Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2012, 19:40   #661
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
It is other way round. I have WP7 phone and app is WP8. I am referring to Flyte app from Flipkart. It is advertised on their website, but not available for download from Marketplace. Then I realised it is only for WP8, so I am not able to see it in Marketplace.
I think this has something to do with the region. I cannot see that app even on my phone even though my phone has WP8. The email address that I use is registered in the US, so I'm guessing this is most certainly something to do with region.

On my HD2 also I could not see apps that were marked India only even though that phone was on WP7.5 and later on WP7.8.
Old 3rd December 2012, 19:53   #662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
I think this has something to do with the region. I cannot see that app even on my phone even though my phone has WP8. The email address that I use is registered in the US, so I'm guessing this is most certainly something to do with region.

On my HD2 also I could not see apps that were marked India only even though that phone was on WP7.5 and later on WP7.8.
Quote:
It is other way round. I have WP7 phone and app is WP8. I am referring to Flyte app from Flipkart. It is advertised on their website, but not available for download from Marketplace. Then I realised it is only for WP8, so I am not able to see it in Marketplace.

Ideally it should be displayed in Marketplace irrespective of phone OS. If its not compatible, you will get error.

See if you can find Scan code for this app. [I tried looking, however could not find for Flyte app]

Something like below, then use scan apps and decode it. That will list the app directly in Marketplace.
Attached Images

Old 3rd December 2012, 22:47   #663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am referring to Flyte app from Flipkart. It is advertised on their website, but not available for download from Marketplace.
Quote:
I think this has something to do with the region. I cannot see that app even on my phone even though my phone has WP8.
Checked the Flyte app link from the flipkart site, the link points to Windows Store and the app mentions it is for Windows 8 and Windows RT. This is not a phone app.

BTW, I have India live id. If there is a link to phone marketplace, I can check if it comes for WP7. From what I've heard most WP8 specific apps are the ones that leverage some of the new hardware components. Even in WP7, there are apps that do not allow install since the phone hardware doesn't support it. Things that would work on both are likely to be released for both.
Old 4th December 2012, 04:32   #664
BHPian

A few updates on the 920:

(i) Sometimes, the phone hangs up for no apparent reason. But, the number is still way lower than what I was facing on my Galaxy S.

(ii) The battery is amazing. I ended up getting two days of battery once. On some days, it acts up though. Starts discharging at a much faster rate. Not sure why. Anyway, again, this is a big improvement over the Galaxy S.

(iii) The UI is silky smooth. I thought it'd start lagging after a month or so, but it's still going good.

(iv) The color red is attracting a lot of attention. Not sure, I'd want that much attention but good to know others are excited about the phone as well.

(v) The camera is quite nice, I am yet to push it to its limits, but so far so good.

(vi) The GPS works like a charm and Nokia Drive Beta+ is amazing. And free music from Nokia is even better.

If you're in the market for a big WP8 phone, I'd recommend the 920. I considered 8x for a while but then went with this because it was cheaper and I am happy I did.
Old 4th December 2012, 08:10   #665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
If you're in the market for a big WP8 phone, I'd recommend the 920. I considered 8x for a while but then went with this because it was cheaper and I am happy I did.
Are you sure 920 is cheaper than 8X? I thought it was the other way. AFAIK, 8X is around 35k and the expected price for 920 as I heard is around 40k. How much did you get your 920 for?
Old 4th December 2012, 10:51   #666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Checked the Flyte app link from the flipkart site, the link points to Windows Store and the app mentions it is for Windows 8 and Windows RT. This is not a phone app.

Oh Ok. Thanks for pointing out. App Store for mainstream windows is new thing. I interpreted it as Windows phone marketplace.

Quote:
A few updates on the 920:

(i) Sometimes, the phone hangs up for no apparent reason. But, the number is still way lower than what I was facing on my Galaxy S.
To think of it, I realised that my Lumia 800 has not hanged for even once during last one year. This is incredible. I have not seen any other IT device (barring mainframe or highend servers) that worked this smoothly.
Old 4th December 2012, 11:17   #667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just checked on my PC's store and yes I can see it there. Thanks for pointing this out.
Old 4th December 2012, 11:21   #668
BHPian

Quote:
To think of it, I realised that my Lumia 800 has not hanged for even once during last one year. This is incredible. I have not seen any other IT device (barring mainframe or highend servers) that worked this smoothly.
Lucky you! My 800 has hung around a half-dozen times since last year. And I find that the system doesn't immediately respond if you End Call. It takes a few seconds before touchscreen become alive again. Quite annoying.

And the camera sucks.

But otherwise, I'm quite happy with the 800 as a hardware device. Windows phone 7.5 OS itself has some rough edges, but it's so pretty!
Old 4th December 2012, 11:33   #669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To think of it, I realised that my Lumia 800 has not hanged for even once during last one year.
Maps & navigation is the weak point of Windows phones. I have had my phone locked up (had to remove battery) while using maps & sometimes during games. I stopped using maps & stopped playing games after I got my Android tablet. My phone runs like charm now its probably 2 or 3 months since I restarted my phone.
Old 4th December 2012, 14:57   #670
BHPian

Quote:
920 cheaper than the 8X?

How much did you buy it for? Where did you get it from?
Old 4th December 2012, 16:06   #671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure 920 is cheaper than 8X? I thought it was the other way. AFAIK, 8X is around 35k and the expected price for 920 as I heard is around 40k. How much did you get your 920 for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by punto_ View Post
920 cheaper than the 8X?

How much did you buy it for? Where did you get it from?
Guys, Hellwrath is in the US presently and over there the 920 is actually cheaper than the 8X.
Old 4th December 2012, 20:57   #672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d

Guys, Hellwrath is in the US presently and over there the 920 is actually cheaper than the 8X.
So it's ATT version? Where did you get it unlocked? I'll also try to get one if its easy to unlock here in India.
Old 4th December 2012, 21:13   #673
BHPian

Quote:
Nice! That award goes to my old Palm Treo 650. Didn't freeze even once, what a robust piece of machine that was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Maps & navigation is the weak point of Windows phones. I have had my phone locked up (had to remove battery) while using maps & sometimes during games. I stopped using maps & stopped playing games after I got my Android tablet. My phone runs like charm now its probably 2 or 3 months since I restarted my phone.
Not sure about which phone you are using, but Nokia Drive is a pleasure to use. My friend was struggling with his Galaxy S3 as the GPS device when we were driving around. It wouldn't warn us about an exit we need to take ahead of time. For example, it'd say drive 5 miles on I-495N and then take the so and so exit. Usually, the other devices tell you, the exit is 1 mile away and so on. In this case, it'd tell us as soon as we get to the exit. That's pretty bad IMO. So, we switched to the 920 and had a smooth drive from there on.

Quote:
Thanks Vikram for clearing that up for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punto_ View Post
So it's ATT version? Where did you get it unlocked? I'll also try to get one if its easy to unlock here in India.
It's the ATT version and I am still here and don't intend to get it unlocked for a while. It costs around $100 ($50 in a few stores) with contract. The 8x costs $99 and $199.
Old 5th December 2012, 00:03   #674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sometimes, the phone hangs up for no apparent reason.
Just curious how you come out of the hung state. In my WP7, I do it by removing the battery. In case of 8X and 920, don't know how we can do this with the integrated battery!
Old 5th December 2012, 05:49   #675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just curious how you come out of the hung state. In my WP7, I do it by removing the battery. In case of 8X and 920, don't know how we can do this with the integrated battery!
WP OS has a built in reset function. If it hangs, then the OS auto reboots.

One way to get the phone to manually reset is to open the sim card slot. Doing this shuts down the phone.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks