Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2012, 17:46   #496
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Zune today said that there is an update. First update to version 7.10.8112.7. next update was to 7.10.8773.98. Final update was Samsung. Nothing has broken so far and I don't see any visible difference due to the update.
It's not a major update. Just some small functionality tweaks that should have been there since day one.

New Windows Phone Tango Features and Changes - xda-developers
Old 18th July 2012, 11:28   #497
BHPian

Quote:
Zune today said that there is an update. First update to version 7.10.8112.7. next update was to 7.10.8773.98. Final update was Samsung. Nothing has broken so far and I don't see any visible difference due to the update.

If i am not wrong you are using Omnia W, can you please confirm about Static IP option available in WIFI ?

I had forced one update to 7.10.8112.7 yesterday as zune is still not showing update for my omnia. I had googled for forced update procedure.
As far as Samsung update after 7.10.8773.98 is concerned few of them on XDA are complaining more of battery drain.

Can you confirm the same ?
Old 18th July 2012, 13:55   #498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d
Opera Mini is quite good on WinMo 6.5.
But Opera does not have the option of "Copy/Paste" which IE provides.
The "Copy/Paste" Option helps to copy required contents from/to the webpage.

No one has replied to the query of App. similar to Talking Tom in Android for WP 6.5.

The Market Place on Windows Phone Site has the Talking Tiger but for WP7.
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/ap...3-11fbd9d1f1e0
Old 18th July 2012, 14:30   #499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
If i am not wrong you are using Omnia W, can you please confirm about Static IP option available in WIFI ?
All the Wifi networks I connect are DHCP enabled. Here I cannot edit the IP address. I don't know if I can set the IP address if wifi router doesn't provide one. To test static IP, I have to change my the router configuration.
PS: Any reason for setting a static IP on a Wifi?
Quote:
As far as Samsung update after 7.10.8773.98 is concerned few of them on XDA are complaining more of battery drain.
Haven't noticed yet. But the battery saver gives almost the same figures.

Last edited by msdivy : 18th July 2012 at 14:31.
Old 18th July 2012, 14:43   #500
BHPian

Quote:
PS: Any reason for setting a static IP on a Wifi?
My Office DHCP settings are a hell lot of confusion for my office IT Guy as DHCP is not providing proper settings to my Omnia W, he says saar why you bought Windows phone you should have got android or an Iphone .

Vikram_d knows my situation well, how eager I am to get Static IP working for WIFI.

Edit: which software you use for battery saver ?

Last edited by driving_smartly : 18th July 2012 at 14:45.
Old 18th July 2012, 15:08   #501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
Edit: which software you use for battery saver ?
Built-in, the same one under 'Settings'.
Old 18th July 2012, 15:32   #502
BHPian

Quote:
Built-in, the same one under 'Settings'.

Ok, I thought you got some software like the ones in android
Old 18th July 2012, 17:50   #503
BHPian

Source: {101 Reasons Not to Buy A Windows Phone 7.5 :: My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum}.

" WP7.5 (Mango) is already in its second generation but it still has many restrictions, limitations and serious usability issues. This is a list of its shortcomings as compared with other smartphone OS in the market. We are not comparing special features or abilities but those which have become the norm for all smartphones and even dumb phones. An Android, Symbian or MeeGo phone would have very few of these shortcomings. An iphone share some restrictions with WP7.5 but is still miles ahead. Even the Nokia N9 running the first generation MeeGo OS is far better with none of the disastrous issues which impact on the sheer usability of the phone. "

-From the Site

Now I have not used a Windows 7.5 Phone, so I will not say anything. But I want to know from existing users about which of the following points are correct. Even if 50% are correct, Microsoft is surely taking us for a ride.

OS LIMITATIONS

1. No true multitasking - all apps are frozen in the background except for some built-in apps like Zune player.
2. No Divx/Xvid video codec support. Zune will convert with loss of quality.
3. No mass storage mode.
4. No micro-SD card support.
5. No file manager. Directory system is totally opaque.
6. Need Zune to transfer files. Zune will only transfer photos, videos & music. All other files need to email/upload to you.
7. Your contact details are automatically uploaded to cloud service whether you like it or not.
8. Limited to 800x480 resolution.
9. Voice search is hardwired to Bing.
10. Need to edit an MP3 file with strict constraints to be used as a ringtone.
11. Cannot set static IP address so no connection to ad-hoc networks.
12. No VPN support for this “corporate enterprise” phone.
13. Cannot sync directly with Outlook without syncing to Cloud
14. Totally closed OS, cannot side load apps outside MS Marketplace.
15. System font size cannot be changed.
16. Images and photos cannot be renamed in the phone.
17. Windows Live ID account cannot change country once set.
18. No centralized notification page.
19. Alarm clock cannot work when phone is turned off. All Nokia Symbian and Meego phones can do this.
20. The idle screen is completely black and cannot display time or notifications.
21. Only photos allowed as email attachments, documents not allowed.
22. No rSAP Bluetooth profile for car audio streaming. This excludes many popular makes of cars.
23. Cannot stream audio from video to Bluetooth devices (No A2DP profile).
24. Tiles are fixed size and for many functions is a waste of space.
25. Cannot use Bluetooth keyboard.
26. Very limited customization option.
27. 3rd party apps cannot put notifications on the lock screen
28. No over the air (OTA) firmware upgrade. All upgrades must be via PC installed Zune.
29. Zune can only be installed if you have an internet connection
30. WI-Fi- hotspot and internet tethering not integral features in the OS but need to be provided by manufacturer on a case by case basis.
31. No HDMI output (Lumia specific)
32. No support for lossless audio format like FLAC and WMA lossless
33. Generally force users to use IE, Bing and SkyDrive by shutting out competitors or tying OS features to them.
34. Compass gives wrong reading in Southern hemisphere.
35. Cannot be upgraded to WP8 (Apollo)

USABILITY ISSUES
36. No always visible status bar for battery life, signal strength, carrier, 2G/3G wi-fi, Bluetooth status.
37. Task manager has no option to shut down apps you don’t want running in the background.
38. Search and Back button cannot be de-activated in apps or games and easily touched by accident.
39. Lock screen need to be activated to show missed call/sms notification.
40. No way to close an app except pressing back button all the way to the first screen.
41. Tiny fonts in messages is very hard to read for those over 45.
42. Cannot create and save playlists on the phone.
43. Playlist can only be edited when you are playing it.
44. Cannot search your music collection on the phone, only in the Marketplace.
45. Cannot close music player, can only pause. Music player on lock screen will stay until you reboot.
46. No draggable progress bar to set position for current track playing.
47. Cannot lock screen orientation.
48. Cannot save draft sms messages.
49. Cannot silence ringtone or alarm by flipping the phone.
50. Call history only show phone number type. If a contact has multiple phone nos. for a type the number used is unknown.
51. Cannot recognize phone numbers in sms or email to save or use as calling number.
52. Text messages can only be deleted one by one or the whole thread.
53. Cannot select multiple pictures for deleting, sending or uploading. They must be done one at a time.
54. No way to see photo details - dimensions, date/time taken, file size, etc.
55. Apps are listed alphabetically with no way to group by category. Can be hard to find if you don’t remember the name.
56. Calendar scheduler has no weekly view and monthly view is non-zoomable.
57. No peak/off-peak scheduling for email downloads.
58. Forwarded emails cannot be edited
59. If both wi-fi and data connection are available which one it chooses to use is unpredictable.
60. Option to output FM radio to speaker is cleverly hidden.
61. Cannot add or update podcasts directly from the phone.
62. No global search button for phone content.
63. Hardware search button is of limited use as it is hardwired to Bing.
64. Unable to read long names in audio and video playlist as they get cut off.
65. Alarm does not revert to speaker if headphones are plugged in.
66. If the phone is set to vibrate for incoming calls it will only vibrate once and may lead to missed calls.
67. Silent option for ringer is buried in Settings.

FEATURE LIMITATIONS
68. No live wallpaper, no widgets, no themes
69. No haptic feedback for keyboard.
70. No Swipe.
71. No flashplayer support.
72. No Silverlight support.
73. No support for Java apps.
74. No call recording or app to do it.
75. No call blocking or app to do it.
76. No screenshots or app to do it.
77. No data monitor and no app to do it.
78. No auto wallpaper changer and no app to do it.
79. Totally locked down OS means apps which interact directly with hardware not allowed. This excludes a whole range of useful apps.
80. No equalizer for Zune music player.
81. IE browser has no text reflow, no offline reading and will not download any file it does not recognize.
82. No 3rd party browsers allowed except those based on IE.
83. Volume up/down buttons cannot be used to zoom in camera (sign of an immature OS)
84. Cannot open zip or rar files received as email attachment.
85. Cannot send or receive video by MMS.
86. Office Mobile has much less features than 3rd party Office editors like SmartOffice, QuickOffice and Polaris. Shame on you, Microsoft!
87. Mobile Office cannot edit Office 97-2003 documents to force users to upgrade.
88. No native Google maps and Bing maps is useless for most countries outside U.S.
89. Email time stamp does not show the year.
90. Wide difference in apps availability in different markets and users locked to one market.
91. Not all Bing features available outside U.S. especially Local Scout.
92. Cannot reject a call with a sms – a downgrade from Symbian.
93. Cannot set all contacts offline (no calls) except for a designated list – a downgrade from Symbian.

DUMB AND DUMBER
94. One volume control for all functions including media playback, ringtones, alarms, notifications.
95. Wi-fi disconnects when screen sleeps.
96. Volume of text message alerts do not automatically reduce when using headphones or when talking on the phone which may cause your ears to be blasted.
97. Can only enter one mobile phone no. for each contact. Mobile nos. entered in other fields will not accept sms.
98. Cannot send/receive MMS without enabling 3G data connection. MMS does not use 3G data.
99. Phone cannot be charged when off.
100. Need to be plugged in to wall charger to sync wirelessly with Zune (a funny definition of wireless).
101. Oversized fonts for headings waste screen space and result in low information density
102. Phone will wake up and display sms content on lockscreen when locked – a privacy violation.
103. Phone can be rebooted without entering security code
104. Internet Explorer has no Forward button for page views
105. Cannot be charged up when battery is flat. (Lumia specific)
106. Bing maps need to tap to get voice direction for next turn.

FEATURES EVEN DUMB PHONES HAVE BUT WP7.5 DOESN’T
107. No bluetooth file transfer.
108. Cannot handle USSD codes necessary for prepaid users to obtain services.
109. Cannot filter call history into Missed Calls, Received Calls, Dialled Calls, Recent Calls, etc.
110. No way to backup or export calls history
111. Does not show call duration in call history?
112. No way to edit MMS profile for Operators in the OS. Need an app which is not available in all markets
113. Call history does not group calls by contact.
114. Call history does not show the time of call for calls older than current day.
115. Cannot set custom sounds for different types of notifications.
116. No ringer profiles.
117. Cannot send/receive contact as a csv file.
118. Cannot backup contacts to PC, only to SkyDrive
119. Cannot backup sms at all, not even to SkyDrive
120. Cannot save contact to SIM card.
121. Cannot change alarm ring tone or use a MP3 file.
122. Cannot set alarm snooze interval.
Old 18th July 2012, 17:57   #504
BHPian

Thanks. I will stay away from Windows phones now. Was seriously searching for one as those are the only ones that seem fully compatible with the Fiat Blue & Me.
Old 18th July 2012, 18:08   #505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Thanks. I will stay away from Windows phones now. Was seriously searching for one as those are the only ones that seem fully compatible with the Fiat Blue & Me.
I believe you should wait for the experts and actual user of Windows Phones to comment on this. This can be the handiwork of some Symbian/Android fanboy too.
Old 18th July 2012, 18:23   #506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
But Opera does not have the option of "Copy/Paste" which IE provides.
The "Copy/Paste" Option helps to copy required contents from/to the webpage.
have you tried long pressing the webpage in opera mini? I use copy/paste all the time.

EDIT: http://blog.vivekyadav.net/2011/12/t...touch-pro.html

I can pass my mortscripts to you if you want to use these functionalities. Now I use LG expo (still on WM6.5) and almost all of this stuff still works. I gave up on WP7 for all the restrictions and android for fragmentation. It's a mess. After a long research I went back to the fastest WM6.5 phone I could find.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 18th July 2012 at 18:27.
Old 18th July 2012, 19:03   #507
BHPian

Ive been using lumia 800 and frankly i havent faced any problems with relation to the OS. I decided to go for the phone just for its looks and till now not even once has the phone hanged. Emails are delivered as soon as they reach mailbox, whatsapp works, internet works, youtube works, songs work, videos work and i can view office documents.

Its supposed to be a phone not a human being but i never felt it limiting in anyway just as an iPhone. In neither of them can you send files via bluetooth and you always need to connect to a software on the pc to transfer files. The lumia 800 is fast and zippy and gets my work done even though i have a Note also. Though my note has hanged on several occasions the 800 hasnt.

The Metro UI has been appreciated the world over. And most of the features listed above in the absent section are also absent on the iPhone. So definitely the work of a fanboy.

Regards.
Old 18th July 2012, 19:18   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Ive been using lumia 800 and frankly i havent faced any problems with relation to the OS. I decided to go for the phone just for its looks and till now not even once has the phone hanged. Emails are delivered as soon as they reach mailbox, whatsapp works, internet works, Youtube works, songs work, videos work and i can view office documents.

Its supposed to be a phone not a human being but i never felt it limiting in anyway just as an iPhone. In neither of them can you send files via bluetooth and you always need to connect to a software on the pc to transfer files. The lumia 800 is fast and zippy and gets my work done even though i have a Note also. Though my note has hanged on several occasions the 800 hasnt.

The Metro UI has been appreciated the world over. And most of the features listed above in the absent section are also absent on the iPhone. So definitely the work of a fanboy.

Regards.
Quote:
And most of the features listed above in the absent section are also absent on the iPhone. So definitely the work of a fanboy.
Sir, it seems that i have been wrongly taken. I will state my views in points.

1. The primary issue here is not what works in Windows Phones. The issues are regarding what DOES NOT work. So saying that Lumia works okay for me/you is not the answer.

2. I also did not ask anybody to compare it to a iPhone. Compare it to a simple phone & you might find many suprising drawbacks.
iPhone is not a standard that everything should be compared too. Saying that iPhone also doesn't do it is not the way out.

3. My purpose was to know if the above points are correct or wrong. That has to cleared up point by point.

As a fellow BHPian and Windows Phone user, i am requesting you to verify some drawbacks listed above so that we can know the truth, if you have the time:-).
Old 18th July 2012, 19:45   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven

Sir, it seems that i have been wrongly taken. I will state my views in points.

As a fellow BHPian and Windows Phone user, i am requesting you to verify some drawbacks listed above so that we can know the truth, if you have the time:-).
No sir itseems ive been wrongly taken. What i meant to say was despite the drawbacks listed above windows phone works well for me. If one is interested in apps then windows phone is not the OS suitable for him. Although lots of games and apps are available but developers focus their attention mainly on iOS and Android so one would be disappointed if one opted for windows phone only to see so less apps.

The bluetooth car connectivity of windows phone is better and faster than my symbian N8. Even before i opted for the wp, i too read many drawbacks and still opted for it. Whatever they have stated is correct but then if we draw up a list of features absent in iPhone we would also get a similar list.

My comparison to the iPhone is because many people wrongly hold it as the pinnacle of modern mobile technology just like someone saying Swift is the best hatchback when there are other cars that if not better are similar in many aspects.

And regarding Blu & me in fiat, its based on Microsoft windows so it should work well it a windows phone. One thing ive noticed is i can route audio from the phone's apps through my figo's bluetooth system. Frankly i dont know how this happens but i noticed it one day while playing angry birds while sitting in the car.

Apologies if you felt wrongly intepreted. I was just stating my views.

Best regards
Partha.
Old 18th July 2012, 19:46   #510
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ive been using lumia 800 and frankly i havent faced any problems with relation to the OS. I decided to go for the phone just for its looks and till now not even once has the phone hanged. Emails are delivered as soon as they reach mailbox, whatsapp works, internet works, Youtube works, songs work, videos work and i can view office documents.
I agree. I have an HDC HD7, and for me its one the most user friendly phone I have ever used. I mean, it may not be a tech geek's dream, but does the job well. Currently, I use iPhone 4s but thats more because of the apps, especially the Team-bhp App .

The main drawback I felt is the limitations of bluetooth transfer. Especially that it does not sync with those photo printing kiosks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks