Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2012, 17:58   #601
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
You have to use Zune (installation file is 200MB+ download). Zune is the worst software to manage music. Actually Windows Media Player is far better than Zune. The most common problem with Zune is some of your MP3 files won't be recognized and won't show for syncing with your phone.

Common reason given by Microsoft Zune MVP are,
1) Tags are bad (why can't they use folder, filenames??)
2) Format is wrong (its MP3!!)
3) Incompatible DRM (why does rest of the music players have no problem??)
4) Music or the metadata is corrupted (??)
5) Any other lame excuse.

Or you might just be lucky and Zune would show all your files.

PS: Note that Zune can sync only music, video or pictures with your phone. No other file. For syncing any file, you have to use online storage like Skydrive.

After reading around a bit, I have also come to know that Windows phone currently don't offer bluetooth (a minor point depending on situation)
and also the Zune software doesn't allow transfer of doc pdf etc file formats!

Why such a regressive strategy by MS??
Old 5th October 2012, 18:59   #602
Distinguished - BHPian

Its working fine from the desktop. Only mobile is not connecting to IM. Hope this gets resolved soon.
Old 11th October 2012, 14:28   #603
BHPian

I was just exploring a Lumia 610. Tried for 15 mins to see if there font in Contact can be increased there is no such option. Checked Nokia website also only to see that Font cannot be changed. How the hell do they expect people to read a Size 8 font.

Is this the same in other phones as well or are they any better. I am contemplating a Win 8 phone for my dad but will ditch if the font size is so small across all the phones.
Old 11th October 2012, 14:36   #604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
I was just exploring a Lumia 610. Tried for 15 mins to see if there font in Contact can be increased there is no such option. Checked Nokia website also only to see that Font cannot be changed.
This issue is covered by item 15 here, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2843774
Old 11th October 2012, 15:00   #605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
This issue is covered by item 15 here, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2843774
Wow thanks for the list. With these limitations, I doubt I will even consider buying the Windows Phone. I tired downloading apps to increase the font size for contacts but after creating the live ID, it keeps on giving error code. App was did not download. Using Android is way too easy and practical.

Why they are even calling it smartphone with such limitations. It is even worse than phone launched 7 years ago by Nokia itself

Hope MS has seen this list and worked on it for Windows 8. Else they will remain a niche product and future classic because of Nokia Hardware
Old 12th October 2012, 10:40   #606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Wow thanks for the list. With these limitations, I doubt I will even consider buying the Windows Phone. I tired downloading apps to increase the font size for contacts but after creating the live ID, it keeps on giving error code. App was did not download. Using Android is way too easy and practical.
I have downloaded an app called Big Phonebook that displays numbers in bigger font. But it is too basic. There is no search facility
Old 15th October 2012, 12:57   #607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post
Thanks for this.
The site also has responses which counter the points where possible.
http://my-symbian.com/forum/viewtopi...=asc&start=150

But yes there are glaring disabilities in the WP platform - compared to Android.
Old 19th October 2012, 18:25   #608
mxx
BHPian

I am planning to get a windows phone. I would like to know from the wp users on how good is email/calendar/contact sync with google.
Old 20th October 2012, 11:07   #609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
I am planning to get a windows phone. I would like to know from the wp users on how good is email/calendar/contact sync with google.

I am using Windows phone (Omnia W) from past 7 months and i can say that email, calendar and contact sync from Gmail is very good.

I would advice you to wait for windows 8 phone rather going for windows 7.5 as the same will not be upgraded to windows 8 due to hardware restrictions.

Though it will be upgraded to 7.8 but the faith is still not known.

please check the limitations of windows phone mentioned in the following link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2843774

Note: the above link was posted by fellow bhpian Msdivy and i have referred the same in my post.
Old 23rd October 2012, 12:54   #610
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
I am using Windows phone (Omnia W) from past 7 months and i can say that email, calendar and contact sync from Gmail is very good.

I would advice you to wait for windows 8 phone rather going for windows 7.5 as the same will not be upgraded to windows 8 due to hardware restrictions.

Though it will be upgraded to 7.8 but the faith is still not known.

please check the limitations of windows phone mentioned in the following link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2843774

Note: the above link was posted by fellow bhpian Msdivy and i have referred the same in my post.
Thanks for the info.
I am aware of the limitations and non-compatibility with wp8. I already have an android ICS phone. I need a not so expensive second phone, and there are a lot of things I like about windows phone, specially the interface. so, maybe lumia 610 or 710.

One question I forgot to ask in the previous post: Is the a google drive app for wp7?

Last edited by mxx : 23rd October 2012 at 13:00.
Old 23rd October 2012, 14:04   #611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
One question I forgot to ask in the previous post: Is the a google drive app for wp7?
All Nokia Lumias have Nokia Drive, which is an excellent offline navigation map. Only draw back is to search for destination it need to be online, but that also depends on destination.
Old 23rd October 2012, 14:14   #612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
All Nokia Lumias have Nokia Drive, which is an excellent offline navigation map. Only draw back is to search for destination it need to be online, but that also depends on destination.
Vikram, he meant Google Drive (erstwhile Docs). I dont think there is a Google Drive app on the WPstore, preserving interests of SkyDrive perhaps?
Old 23rd October 2012, 20:37   #613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recompose View Post
Vikram, he meant Google Drive (erstwhile Docs). I dont think there is a Google Drive app on the WPstore, preserving interests of SkyDrive perhaps?
there is a google drive app called Gmaps only thing is lack is voice navigation, otherwise it has drive mode.
Old 24th October 2012, 22:49   #614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindgrinder View Post
there is a google drive app called Gmaps only thing is lack is voice navigation, otherwise it has drive mode.
Going here, but Google drive is not a mapping application! It used to be google docs. Wiki link

The op asked for a google drive replacement, not a mapping tool.
Old 25th October 2012, 07:17   #615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recompose View Post
Going here, but Google drive is not a mapping application! It used to be google docs. Wiki link

The op asked for a google drive replacement, not a mapping tool.
oh ok i got a little confused, yes there is no official application available but some developer is working on a version, however in microsoft ecosystem i would recommend using skydrive. Google has not released many official apps for WP7.

Most Viewed