Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2019, 02:25   #6331
BHPian

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Hi Guys,

In the market for a 2.OT A.C for my living room.
Have heard good things about Mitsubishi.
I have also heard that there is a difference between the normal Mitsubishi and Mitsubishi Heavy Electrics A.C's.
Is this true and can someone please enlighten me on the difference.
Also, is it worthwhile investing in an "Invertor" A.C. Will it lessen the electric bills by a great amount?
Any inputs would be appreciated.
Regards,
SS
Old 21st June 2019, 06:47   #6332
Senior - BHPian

https://www.mitsubishielectric.in/ai...nditioners.php - This is the arm selling ACs in India and from which catalog I selected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
I have also heard that there is a difference between the normal Mitsubishi and Mitsubishi Heavy Electrics A.C's.
Old 21st June 2019, 11:29   #6333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Also, is it worthwhile investing in an "Invertor" A.C. Will it lessen the electric bills by a great amount?
Regards,
SS
Inverter Ac will save you power. Whether the cost difference between Inverter and a normal Split is justified will depend on whether you have any fault during the ownership period. One replacement of the MB will nullify all the cost saving in Electricity bill, and the failure rate of Inverter Ac is a bit more than the normal splits. Most of the splits I know of, have been chugging along for 10+ years (my Hitachi is now on 12th year, my neighbours LG on 15th year)

I suggest that before you get an AC consider the following points
. Warranty period
. Extended Warranty - for how long and what all is not covered
. Service costs out of warranty
. Service network and response time
. Parts availability at local depot

I have Hitachi, Daikin and LG in Delhi and my son has General in Mumbai.
. Neither Daikin or General have extended warranty schemes and their repairs are quite expensive ~ 10K each time.
. Hitachi in Delhi has iffy service and their parts especially MB and Fans are quire expensive - I had to shell out 6K+ for fan motor.
LG has the best service and extended warranty schemes. Fot around 16K I got extended warranty for each Inverter AC. This includes
. 2 Service visits a year
. All labour costs
. Everything - MB, Gas, Heat Exchangers (both ODU and IDU) are covered. Only exceptions are some small rubber and plastic parts.

Even though Daikin, General and Mitsubishi have better specs and higher efficiency, in my opinion peace of mind is worth fforgoing them.

Last edited by Aroy : 21st June 2019 at 11:32.
Old 21st June 2019, 14:21   #6334
BHPian

Aroy,
Thanks for the detailed reply. Much appreciated.

Sebring,
Thanks for the link.
How long have you had the Mitsu A.C. for? Are you happy with it's performance? What about the A.S.S.?

Regards,
SS
Old 21st June 2019, 14:34   #6335
BHPian

A few of us here recently have purchased the Mitsubishi Heavy Industries range of acs. I purchased a 5 star inverter 1.5T. Chose the MHI for the high airflow that the indoor units are capable of. In about two weeks of usage definitely feel better temperature comfort of an inverter and also seeing lower power consumption (not very significant as I am a heavy user) but will make an impact to the monthly bill I am sure.
Old 21st June 2019, 15:00   #6336
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Regards,
SS
I have purchased a MHI 2.2 ton 3 star AC for my living room. Did not go for inverter model because my hall is open on two sides (I won't get the savings from inverter ac running at low power), and the board warranty for MHI ac's is only 1 year.

The one i purchased has an excellent throw and seems well built. Only time will tell if it lasts long.
Old 21st June 2019, 20:27   #6337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav_K View Post
I have purchased a MHI 2.2 ton 3 star AC for my living room. Did not go for inverter model because my hall is open on two sides (I won't get the savings from inverter ac running at low power), and the board warranty for MHI ac's is only 1 year.

The one i purchased has an excellent throw and seems well built. Only time will tell if it lasts long.
Thanks Raghav.

Do you mind sharing the price you paid please.

Regards,
SS
Old 21st June 2019, 21:52   #6338
Senior - BHPian

I am in the market for a 1.5ton inverter AC. This is for a bedroom and will be used only in nights, a 1.3T unit should do good. My only criteria is that the AC should last at least 10 years. I currently have four options: Mitsubishi & LG from my end and Carrier & Voltas from the shop's recommendation.

MHI will break the Rs 50K barrier. The dealer has recommended Carrier instead. I have 2 LG units and both are doing fine since 2010. The dealer has recommended Voltas instead as it has 5 year warranty for electronics against 1 year offered by LG.

Kindly share your thoughts about Carrier and Voltas. Thanks.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 21st June 2019 at 21:54.
Old 22nd June 2019, 07:15   #6339
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Raghav.

Do you mind sharing the price you paid please.

Regards,
SS
I purchased SRK25-CSS @ 60,000. Installation was extra.
And regarding MHI vs Mitsubishi electric airconditioners, I'm copy pasting what i got in mail from my dealer.

Quote:
Many customers are having questions on the difference between Mitsubishi Heavy and Mitsubishi Electric. Please see below the benefits of MHI products.

Mitsubishi Heavy VS Mitsubishi Electric: Mitsubishi is one of the top aircon brands. Rightly so, many rate this brand as a top choice because of sheer reliability. However, there are several Mitsubishi air conditioners that have different performance and features. The most common Mitsubishi aircon units are Mitsubishi Heavy and Mitsubishi Electric. The two brands do not only rival in the industries, but also in the products and the units that they develop. So, between the two units, which is the most reliable?

Mitsubishi The Origin: Both the Mitsubishi Heavy and Mitsubishi Electric develop air conditioning units. Other than the name, they vary in most of other features of their units. The mother company is MHI, Initially, there used to be MHI, which was established in 1870. Nonetheless, Mitsubishi Electric was later on founded in 1920. It was still a part of the MHI Company before it split into an individual company. Since then, the two companies have rivalled in the market share, the customer base, and the products. They both develop reliable aircon units, but there is still a difference, and every customer is satisfied differently with each brand.

MHI: It might be considered the parent company, but the Mitsubishi Electric is a major challenge to it. Many are contented by the service delivery of the Mitsubishi Heavy aircon systems. They develop reliable systems that can last for long enough. Their units can also serve a bigger room, and there will be no worry, regardless of the size of the room. Benefits of the Mitsubishi Heavy A/C Units: There are plenty of advantages that are associated with the Mitsubishi Heavy units. Some of them include the following:

. Longer Experience: This is one of the top benefits of the MHI units. The company was developed in 1870, meaning that it delivers high-quality units that are reliable and efficient enough. With the long experience, the MHI units are known to be developed with the user's consideration.
. Small Aircon Systems With Top Performance: The MHI aircon units are also developed with less watt, but they can deliver top results. For instance, there are the .75 non-inverter units that are only 760 watts. Compared to other units that have 1,000 watts, the Mitsubishi Heavy delivers equal performance. With this, it will help you to save on the cost of electricity and get the best results.

Mitsubishi Heavy:
. Cost effective: The MHI units are proven to be cost effective, as they will help to cut on the costs and offer top performance. The non-inverter systems have less wattage rating, but they run on equal grounds with other units that have a higher wattage rating. This is a feature that lets you save on the costs of the electrical bills. Naturally, a higher wattage will consume more energy than a lower wattage unit. The good thing about this is that the MHI systems deliver reliable services.
. Quiet systems: With the Mitsubishi Heavy units, they run quietly, and you will not experience any noises as you are using the MHI aircon units. Regardless of the size, they will work quietly, without making any noise as the system is running.
The Drawbacks: There are no much disadvantages of the Mitsubishi Heavy units. One of the drawbacks that have been some complaints of people is the fain coil arrangement. The MHI unit comes with a fan coil that features a heat exchanger that have individual fins that are closely arranged. The fins are close to each other. It might seem attractive when the fins are closely arranged. Even though this arrangement makes the Mitsubishi Heavy units perfect coolers, they can get clogged up by jelly and dust on very rare occasions. When the fins are clogged, at times they might affect the overall performance of the unit. MHI is looking into this issue and will be addresses ASAP. Needless to mention in case of any fault, the units will be repaired / replaced free of cost.
Old 24th June 2019, 14:53   #6340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post

LG has the best service and extended warranty schemes. Fot around 16K I got extended warranty for each Inverter AC. This includes
. 2 Service visits a year
. All labour costs
. Everything - MB, Gas, Heat Exchangers (both ODU and IDU) are covered. Only exceptions are some small rubber and plastic parts.
I recently purchased a 1 ton LG dual inverter. I was also offered extended warranty for around 16k for 2 extra years. I declined as it seemed too steep. I bought a 1 ton Koryo inveter last year and I got extended warranty of 3 extra years for just Rs 1500. That warranty also supposedly includes everything. I never buy extended warranty but just 1500 for 3 years seemed like a good deal. I wouldn't want to pay almost half the price of the product for extra warranty though like LG demands. I would rather take my chances. Usually nothing happens to new machines for the first few years and that is why these extended warranties are a big money spinner for the companies that offer them.
Old 24th June 2019, 17:37   #6341
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
I recently purchased a 1 ton LG dual inverter. I was also offered extended warranty for around 16k for 2 extra years.
The cost of at least one major failure? Too much. Doesn't show much faith in the product if they are charging that much.
Old 25th June 2019, 05:25   #6342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav_K View Post
I purchased SRK25-CSS @ 60,000. Installation was extra.
And regarding MHI vs Mitsubishi electric airconditioners, I'm copy pasting what i got in mail from my dealer.
Hi Raghav,

Thanks so much for this useful information.
Much appreciated.

Regards,
SS
Old 26th June 2019, 11:30   #6343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
I recently purchased a 1 ton LG dual inverter. I was also offered extended warranty for around 16k for 2 extra years. I declined as it seemed too steep
LG charges the same for extended warranty irrespective of size (1T, 1.5T or 2T) or purchase price.

Actually the 16K extended warranty is for 4 years and not 2, so you get service for 5 years including basic warranty for the first year. Factor in 2 services a year, at least at 500 each and you have 4K. So paying 12k (which includes GST at 18%) for 4 years is not bad. One failure will take care of that.

In my case the Daikin MB is bust, and the replacement cost are upwards of 10K.

OT
The pricing of major brand inverter AC is between 40K and 60K for 1.5T. Those of other brands is around 30K, so it makes financial sense to get the 30K AC. Even if it fails in 2 years you have recovered your money.

Last edited by Aroy : 26th June 2019 at 11:33.
Old 13th July 2019, 21:33   #6344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Thanks Aroy for the response. For same rated capacity - 1 ton - and similar maximum power consumption of approx 980w (for 5 star) LG has a lower minimum cooling capacity. While for Daikin minimum is 50% of rated capacity, for LG it is 15% of rated capacity. So for low to medium cooling loads, the LG machine has potential for better power saving..
Having finally replaced my Koryo inverter with LG 1 ton 5 star dual inverter, I can report that the minimum power consumption I have observed in 215 watts. This means around 20% compressor capacity. This has still been in relatively hot climate where the outside temperature was around 32C and the target temperature was set to 29. I am waiting to see if this can drop further during cooler times.

On another note, does anyone know how we can clean the evaporator coils on these newer LG dual inverter indoor units as they don't have the normal opening where you can lift the front face plate to remove filters?
Old 13th July 2019, 21:51   #6345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I recently bought four Daikin inverter 5 star air conditioners - but I regularly use only the 1.5 ton unit in the master bed. Ten hours a day with temp set at (a high) 28 degrees, the first bi-monthly current bill was only 2100 Rs. Previous bill without a/c was 1100 Rs.
PS: 28 degree at home feels colder than the 25 degrees set at office, don't know why.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 13th July 2019 at 21:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks