Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2015, 10:26   #2191
BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Dear Windows Phone users,

I am looking to buy a budget windows Phone. Lumia 535 or 540 seem to be good options.
I have been an android user so far and would like to try windows for a change.
My question is on the processor and RAM. Most android phones at 10K come with a 2GB RAM and octa core processors, while windows phones come only with 1GB RAM.

My question is, is the 1.2 GHZ Snapdragon 200 and 1GB RAM enough for everyday use ?
I am not a heavy app user and I use my phone for apps like WhatsApp, Facebook and some shopping apps.

I have seen my friend's Lumia 520 with 512MB ram and I see no noticeable lag.

Can some one give me an assurance please.
Old 26th June 2015, 10:47   #2192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post

I am looking to buy a budget windows Phone. Lumia 535 or 540 seem to be good options.
My question is on the processor and RAM. Most android phones at 10K come with a 2GB RAM and octa core processors, while windows phones come only with 1GB RAM.

My question is, is the 1.2 GHZ Snapdragon 200 and 1GB RAM enough for everyday use ?
I am not a heavy app user and I use my phone for apps like WhatsApp, Facebook and some shopping apps.

A WP phone with 512MB RAM is more fluid than an Android phone with 2GB RAM.

I have a Lumia in my right pocket and a Samsung in my left, similar specs, but the Samsung is extremely laggy. For the most part of it, I could do with the Lumia, but for some apps, I still have to reach for the Sammy.
Old 26th June 2015, 10:57   #2193
BHPian

Checking warranty on your phone & extend it online from the phone itself

The Windows Phone Thread-lumia.jpg

Quote:
This tip makes your life bit easy in confirming whether your phone is still under warranty. We all may need or may have needed to check at times, whether our Lumias are still covered under warranty. If you don’t know how to check it on your phone, this tip will help you. Here are the steps,

Install Lumia Help + Tips from store.

When you open the Lumia Help + Tips on your phone, you will see the option of “check your warranty”

Tapping on “check your warranty” not only shows the warranty status of your device, but you can also extend warranty, if the option is offered in your market.
Source of Image & News : http://www.nokiapoweruser.com/lumia-...end-it-online/

Not related to the website just posted here for benefit of fellow BHPIANS
Old 26th June 2015, 22:21   #2194
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post

For your usage it is more than enough. I use both android and windows phone. I love android for a lot of things. But, when it comes to lag free experience for daily usage, I will always recommend windows phone. I have been using a lumia 525 since a year, and I have never experienced any kind of lag. even users with 512MB ram wont complain of any lag in windows phone when it comes to non-gaming regular usage.
Old 28th June 2015, 11:13   #2195
BHPian

1GB RAM is adequate for Windows Phone. The 2GB RAM in my Lumia 930 is overkill. Memory management and power saving features in Windows Phone is much superior to Android.
Old 29th June 2015, 10:58   #2196
BHPian

The Windows 10 Mobile Insider preview is pretty stable now (fast ring) and could be used as a daily driver. People who don't mind a light adventure can try.
Old 6th July 2015, 00:39   #2197
Senior - BHPian

Any Lumia phone with dual sim and dual 3g, where both sims can access 3g? Have my eyes on the 640, but it doesn't have dual 3g it seems.
Old 17th July 2015, 14:27   #2198
Senior - BHPian

Finally with today's update my L1520's 4G got enabled.

Lumia 1520's firmware version has been incremented to 02540.00019.15236.45004.

The Windows Phone Thread-wp_ss_20150717_0006.jpg

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 17th July 2015, 17:49   #2199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
The Windows 10 Mobile Insider preview is pretty stable now (fast ring) and could be used as a daily driver. People who don't mind a light adventure can try.
I followed your post and installed build 10166 on my L730.

Must say, it can definitely be used on the primary device. Provided the person is ok with soft resets once in a while.

The only major grouse I can have is the "Loading..." screen at the Start Menu. Apart from that, the freezing at the lock screen and the action center icons flashing after moving from 3G to 2G is the only reason I have had to soft reset up until now.

Battery life is alright. Not as good as WP 8.1 was, but yes, definitely gets through a day with ease.
Old 24th July 2015, 17:28   #2200
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone used the 640 XL. Looks real VFM. Has anyone used it? Is it worth spending 14K on it or is it better to spend double the amount on an Android Phablet or 4 times the amount on an iPhone 6+. The reviews rate it quite well and they are comparing it with the iPhone.
Old 26th July 2015, 17:00   #2201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Has anyone used the 640 XL. Looks real VFM. Has anyone used it? Is it worth spending 14K on it or is it better to spend double the amount on an Android Phablet or 4 times the amount on an iPhone 6+. The reviews rate it quite well and they are comparing it with the iPhone.
Two of my colleagues use it. One of them got it a week ago for 13300 on amazon. He has been hooked ever since. He migrated from Android due to security concerns and poor battery. I am myself using the Lumia 930. It takes getting used to Windows but I haven't looked back to Android. However apps selection is lesser than Playstore. The situation is expected to improve with the release of Windows 10
Old 26th July 2015, 23:45   #2202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranjal1984 View Post
Two of my colleagues use it. One of them got it a week ago for 13300 on amazon. He has been hooked ever since. He migrated from Android due to security concerns and poor battery. I am myself using the Lumia 930. It takes getting used to Windows but I haven't looked back to Android. However apps selection is lesser than Playstore. The situation is expected to improve with the release of Windows 10
Thanks. My old phone started giving me a lot of trouble. Had a couple of hours off from work so headed to The Mobile store in Vashi an picked up a 640 XL. Now starts the real problem. The phone is not recognizing my BSNL sim as it is a standard size one cut to Micro. I can't replace it as I'm not returning to Goa for another 3 months. I tried Activating my WhatsApp account by putting the Sim in another phone to receive the SMS. However the guys at the mobile store seemed to have damaged it so it's not working at all. Now just waiting to connect using Wifi at at least use the other features of the phone.
Old 27th July 2015, 01:12   #2203
BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone used the 640 XL.
I am using this phone currently.

+ve
Large screen size , easy to read, browse, write emails, attend calls, type numbers etc.
Sunlight reading ability
Battery ife
1GB ram, haven't seen the 'loading' screen so far but am using it without the sad card. So maybe that's the reason.

-ve
Peeps out from the shirt pocket and can potentially fall if one is running or so.make sure it's in your pant pocket and should be a deep pocket.
8GB internal memory. I keep deleting the whatsapp folder and transfer the photos and videos out of the phone . By doing this I have around 2 GB free. If I use the full ability of the camera and HD video recording, the memory gets filled fast. I can use the class 10 32/64 GB Micro SD cards but nothing matches the in built memory storage for transfer speeds IMO

I bought this phone for the screen size 5.5 inch . Was using the lumia 625 earlier. This guy is light when compared to the 625 and better equipped too. So far good.

Last edited by TorqMaster : 27th July 2015 at 01:36. Reason: Misc
Old 27th July 2015, 06:26   #2204
BANNED

Quote:
The phone is not recognizing my BSNL sim as it is a standard size one cut to Micro.

I had this problem with a Lumia (not 640XL) also. It worked with 2 different cut SIMs but with a 3rd cut one, it worked fine for a month and then stopped recognising it. I replaced it with a different cut one (the store did not have microSIMs) and it started working again. But I got them to order a microSIM and replaced the working cut SIM as soon they got it just to be safe. The same cut SIM which stopped working on a Lumia worked on a Moto E. I think Lumias are a little more sensitive to cut SIMs than other phones.
Old 27th July 2015, 22:21   #2205
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the issue got resolved on it's own. The phone is working now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks