Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2012, 10:55   #706
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post
I also read 7.8 has been released by MS now , has anyone received the update notification and updated yet?
Based on online reports, the updates are spotted on Nokia servers but MS/Nokia are yet to release it officially. Not sure about other manufacturers if they are ready. Nothing on my HTC yet. News is still less than a day old; so I guess we might get a better picture this week on the formal release date.
Old 17th December 2012, 12:02   #707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post
Thanks Vikram

Are you also using any antivirus or firewall apps, if yes which ones are trustworthy and recommended for 7.5?

I also read 7.8 has been released by MS now , has anyone received the update notification and updated yet?

Which application to use for messenger ? I would assume live messenger should be available but can't find it in marketplace myself .. any pointers?
I dont use any antivirus/firewall software. Thankfully as of now there are no viruses for this OS.

According to what I have heard WP7.8 will officially start rolling out from Jan 2nd or 3rd week even though as Zenren has pointed out these updates have been found on Nokia servers. I have 3 different Nokia Lumia devices at home and on HD7. As of now, none of them are showing any updates available. Even the update on the Nokia server is for the Lumia 900 as per what I have read on the internet.

Live messenger is already buit into the OS. It is integrated in the messaging hub. You can chat directly from there. Facebook chat is also built into the messaging hub. For other chat platforms IM+ was the best that I had used. But this is old information as i have not used that in a long time now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoNanu View Post
Even I have looked for antivirus/ firewall apps but in vain, the fact that it is a Windows phone makes me desperate to have such apps ASAP
What does it being a Windows Phone have to do with antivirus/firewall?

Till date luckily there haven't been too many viruses for mobile OS'es as there have been a wide variety of them in the market. Now we have only 4 or 5 established OS'es. We will for sure see viruses emerge slowly now. But in my opinion WP for now is safe as it has a very small user base which is not at all an attraction to hackers/virus authors.
Old 17th December 2012, 12:30   #708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
I dont use any antivirus/firewall software. Thankfully as of now there are no viruses for this OS.

According to what I have heard WP7.8 will officially start rolling out from Jan 2nd or 3rd week even though as Zenren has pointed out these updates have been found on Nokia servers. I have 3 different Nokia Lumia devices at home and on HD7. As of now, none of them are showing any updates available. Even the update on the Nokia server is for the Lumia 900 as per what I have read on the internet.

Live messenger is already buit into the OS. It is integrated in the messaging hub. You can chat directly from there. Facebook chat is also built into the messaging hub. For other chat platforms IM+ was the best that I had used. But this is old information as i have not used that in a long time now.

What does it being a Windows Phone have to do with antivirus/firewall?

Till date luckily there haven't been too many viruses for mobile OS'es as there have been a wide variety of them in the market. Now we have only 4 or 5 established OS'es. We will for sure see viruses emerge slowly now. But in my opinion WP for now is safe as it has a very small user base which is not at all an attraction to hackers/virus authors.
You have correctly mentioned that due to small user base, currently there might not be any viruses/ malware. What I wanted to convey is based on the Windows OS history (being the favorite for virus infections/ attack), Windows Phone might also be a soft target. But as long as the user base is limited, we need not worry.
Old 17th December 2012, 13:01   #709
Senior - BHPian

Win 8 phone and devices should be out by next week and more by Jan 3rd.
Saw the skydrive on a win 8 mobile last week alone with other stuff; liked it! No delay in moving between windows too.

IIRC, some 280 plus device will be on Win 8 !
Old 17th December 2012, 13:12   #710
Senior - BHPian

Team,

what is your feedback on LUMIA 510. Decent phone at this price ?
Old 17th December 2012, 13:20   #711
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Team,

what is your feedback on LUMIA 510. Decent phone at this price ?
It's a good entry level phone but I feel the RAM and storage are very low. It has 4Gb storage and the user will only get about 2 - 3 Gb free. Also RAM is a on the lower side.

Breaking news: WP7.8 update for some Lumia's rolling out now.

http://www.redmondpie.com/windows-ph...lling-out-now/

Edit: Just found out that the Lumia 510 has only 2.2 Gb usable storage.

First impressions from Engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/23/n...-510-hands-on/

Last edited by vikram_d : 17th December 2012 at 13:25.
Old 17th December 2012, 13:51   #712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoNanu View Post
Even I have looked for antivirus/ firewall apps but in vain, the fact that it is a Windows phone makes me desperate to have such apps ASAP
Microsoft has copied Apple'e ecosystem in Windows Phone, ie all apps are installed from app store and all apps in the store are pre-screened. So you get to install only white-listed apps. In contrast, anti-virus software black list apps & check them if they are on the phone. So in iPhone or WP, if you run only those that were obtained from app store, you don't need anti-virus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Edit: Just found out that the Lumia 510 has only 2.2 Gb usable storage.
Somebody sued Microsoft for giving 16GB free space in 32GB Surface
Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Mic...age,19130.html

Last edited by msdivy : 17th December 2012 at 13:52.
Old 17th December 2012, 14:33   #713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Somebody sued Microsoft for giving 16GB free space in 32GB Surface
Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Mic...age,19130.html
Yes I know. On my 32Gb Iconia W500 after installing Windows 8. I had about 20Gb free and after some updates I have only 13Gb left. :-(
Old 19th December 2012, 11:06   #714
BHPian

The Windows Phone 7.8 upgrade on existing Nokia devices running on Windows Phone 7.5 is now available on the Nokia Lumia 900, 800, 710 and 510 but Lumia 610 users will have to wait.

Source
http://mobigyaan.com/windows-phone-7...via-nokia-care
Old 19th December 2012, 11:32   #715
BHPian

Looks like this update is available only through Nokia Care Centers at the moment, and not OTA. Not sure if the update is authorised by MS or Nokia either.
Old 19th December 2012, 11:44   #716
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
The Windows Phone 7.8 upgrade on existing Nokia devices running on Windows Phone 7.5 is now available on the Nokia Lumia 900, 800, 710 and 510 but Lumia 610 users will have to wait.

Source
http://mobigyaan.com/windows-phone-7...via-nokia-care
As of now this update is only through Nokia Care Centers. For those who want to do it on their own will have to wait till the 1st week of Jan.
Old 19th December 2012, 11:47   #717
Distinguished - BHPian

Yayy! Called up Nokia care and they said they would upgrade it. Taking the phone at lunch time. Lets see how things work out. Thanks a lot for that news man!
Old 19th December 2012, 12:08   #718
BHPian

Though i haven't checked for any update for my Omnia W. I hope that it gets its share with new features of Nokia Lumia's .
Old 19th December 2012, 16:27   #719
Distinguished - BHPian

Got the update done. Not much significant changes on the outside except the fonts and start screen. Bluetooth sharing is now enabled.
Old 20th December 2012, 11:04   #720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Got the update done. Not much significant changes on the outside except the fonts and start screen. Bluetooth sharing is now enabled.
Can you please check if font for phone number of a contact is any bigger than earlier? or can it be resized/zoomed?

I have difficulty in reading phone number when I am outdoor. I have anyway downloaded Rapdialer kind of application which has got bigge font.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks