ac during cooking/mealtime/guests.

Compare the ODU and max wattage for given cooling. E.g.

micro hybrid ac 1.5 t uses max wattage of 1450 w vs 1800 w of 1.5t of other brands.

Last edited by drsingh : 6th March 2013 at 16:02.
Old 24th March 2013, 04:45   #2840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Got it installed today.
Attachment 1008000
Looks clean, no display on the panel.
Your install looks very neat! Was it Panasonic who did the install for you? How are the pipes/wires routed? I'm guessing the holes for the pipes to the ODU are covered by the split AC's face.
Old 24th March 2013, 19:51   #2841
Senior - BHPian

I am looking at a cost effective ac solution for a rental property.

Is the Panasonic cube ac now out of production? Flipkart seems to be saying so .

Other question is about a feedback on this ac.
I heard that we can't change blower direction? Should be ok if cooling is good.

I am looking at 1 or 1.25 ton only and if i am not wrong this cube ac is priced sub 20k

I am open for any other suggestion in this price range
Old 25th March 2013, 07:18   #2842
Distinguished - BHPian

Took the plunge here in Bangalore and bought a 1 TR Samsung 2* split for 22.4k (including standard installation) plus 2k for a V-Guard stabilizer. Sweetened the offer with a Citibank credit card deal for 0% interest plus no processing fees for 6 months!

Giving good results so far; real test to come very soon with the temperature rising. Overall, happy with my purchase.

Last edited by itwasntme : 25th March 2013 at 07:22. Reason: Addition
Old 25th March 2013, 08:59   #2843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi friends,Will there be efficient cooling taking into consideration that the ODU will be in the sun for major part of the day and also since the kitchen is not isolated there is surely going to be heat transfer all the time.
Along with the air conditioner purchase, you might want to put some sun film on the windows that take a direct hit from the sun. This will reduce the temperature a little and help improve air conditioning efficiency. Else, you are going to have a over worked air conditioner which will lead to higher power bills. It is advisable to keep the out door unit in some shelter and away from direct sunlight. At the same time, the out door unit should not be starved of any air flow around it. Check with the manufacturer on what is the maximum permissible piping length from the indoor to outdoor unit. This is to help with a better location for the out door unit.

When you do get the air conditioner, do not set the temperature too low. Many have the misconception that setting it to the lowest temperature will achieve better cooling. In ideal conditions Yes but it will also lead to much higher power consumption. In your case, set it to something like 25 degrees and check if the cooling is sufficient.

With an air conditioner running in the said conditions, be prepared for a power bill increase of about 50%.

You might want to run thick plastic curtain so it reduces the entry of heat from the kitchen in to the living room.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 25th March 2013 at 09:28.
Old 25th March 2013, 20:55   #2844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Eddy View Post
Your install looks very neat! Was it Panasonic who did the install for you? How are the pipes/wires routed? I'm guessing the holes for the pipes to the ODU are covered by the split AC's face.
Thanks. No, it was the dealer who has done the installation. Yes, that is correct.
Old 25th March 2013, 21:09   #2845
Senior - BHPian

We bought a Whirlpool 1.5 Ton Split AC - 3star rating for 27,xxx from Metro Bangalore.
Old 28th March 2013, 09:26   #2846

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post

Along with the air conditioner purchase, you might want to put some sun film on the windows that take a direct hit from the sun.

You might want to run thick plastic curtain so it reduces the entry of heat from the kitchen in to the living room.
Thanks sandeep. There is no alternative but to keep the odu in direct sunlight. But having a sun film and heavy curtain seems might help in insulating the Room to some extent.

After reading about inverter technology, have decided to go for a conventional spilt ac and save the initial high cost of ac to compensate for the power bills.

Thanks all for their views opinions and suggestions.

Regards.
Old 28th March 2013, 11:39   #2847
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks sandeep. There is no alternative but to keep the odu in direct sunlight. But having a sun film and heavy curtain seems might help in insulating the Room to some extent.

After reading about inverter technology, have decided to go for a conventional spilt ac and save the initial high cost of ac to compensate for the power bills.

Thanks all for their views opinions and suggestions.

Regards.
what is the total area that requires cooling? how many hours a day are you going to operate the unit?

I am looking for a similar solution and would like to know about yur shortlist..
Old 31st March 2013, 00:38   #2848
Senior - BHPian

Guys I need to get an A.C for my room. It will be 1.5T. Usage is moderate. We already have a LG which is pretty good.Although I would like to try something else. Service of LG has been nice. They land up the same day we give them a call. I dont need inverter A.C; its way above my budget. Please suggest a good A.C
P.S: I have to get it by Monday.
Old 31st March 2013, 10:54   #2849
Senior - BHPian

After reorganizing my house, I now have a requirement for a high efficiency AC in my computer cum office room. I am tempted to go for DC Inverter based 5* models as this will be used at least 15 hours/day for at least 7 months a year.

I would welcome user views on Daikin, LG and Hitachi 1.5 ton splits
Old 31st March 2013, 12:07   #2850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Guys I need to get an A.C for my room. It will be 1.5T. Usage is moderate. We already have a LG which is pretty good.Although I would like to try something else. Service of LG has been nice. They land up the same day we give them a call. I dont need inverter A.C; its way above my budget. Please suggest a good A.C
P.S: I have to get it by Monday.
Daikin 1.5t 2 star for 27xxx and 3 star available for 30xxx. Or look at sharp, should be around the same price as of daikin. I got sharp in my room a year back, paid 30k in all, with stablizer and all, 3 star and am very impressed with the same.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks