Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2012, 12:10   #646
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Can anyone elucidate how Nokia Lumia 510 is different from 610.
Or in other words, why should I pay more for 610, when I don't see anything different ...
Old 3rd December 2012, 12:26   #647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Can anyone elucidate how Nokia Lumia 510 is different from 610.
Or in other words, why should I pay more for 610, when I don't see anything different ...
This should help you.

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone2=5069

From the quick glance I gave the comparison, I found that only storage is more in the 610. Everything else is more or less the same.

Edit: And the 610's display has a slightly higher pixel density.

Last edited by vikram_d : 3rd December 2012 at 12:27.
Old 3rd December 2012, 12:36   #648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
This should help you.

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone2=5069

From the quick glance I gave the comparison, I found that only storage is more in the 610. Everything else is more or less the same.

Edit: And the 610's display has a slightly higher pixel density.
Thanks, that reconfirms what I had inferred after reading around. Not much difference :(

610 vs 510
Memory is 8 GB vs 4 GB (Out of which only half would be usable, therefore 4 GB vs 2 GB)
Compass sensor vs no compass (useful for magnetic bearing)
Less Width and height vs less depth (less depth is always more preferable for comfort pocket fit)
same # of pixels in less display area vs same # of pixels in more display area (I believe slightly larger display is more useful than slightly larger pixel density)

Last edited by alpha1 : 3rd December 2012 at 12:39.
Old 3rd December 2012, 12:50   #649
BHPian

Quote:
According to my source it will be launched around the 2nd week of January. I got tired of waiting and got myself a HTC 8X.
Any major difference in UI and features from current 7.5 ?
Old 3rd December 2012, 13:05   #650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
610 vs 510
Memory is 8 GB vs 4 GB (Out of which only half would be usable, therefore 4 GB vs 2 GB)
It not actually half, its a fixed minimum that is needed for the OS, which I guess was around 2 GB or so (this was when the phone was initially launched. Not sure if it increased with updates that went in later) In 4GB vs 8GB, the additional 4GB is definitely usable space for you. First 4GB includes space for OS too, so only the rest can be used by you.

Please note that these phones do not have expandable memory. With lesser memory, you might end up having to free up space whenever you want to install something. I'm currently using up around 6GB with a reasonable app/games/pics/music collection. Would suggest you think of how your usage pattern would likely be before deciding on how much space you would need.
Old 3rd December 2012, 13:49   #651
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, that reconfirms what I had inferred after reading around. Not much difference :(

610 vs 510
Compass sensor vs no compass (useful for magnetic bearing)
Less Width and height vs less depth (less depth is always more preferable for comfort pocket fit)
same # of pixels in less display area vs same # of pixels in more display area (I believe slightly larger display is more useful than slightly larger pixel density)
I recently got myself a Lumia 510. The 4 GB memory is very less, but since I use a lot of Skydrive(7GB- all documents/ pictures there, only apps and music on phone), it doesn't really bother me.

I got this phone primarily due to the 4" screen. there's a huge difference in the real estate vs the 610 that helps in faster typing, and better viewing.

Cheers,
Tapish
Old 3rd December 2012, 13:58   #652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
I recently got myself a Lumia 510. The 4 GB memory is very less, but since I use a lot of Skydrive(7GB- all documents/ pictures there, only apps and music on phone), it doesn't really bother me.

I got this phone primarily due to the 4" screen. there's a huge difference in the real estate vs the 610 that helps in faster typing, and better viewing.

Cheers,
Tapish
I'm thinking about getting the Lumia 510 and have been doing a bit of pre shopping research. I couldn't find information regarding battery backup, 65k vs 16M display and ear volume.

How has your experience been with the 510 ? I'll be grateful if you could point me to the review that helped you decide.
Old 3rd December 2012, 14:00   #653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
Any major difference in UI and features from current 7.5 ?
Not many changes in the UI except for 3 tile sizes now compared to 2 earlier. Feature wise lots of changes. Too many to list in one go.

My favourite feature is the Kid's Corner. With this feature you can authorize apps and media that your child can access when he is using the phone. It's something like a Guest mode on PC's. I enable this feature every time I hand over my phone to son and he can only access stuff that has been authorized. Earlier without this feature he would end up making calls to all sorts of people and he even once has uploaded a photograph to my Facebook account without my knowledge and he is only 2 years old.

Last edited by vikram_d : 3rd December 2012 at 14:04.
Old 3rd December 2012, 14:03   #654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
I'm thinking about getting the Lumia 510 and have been doing a bit of pre shopping research. I couldn't find information regarding battery backup, 65k vs 16M display and ear volume.

How has your experience been with the 510 ? I'll be grateful if you could point me to the review that helped you decide.
Dear Vinu,

It was a on the spur decision for me. The only reviews I had seen were initial reports/ unboxing etc.

I shall try to help you to the best of my ability:
1. Battery backup: Good. Have to charge it once in 24 hours despite heavy/very heavy usage including internet/ ebook/ music/ calling.
2. Display: It isn't as crisp as the Samsung Led's but for the price, it is pretty good. At this price, the others are a full .5" smaller.
3. Ear volume: Is pretty good. Have used it in traffic/ noisy conditions and did not encounter any issues.

Cheers
Tapish
Old 3rd December 2012, 14:15   #655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
Dear Vinu,

It was a on the spur decision for me. The only reviews I had seen were initial reports/ unboxing etc.

I shall try to help you to the best of my ability:
1. Battery backup: Good. Have to charge it once in 24 hours despite heavy/very heavy usage including internet/ ebook/ music/ calling.
2. Display: It isn't as crisp as the Samsung Led's but for the price, it is pretty good. At this price, the others are a full .5" smaller.
3. Ear volume: Is pretty good. Have used it in traffic/ noisy conditions and did not encounter any issues.

Cheers
Tapish
Thank you Tapish. I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy S1 and want to replace it with a non-android 4". Good battery backup, display, ear volume and a stable OS without lags is what I was after and Lumia 510 seems like the way to go.

Thank you.

Last edited by vinu_h : 3rd December 2012 at 14:16.
Old 3rd December 2012, 15:23   #656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
he even once has uploaded a photograph to my Facebook account without my knowledge and he is only 2 years old.
Shows how easy it is to operate WP7. An ad idea

btw, how is the battery life in 8X? I'm confused between 8X and Lumia 820. (920 would be out of budget)

Last edited by zenren : 3rd December 2012 at 15:26.
Old 3rd December 2012, 15:27   #657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Shows how easy it is to operate WP7. An ad idea
Absolutely. And with WP8 the OS has only gotten better.
Old 3rd December 2012, 16:29   #658
BHPian

Already started seeing apps that will work only on WP8. So much for spending 30K just a year back. Now I don't want to spend another 30K on WP8 device. I will stick to Lumia 800 for another year atleast even if I don't get anymore apps. Not sure how many apps provider will release apps for both WP7 and WP8.
Old 3rd December 2012, 19:24   #659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
Already started seeing apps that will work only on WP8. So much for spending 30K just a year back. Now I don't want to spend another 30K on WP8 device. I will stick to Lumia 800 for another year atleast even if I don't get anymore apps. Not sure how many apps provider will release apps for both WP7 and WP8.
Which apps are not working for you? All the WP7 apps that I have installed on WP8 work fine and I haven't seen too many WP8 specific apps as of now. Either ways WP7 was dead even before it was born. That is the only reason I stuck on to my HD2 for so long. 3 years to be exact. I have never used a phone this long and no phone has held my interest for so long.

Last edited by vikram_d : 3rd December 2012 at 19:25.
Old 3rd December 2012, 19:30   #660
BHPian

Quote:
Which apps are not working for you? All the WP7 apps that I have installed on WP8 work fine and I haven't seen too many WP8 specific apps as of now. Either ways WP7 was dead even before it was born. That is the only reason I stuck on to my HD2 for so long. 3 years to be exact. I have never used a phone this long and no phone has held my interest for so long.
It is other way round. I have WP7 phone and app is WP8. I am referring to Flyte app from Flipkart. It is advertised on their website, but not available for download from Marketplace. Then I realised it is only for WP8, so I am not able to see it in Marketplace.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks