Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2015, 16:30   #2161
BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Jumping on the thread after long time.

Happened to migrate from Android device to Windows (newly launched Microsoft Lumia 532) this Gudipadwa (late Mar/Apr-15).

Could take advantage of Gudipadwa special offer in Nokia Store Thane, Lumia 532 costed Rs. 6200 (received 16GB SD Card, Scrtach Guard and Cover complimentary as part of special offer).

Sharing some experience/insight based on usage over last couple of months,

- Could easily synch-up my office e-mails/calendar, as well as Gmail

- Microsoft OneDrive (cloud solution) is very easy to use and I received 30GB of free cloud storage space. Photos/contacts get backup automatically to cloud. I find OneDrive very useful. I can quickly create folders on One Drive, move photos and share link with my contacts.

- Am no fan of apps/games, whatever basic apps I need are already there on phone or available on store.

- Lumia Storyteller is a useful apps to quickly upload and share photo weblinks with your friends/relatives

- HereDrive / HereMaps apps are very useful, have downloaded 1.2 GB of India Maps in phone, with that GPS works even when data connection isn't there. Completed 5000KMs trip up north recently guided by HereDrive.

- TrueCaller is another built-in app which am finding very useful to find identity of unknown numbers and save valid ones in my addressbook with one touch.

- Battery lasts 2 days (though it's just 1400-1500 mah)

- Phone has 5MP read camera and VGA front camera. One of the drawback with camera is, no Zoom, no Flash, however, those weren't really high on my priority list.

- My main reason to go for this was due to it's Perfect Size, Thickness, Decent Build Quality/Design, OS, Free 30GB Cloud Storage, Free MS Office, Decent Hardware (1.2GHz Quadcore, 1 GB RAM, 8 GB built storage) and availability required built in Apps.

Considering money you pay for the phone, believe it offers unbelievable value.

Would highly recommend Microsoft Lumia 532 to anyone fade up with Android and looking out for a punchy/VFM budget Smart phone.
Old 27th May 2015, 16:51   #2162
Senior - BHPian

Got Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2 (GDR2) today. Went from,
Name:  old.png
Views: 773
Size:  29.3 KB
to
Name:  new.png
Views: 777
Size:  27.6 KB

List of changes: http://www.windowscentral.com/quick-...ne-81-update-2
Old 27th May 2015, 19:00   #2163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Got Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2 (GDR2) today. Went from,
How is the performance of Win Xolo Q900s ?

I am looking to change my 39 months old Samsung Omnia W.

Just came across XOLO Win Q1000 @ Rs 6000/- i am very much impressed with looks and decent hardware on offer. I have Iphone 5C as my primary phone, this will be my secondary phone for office calls and emails.
Old 27th May 2015, 22:34   #2164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
How is the performance of Win Xolo Q900s ?
I had paid around Rs 8000 when it was launched. Its USP is that it is the slimmest Windows Phone in the universe. It is just 7.1mm thick and same as iPhone 6 in dimensions . Looks good and flip cover in the cover looks better than those provided by Samsung in their 20K phones.

Now the pain points. Wifi reception is terrible. You have to be within 15 feet from the router to have any kind of reception. I reported this to Xolo service center and but they didn't have much to say. Audio via speaker isn't that good. My router is near me and listen to audio via earphones. So these isn't much problems for me.

Coming to software, the default video player in WP8 cannot play .MP4 files. So I had to use MoliPlayer. But with this GDR2 update, the default player plays all formats except divx.

Syncing with PC is via Windows Phone app for Desktop. It connects to iTunes for syncing podcasts, videos (). It crashes iTunes often.

Nothing much else.

PS: I had Omnia W (still have it). After Microsoft was unable to upgrade their phones from WP7 to WP8, I decided to change. I knew WP10 phones will be out soon. So I didn't go for a full feature WP8 phone.

Last edited by msdivy : 27th May 2015 at 22:35.
Old 28th May 2015, 13:29   #2165
BHPian

Quote:
Now the pain points. Wifi reception is terrible. You have to be within 15 feet from the router to have any kind of reception. I reported this to Xolo service center and but they didn't have much to say. Audio via speaker isn't that good.
Thanks for your frank opinion .

Even with the limitations of WP7 my Omnia W is still going strong with none of the aforementioned problems.

I am in no hurry so holding back my purchase, might have a look at Moto G2 or G3 whenever launched.
Old 28th May 2015, 14:09   #2166
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I knew WP10 phones will be out soon. So I didn't go for a full feature WP8 phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
I am in no hurry so holding back my purchase, might have a look at Moto G2 or G3 whenever launched.
If you're looking at Windows 10 phones, the buzz on the Internet is that we should see a reveal of their flagship by August, with a release in Q4 of this year. And those rumours claim that the Windows 10 flagship will be a true flagship, not a half-hearted affair.
Old 28th May 2015, 14:29   #2167
Senior - BHPian

I had given my Lumia 720 for repairs to Nokia Care on April 30th for the touch panel to be replaced. Luckily, I had bought extended warranty and would get the repair done free of cost.

The Care Centre claimed it would take 15-20 working days.

I tracked the status of the repair online using the IMEI and it showed as In Repair for over 12 working days, when the status said it should take 7-10 business days. I mailed them and asked them why the delay.

They called me the next day and asked me if I would be ok with the Lumia 630 as a replacement. I flatly refused. It is ridiculous to take a phone costing Rs. 8000 as a replacement for a phone that cost me Rs. 16500.

I asked them for the Lumia 730 or my own phone, repaired. They said the Lumia 730 will take time as it is not in stock. I told them I will wait, I have no problem.

I mailed them again later telling them how it is odd that e-Commerce sites have stock the Lumia 730 but the manufacturer does not.

I got a call again today and the person told me that I will receive my phone by June 1st week. Either my own phone, after being repaired or a new Lumia 720, Lumia 730 or a Lumia 735.

The last option is the least likely since the Lumia 735 hasn't been launched in India yet.

Fingers crossed and hoping to get an upgrade next week!

That said, if I do get the Lumia 720 back after being repaired, how much can I expect it to be sold for considering it is in immaculate condition and still under warranty?

I would like to get a new phone before the warranty of the old phone expires.

Will not be jumping ship to Android, especially with WP10 coming.

It will be the Lumia 730 or maybe, just maybe, the Lumia 830.
Old 29th May 2015, 07:58   #2168
Senior - BHPian

A nice app for Maruti owners.

http://m.windowscentral.com/maruti-c...r-owners-india
Old 6th June 2015, 10:44   #2169
BHPian

I was randomly browsing the forums when I stumbled upon 'Shifting Gears'. It's a whole different world here that I never knew existed!

I have a Lumia 1520 with Denim installed.

Now that I'm here, does any other WP user feel left out when they see that iOS and Android have a Team Bhp app but not us?
Old 6th June 2015, 14:02   #2170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS8939 View Post
Now that I'm here, does any other WP user feel left out when they see that iOS and Android have a Team Bhp app but not us?
The new mobile theme works great. Don't see the need for an app. But that's just my opinion.
Old 6th June 2015, 21:21   #2171
BHPian

I also own Lumia 1520 with Denim and waiting for GDR2.

I agree with SS8939. I feel Team BHP app for Windows phone is required.
Old 6th June 2015, 23:15   #2172
Senior - BHPian

So the saga of my Lumia 720 in repair appears to near an end.

After giving my phone for repair on the 30th of April, a few E-Mails over the week and a few calls, looks like I will be receiving a Lumia 730 as a replacement by the 12th of June.

The only problem I have here is, the warranty for the Lumia 730 will expire on the same date as my Lumia 720 would have- this August.

So, I am looking to sell the Lumia 730 as soon as I get it for around Rs. 10000 and then get a new Lumia 730 for myself. I can then extend the warranty period by another year and be at peace.

I am also considering holding off buying the Lumia 730 IF a Lumia 740 is on the horizon.

Any suggestions?
Old 7th June 2015, 09:18   #2173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
So the saga of my Lumia 720 in repair appears to near an end.

After giving my phone for repair on the 30th of April, a few E-Mails over the week and a few calls, looks like I will be receiving a Lumia 730 as a replacement by the 12th of June.

The only problem I have here is, the warranty for the Lumia 730 will expire on the same date as my Lumia 720 would have- this August.

So, I am looking to sell the Lumia 730 as soon as I get it for around Rs. 10000 and then get a new Lumia 730 for myself. I can then extend the warranty period by another year and be at peace.

I am also considering holding off buying the Lumia 730 IF a Lumia 740 is on the horizon.

Any suggestions?
Have you already extended the warranty before? If not then purchase extended warranty. I don't think selling it can solve the problem since the buyer will ask for invoice or warranty details. This might break the deal. Instead, keep the 730. It's a beautiful phone and I don't think the quality is bad at all. Unless you are not lucky for the second time, the phone doesn't look like it will screw up.
Old 7th June 2015, 09:23   #2174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Have you already extended the warranty before? If not then purchase extended warranty. I don't think selling it can solve the problem since the buyer will ask for invoice or warranty details. This might break the deal. Instead, keep the 730. It's a beautiful phone and I don't think the quality is bad at all. Unless you are not lucky for the second time, the phone doesn't look like it will screw up.
The invoice, well, I will apparently have a note from Nokia that tells me this is a replacement phone. Perhaps that can serve as the invoice?

Oh, the Lumia 720 served me really really, well.

I bought it way back in August, 2013. So yes, I did buy Extended Warranty for the Lumia 720 already.

So I am not sure they can offer Extended Warranty again on the Lumia 730. :(

The Lumia 730 is class phone, no doubt. But given how useful the warranty was this time around, I am sceptical to keep it without warranty. The warranty got me a new phone after all and in the case of repair, it would've saved me Rs. 9220!
Old 7th June 2015, 12:18   #2175
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I have a Nokia Lumia which developed a problem a few weeks back. It would shut off when there was some pressure applied on the phone body. It was difficult to figure out and isolate pressure applied from where would do it. It could be as light as the pressure against my face when I am talking on the phone. Or if I put the phone in my jeans pocket, that would be enough to shut it off. And sometimes, it wouldn't start up easily after it shut off - had to try 2-3 times before it would restart. Before I could take it to the service center for warranty, the problem altogether disappeared after a week or two. Now what do I do? If I take it to the service center I won't be able to demonstrate the problem (the problem was difficult to demonstrate even in the couple of weeks it happened). I am pretty sure the problem will recur after my warranty period finishes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks