Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2012, 20:18   #511
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

+3 to the above post. This is not against the drawbacks, as they are a part and parcel with WP, but when it comes to user friendliness, performance, transitions etc, I am totally satisfied and so are three other people. It all started when I saw the 710 and purchased it. Then it was my uncle who got a lumia 800 for himself after looking at my phone. After my friends saw the phone, one bought a black 710. Two days back, another friend was searching for a phone in the 10k range. She purchased a pink Lumia 610.

I agree that Nokia seems to be going down, and buying a WP 7.5 is not a wise decision now. But I did not speak a word about my phone to my friends and uncle. They saw the phone, purchased it and came back to me telling their experience. One headturner the phone has become. One problem I do not like is the lack of customisation of menus backgrounds etc. Other than that, I am pleased with the phone.
Old 18th July 2012, 20:32   #512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
No sir itseems ive been wrongly taken.

Apologies if you felt wrongly intepreted. I was just stating my views.

Best regards
Partha.
Sir, firstly lets make it clear that both of us are not fanboys of any platform. And please, even i was stating my views on the topic and apologies from me too if i sounded harsh and/or pissed off. Now, to the topic.

1. Those who consider iPhone as a Colossus towering over other phones are wrong. So lets not drag it into this. It is an overpriced gadget which most people buy for showing off as an status symbol rather than anything practical.

2. Now, i am not saying that Lumia or Microsoft is bad. I just want to know if a phone resulting from the combined efforts of world's mobile hardware(okay, lets make it ex) giant and software giant can have so many faults. I just want to know if the above faults are true or not.

Regards,
Misbah Ahmed.
Old 18th July 2012, 21:13   #513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post
OS LIMITATIONS
Adding one more:
123. Cannot paste number in the dialer.

Only reason I have WP7 is it integrates 'perfectly' with Exchange/Outlook/Gmail to sync office & personal mails, calendar. Due to security reasons, I don't want to use my phone as a pen drive. Item 61, 74 are incorrect. Except for item 123, I never missed the other of 122.
Old 18th July 2012, 23:00   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven

Sir, firstly lets make it clear that both of us are not fanboys of any platform. And please, even i was stating my views on the topic and apologies from me too if i sounded harsh and/or pissed off.

2. Now, i am not saying that Lumia or Microsoft is bad. I just want to know if a phone resulting from the combined efforts of world's mobile hardware(okay, lets make it ex) giant and software giant can have so many faults. I just want to know if the above faults are true or not.

Regards,
Misbah Ahmed.
Friend dont worry. I was never angry or pissed. I just voiced how windows phone suited well for my needs.

Now coming to the faults listed most of them are true but then its just a list of faults. There are 2 sides to a coin. If i take android or symbian or iOS and list its faults trust me the list will be as long as this or even big. Many features were not available in other OSes which was present in windowsphone 7.5.

Live tiles was a revolutionary thing when it was introduced. All the competitiors were scratching their heads how to come up with a better notification system than that whereas independent developers made apps that replicated live tiles for other OSes.

Points 22 and 23 are completely wrong as it works flawlessly in my car.

About bing maps ive never used it as Lumia phones come with Nokia's revolutionary Maps navigation free for lifetime and nothing else beats that not even google maps.(i may get pelted with stones for this).

Why i am drawing comparisons with other OS is the above list just lists out the bad points of wp without saying that these features are absent even in other OSes. It seems to be the last cry of a Symbian fanboy who is devastated Symbian is losing grip in the market. Hardly any apps are being developed for Symbian these days. Symbian had a monopoly back then but it lacked a competitive edge to defend its position in the market and just kept feeding the customers the same crap with every release.

Just look at a Nokia 6600 and Nokia N8. Hardly any difference other than the looks and other new tech like GPS, better camera etc. So when newer Smartphone OSes came people realised that they were being fed crap in the form of Symbian and moved to other OSes. Hence Symbian lost the fight. Now fanboys just come out with feature lists absent in newer OSes.

Im not a fanboy of any OS at all. Every OS has something to offer over the other. Windows Phone trademark was LiveTiles. That was the best notification feature ive seen till date and still amazed by it everyday. iOS best feature i feel is the keyboard. No other OS or add on keyboards match the intuitiveness of the iOS keyboard. Android's best feature is the ability to customise the UI unlimitedly which other OSes dont offer.

When we think of buying a phone we see whether it suits our needs and how easy it is to use from the get go. Till date windowsphone has hardly given me a problem no matter how many tasks ive run on it and internet is fastest i feel even better than my GNote and iOS devices. And this im talking of 3g on the same sim card. Whereas every other device has hung many times when i use it over a period of time.

I just want to clarify that if one only wants to look at the bad points of anything then he will get to see only bad. Its the good things that make our lives better. Windowsphone like every other OS also offers good fast mobility features.

We Can say its like a petrol figo(i drive one ). Figo has so many bad things like low mileage, underpowered etc etc but when you do high speeds on it and carve corners on the twisties, you do it with a big smile on your face whereas other car drivers tend to break some sweat. You therefore have to look at the good things to enjoy windowsphones. Lumia 800 camera offers continuous autofocus in still and video modes. So many other features are there and those good features are listed on Nokia's product pages

I hope you dont feel offended by my comments friend. No OS is bad but looking only at bad things is only going to make one depressed.

I can only conclude the post with the words To each his own. What suits me may not be your cup of tea. So whatever one feels comfortable with, one should use it and not go by the opinion of a crowd. One usually tends to miss out the good things in life if one follows the crowd.

Once again i dont wish to offend you by my comments. To say the truth ive a device from every OS and i find each to be good in its own right. They deliver what they promise. Im not biased towards any single OS or any other thing in life.

Cheers.
Old 19th July 2012, 21:43   #515
Distinguished - BHPian

Where is the forward button in IE? :O Am not finding it anywhere. Excuse my ignorance.
Old 20th July 2012, 05:56   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Adding one more:
123. Cannot paste number in the dialer.

Only reason I have WP7 is it integrates 'perfectly' with Exchange/Outlook/Gmail to sync office & personal mails, calendar. Due to security reasons, I don't want to use my phone as a pen drive. Item 61, 74 are incorrect. Except for item 123, I never missed the other of 122.
use an app called 'rapdialer' much better than default dialer, you can paste number in that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Where is the forward button in IE? :O Am not finding it anywhere. Excuse my ignorance.
there is no forward button in IE unfortunately, but you can access forward page by using IE history
Old 20th July 2012, 10:19   #517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
There is no forward button. A simple javascript trick can add 'Forward' 7 'Find' hacks. Check here: AddictiveTips » Blog ArchiveHow To Add "Forward" & "Find On Page" Shortcuts To IE 9 In WP Mango
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindgrinder View Post
use an app called 'rapdialer' much better than default dialer, you can paste number in that.
Thanks, will try.
Old 24th July 2012, 12:14   #518
Team-BHP Support

I got the update for my HTC HD7. It's 7.10.8773.98 now.

Someone care to explain what's the new stuff I've got? The update definition on the website was very vague.
Old 25th July 2012, 10:37   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I got the update for my HTC HD7. It's 7.10.8773.98 now.

Someone care to explain what's the new stuff I've got? The update definition on the website was very vague.
There is nothing that you will experience in terms of feature. Only change I have seen is, you can silence the ringing by turning the phone upside down. Also as per documentation there are some changes for MMS and SIM contacts that I do not use anyway.
Old 25th July 2012, 10:48   #520
BHPian

Nokia helpline & service center attitude sucks !

I would suggest dont even think of considering a Nokia phone, the quality is just not what it used to be, plus attitude of Nokia is disappointing.

My Nokia N8 had a major failure recently where a lot of parts had to be changed. The service center has pathetic response & i was treated like crap.

The helpline is utterly useless and the whole impression is that this company is sinking quickly & cares two hoots about your problems. Dont risk more than a thousand rupees or so on their basic phones.

Nokia will surely shut down soon with their current rate of decline.
Old 26th July 2012, 10:46   #521
BHPian

Re: Nokia helpline & service center attitude sucks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
I would suggest dont even think of considering a Nokia phone, the quality is just not what it used to be, plus attitude of Nokia is disappointing.
This is OT as your phone is not Windows phone. But, my exprience is different. I am a happy Nokia customer from long time. Though there were few problems with handset, there was never any service and attitude issue.

My earlier phone E5 (one of the best phone I used) started rebooting. I contacted Nokia Care, they tried two times correcting the problem, but third time they just given me brand new handset.

When I got Lumia 800, I once told them on phone that batterry looks weak. They sent me a new handset with a beautiful bluetooth handsfree set as gift.
Old 26th July 2012, 19:59   #522
BHPian

Well, good for you that they gave you a brand new phone over a phone complaint !! Did they come to your location & verify if the phone is working fine or not ?

All i got was some lady who new few words of English and had to repeat myself to be understood. It was like speaking to a incompetent in some call centre in the middle of the jungle, the experience was that bad.

Even after 5 reminders, they are yet to respond to my complaint, its been almost a month now, i feel cheated and betrayed that my trust in Nokia has been flushed down the drain. Hence am posting my experiences so that others dont meet the same fate !!

Last edited by nirmaljusdoit : 26th July 2012 at 20:01.
Old 26th July 2012, 21:35   #523
BHPian

Bad news for current windows phone 7 users.

Microsoft has announced that current Windows Phone 7 users will not be able to upgrade to the upcoming Windows phone 8. Latest they will be able to upgrade to Windows Phone 7.8 which will carry the new Metro interface from windows 8.
Old 26th July 2012, 21:50   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
There is nothing that you will experience in terms of feature. Only change I have seen is, you can silence the ringing by turning the phone upside down. Also as per documentation there are some changes for MMS and SIM contacts that I do not use anyway.
there is wi-fi tethering (internet sharing) option available in settings now, so you can use your phone as wi-fi hotspot, plus you can install Nokia Music now with unlimited song download both bollywood and other genres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
This is OT as your phone is not Windows phone. But, my exprience is different. I am a happy Nokia customer from long time. Though there were few problems with handset, there was never any service and attitude issue.

My earlier phone E5 (one of the best phone I used) started rebooting. I contacted Nokia Care, they tried two times correcting the problem, but third time they just given me brand new handset.

When I got Lumia 800, I once told them on phone that batterry looks weak. They sent me a new handset with a beautiful bluetooth handsfree set as gift.
Me too got a new phone with Nokia J headset!

Quote:
Well, good for you that they gave you a brand new phone over a phone complaint !! Did they come to your location & verify if the phone is working fine or not ?

All i got was some lady who new few words of English and had to repeat myself to be understood. It was like speaking to a incompetent in some call centre in the middle of the jungle, the experience was that bad.

Even after 5 reminders, they are yet to respond to my complaint, its been almost a month now, i feel cheated and betrayed that my trust in Nokia has been flushed down the drain. Hence am posting my experiences so that others dont meet the same fate !!
try posting on twitter for @nokiaindia and also @selop in same post they will respond asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post
Bad news for current windows phone 7 users.

Microsoft has announced that current Windows Phone 7 users will not be able to upgrade to the upcoming Windows phone 8. Latest they will be able to upgrade to Windows Phone 7.8 which will carry the new Metro interface from windows 8.
old news buddy, 7.8 and 8 are different platforms although feature list is still not out yet, possibly Nokia will try to cover as many features as possible, without some due to hardware limitations for example NFC.

---guys let's suggest apps to each other in this thread---
i saw a cool one for all us car phanatics called 'Rims and Tyres' it calculates Rims and tyre upgrade options.

Last edited by Mindgrinder : 26th July 2012 at 21:53.
Old 27th July 2012, 11:30   #525
BHPian

Quote:

For Lumia 800, they just replaced the phone without checking the problem. For E5 I had to go to Nokia Care few times.

The way Nokia Care works is, if there are three service complaints registered for same problem for phone under warranty, they will replace the handset. Is your phone under warranty?

I agree that the call center is not at all useful. Better you viist Nokia Care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindgrinder View Post
there is wi-fi tethering (internet sharing) option available in settings now, so you can use your phone as wi-fi hotspot, plus you can install Nokia Music now with unlimited song download both bollywood and other genres.
Internet Sharing was already available on non Nokia windows phone. This was installed on Nokia phone through Nokia update and not Tango update.

Nokia Music is news to me. How do I install that?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks